Rams notebook: Pead, Cunningham get extra work

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Joe Lyons
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-notebook-pead-cunningham-get-extra-work/article_33fbcbf0-50e8-595d-a260-aadf03a6ccf1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 6ccf1.html</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/84/7848cd41-d2bf-5e32-96cd-86ad96d5dbd4/523a8244a7239.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]After missing some practice time last week with a foot injury, Daryl Richardson was one of nine Rams sitting out Wednesday’s workout at Rams Park. In fact, the second-year back had a boot on his left foot.
“He didn’t practice today, but we should have him back on the field tomorrow,’’ said Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Richardson leads the Rams with 98 rushing yards and is third on the squad with 10 catches for 78 yards.

With Richardson out, Isaiah Pead and Benny Cunningham got the Wednesday reps with the starters. But neither back is reading too much into it.

“Can’t worry about coaches’ decisions. I just have to focus on the next day’s practice and on doing what I need to do to get better,’’ Pead said.

Cunningham agreed: “I don’t feel (Richardson) not practicing will change my approach at all. I just feel like no matter who’s practicing, I have to prepare myself as if I’m a starter. That way, when my number is called, I’m ready because I’ve prepared myself for the opportunity.’’

Both Pead and Cunningham saw their first action from scrimmage in Atlanta. Pead, who was suspended for the season-opening victory over Arizona, gained a yard on his one carry and caught two passes for 18 yards, seeing a good amount of action when the Rams fell behind and went to the hurry-up attack.

Pead, a second-round draft pick in 2012, “did fine,” Fisher said. “He understands that part of the game. He creates some matchups, he made some catches (and) he shows he’s got run-after-catch ability.’’

Cunningham, the Rams’ rookie kick returner, picked up his first two carries from scrimmage in Atlanta but failed to gain any yards.

“Great experience, but I wasn’t too pleased with my performance,’’ Cunningham said. “I just felt like I should’ve had more of an impact on the game. But again, it gave me some insight into what it takes to run the ball in the NFL and something I can build on.’’

INJURY REPORT

The Rams’ initial injury report of the week included 10 players. And just one of those, safety Darian Stewart, did any work during Wednesday’s practice.
The nine who didn’t practice are: tackle Rodger Saffold (knee), defensive ends Chris Long (hip), William Hayes (hip) and Eugene Sims (foot), cornerbacks Cortland Finnegan (nose) and Quinton Pointer (thigh), tight end Mike McNeill (chest) and guard Chris Williams (foot).

Fisher feels that most of the injured players will be back soon.

“There were a number of players that didn’t practice (who) I think probably could have,’’ said the coach, noting that the team follows up on Sunday’s game in Dallas with a Thursday, Sept. 26 showdown with the San Francisco 49ers at the Edward Jones Dome.

“We talked about it with the team late Monday, about what our plans were and how we have to not look past the Cowboys but understand what the challenges are with the short week next week,’’ he said.

Out with a thigh-hamstring injury since early in the preseason game against Green Bay on Aug. 17, Stewart participated in practice on a limited basis.

“It’s been a while, but it feels good to be back out there, working with my teammates,’’ the 25-year-old said.

For the Cowboys, wide receiver Dez Bryant (back), linebacker Ernie Sims (groin) and defensive end Anthony Spencer (knee) did not practice while defensive end DeMarcus Ware (neck) and cornerback Morris Claiborne (shoulder) had limited participation.

Quarterback Tony Romo, who has been bothered with sore ribs, practiced.