Rams may franchise tag Jenkins not Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Getlin: 'Firmly believe' LA will tag Jenkins
6473.jpg

NFL Network's Rand Getlin "firmly" believes the Rams will use the franchise tag on impending free agent CB Janoris Jenkins.

Reports have suggested fellow impending free agent CB Trumaine Johnson is more likely to receive the tag, but Los Angeles may feel better about their chances of working out a long-term deal with Johnson before free agency. Jenkins reportedly turned down a five-year, $45 million proposal before firing his agent. With Jenkins unable to officially hire a new agent within five days of firing his previous one, negotiations between the two sides are on hold. The only thing clear at this point is the Rams will tag one of their impending free agent corners before the deadline this afternoon.
Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 1 - 9:39 AM

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't care how we work it, as long as we keep them both!!(y)(y)

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It seems to be the only way to keep both. Also, why tag Johnson unless he's not happy with any offer that he's gotten?

A55VA6

Legend
I have more confidence in signing tru long term, so tagging jenkins might be smart. Plus it would give jenkins a year in LA to realize again that he fuckin loves fuckin LA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah been sayin it... Fish loves him some jackrabbit, always has, and teams threw at Tru for a reason last year. Also, Tru wouldn't even have started last year had it not been for Gaines' injury. While Tru has that size, he also has not been able to stay healthy and that's where Jenks excels. So IMO it's likely Jenks gets the tag which is good because then he'll only be on a one year deal and can't tank with the big contract.

Either way whoever hits FA will be the top CB on the market now that Norman got the franchise tag.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah been sayin it... Fish loves him some jackrabbit, always has, and teams threw at Tru for a reason last year.
Wouldn't the fact that we often rolled coverage to #1 receivers also explain why teams threw to the other side?
And when QBs *did* throw to Tru's side, they came back with a 55 QB Rating.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would like to have both but Jenkins has really rubbed me the wrong way through this process and I would rather keep Johnson if it came down to it.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Please hope its Janoris. If not Hargreaves is in play for 1st round pick

yes but wouldn't it suck to spend a 1st on a position we already have filled? yes it would...... we need to pay the man.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wouldn't the fact that we often rolled coverage to #1 receivers also explain why teams threw to the other side?

Maybe. But there was a clear aversion by QBs to throw at Jenks and for good reason IMO. What worries me about both is them putting it all together in their contract seasons, but what can you do. Tru has that length teams covet now, but he also gets dinged up. Jenks has been an ironman, and that matters too I think.

Psycho_X

Legend

And 7 interceptions... Fisherball down right relies on the defense creating turnovers to supplement the low scoring, time eating offense he likes to annoyingly stand by. And no one was better at that than Tru last season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just keep them both please, it's not much to ask and as Ram fans we deserve to keep the secondary in tact....Do whatever it takes because they are two lock down corners IMHO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Please hope its Janoris. If not Hargreaves is in play for 1st round pick

I don't think that would be likely. The Rams will have to trade up for him. Doubt they'd do it in a corner deep draft.

Yeah been sayin it... Fish loves him some jackrabbit, always has, and teams threw at Tru for a reason last year. Also, Tru wouldn't even have started last year had it not been for Gaines' injury. While Tru has that size, he also has not been able to stay healthy and that's where Jenks excels. So IMO it's likely Jenks gets the tag which is good because then he'll only be on a one year deal and can't tank with the big contract.

Either way whoever hits FA will be the top CB on the market now that Norman got the franchise tag.

They were going to tag Johnson. However, since JJ can no longer negotiate with them before Free Agency they are focused on signing Johnson first. So they have to tag JJ to prevent him from getting other offers. Logical

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I hope this move doesn't bite them in the ass and causes them to lose Trumaine. If they can't work out a deal with him, they're stuck with a disgruntled Jenkins on a 1 year deal that doesn't seem entirely willing to re-sign.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I hope this move doesn't bite them in the ass and causes them to lose Trumaine. If they can't work out a deal with him, they're stuck with a disgruntled Jenkins on a 1 year deal that doesn't seem entirely willing to re-sign.

Hopefully they see it as 1 year to gauge the health of Gaines and continue to develop their younger corners. Then if Jenkins has played consistently, like last season, offer him the big contract.

Maybe take a corner in the later rounds to develop and spend the early draft capital on offense. Instead of losing Jenkins and have to spend an early pick on a corner.

Psycho_X

Legend
Franchise tags are being reported a lot now. Will know soon enough who they are tagging. Looks like so far Cousins, Von Miller, Norman, Jeffreys, and C Glenn have been slapped with them.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Hopefully they see it as 1 year to gauge the health of Gaines and continue to develop their younger corners. Then if Jenkins has played consistently, like last season, offer him the big contract.

Maybe take a corner in the later rounds to develop and spend the early draft capital on offense. Instead of losing Jenkins and have to spend an early pick on a corner.
Just what I was thinking! Hopefully you can sign Tru longterm, and keep Jenkins for the year on the tag. See how Gaines plays, and if Gaines and Tru can get it done than don't extend Jenkins and move on. Gaines is iffy due to coming back from injury so I wouldn't place all my bets on him yet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate the idea of tying up that kind of capital in JJ with the franchise tag, he has not earned it. The 5 years at $45M is a good offer and equates to what he has done. Giving himself a nickname does not mean he is great and he's been a pain in the ass.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
One hour to go , Rams must working hard on getting one of them locked up