Rams make sure not to forget injured Quick/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams make sure not to forget injured Quick
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8bdd8e46-a288-58e6-91a5-7c2f84053ad0.html

Jersey No. 83 looked a little lonely hanging in Brian Quick’s locker stall week after week, so in early December Kenny Britt decided to start wearing it in practice every day.

“It’s to let him know that we never forgot about him,” Britt said. “We know he wants to be out there on the field with us. Hopefully, he sees that and he feels like he’s still part of this receiver corps, still part of this offense. And knows that we’re gonna need him next year.”

The Rams could’ve used him this season, too, in the nine-plus games he missed following a season-ending shoulder injury early in Game 7 at Kansas City.

After two largely quiet seasons, when he combined for 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns, Quick had things clicking in 2014. His 25 catches, 375 yards, and three TDs all were career highs — and he did that less than 6 ½ games.

Projected over 16 games, Quick was on pace for 64 catches, 973 yards, and eight TDs. But early in the second quarter of that Game 7 at KC, Quick was tackled from behind on a comeback route after a 10-yard pass reception.

Quick landed on his left shoulder. It wasn’t a particularly hard hit, but Quick was in sharp pain right away. Even so, he thought his shoulder had merely popped out.

“I just thought it as a regular pop-out,” Quick said last week, in his first interview since the injury. “And I’m thinking I’m going back in. I was telling (team medical officials), ‘Somebody pop it in. I’m going back in the game,’ The X-ray took forever, and then they’re telling me I’m not going to play the rest of the game.”

When he got an MRI exam the next day back in St. Louis, Quick found out he wasn’t going to play the rest of the season. The injury turned out to be more severe than anticipated.

“A lot more than expected,” Quick said. “I know that for a fact. My rotator cuff, and three ligaments torn within my rotator cuff. But I’m doing better now.”

Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery in Pensacola, Fla. Quick no longer has to wear a sling, but he said he still needed help to open his Christmas presents.

A little more than two months removed from the injury, Quick’s shoulder rehab is still at a relatively early stage.

“I’m doing range of motion right now, just trying to get that strength back,” Quick said. “I’m using a little weight right now, a three-pound weight just to try and get that strength back up. So we’re moving forward with everything.”

Quick isn’t sure when he’ll return. But shortly after the surgery, coach Jeff Fisher indicated that Quick might not return until training camp. Raw as can be when he came into the NFL as a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Appalachian State, Quick seemingly could still use every practice rep he can get.

But if he has to sit out the entire offseason program, as well at the OTA practice sessions in June, Quick doesn’t think it will set him back.

“Most of it’s mental,” he said. “This game is mental. So as long as I stay focused mentally, I’ll be prepared. I do need to be out there with the pace (of the game and practice). But me having three years in, I have an advantage.”

Quick says he kept his head in the game during the season, be it at practice or games. Britt, the veteran of the wide receiver unit with six seasons in, hopes it says that way. Injured players can quickly be forgotten at a team’s facility, particularly those that are out for the season.

So the Rams’ pass-catchers organized some wide receiver dinners, just so Quick would know that he wasn’t forgotten.

“We just wanted to see him, get him out of the house,” Britt said. “I just hope he stays on top of everything.”

After catching only 11 passes as a rookie and 18 passes in 2013, the light switch finally came on for Quick this season as he gained a better understanding of the offense and how to run routes. He’s also learning how to use his big frame (6-3, 218) to his advantage when it comes to competing for those 50-50 balls.

Teamed with Britt (6-3, 223), Quick’s emergence gave the Rams a pair of big bodies at wide receiver that potentially could pose problems for opposing secondaries. Britt played a big role in helping the younger Quick work on his game and his approach to the game.

“He’s like family to me,” Quick said. “That’s like a brother from another mother to me. We’ve been so close. We’re beginning to develop that bond.”

For that bond to develop, the Rams need to re-sign Britt, who’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. That would bolster what Quick describes as a young, developing receiver corps.

“They’re starting to blossom,” Quick said. “Our guys, they’re starting to show. When they throw the ball, we make plays. And everybody gets to see it. If we just continue to do what we’re supposed to do in the classroom and do the things we need to do on the field, we’ll become better.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Good to see britt saying "we're gonna need him next year".

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I was trying to keep reminding everyone of this after Quick went down and people were saying our WRs are crap again.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I believe Quick and Britt could be our New Version of Bruce and Holt! As long as Bradford stays healthy!!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
While I like our current group of WRs we dont need to ignore that this draft is extremely deep at the position. It could be like last years group were 5 or 6 guys come in and set the league on fire. Would be hard to pass on cooper if hes sitting there at 10

CoachO

Hall of Fame
7 seasons since we've had an 1000 yard receiver. Would be nice.

Do you think they will have a 1000 yard WR in this system? First of all, they just aren't going to air it out enough to think that is likely. Second, and more telling to me, is their approach. Even with a back up and a back up to the back up at QB this year, they still managed to spread the ball around where they had 7 guys with 25 or more catches.

I don't see that changing, even with the emergence of Quick, and retaining Britt.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Another example of the leadership that Kenny Britt has brought to the Rams.... I saw this bond between Britt and Quick at training camp. Britt is the most energetic and encouraging guy I've seen on this team in a long time... we need him back.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Quick was one of the more crushing losses this year. Losing Bradford was the #1 loss, but I'd say losing Quick was #2. Chris Long's loss on the field was more of a leadership void, while I'm not so sure anymore what we lost going w/ Robinson vs. J. Long... wasn't it J. Long whiffing on a Cleveland DE in pre-season that got Bradford injured in the first place?
I sure hope Quick can return to form... not being able to open a Christmas present??? Does anyone have any idea of how quickly Quick could possibly return to form after rotator cuff & ligament damage like this?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
7 seasons since we've had an 1000 yard receiver. Would be nice.
Do you think they will have a 1000 yard WR in this system? First of all, they just aren't going to air it out enough to think that is likely. Second, and more telling to me, is their approach. Even with a back up and a back up to the back up at QB this year, they still managed to spread the ball around where they had 7 guys with 25 or more catches.

I don't see that changing, even with the emergence of Quick, and retaining Britt.
Firstly I do not see why it would matter if we had a 1000 yd receiver, it doesn't magically make us a playoff team. And secondly it could definitely happen with a healthy Bradford, even if we do spread the ball around. Britt came close this season, 748, and there was plenty of missed opportunities. After the 1st two games of the season he only had one catch and one target. During the Davis campaign he missed a wide open Britt numerous times, usually deep. I was rewatching the Denver game yesterday, and on the first drive Hill hits a wide open Britt for 30+, had Hill hit him in stride it would've been a 60+ TD.

Athos

Legend

Good to see britt saying "we're gonna need him next year".

Those two seem to have a bromance going on. And it's actually awesome. I'm not sure Quick flashes as early and as strongly this season without Britt's mentoring.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I could easily see Quick breaking 1,000 if Bradford is healthy for even 3/4ths the year and Quick stays relativity clean himself. He was clearly emerging as the Rams #1 overall threat on offense as the year went on. He had won over Schotty's respect finally too and was getting his number called often.

The Holt and Bruce comparison is obviously a reach, but I did honestly really like the rapport that he and Britt had going. It's nice to have receivers with an edge and passion for the ball without being divas. All the greats have it. It's also nice to have some big targets for your 6' 5" QB. Think we all can agree on that.

Firstly I do not see why it would matter if we had a 1000 yd receiver, it doesn't magically make us a playoff team. And secondly it could definitely happen with a healthy Bradford, even if we do spread the ball around. Britt came close this season, 748, and there was plenty of missed opportunities. After the 1st two games of the season he only had one catch and one target. During the Davis campaign he missed a wide open Britt numerous times, usually deep. I was rewatching the Denver game yesterday, and on the first drive Hill hits a wide open Britt for 30+, had Hill hit him in stride it would've been a 60+ TD.

It doesn't necessarily matter, I was just pointing out that it's been a while since we've had one. I think every team in the playoffs but Arizona has an 1,000 yard receiver this year too, and I'm pretty positive they get there themselves without major injuries either. Again, not life or death, but it's rare for any respectable offense in the current NFL to not have one, or at least someone close.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Quick was one of the more crushing losses this year. Losing Bradford was the #1 loss, but I'd say losing Quick was #2. Chris Long's loss on the field was more of a leadership void, while I'm not so sure anymore what we lost going w/ Robinson vs. J. Long... wasn't it J. Long whiffing on a Cleveland DE in pre-season that got Bradford injured in the first place?
I sure hope Quick can return to form... not being able to open a Christmas present??? Does anyone have any idea of how quickly Quick could possibly return to form after rotator cuff & ligament damage like this?

From and emotional standpoint, losing Quick was definitely crushing; only Sam's loss hit me harder. I think losing Jake Long might have been worse though, not because of Robinson replacing him but because it resulted in moving Saffold to LG and replacing him with Joseph at RG. Before that, Wells was the only real weak link in our OL, after that we had two terribly weak links next to one another.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While I like our current group of WRs we dont need to ignore that this draft is extremely deep at the position. It could be like last years group were 5 or 6 guys come in and set the league on fire. Would be hard to pass on cooper if hes sitting there at 10

Yes. The BPA rule early is very important, particularly at skill positions.

IMO.

FRO

Legend

Well Quick was on pace to get pretty close to 1,000 yards.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well Quick was on pace to get pretty close to 1,000 yards.
I'm not saying it won't happen, but its not likely that they will ever focus on getting the ball to just one guy. No one is/was a bigger supporter of Brian Quick as you know. But as he was becoming a focal point of our passing game, teams were paying much closer attention to him. His numbers were beginning to fluctuate as the season progressed.

I just don't think it makes a lot of difference in the big picture if they do or don't have a 1000 yard guy. I would much rather they end up with 4 guys in the 600-800 yard range than one with 1000 and the rest all hovering around 400.

FRO

Legend
I'm not saying it won't happen, but its not likely that they will ever focus on getting the ball to just one guy. No one is/was a bigger supporter of Brian Quick as you know. But as he was becoming a focal point of our passing game, teams were paying much closer attention to him. His numbers were beginning to fluctuate as the season progressed.

I just don't think it makes a lot of difference in the big picture if they do or don't have a 1000 yard guy. I would much rather they end up with 4 guys in the 600-800 yard range than one with 1000 and the rest all hovering around 400.
I thought Davis was the reason his numbers were tailing off. It's the same reason Britt and Bailey had more chances once Hill was inserted. I was upset that they went away from Quick. He was our best player early on.