Rams interested in OG Geoff Schwartz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with a question:
Really? Why?
“Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Alan

Legend
No, I basically expect him to be a decent pick up for a team in desperate need of a guard. What I don't expect is the next coming. On the other hand, maybe he just didn't get the breaks but he's played in 61 games and started 26 in 5 years. He had to have done a really good job of hiding his talents for all those years for us to expect him to be a dominate guard.

jjab360

Legend
No, I basically expect him to be a decent pick up for a team in desperate need of a guard. What I don't expect is the next coming. On the other hand, maybe he just didn't get the breaks but he's played in 61 games and started 26 in 5 years. He had to have done a really good job of hiding his talents for all those years for us to expect him to be a dominate guard.
Well, considering that he has already proven himself capable of playing at a dominant level whenever he actually does see the field, I'd say that renders whatever reason his coaches didn't put him out there essentially trivial.

Alan

Legend
What about all those other times he was on the field and didn't show any dominance? I'm always extremely leery of players who have one good year after years of less than stellar play. How many times have we seen that?

I hope you're right though. Only if we sign him of course. :coffee:

jjab360

Legend
What about all those other times he was on the field and didn't show any dominance? I'm always extremely leery of players who have one good year after years of less than stellar play. How many times have we seen that?

I hope you're right though. Only if we sign him of course. :coffee:
Here's the thing, though. What less than stellar play? He was a very good starter for the Panthers, very good in limited time with the Vikings, and then of course, very, very good for the Chiefs last year. The only reason that play hasn't turned into a contract for him yet is because he had a bad hip injury his last year with the Panthers, never got enough PT to prove himself with the Vikings, and his time with the Chiefs leads us to well.. now.

I could understand if you're talking about Laurent Robinson who was a sucky receiver for the Rams, then had one good year with the Cowboys, that's a scary Free Agent prospect because you don't know which guy you're going to get. It's not the same thing with a guy who essentially has nothing but relatively good tape out there from what I've heard from everyone who's watched him play extensively.

Alan

Legend
Could be jjab. Sometimes fate just conspires against you so maybe. I'm not going to invest any kool-aid in him unless we actually sign him.

jjab360

Legend
Could be jjab. Sometimes fate just conspires against you so maybe. I'm not going to invest any kool-aid in him unless we actually sign him.
Fair enough, I guess I just like my kool-aid pre-stirred, Alan. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not? By all accounts, Schwartz was a monster run blocker last year, with the Vikings in limited time, and with the Panthers. Saffold was a guy who's run blocking I underrated and turned out be pretty good, but I think Schwartz could be even better.

Because Schwartz doesn't move like Saffold. Saffold has the drive blocking power and was elite at blocking on the move at OG. His feet, balance and athleticism made him so lethal when he pulled. Schwartz doesn't have that type of athleticism or movement skills. He's more of a straight ahead drive blocker whereas Saffold did both extremely well.

I don't think Schwartz will be even better but Saffold is history now. And he'll likely be playing LT in Oakland which won't make best use of his skill-set anyways.

Schwartz is a solid player. I liked him back when he was playing for Carolina and couldn't understand why he rode the bench the past couple of years. But he's not an elite player. IMO, Saffold had that type of ability at OG.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm amazed and impressed with how you guys have studied so much of the Kansas City offensive line.

Alan

Legend
Hey, I know nothing! I merely googled his stats and used my version of logic concerning what I saw to comment on him.

On the other hand, I am amazing aren't I? :whistle:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I just hope we don't get dicked around like last year. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Long came here, and I understand it's not an easy decision, but as a fan I hate that game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schwartz is signing with the Giants.