Rams Have Not Made Decision on Franchise Tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Posted Mar 1, 2018
mmonsRams Insider@MylesASimmons

INDIANAPOLIS — Though there’s been widespread speculation that the Rams will use the franchise or transition tag on one of their pending free agents, general manager Les Snead intimated on Thursday that Los Angeles has not made a final decision on that front.

“We definitely know we’ve got it, and we know we’ve got to use it strategically,” Snead said of the tag at the 2018 NFL Combine. “How we do that will depend on the next few weeks. But we’re well aware it’s in the back pocket. And we’re also trying to get things done without using it.”

Teams have until March 6 to designate one player for either the franchise or transition tag, so the Rams still have a bit of time to work out if they would like to use that option.

Two players who have consistently come up as tag candidates are safety Lamarcus Joyner and wide receiver Sammy Watkins. Both performed well for Los Angeles in 2017, and figure to be in the club’s plans moving forward. Snead was asked about Joyner on Thursday, but in his answer addressed all of the club’s free agents.

“It’s very important. All the guys we’re going to talk about who are up are important,” Snead said. “t’s a process. Wish it could get all done tomorrow. But definitely, I can tell you that that’s an important task to work through, Lamarcus and a lot of other guys.”

When it comes to Watkins, Snead admitted that there is a bit more urgency to his situation given that L.A. traded its 2018 second-round pick as part of the package to acquire the wideout last summer.

“I think when we did it, and you give up a second-round pick, we talked through the future, and it would be nice to make this more than just a one-year situation. So that’s definitely talked about,” Snead said.

But as also Snead noted, if it so happens that the Rams are not able to retain Watkins, there is the possibili
PHOTOS: Rams Combine Through the Years
club could recoup a compensatory draft pick. However, that selection would not be in the second round, because all compensatory picks begin in the third.

“You just talk through all those variables,” Snead said. “But the goal was, it would be nice [to reach a new deal] because, it’s hard to find talent at receiver. And it’d be nice to have a little long-term relationship, not just short term.”

As for the player the Rams have placed the franchise tag on for the last two seasons, cornerback Trumaine Johnson is also slated to become an unrestricted free agent on March 14. And like head coach Sean McVay on Wednesday, Snead said Thursday that bringing back Johnson remains a possibility for Los Angeles.

“I think the goal is to have really good players — as many as possible,” Snead said, “especially in the defensive backfield."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If it must be used, I can't imagine it going to anyone other than Joyner. The money (CAP) is far too important this year, and the Rams have more options at WR. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams may already have a potential Sammy Watkins replacement on the roster

usatsi_10465992.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | March 1, 2018 2:45 pm ET

Sammy Watkins was hardly impressive in his first season with the Los Angeles Rams. In 15 games, he caught 39 passes for 590 yards and eight touchdowns, struggling to find his footing in Sean McVay’s “spread it around” offense.

After being acquired for a second-round pick and E.J. Gaines, Watkins was expected to be Jared Goff’s go-to guy. Obviously, that never came to fruition and now the 24-year-old receiver is set to become a free agent in March.

Sean McVay said on Wednesday that bringing Watkins back is “definitely something we want to do,” but he led that comment with a caveat: “If we can make that work.”

usatsi_10214704.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Does that signal Watkins’ departure is on the horizon? Hardly. McVay made it clear that “it’s so important to get him back,” but it’s going to take some salary cap work to make it happen. Watkins is the top free-agent wide receiver in 2018 and the franchise tag will cost the Rams more than $16 million.

Like this article?
Sign up for the Rams Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

If the Rams were to let Watkins walk, which is definitely a possibility, they’d have to replace him somehow. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp are firmly entrenched as the top receivers right now, but so much of the Rams’ offense is built upon 11 personnel: one running back, one tight end and three receivers on the field.

No team ran more plays out of that grouping than the Rams in 2017, so having three strong receivers is crucial to their success. That’s what makes losing Watkins so difficult to fathom.

What if the Rams already had a potential replacement for him on the roster, though? Numbers would suggest they don’t, but Josh Reynolds is a wildly intriguing prospect after having such a quiet rookie season.

If you listen to what Les Snead and McVay are saying about Reynolds, too, you’ll begin to realize he’s a big part of their future.

“We were very impressed with Josh. Fortunately, we had a deep receiving crew that for the most part was healthy,” Snead said at the combine on Thursday. “But throughout the year at Texas A&M, there was a few things he did at practice, and even in games, where you’re like, ‘Wow, OK. That’s the Josh Reynolds that we saw go up and make catches against good players in college football.’

“So he can ‘wow’ you with some of those catches, so very excited about him no matter who the first three receivers are.”

McVay had similarly great things to say about Reynolds on Wednesday, too.

“You look at when Robert Woods got hurt, it allowed Josh to step up and I thought he made some key conversions against New Orleans in a big win that we needed to have,” McVay said. “He’s a guy that has all the traits and characteristics. He’s wired to separate, great catch radius. We’re excited about Josh moving forward into next year.”

usatsi_104736051.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Talk is cheap, but it’s obvious the Rams like what they have in Reynolds, whom they spent a fourth-round pick on last year. His 11 catches for 104 yards and one touchdown won’t excite anyone, but he was merely a role player on a team that strictly stuck to three-wide receiver sets.

It’s Reynolds’ skill set and physical traits that make him so intriguing. At 6-foot-3, 194 pounds, Reynolds isn’t the stockiest or strongest receiver out there. In fact, one of the knocks on him coming out of Texas A&M was that his frame looked wiry and thin. He didn’t exactly seek contact in college, but his height allows him to succeed in other ways.

As a red zone target, he boasts the ideal size and length. We didn’t get to see that in Year 1, but if Watkins were to leave, Reynolds would immediately become the team’s best red zone threat.

As for his speed, he may not have ran well at the combine (4.52 40-yard dash), but he plays faster than that time indicates. As a long-strider, he’s deceptively fast, though he doesn’t have great short-area quickness.

But that’s not his strength, which is fine. He’s someone who can win downfield on deep passes, winning 50-50 balls by elevating over defenders.

usatsi_10451770.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The best part about potentially promoting Reynolds to the starting lineup if Watkins were to leave is his tiny cap hit. He’ll count just $717,006 against the cap in 2018, which is infinitely lower than Watkins’ possible $16 million charge under the franchise tag.

That would free up the Rams to sign outside free agents and ensure that someone like Lamarcus Joyner gets paid.

No one’s suggesting Reynolds is better or even equal to Watkins, but the Rams are obviously high on him and the cap savings would be significant.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ree-agency-josh-reynolds-receiver-salary-cap/

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Teams have until March 6 to designate one player for either the franchise or transition tag, so the Rams still have a bit of time to work out if they would like to use that option.
I know this question has been asked, but I haven't heard a answer, Can the Rams use a Franchise Tag and a Transition Tag Both, or is it a either or thing!!!?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If they are going to use it, I can see Watkins getting it. Joyner should be signed, not sure why there is talk about a tag with him. Doesnt make any sense to me unless I am missing something.

Also you either want Watkins or you dont. Sign him or let him walk. I can see the tag if you want to evaluate him for another year to see if he fits before giving him a long term deal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Josh is a long shot to be anywhere near as good as Sammy .

Just saying the Rams have options other than Watkins, not measuring the two, although it might not be that difficult for Reynolds to match Watkins' 2018 yardage. I want Watkins back, but not at elite top 10 pay or franchise costs, there are other areas the Rams can improve substantially without being gouged. jmo.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know this question has been asked, but I haven't heard a answer, Can the Rams use a Franchise Tag and a Transition Tag Both, or is it a either or thing!!!?
i dont know Dave, heard its one or the other
train

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Just saying the Rams have options other than Watkins, not measuring the two, although it might not be that difficult for Reynolds to match Watkins' 2018 yardage. I want Watkins back, but not at elite top 10 pay or franchise costs, there are other areas the Rams can improve substantially without being gouged. jmo.
Based on current production as well as factoring in history of injuries Sammy Watkins is nowhere top 5 WR money so to me there is your answer as to tagging him. Don't overpay. I hate when posters say well he have a whole year in the Offense now last year was shortened, that is load of bull. He is a professional and supposedly an elite professional at his position he should be able to come right in and dominate and yet didn't. Yet Kupp a 3rd round rookie did so to me offer him 5-6 m for 1 year with bonuses if he hits certain markers.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If they are going to use it, I can see Watkins getting it. Joyner should be signed, not sure why there is talk about a tag with him. Doesnt make any sense to me unless I am missing something.

Also you either want Watkins or you dont. Sign him or let him walk. I can see the tag if you want to evaluate him for another year to see if he fits before giving him a long term deal.

Tag for a Safety is $11.1M iirc. Tag for a WR is just over $16M.

So, if push comes to shove, I tag Joyner unless I know for sure what I have in Reynolds

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

So, if push comes to shove, I tag Joyner unless I know for sure what I have in Reynolds

Thanks. That is what I figured, but why not lock Joyner up instead of tagging him. Cap hit would be less.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Rams may already have a potential Sammy Watkins replacement on the roster

usatsi_10465992.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | March 1, 2018 2:45 pm ET

Sammy Watkins was hardly impressive in his first season with the Los Angeles Rams. In 15 games, he caught 39 passes for 590 yards and eight touchdowns, struggling to find his footing in Sean McVay’s “spread it around” offense.

After being acquired for a second-round pick and E.J. Gaines, Watkins was expected to be Jared Goff’s go-to guy. Obviously, that never came to fruition and now the 24-year-old receiver is set to become a free agent in March.

Sean McVay said on Wednesday that bringing Watkins back is “definitely something we want to do,” but he led that comment with a caveat: “If we can make that work.”

usatsi_10214704.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Does that signal Watkins’ departure is on the horizon? Hardly. McVay made it clear that “it’s so important to get him back,” but it’s going to take some salary cap work to make it happen. Watkins is the top free-agent wide receiver in 2018 and the franchise tag will cost the Rams more than $16 million.

Like this article?
Sign up for the Rams Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

If the Rams were to let Watkins walk, which is definitely a possibility, they’d have to replace him somehow. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp are firmly entrenched as the top receivers right now, but so much of the Rams’ offense is built upon 11 personnel: one running back, one tight end and three receivers on the field.

No team ran more plays out of that grouping than the Rams in 2017, so having three strong receivers is crucial to their success. That’s what makes losing Watkins so difficult to fathom.

What if the Rams already had a potential replacement for him on the roster, though? Numbers would suggest they don’t, but Josh Reynolds is a wildly intriguing prospect after having such a quiet rookie season.

If you listen to what Les Snead and McVay are saying about Reynolds, too, you’ll begin to realize he’s a big part of their future.

“We were very impressed with Josh. Fortunately, we had a deep receiving crew that for the most part was healthy,” Snead said at the combine on Thursday. “But throughout the year at Texas A&M, there was a few things he did at practice, and even in games, where you’re like, ‘Wow, OK. That’s the Josh Reynolds that we saw go up and make catches against good players in college football.’

“So he can ‘wow’ you with some of those catches, so very excited about him no matter who the first three receivers are.”

McVay had similarly great things to say about Reynolds on Wednesday, too.

“You look at when Robert Woods got hurt, it allowed Josh to step up and I thought he made some key conversions against New Orleans in a big win that we needed to have,” McVay said. “He’s a guy that has all the traits and characteristics. He’s wired to separate, great catch radius. We’re excited about Josh moving forward into next year.”

usatsi_104736051.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Talk is cheap, but it’s obvious the Rams like what they have in Reynolds, whom they spent a fourth-round pick on last year. His 11 catches for 104 yards and one touchdown won’t excite anyone, but he was merely a role player on a team that strictly stuck to three-wide receiver sets.

It’s Reynolds’ skill set and physical traits that make him so intriguing. At 6-foot-3, 194 pounds, Reynolds isn’t the stockiest or strongest receiver out there. In fact, one of the knocks on him coming out of Texas A&M was that his frame looked wiry and thin. He didn’t exactly seek contact in college, but his height allows him to succeed in other ways.

As a red zone target, he boasts the ideal size and length. We didn’t get to see that in Year 1, but if Watkins were to leave, Reynolds would immediately become the team’s best red zone threat.

As for his speed, he may not have ran well at the combine (4.52 40-yard dash), but he plays faster than that time indicates. As a long-strider, he’s deceptively fast, though he doesn’t have great short-area quickness.

But that’s not his strength, which is fine. He’s someone who can win downfield on deep passes, winning 50-50 balls by elevating over defenders.

usatsi_10451770.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The best part about potentially promoting Reynolds to the starting lineup if Watkins were to leave is his tiny cap hit. He’ll count just $717,006 against the cap in 2018, which is infinitely lower than Watkins’ possible $16 million charge under the franchise tag.

That would free up the Rams to sign outside free agents and ensure that someone like Lamarcus Joyner gets paid.

No one’s suggesting Reynolds is better or even equal to Watkins, but the Rams are obviously high on him and the cap savings would be significant.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ree-agency-josh-reynolds-receiver-salary-cap/

Let’s call this contract “leverage”. Pumping up good prospect in order to get Sammy at a better price. Joyner is a better player and doesn’t get hurt on the regular.
Hey Sammy take 10m/per or walk JMO

lockdnram21

Legend
Based on current production as well as factoring in history of injuries Sammy Watkins is nowhere top 5 WR money so to me there is your answer as to tagging him. Don't overpay. I hate when posters say well he have a whole year in the Offense now last year was shortened, that is load of bull. He is a professional and supposedly an elite professional at his position he should be able to come right in and dominate and yet didn't. Yet Kupp a 3rd round rookie did so to me offer him 5-6 m for 1 year with bonuses if he hits certain markers.
Kupp dominated because of the attention Sammy and woods got... Not to mention Gurley to....Sammy was also open a lot more then he got the ball

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
[QUOTE="nighttrain, post: 1039661, member:
“I think the goal is to have really good players — as many as possible,” Snead said, “especially in the defensive backfield."[/QUOTE]

Is that last quote a "tell"? Seems like maybe a CB in round one is still very possible if Johnson is not back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I say that would be dumb !! IMO

Why pay that ??

As Les Snead said about SammyWatkins. It would be hard to loss him for a 2nd rd pick.

Why not use the Trans tag on Sammy ? You can match an offer at a market deal , if not you get a 3rd comp pick.