Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Read an article about Mac, and two passages stood out:

“MacGinnis is the University of Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer. While playing for UK, MacGinnis kicked multiple game-winners including an upset over Heisman winner Lamar Jackson’s #11 ranked Louisville, as well as a 51 yarder right down the middle against Mississippi State.... Beyond college, his XFL career proved him as the most accurate kicker in the league, converting on all 10 of his field goals attempts with the Renegades....In his kicking debut for the AFL’s Memphis Express, he went 4/4 and kicked the game-winner––giving the Express a victory over the San Diego Fleet.”

When given the opportunity, MacGinnis has been successful.

About his mental prep:
“ In a 2018 interview, MacGinnis says of beating Mississippi State, “In my head, the only thing I was thinking about was, ‘I’m going to make this kick.’ Nothing else crossed my mind. No fear, no doubt. No fear or anxiety. I put so much into it with the training and the preparation, and that’s where you get your confidence. You know you can do it from your training and preparation.”

Who knows if Mac will be the guy, but it won’t be hard to be better than the Hobbit, Samwise

Last edited:

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Read an article about Mac, and two passages stood out:

“MacGinnis is the University of Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer. While playing for UK, MacGinnis kicked multiple game-winners including an upset over Heisman winner Lamar Jackson’s #11 ranked Louisville, as well as a 51 yarder right down the middle against Mississippi State.... Beyond college, his XFL career proved him as the most accurate kicker in the league, converting on all 10 of his field goals attempts with the Renegades....In his kicking debut for the AFL’s Memphis Express, he went 4/4 and kicked the game-winner––giving the Express a victory over the San Diego Fleet.”

When given the opportunity, MacGinnis has been successful.

About his mental prep:
“ In a 2018 interview, MacGinnis says of beating Mississippi State, “In my head, the only thing I was thinking about was, ‘I’m going to make this kick.’ Nothing else crossed my mind. No fear, no doubt. No fear or anxiety. I put so much into it with the training and the preparation, and that’s where you get your confidence. You know you can do it from your training and preparation.”

Who knows if Mac will be the guy, but it won’t be hard to be better than the Hobbit, Samwise
I just want someone to prove to be reliable enough to be around a while. Revolving kicker is hard on my ulcers

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If Gay is the pick, I think it will be because of superior leg strength for long FG’s and for kickoffs.

If Mac is the pick, I think it will be for accuracy and mental toughness.

Not sure what the deadline is for making roster moves today, but I definitely could see the Rams playing head games on this.

If it’s Gay, I’ll be rooting for him 100%

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Gay is the pick, I think it will be because of superior leg strength for long FG’s and for kickoffs.
I think Gay is the pick because he has to be on the 53 man roster, while Macginnis doesnt. I'd think that if Mac gave them what they were looking for, they wouldnt have claimed Gay in the first place. They know we he has to offer, and basically have bypassed him 3 times now

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
I think Gay is the pick because he has to be on the 53 man roster, while Macginnis doesnt. I'd think that if Mac gave them what they were looking for, they wouldnt have claimed Gay in the first place. They know we he has to offer, and basically have bypassed him 3 times now
Exactly what I thought. Be pretty shitty of them to pick him up then cut him for a guy they already have on the practice squad.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was looking up the word “Gay” (don’t ask why, lol)... But...

THIS CAUGHT MY EYE.... What? Huh? Where in the hell does this data come from? 1800’s... and mentions? :D

And.... what’s with all that variation in 1808? :zany:

DA4C5020-8566-44D6-A004-887D93514FDB.jpeg

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Gay truly won the job...versus it being close and he’s already on the 53 man (& nfl experience) so he gets first shot with a short leash