Rams GM: Re-signing CB Johnson a 'big decision'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams GM: Re-signing CB Johnson a 'big decision'

By Kevin Patra

Trumaine Johnson played 2016 under the franchise tag. Now the Los Angeles Rams are stuck with another quandary in the secondary: How much do you pay the No. 1 corner in a mediocre secondary?

In a Q&A with Gary Klein of the L.A. Times, Rams GM Les Snead noted that the decision on Johnson could shape the offseason focus.

"That will be a big decision," Snead said. "Wade (Phillips), like a lot of [defensive coordinators], likes good players on the outside. Trumaine fits that category. ... Trumaine is a larger guy with good ball skills and all things like that. Is it a square in a square, a triangle in a triangle or more a rectangle in a square? ... That's probably one of the top priorities when Wade walks in the door because, obviously, the magnitude of what his contract will look like and the magnitude of what another franchise tag looks like and everything in between."

Much will be made about the Phillips traditionally running a 3-4 while the Rams were built for a 4-3. Linebackers are a need for L.A., but the back end of the defense will be just as vital for Snead.

2016 there was little depth in the Rams' secondary behind Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner, with the likes of E.J. Gaines and Troy Hill getting picked on mercilessly by opposing quarterbacks.

The 6-foot-2 Johnson is ideally suited for Phillips' defense as a player that can be put on an island on the outside and matchup one-on-one with opposing No. 1 receivers.

Johnson owns the leverage -- it would cost the Rams $16.8 million to franchise the corner again in 2017 -- and could set the market for corners.

Los Angeles has about $40 million in cap space entering next season, per OverTheCap.com. Making sure Phillips has one stud corner for his system should be a priority for Snead.

Last offseason the Rams chose to tag Johnson over Janoris Jenkins. Now Snead is staring at the possibility of seeing another top-tier corner walk out of the building.

[www.nfl.com]

Todd59

Rookie
I got a feeling the rams are going to have to overpay a little bit for Johnson. He may want to go to a winner, or heck, he may even follow Williams to Cleveland. Lord knows they have cap space on top of cap space to overpay for anyone they want. The Rams really left themselves hamstrung not working out a deal last season and franchising Jenkins or McLeod. Is he a #1 corner? Probably not, but he's a very good #2. But you're probably going to have to pay him like a #1 to keep him around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The 6-foot-2 Johnson is ideally suited for Phillips' defense as a player that can be put on an island on the outside and matchup one-on-one with opposing No. 1 receivers.

Johnson owns the leverage -- it would cost the Rams $16.8 million to franchise the corner again in 2017 -- and could set the market for corners.
If we need a stud corner...this aint the one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Draft a cb in the 2nd.... Spend that money on ol and wr
I would rather see the Rams go for a Pass rushing LDE or a Good OLB with our 1st defensive pick. The front 7 can make up for a loot of problems in the secondary! JHMO!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have severe needs to fill in FA in order to compete next year. They have to get at least one OL in here, a vet presence who can hold down a position and settle this bunch down. They have to get a WR in here, again at least one. It's not realistic to think they can lure a top wideout, a top OG, and also a top corner, at least without overpaying to ridiculous degree on one or two of them. Also you have to consider that some of the top names poised to test FA aren't gonna get there due to combination of last minute offers and tags.

This is why I think they bring Trumaine back. And tbh I feel he's better served, a better fit, in Wade's defense than he was in Williams' defense. Wade will put him on the LOS where his length and size can be used. And even if they get him back CB is still a need due to uncertainty around Gaines. So IMO it's not something they can afford to mess with, and not something Wade will want to risk.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's odd, the general belief (by us fans) was that the Rams tagged Tru because would be easier to sign long term. It seems that any of Tru's contract negotiations have been kept quiet because I doubt that the Rams didn't try to sign him before tagging him, and here they are a year later pretty much in the same spot.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I think we have the money to both resign Tru and grab some guys to help build the O-Line. I'd rather just keep Trumaine and use those early picks on weapons for Goff and the passing game.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Our mistakes in the past has proven we didn't pay to play. We risk letting Tru go and he ends up being star studded under a competant coaching staff. We now have that so this is a tough choice. Do we let him walk and get a newbie or pay him? Choices choices choices....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If Johnson walks, who is the next man up at outside CB? Gaines? Joyner? Michael Jordan? A rookie? A free agent who will either cost as much as Johnson or be a lesser player?

I think it would be extremely foolish of the Rams to let Johnson walk. Even if they have to tag him again, do what it takes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Before I start off Big in UFA'cy , I mean really BIG on going heavy on defense? I going to make the offense my No# 1 priority around Goff being successful first. Yes I know having a DB like Trumaine will indirectly help Goff :blah:...if it were up to me I am in the hunt :wabbit:looking for DIRECT help on the offensive side. Getting Goff surrounded by effective Offensive players is objective #1. A DB like Trumaine Johnson does meet this goal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/trumaine-johnson-9875/market-value/

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Before I start off Big in UFA'cy , I mean really BIG on going heavy on defense? I going to make the offense my No# 1 priority around Goff being successful first. Yes I know having a DB like Trumaine will indirectly help Goff :blah:...if it were up to me I am in the hunt :wabbit:looking for DIRECT help on the offensive side. Getting Goff surrounded by effective Offensive players is objective #1. A DB like Trumaine Johnson does meet this goal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/trumaine-johnson-9875/market-value/

Totally get that, but seems like we are torn between a choice. People will get mad that we didn't extend him and he ended up being the stellar player elsewhere or people will be mad that we extended him and didn't invest enough on an OL. Unless we got a replacement on our current squad we might be able to mold out to be another Tru we might fair out.

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like we have to keep Tru. We're weak at CB anyways and losing him would not be good.

Free agency has some decent CB's but doesn't really have too many good starting CB's worth paying a bunch of money for. We would have to draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to come in and start..

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Letting Tru walk does not help this team win more games.

Having said that, i do have concerns about his durability.