Rams extend Cooks through 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Based on his performance thus far, this is well deserved & stuff.

comes to 14.6 mil per year, OK with it and
Goff to Cooks TD will ring in the NFL
train

Pretty much the current market for someone like him, and in three years when he has three years left this will be a bargain.

What will be the reaction if Cooks puts up #s somewhere BETWEEN his yearly averages and Watkins' #s from last season?

You can't look strictly at his personal production, you have to factor in other things he adds.

He can replace Austin on jet sweeps and nobody else on the roster can do that nearly as well. This lets Gurley pick up big gainers one to three times per game. Sometimes more than that.

He adds a weapon the defense has to defend deep. So now there is a player to replace Watkins for that "take the top off the defense" kind of stuff.

In many situations he is going to draw 2 DB's or a DB and S. That means Woods, Kupp, Gurley and a TE will be getting open plenty. Very favorable for the Rams passing attack.

So he replaces TWO players in essence, and will help the other players performance.

It's not just about how many yards and TD's he gets individually. This offense that McVay runs is very symbiotic. Weapons like Cooks are just what it needs. Each skill player has a different skillset and when it's all combined it's a new harsh reality for defenses.

Psycho_X

Legend
giphy.gif

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have one of the best groups of wide receivers in the game, and we have them all signed for another 4 years!!

Ram65

Legend
So basically, the Rams signed Cooks for Watkins $$ (starting NEXT year) sight unseen. What will be the reaction if Cooks puts up #s somewhere BETWEEN his yearly averages and Watkins' #s from last season?

I see this as a realistic scenario when you consider Cooks will be splitting targets with Kupp, Woods, and our TE duo. There's also a guy named Gurley who had the second most receptions last year and will be getting a lot of carries.

At the very least, the Rams have to make the playoffs, and Cooks' have to be better than Watkins' were, not to mention Donald has got to get a new deal.

Interesting take. Cooks should/could take catches away from Gurley. He also doesn't need as many catches as he has had high YPC average the last two years 16.6 last year and 15 in 2016. Rams could be ramping up the passing attack this year. Should be fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...j69i57j0l4.12942j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We have one of the best groups of wide receivers in the game, and we have them all signed for another 4 years!!

This!

And Goff will have great timing and anticipation with Cooks sometime mid season and will be able to spread it all over the field. There is no safe place for defenders, no "easy to cover" guys that can be handled easily by a nickel or dime back.

On 4 wide sets defenders are going to be stressed because 5 weapons will be coming at them. Can you imagine being a safety and trying to figure out where to go to help?

This offense is going to be fun! Last year in 15 games (SF doesn't count) they scored over 30 nine times, 35 or more 6 times, 40 or more 4 times. This season I expect to see a little more there.........wow.

nighttrain

Legend
This!

And Goff will have great timing and anticipation with Cooks sometime mid season and will be able to spread it all over the field.
Goff and Cooks are already working out together, I will be very disappointed if takes til mid season for the two of them to gel
train

mikedlo23

UDFA
Name
mike
the way i see it....its a win win.....we get cooks for the money we could have spend on watkins.....i like cooks better and more importantly ......mcvay likes cooks better......mcvay has now trade to get him for 3 straight years......once in washington.....and last year and he finally got him this year...i would have to think if mcvay wanted him that badly then he deff has a big big plan for him.....he fits our system a lot better then watkins...has a better work ethic then watkins.....im pumped.......now i think we need to

sign donald before camp
sign saffold...big rob and jamon brown all during the season...
let joyner walk sadly (i love him)
sign peters and gurley next year....

nighttrain

Legend
the way i see it....its a win win.....we get cooks for the money we could have spend on watkins.........now i think we need to

sign donald before camp
sign saffold...big rob and jamon brown all during the season...
let joyner walk sadly (i love him)
sign peters and gurley next year....

would love to see this play out, lets all hope
train

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Awesome news! And nicely done KEVIN DEMOFF!!!!

Glad were able to lock someone up long term. Goff now has Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds and Everett together for at least 3 years now.

This was a big one. Cemented that trade, and ensures our young QB has the pieces he needs. What a damn relief! :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Interesting that they would sign him before he played one down for the Rams but did not do the same for Sammy Watkins.

They may not have been feeling it as strongly for Sammy.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Joyner gone, Cooks in
train
Yes I think Joyner is gone too, but for now, as a Ram he deserves our respect. Who knows, if Suh doesn't work out the way we hope it does, maybe Joyner returns, however unlikely. But Cooks for Joyner? I'd easily make that trade.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pretty much the current market for someone like him, and in three years when he has three years left this will be a bargain.

You can't look strictly at his personal production, you have to factor in other things he adds.

He can replace Austin on jet sweeps and nobody else on the roster can do that nearly as well. This lets Gurley pick up big gainers one to three times per game. Sometimes more than that.

He adds a weapon the defense has to defend deep. So now there is a player to replace Watkins for that "take the top off the defense" kind of stuff.

In many situations he is going to draw 2 DB's or a DB and S. That means Woods, Kupp, Gurley and a TE will be getting open plenty. Very favorable for the Rams passing attack.

So he replaces TWO players in essence, and will help the other players performance.

It's not just about how many yards and TD's he gets individually. This offense that McVay runs is very symbiotic. Weapons like Cooks are just what it needs. Each skill player has a different skillset and when it's all combined it's a new harsh reality for defenses.
Perfectly stated. Thank u sir. ..

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I expect Cooks to be the classic deep threat. He may have games where his stat lines are unimpressive because safeties are giving him due respect. On those games, Kupp, Woods and the others should torch underneath and Gurley should run wild. He seems like he will be a really really good fit here.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting that they would sign him before he played one down for the Rams but did not do the same for Sammy Watkins.

They may not have been feeling it as strongly for Sammy.
It's been reported that McVay has had a man-crush on Cooks since he entered the draft, and all Cooks has done has been gaining 1000 + yards every year since he came into the NFL (unlike Watkins)