Rams Depth Chart Question!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams haven't posted their Depth Chart at their Official site yet. But according to OurLad's Scouting service, Our 90 man Roster looks like this. The Player position totals are:

OFFENSE:

* WR's = 12 Players.
* O-Line = 14 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 6 Players.
* RB's = 8 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 15 Players.
* D-Line = 11 Players.
* CB's = 10 Players.
* Safeties = 7 Players.
* Nickel-Back = 1 Player.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

Now. to my question. Looking at these totals it would appear easy to make the Cuts to 54 Players.
I tried and can't get it lower than 57 Players.
So, just using these Player totals where would you Cut to bring the Roster down to 54 Players!!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe they will drop a WR or two to sign a QB or maybe two QB's for training camp. IMHO, Matt Davis from SMU was in most of the highlights so maybe they will sign him. IMHO Brandon Shippen will be shipped out and I'm sure they will make several other moves before they go to camp. Might need a camp leg and like last year, maybe they sign a guy who can kick and punt to take away the strain on Zuerlein & Hekker.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
OFFENSE:

* WR's = 6 Players.
* O-Line = 10 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 4 Players.
* RB's = 3 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 9 Players.
* D-Line = 7 Players.
* CB's = 5 Players.
* Safeties = 4 Players.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

Try this!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Rams haven't posted their Depth Chart at their Official site yet. But according to OurLad's Scouting service, Our 90 man Roster looks like this. The Player position totals are:

OFFENSE:

* WR's = 12 Players.
* O-Line = 14 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 6 Players.
* RB's = 8 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 15 Players.
* D-Line = 11 Players.
* CB's = 10 Players.
* Safeties = 7 Players.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

Now. to my question. Looking at these totals it would appear easy to make the Cuts to 54 Players.
I tried and can't get it lower than 57 Players.
So, just using these Player totals where would you Cut to bring the Roster down to 54 Players!!?

Not sure I understand the question, Dave.

BTW, isn't it still 53 players?

One must determine how many players in each position group are absolutely necessary. Not forgetting that some ST players must be among the survivors.

Then the tough cuts just have to be made. Good football players are gonna be among our final cuts, no question. But there's no other choice.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OFFENSE:

* WR's = 6 Players.
* O-Line = 10 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 4 Players.
* RB's = 3 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 9 Players.
* D-Line = 7 Players.
* CB's = 5 Players.
* Safeties = 4 Players.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

Try this!
This ^^ works for me Coach!! just to show you where I had it. I had ..

OFFENSE:

* WR's = 6 Players.
* O-Line = 10 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 4 Players.
* RB's = 4 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 10 Players.
* D-Line = 7 Players.
* CB's = 4 Players.
* Safeties = 4 Players.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

So we're on a similar track!!(y);):D I just couldn't come up with the final few!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure I understand the question, Dave.

BTW, isn't it still 53 players?

One must determine how many players in each position group are absolutely necessary. Not forgetting that some ST players must be among the survivors.

Then the tough cuts just have to be made. Good football players are gonna be among our final cuts, no question. But there's no other choice.
No it's 54 Players. But your absolutely right, when you say Good Football players will be Cut. IF you have a decent Roster it's that way every year. A sad fact of life. But it's better than IF you had a crappy Roster to start with!!(y):D

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some have put together a final 53 with 7 WR's and I just can't see a team carrying that many WR's, although it has happened. Four Tight Ends plus a full back because McVay was a TE Coach so I'm thinking he obviously keeps the likes Everett, Higbee and even Hemingway, so that leaves Corey Harkey and then FB Sam Rogers unless former Utah QB Travis Wilson (now a TE) really impresses.

Special Teams play into the equitation as well, especially with WR Bradley Marquez, who is a standout on special teams and one would surmise that John Fassel still has some juice as to the final roster, but at this point the Rams were a 4-12 team and if they release the bubble players off of last year's roster, I'm not going to really shed a tear.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
it's 53 not 54.
and hemingway is a lock to make the roster, the way mcvay talks about him.

question is, can rogers run? and is not only limited to be a weapon in the pass game and pass protector?
that could mean that brown could be cut and the rams could save a spot and keep only three rbs plus the fb.

2 qb
9 ol
4 rb
1 fb
4 te
6 wr

1 k
1 p
1 ls

6 dl
8 lb
10 db

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets go crazy with this here.

C: Sullivan, Eldrenkamp
G: Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Wichman
T: Whitworth, Robinson, Donnal, Murphy
TE: Higbee, Engram, Hemingway
RB: Gurley, Dunbar, Brown, Rodgers (FB)
WR: Wood, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper, Thomas
QB: Goff, Mannion

DT: Brockers, Prucel, Smart
DE: Donald, Easley, Longacre, Price
OLB: Quinn, Barwin, Ebukam, Littleton
ILB: Tree, Barron, Davis, Forrest
CB: Johnson, Gaines, Webster, Robey-Coleman, Penton, Christian
S: Alexander, Joyner, Johnson, Wright

PS:
QB: Bryan Scott
RB: Justin Davis
WR: Ryan Shakier
OL: Kwayde Miller, Chris Watt
LB: Orimolade
DB: Hatfield

Way too early and likely way wrong but it was fun looking at it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
it's 53 not 54.
and hemingway is a lock to make the roster, the way mcvay talks about him.

question is, can rogers run? and is not only limited to be a weapon in the pass game and pass protector?
that could mean that brown could be cut and the rams could save a spot and keep only three rbs plus the fb.

2 qb
9 ol
4 rb
1 fb
4 te
6 wr

1 k
1 p
1 ls

6 dl
8 lb
10 db

I like your allocation, KOWALSKI.

I might increase OL from 9 to 10 and decrease RB from 4 to 3. Kinda nitpicky, but still...

Then again, they might like a RB on ST more than a 10th OL that won't even be active on game day.

Good projection, man.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Side Notes I would consider:

* [LB'er vs DL'ers] 2 of the Rams now LB'ers who were previous all pro DL'ers & played the DL for most of their college & NFL years, thus you would expect these LB'ers to have some effect on determinations in the overall final roster DL cadre number. Both can drop into a 3 pt stance in an instance & be highly effective. Point is that fact might diminish the overall need in 34 DE's roster spot designations.

* [Safety vs corners] might also be hazy & hard to determine due to the likes of corner like Joyner now considered safety & the newly arrival of a outstanding coverage rookie safety named John Johnson. Throw in LB Mark Barron who can pinch hit @ any safety post in an instance will diminishes need for a heavy reserve safety contingent..

* Having 2 players like Tavon Austin & Sam Rogers on the 53 roster will effect the RB or TE #No's.

A Ram unit that will NOT be hazy would be the OL. McVay's #1 goal of protection of the Rams franchise in the conversation above all else . Keeping the OL filled & up to power & maintenance of full strength @ all times to insure the protection of Goff. They will not go short here in the OL contingent.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

PS:

Did we make a trade with the Giants for Engram? Lol

KOWALSKI

Rookie
price is a olb/ilb.

my 53 without one da of training camp (its way to early for something like that)

qb:
goff, mannion

rb:
gurley, dunbar, tillery (i liked his highilght tape the most tbh, but what does that mean...),davis
(but again, i can see any compination of backs behind gurley and dunbar)

fb:
rogers

ol:
sullivan, eldrenkamp, havenstein, whitworth, saffold, robinson, brown, donnel, rhaney

te:
everett, higbee, hemingway, harkey

wr:
austin, woods, kupp, reynolds, thomas, spruce

k:
zuerlein

p:
hekker

ls:
mcquaide

dl:
donald, brockers, easley, purcell, smart, walker

lb:
quinn, barwin, ogletree, barron, ebukam, price, littleton, t.smith

cb:
johnson, webster, gaines, jordan, penton, (hill)

db:
robey-coleman

s: joyner, alexander, johnson, (davis)

Limey

Rookie

PS:

I would pick most of these. I might put Bryce Hagar in for Davis at ILB, and maybe DTP and/or Walker for Purcell and/or Longacre, possibly Jordan for Christian and maybe Cody Davis or Randolph for Wright - it all depends on who is healthy and how they play in pre-season.

Is Watt eligible for the PS? If so, and he's healthy, I guess someone else picks him up. They cut Orimolade already (sadly, as I liked what I saw of him)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
OFFENSE:

* WR's = 6 Players.
* O-Line = 10 Players.
* QB's = 2 Players.
* TE's = 4 Players.
* RB's = 3 Players.
* FB's = 1 Player.

DEFENSE:

* LB's = 9 Players.
* D-Line = 7 Players.
* CB's = 5 Players.
* Safeties = 4 Players.

Special Teams:
3 Players = P-PK-LS.

Try this!
I think there is a chance they go with 3 TE since Rodgers can be used as a pass protector and receiver in a pinch. I'd really like to see 6 CB's. Especially with Tru and Gaines injury history.
Another TE to the practice squad

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

PS:

Looks good, but where is Everret?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just on the current main 11 DL cadre alone, Wade has a boatload of pure three-techniques all whom lacks desired size & length, but his quickness & a nasty disruptive nature....it would be bad enough here with just a dinky small Aaron Donald 6-1 285 but Wade is showcasing his:heh: face way too early. Aaron having a close clone in Dom Easley 6-2 285 who I believe will burst in his 4th season upwards close to stardom here in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Wade then gets Snead to sign former BL coach Bill Johnson favorite reserve back during 3 seasons (2012 thru 2014) ex Lion UFA Tyrunn Walker 27 yr old 6-3 310 who had injury issues back to back seasons in Detroit. Walker is another 3 tech. Snead & Wade have some investments looking for the future have secured 2 other three-technique prospects in the 6th round Tanzel Smart 6-1 296 & ready to go is Louis Tricant-Pasat 6-1 292 who also fits the shooting of the gaps scheme. LTP will enter his 3rd Ram training Camp so he will have a leg up on the others. Five 3 tech'ers to start TC is a excellent start IMO.

The other starting left 34 DE post is not without some good young talent either. of course any of the identified five above could see action on the left side too but as it stands this early Wade has a special multipurpose DL'er who will enter his 4th Ram camp. Ethan Westbrooks! EW has lined up previously @ all 4 DL posts & played well in 3 seasons. EW is a Californian native playing in his home state. EW has always been somewhat undersized @ 6-4 275 pounds. EW was the best Rams pass rushing DE last season once Quinn went down to injury. ET has 35 NFL games under his belt. I just really like EW who has lined up inside @ both DT posts & played much bigger than his size. I seen him explode off the snap & explodes into blockers. Can rock a blocker on his heels. A Natural pass rusher who has hunted down QBs. Good spin move & effective inside move. Versatile who has logged time played nose tackle and 3-technique. Why so many leave him off the final roster I can not explain. Another 3rd season LDE prospect is 6-3 260 Matt Longacre & 2nd yr interior/exterior pass rusher 6-3 260 Morgan Fox. Fox pushed Longacre to the sidelines last season when the Rams D was having issues generating a pass rush from Sims & Hayes.

I was thinking that it might be possible for Wade to use Micheal Brockers as the starter @ LDE but with passage of time & free agency & the draft & the UDFA signings things seemed to dissolve that thought as it played out. For now the middle of this new Wade DL is sure to be the domain of Micheal Brockers. As the dust clears it also appears that Wade had a little luck tossed his way from the 9ers when they dumped their 34D for a 43 D. 4th season Pure NT Mike Purcell was out of a position & flew south to LA for a new home. Purcell is a 6-3 303 that fits what Wade normally runs in his defenses in the past @ NT. Purcell has 25 NFL games of experience & 8 starts. Sure looks like a good low cost bargain fit as solid reserve NT for MB IMO. Another prospective NT is 6-2 290 pound rookie Casey Sayles. CS blue collor UDFA should not be underestimated for he can play all 3 of these 34 DL posts generally good.