RAMS Defense ?? Please Answer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
Since we are so very inexperience in the secondary and not truth worthy of them, why in the HELL are we blitzing over 50% of the time?? WE ONLY HAVE 1 F...ING SACK THIS YEAR!!! I think its pointless for our defense to be blitzing all the time!!!!! Please Please Please someone answer this question!!!! I am very confused and very FRUSTRATED with our DEFENSE!!! Is it Gregg Williams at fault?? From the early goings so far it seems that Walton had somewhat better results :( I was excited when I heard Gregg Williams got hired, but after watching the game on MNF It has made me wonder if he is the right guy!!

RAM POWER!!!

Hinko D Mayo

RamzFanz

Damnit
Since we are so very inexperience in the secondary and not truth worthy of them, why in the HELL are we blitzing over 50% of the time?? WE ONLY HAVE 1 F...ING SACK THIS YEAR!!! I think its pointless for our defense to be blitzing all the time!!!!! Please Please Please someone answer this question!!!! I am very confused and very FRUSTRATED with our DEFENSE!!! Is it Gregg Williams at fault?? From the early goings so far it seems that Walton had somewhat better results :( I was excited when I heard Gregg Williams got hired, but after watching the game on MNF It has made me wonder if he is the right guy!!

RAM POWER!!!

Hinko D Mayo

I have no answer for you. Greg Williams fixed something that wasn't broken. At this point we can only hope it's a learning curve.

I have heard the Rams now have the fewest sacks by any NFL team ever over their first 5 games. Let that sink in.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
There's no problem with the secondary at this point in time. We are among the league leaders in passing yards given up.

The problem is stopping the run, along with Greg's wonderful play calling.

RamzFanz

Damnit
There's no problem with the secondary at this point in time. We are among the league leaders in passing yards given up.

I'm at a loss as to why JJ was all by himself on that pass play. I'm no defensive guru, so maybe someone can explain. Wouldn't playing prevent be the standard in that situation?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm at a loss as to why JJ was all by himself on that pass play. I'm no defensive guru, so maybe someone can explain. Wouldn't playing prevent be the standard in that situation?

Well, maybe prevent would have been the answer...but that's hindsight. Also, if we are in prevent, you might let them get enough yards to get a field goal. I'm starting to think with new offenses prevent might be a think of the past in a few years. If just gives up too much underneath.

As to why JJ was alone on that play....It looks like to me that they had McCleod coming up to take the RB who came out of the backfield on a circle route, and settled in front of the LBs. JL55, looked to be scrambling to cover the deep half on the same play, which is kind of mind boggling as to why you'd switch those two player's responsibilities.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I re-watched the game, and that play....And still, there is NO REASON the FS (McLeod) wasn't deep...It appears as ChrisW says, JL55 was scrambling to cover some deep middle area....Major brain fart on Williams & JJ...
Why are we blitzing is another monster...Seems as if Williams is a "I did it this way and had success so I'll continue to do it like this.." BS, makes no sense....It even appeared that he left Aaron Donald out there too long in some stretches, and should have given him a lil blow...Hayes too...Look at that play on JJ, Donald and Hayes were going half speed...only Quinn was going all out for the sack....You can't have 2 guys in the middle of your line allowing a QB to step up in the pocket and make that throw...
In some ways...It appears that they were trying to lose...And I know conspiracies and such are popular in Hollywood...But check out the lack of carry's by Mason...and he was running well...all those passes when it was 17-14...IDK.....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Actually the Rams D was very effective at stopping the run against the 9ers. We were burned more in the passing game, and it wasn't just quick throws either.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Before I can honestly weigh in on this I'd like to see the stats on our D's QB pressures, Hits, and Hurries! Does anyone have those stats!?!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Our corners are constantly put on islands. I can beat an NFL corner at least once a game if it's just him. Get some coverage sacks. I'm so tired of sending everybody just to see them get stonewalled and then watching the other teams receiver catch the ball being wide the fuck open.

RamWoodie

Legend
What do you want people to say OP...the Ram DLine simply is not performing. Now you think about this, the only thing that has really changed is the style of defense.

Work with that for a while. It's not lack of effort, because I see the players working hard to get to the QB...the ONLY thing I can conclude is they simply aren't suited to the defense they play right now. It's time to tweek some things.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams are among the leaders in passing yards given up because the other teams have found it very productive to run.

That is why the Rams were near the top in that stat.

Now, once they successfully stopped the run (MNF), the secondary got exposed and San Francisco had 343 yards in the air.

This is a difficult situation the defense is in, IMO:
If they blitz, the opponent gets rid of the ball quickly. Since so many defenders were involved in the blitz, it leaves the secondary exposed.
If they do not blitz, the QB has time to throw and the secondary may get exposed.

Either way, the secondary is under duress a lot and I'm not convinced they are very good... I mean, they are very, very inexperienced back there.

ram007

Starter
What i don't get is in a division with Boldin, Crabtree, Floyd and Fitzgerald how can you not have experience and talent in the secondary. Example, CB Aqib Talib was available.

I get concept of building from draft. But Jeff Fisher whiffed on adding specific pieces through Free Agency.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The Rams are among the leaders in passing yards given up because the other teams have found it very productive to run.

That is why the Rams were near the top in that stat.

Now, once they successfully stopped the run (MNF), the secondary got exposed and San Francisco had 343 yards in the air.

This is a difficult situation the defense is in, IMO:
If they blitz, the opponent gets rid of the ball quickly. Since so many defenders were involved in the blitz, it leaves the secondary exposed.
If they do not blitz, the QB has time to throw and the secondary may get exposed.

Either way, the secondary is under duress a lot and I'm not convinced they are very good... I mean, they are very, very inexperienced back there.

I think they need to back off of the blitzing and watch some film from last year as to how we were able to consistently get pressure with four guys. Others pointed out on this board how Quinn seems to only use a speed rush from the outside and isn't used on stunts this year, although I seem to remember him being very effective on stunts last year.

RAMpage

UDFA
Name
AJ
I just don't see how we were in the top of the league the past two seasons when it came to sacks. And now we're dead last through 5 games with only one sack, which is the worst in league history. Who takes the fault here?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they need to back off of the blitzing and watch some film from last year as to how we were able to consistently get pressure with four guys. Others pointed out on this board how Quinn seems to only use a speed rush from the outside and isn't used on stunts this year, although I seem to remember him being very effective on stunts last year.

What's ironic in that is how upset fans were last year because the defenders laid off the receivers.

Maybe Walton wasn't such an idiot after all. ;)

Tell you one thing: IF Williams can't figure this out, I'm going to be upset with Fisher.

He would have known how effective the cover defense was and, despite that, went after a guy he knew blitzes like crazy.

I'd have to think Fisher is football smarts enough to understand the possible implications of such a change.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What's ironic in that is how upset fans were last year because the defenders laid off the receivers.

Maybe Walton wasn't such an idiot after all. ;)

Tell you one thing: IF Williams can't figure this out, I'm going to be upset with Fisher.

He would have known how effective the cover defense was and, despite that, went after a guy he knew blitzes like crazy.

I'd have to think Fisher is football smarts enough to understand the possible implications of such a change.

Hold on, I didn't say we should lay off the receivers. The cushions that Walton provided last year were ridiculous and early on, negated our pass rush. Seems like we didn't use as many later in the year.

I like the emphasis on using more press coverage and that is one thing I wouldn't change. If we were laying off the receivers this year as we were last year, with the pass rush not getting there, our pass defense numbers so far would be historically brutal.

lockdnram21

Legend
He was in the wrong coverage. he want supposed to be in man coverage. you cant blame GW if JJ goes in a different coverage

ram007

Starter
just may be..just...
. this front seven is not as talented as we were made to believe?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
just may be..just...

Then how did largely the same front seven get so many sacks last year? The only significant change to the front 7 is that we added Aaron Donald, who BTW, has the only sack so far.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes. Gregg Williams learned this basic philosophy when he was coaching at Belton High school in the mid 80's. However, where the 2014 St Louis Rams are concerned...he ignores down and distance apparently.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yes. Gregg Williams learned this basic philosophy when he was coaching at Belton High school in the mid 80's. However, where the 2014 St Louis Rams are concerned...he ignores down and distance apparently.
janoris was in wrong coverage he was supposed to be in 3 deep zone

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
just may be..just...
Its the same as last year(minus CLong). Its not Aaron Donald's fault we can't get a sack.