Rams- Colts Post Game Articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Receiver Chris Givens playing like Rams' best playmaker
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...hris-givens-playing-like-rams-best-play-maker

ST. LOUIS -- Here are some highs and lows in terms of individual performances from the St. Louis Rams' 24-14 loss to the Indianapolis Colts:

HIGHS

WR Chris Givens: Some wondered whether Givens would make the roster entering his fourth season but he's been the team's most dynamic offensive threat in the preseason games. He added a 44-yard touchdown catch to the 80-yarder he had last week and tossed in another catch to finish with two grabs for 63 yards and the score. At this stage, his spot seems safe.

DT Aaron Donald: Not that his stock could get much higher but Donald was his usual disruptive self against the Colts, including a third-down run stuff that set up Givens' touchdown after the ensuing punt.

DT Louis Trinca-Pasat: With Nick Fairley sitting out, Trinca-Pasat flashed some ability to get penetration by blowing up a couple of run plays of his own. He had two tackles, including one for loss, on the evening and bolstered his case to stick on the roster.

LOWS

OL Jamon Brown: It's not that Brown performed poorly but in his first look at left guard (he'd spent all of camp on the right side) but that he suffered an ankle injury on Givens' touchdown. The Rams are already missing guard Rodger Saffold and can't afford to lose Brown. On the bright side, the injury didn't appear serious and Brown probably could have returned.

LB Alec Ogletree: Ogletree was all over the place Saturday night but also seemed a bit out of control on a few occasions. He missed some tackles and picked up a defensive holding penalty that nullified a Janoris Jenkins interception.

The starting offensive line: With or without Brown, the team's top five didn't get much push in the run game (2.3 yards per carry), picked up two facemask penalties for 30 yards and allowed a pair of sacks. As expected, still plenty of work to be done here.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams quarterback Nick Foles finds much-needed rhythm against Colts
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-foles-finds-much-needed-rhythm-against-colts

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles found himself running for his life repeatedly in his one half of play Saturday night. Despite the pressure coming from all angles, Foles found a way to have, by far, his best performance of the preseason as the Rams lost 24-14 against the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday night.

Foles scrambled his way to 10 completions on 11 tries for 128 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 145.5. All of that came in the face of constant heat from the Colts against a young and inexperienced offensive line that gave up two sacks and a handful of other pressures. It also happened without much help from a run game that mustered just 28 yards on 12 carries with Foles in the game.

"I think we're improving," Foles said. "We still have a long ways to go, but I was really proud of the guys. We were moving the ball. We had a couple of good drives. We have to stop getting penalties on ourselves, but I think we're stepping in the right direction. Like I said, we still have a lot of work to do. We need to put more points on the board and help the defense out. Baby steps right now, but proud of the guys for the effort they're having and now we get to go out in the second half and win this football game.”

RamBill

Legend
Colts rally to knock off Rams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_31b0dea6-03e6-5cbd-8374-86d987038e31.html

The Rams played better on both sides of the ball but dropped their third consecutive game of the preseason, losing 24-14 to the Indianapolis Colts Saturday night at the Edward Jones Dome.

A total of 37,460 tickets were sold for the contest.

The Rams (0-3) will close out the preseason schedule on Thursday, hosting the Kansas City Chiefs in a 7 p.m. game at the Dome.

It was the first preseason win for Indianapolis (1-2), which lost to eventual Super Bowl champion New England in the AFC title game a year ago.

The game's final points came on a 55-yard field goal from Colts' veteran Adam Vinatieri with 2:53 left in the game.

COLTS REGAIN LEAD EARLY IN FOURTH QUARTER

The Rams took a 14-13 lead early in the second half, taking advantage of a Colts' fumble. On the first play from scrimmage after halftime, Luck's handoff hit the ground and the Rams' rookie linebacker Bryce Hager recovered at the Colts' 17. Three plays later, Trey Watts scored from 3 yards out and Michael Palardy booted the conversion to put the Rams up 14-13.

On the play before the touchdown, Case Keenum hooked up with tight end Cory Harkey on a 8-yard pass play to set up the score.

The Colts finished the quarter on a high note as Jalil Brown picked off a Sean Mannion pass on the final play of the period and returned it 14 yards to the St. Louis 14.

Five plays later, Colts rookie Tyler Varga powered his way in for a 1-yard touchdown to put Indianapolis back on top. The two-point pass from Matt Hasselbeck to Griff Whalen made it 21-14 with 12:54 to play.

COLTS UP 13-7 AT THE HALF

The Rams were driving at the end of the first quarter, reaching the Colts' 21 before a facemask call on guard Demetrius Rhaney and a sack by Indy's Erik Walden (around rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein) killed the drive and the Rams were forced to punt.

Isaiah Pead downed the Johnny Hekker punt at the Colts' 5 and the defense took over from there, getting in-the-backfield tackles from starting DTs Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald on successive plays to force Indianapolis to punt from its 1.

After the punt, the Rams' first down play from the Colts' 44 was a Nick Foles bomb to Chris Givens on a deep crossing pattern for a touchdown TD. Greg Zuerlein's kick made it 10-7 with 10:18 to play in the first half.

On the play, Rams rookie guard Jamon Brown was injured. Looks to be a right foot or ankle issue. He was retaped, but replaced by veteran Garrett Reynolds on the next Rams' series.

Last week in Tennessee, Givens hauled in an 80-yarder from Case Keenum for the Rams' first TD of the preseason.

The Colts closed out the half with a 13-play, 83-yard drive that was capped by a 21-yard field goal from Adam Viniateri with seven seconds to play before halftime. Indy leads 13-7 at the half.

Some quick halftime numbers:

• Nick Foles completed 10 of 11 first-half passes for 128 yards and a touchdown.Isaiah Pead has rushed twice for 12 yards. Benny Cunningham (32 yards), Kenny Britt (21 yards) and Tre Mason (19 yards) have two catches apiece.

On defense, Alec Ogletree has four stops while James Laurinaitis, Janoris Jenkins and Ethan Westbrooks have three each.

• For the Colts, Andrew Luck has completed 12 of 21 passes for 161 yards and a touchdown. His main receiver, T.Y. Hilton, has three catches for 44 yards.

COLTS BUILD A QUICK 10-0 ADVANTAGE

The Colts grabbed the 3-0 lead on an Adam Vinatieri field goal from 42 yards out with 9:19 to play in the opening quarter. Indianapolis forced a punt after a questionable pass interference call on Tavon Austin slowed the rams' first drive.

The key play of the Colts' opening drive was a 23-yard pass from Andrew Luck to T.Y. Hilton..

Indianapolis followed up with an onside kick recovered by the Colts' Clayton Geathers at the Rams' 47. Four plays later, the Colts took advantage of a blown coverage as Luck found Andre Johnson running alone down the middle of the field for 32-yard touchdown and a 10-0 Colts' lead with 7:40 to play in the first quarter.

Second-year pro Demetrius Rhaney starts at right guard, with rookie Jamon Brown shifting over to the left side. Barrett Jones started at center.

RAMS, COLTS ARE UNDER WAY

The Rams make their home preseason debut Saturday, taking on the Indianapolis Colts in a 7 p.m. game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Both teams enter with 0-2 records. The Rams fell 18-3 at Oakland and 27-14 to the Titans in Nashville while the Colts, who reached the AFC title game a year ago, lost 36-10 at Philadelphia and 23-11 to visiting Chicago.

The Rams have won three of four preseason meetings with the Colts, but Indianapolis captured the most recent contest. In 2012, in the team's first game under the direction of coach Jeff Fisher, the Rams lost 38-3 in Indianapolis. It also marked the first NFL action for Colts' QB Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall draft pick that year.

In regular-season play, the Colts hold a 23-17-2 series edge and have won three of five since the Rams came to St. Louis in 1995. But the Rams won the teams' most recent game, in 2013, stunning the playoff-bound Colts 38-8 as then-rookie Tavon Austin finished the day with 314 total yards and three touchdowns. He scored on a 98-yard punt return and on passes from Kellen Clemens covering 57 and 81 yards.

SAFFOLD AMONG INACTIVES

The Rams are in all blue while Indy sports its all-white uniforms. The following will not play Saturday:

Rams • Running back Todd Gurley, cornerbacks Brandon McGee and E.J. Gaines, linebackers Daren Bates and Korey Toomer, tackle Andrew Donnal, guard Rodger Saffold, tight end Brad Smelley and defensive tackle Doug Worthington.

Saffold, the team's starting left guard, hurt his shoulder in the preseason opener at Oakland. Brandon Washington finished that game and started against the Titans last weekend, but second-year pro Demetrius Rhaney saw a lot of action at left guard in practice this week.

Colts • WR Phillip Dorsett, RB Vick Ballard, Gs Donald Thomas and Hugh Thornton (Illinois), TE Coby Fleener, LBs Robert Mathis and Nate Irving and CBs Deveron Carr and Greg Toler.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Asked around but didn't get much of an explanation for the busted coverage that led to the 32-yard TD pass to an uncovered Andre Johnson.

Was told it was a coverage that Rams have practiced and used throughout camp, so it shouldn't be something DBs should get confused

Jeff Fisher said Jamon Brown suffered a "lateral ankle" sprain. (As opposed to a high ankle sprain.) Brown wanted to go back in.

A lateral or "low" ankle sprain usually is a one_ to two-week injury.

Tre Mason told me he just tweaked the hamstring _ it's the same one that sidelined him earlier in the camp. Said it's nothing big.

I've been to every preseason game since the Rams moved to St. Louis. This was easily the smallest crowd I've seen. Maybe 25,000 in house.

Maybe.

Wouldn't call Foles a scrambler, he admits he's not fast enough. But was impressed by his escapability and ability to throw on run.

Stop if you've heard this before: Fisher said Rams have to get penalties under control: 10 for 83 yards vs. Colts; 29 for 229 this preseason

Tackling was better on defense.

Rams running game still far from where it needs to be. Continuity of the essence now for offensive line.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
DT Louis Trinca-Pasat: With Nick Fairley sitting out, Trinca-Pasat flashed some ability to get penetration by blowing up a couple of run plays of his own. He had two tackles, including one for loss, on the evening and bolstered his case to stick on the roster.
This ^ is good to hear! Trinca-Pasat, did the same thing last week against the Titan's!
I really hope we find a way of keeping him on the 53 man Roster! I like his game!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Asked around but didn't get much of an explanation for the busted coverage that led to the 32-yard TD pass to an uncovered Andre Johnson.

Was told it was a coverage that Rams have practiced and used throughout camp, so it shouldn't be something DBs should get confused........Rams running game still far from where it needs to be. Continuity of the essence now for offensive line.
I'll ask this again to a more captive audience....I didn't see the game yet, who blew the coverage?
Still a lil hot about this pregame move to LG....and this is kinda why....

RamBill

Legend
Rams look better on offense, but still fall to Colts
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article32777265.html

A St. Louis Rams first-team offense that had struggled throughout the preseason finally awakened a bit Saturday night against Indianapolis at the Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams still lost 24-14 to the Indianapolis Colts as they fell to 0-3 in the preseason, but there were a few positive developments before a sparse crowd announced at 37,460 tickets distributed.

Rams quarterback Nick Foles was sharp throughout the first half, completing 10-of-11 passes for 128 yards and a touchdown.

That came on a 44-yard TD pass to Chris Givens as Foles faked two handoffs before heaving the ball downfield and hitting his target perfectly.

“He’s one of those guys who’s just gifted with extreme speed,” Foles said of Givens. “He can go track the ball, so he did a great job getting out there and going to track down that ball and getting it.”

Foles and former Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, now with the Eagles, each completed their first 10 passes Saturday. Bradford was 10-for-10 for 121 yards and three TDs against Green Bay.

In his first two preseason games, Foles had completed only 6 of 12 passes for 87 yards and no touchdowns with one interception.

“I think we’re improving,” Foles said. “We still have a long ways to go, but I was really proud of the guys. We were moving the ball. We had a couple of good drives. We have to stop getting penalties on ourselves, but I think we’re stepping in the right direction.

“We need to put more points on the board and help the defense out. Baby steps right now, but proud of the guys for the effort they’re having.”

It took them nine preseason possessions, but the Rams’ first-team offense finally collected a touchdown on Foles’ deep pass to Givens. Before Saturday, the first-team offense had contributed only a field goal in its first six possessions.

Givens continues to enjoy a strong training camp that has him pushing for more time and targets at wide receiver. He has six receptions for 160 yards and two TDs in three games.

“I’m staying positive and most importantly, staying consistent ... just coming to work every day and blocking out all of the distractions,” Givens said. “I’m just really at a point where I’m just trying to show the world what I can do and I’m just excited to get the opportunity to do that.”

The Rams’ running attack stayed stuck in neutral with 29 carries for 72 yards, averaging 2.5 yards per carry.

An already inexperienced offensive line lost a starter in the first half when rookie guard Jamon Brown, switched from right guard to left guard Saturday, went down with an apparent ankle injury. Brown was injured on the same play that Givens caught the TD pass with 10 minutes, 18 seconds remaining in the second quarter.

Brown stayed down for a while and tried to get up once. He eventually was helped to his feet and walked off the field on his own.

“I’ll be fine,” Brown said. “I know somebody rolled up on me from behind, but other than that I’m not really sure what happened.”

Brown’s main concern was the result of the play.

“That was the first question, did we score a touchdown?” he said. “That’s all that mattered. Although I did sustain an injury. I was glad we got a touchdown out of it.”

With Brown moved to left guard, Demetrius Rhaney — who had been working at center — started the game at right guard next to rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein. Havenstein was victimized for a first-half sack.

Rams running back Tre Mason also left the game, apparently aggravating a previous hamstring injury. He had 12 yards on four carries.

“It’s not too bad,” Mason said. “It’s just tight. I got a little sore, so I took the protocol and got out of there.”

The Colts built a 13-7 halftime lead on two Adam Vinatieri field goals and a 32-yard TD pass from Andrew Luck to tight end Andre Johnson.

There were no Rams safeties in the vicinity of the wide-open Johnson on the play. He hauled in the pass over the middle, then ran through the tackle attempt of Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins on the way to the end zone.

Rams defensive end Robert Quinn talked about the importance of getting things together quickly with the defense.

“We had some good stops,” Quinn said. “We had a couple busted plays also, so we have to get those fixed. But there are some negatives and positives that we can take from it. We’re slowly getting to where we need to, but we still have a lot of work to do. We have to put our foot on the pedal and make sure we get ourselves right before the first game of the regular season.”

Another persistent problem for the Rams has been penalties and they were flagged for seven in the first half for 60 yards. A defensive holding penalty wiped out an interception by Jenkins as the Rams were penalized nine times overall for 73 yards.

A bright spot for the defense in the first half was the dominant play on the defensive line of reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald, as well as a pair of big hits by linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Luck, one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL, completed 12-of-21 passes for 161 yards and a touchdown.

Linebacker Bryce Hager recovered a fumble early in the third quarter that set up a 3-yard TD run by Trey Watts to give the Rams a 14-13 lead. That gave the Rams their first lead since their first series of the preseason against the Oakland Raiders, when they led 3-0.

Backup quarterbacks Case Keenum and Austin Davis each got a series early in the second half and were followed by rookie Sean Mannion. Mannion, 14-for-20 in his first two preseason games for 146 yards and a touchdown, tossed his first NFL interception late in the third quarter.

Rams to practice at Scott AFB

The Rams will make their annual trek to Scott Air Force Base for a walk-through practice at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. As part of the team’s appreciation for those in military service, 22 military personnel will be chosen to be on the field and participate in practice.

After practice, the Rams will sign autographs for those in attendance.

The Rams held a similar event at the Point Mugu Naval Base during their scrimmages with the Dallas Cowboys earlier this month in California.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll ask this again to a more captive audience....I didn't see the game yet, who blew the coverage?
Still a lil hot about this pregame move to LG....and this is kinda why....
Hard to tell. Could have been Ogletree, because JL followed into the flat.

RamBill

Legend
Five Takeaways: Colts at Rams (Preseason)
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Five-Takeaways-Colts-at-Rams-Preseason/87c2d38f-d923-47f7-8360-41df843e389b

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- The offense looked much better in the Rams’ third preseason contest against the Colts, and the defense did a fine job of stopping the run from Indianapolis’ first unit. Here are five takeaways from St. Louis’ first home exhibition matchup, which ended with Indianapolis on top 24-14.

Last week, the Rams kept things vanilla on offense but the unit, by quarterback Nick Foles’ own admission, did not execute as well as it would have liked. That, however, was not the case on Saturday.

1) Nick Foles can throw the deep ball

Foles was accurate and precise, connecting on 10 of his 11 passes in the first half for 128 yards and a touchdown -- good for a 145.5 QB rating. The signal-caller used some strong footwork on a few plays to get into position to make an accurate pass. He said at halftime that the unit was improving, but still has a long way to go.

“We were moving the ball. We had a couple of good drives,” Foles said. “We need to put more points on the board and help the defense out. Baby steps right now, but proud of the guys for the effort they’re having.”

The highlight of the first half came when Foles threw a 44-yard deep ball to wide receiver Chris Givens in the end zone. At first it looked like the ball may have been a bit too long, but Foles recognized his wideout’s speed. At halftime, Foles said it’s hard to overthrow Givens.

“I don’t think it’s possible,” Foles said. “He’s one of those guys who’s just gifted with extreme speed. He can go track the ball, so he did a great job getting out there and going to track down that ball and getting it.”

“It definitely feels good,” Givens said. “It felt a lot better to hook up with Nick and make a good play for our team when I felt like we needed it the most.”

That’s the type of play that bodes well for the Rams heading into the final week of preseason play.

In a note that may be classified with “the sky is blue,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald displayed a few of the plays that earned him AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2014. After Johnny Hekker’s punt was downed at the 5-yard line, Donald and the Rams’ defensive line went to work.

2) Aaron Donald can penetrate the backfield

On first down, Donald met running back Daniel Herron in the backfield, and the RB gained a yard. On 2nd-and-9, Donald and fellow defensive tackle Michael Brockers got to Herron in the backfield for a 3-yard loss. And then on 3rd-and-12, Donald came close to taking down Herron in the end zone for a safety, but still planted him for a 2-yard loss.

Again, it’s a performance almost like death and taxes, but Donald looks ready for the regular season.

3) Rams tightened up their defense

Generally, the Rams defense had a strong showing against the run in the first half. The first unit surrendered only 28 yards on the ground on 15 carries, which works out to a 1.9-yard average. The squad also did a good job against Andrew Luck, holding him to 12-of-21 passing for 161 yards and a touchdown.

“Really great work against an outstanding quarterback,” head coach Jeff Fisher said at halftime.

According to Fisher, there was one broken coverage that led to a touchdown when Colts receiver Andre Johnson was left open over the middle. But even with that, the defense responded well, which safety T.J. McDonald said at halftime was a positive sign of what’s to come.

“That’s one thing that we always talk about is responding,” McDonald said. “I think we responded real well. We have some stuff that we’ll go over in the film room and get better. One thing that we didn’t take for granted is our effort. I know we’re out there running to the ball trying to make big hits, make big plays. We just have to start faster.”

4) Avoiding serious injuries

While rookie offensive lineman Jamon Brown exited the game in the first half due to a leg injury, it looks like he avoided anything too serious.

At last check, general manager Les Snead said on the Rams’ preseason broadcast that Brown had a basketball-variety ankle sprain, which is better for him than a high-ankle sprain. Snead added that if Brown had to, he could have come back and played in the game.

The Rams have had good luck in steering clear of the serious injuries during the preseason. Now there’s only one more game to do so before the contests take on meaning.

5) Too many penalties

St. Louis hindered its own drives offensively, and extended a few for Indianapolis with some costly flags. In the first half, the Rams racked up seven penalties for 60 yards. That includes two 15-yard facemask penalties on the offensive line and a defensive holding penalty that wiped out a Janoris Jenkins interception.

“Penalties hurt us again on both sides,” Fisher said at halftime.

There is plenty to clean up there, and those are all correctable mistakes. There is ample time to make the fixes between now and the regular-season opener on Sept. 13 against the Seahawks. But those are the types factors that can make a real difference once the games count.

RamBill

Legend
Penalty and protection issues persist but Rams make progress
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...tection-issues-persist-but-rams-make-progress

ST. LOUIS -- A few thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' 24-14 loss to the Indianapolis Colts:

What it means: The Rams starting offense finally offered some hope with quarterback Nick Foles putting together his best performance of the preseason. He had just one incompletion on 11 tries with 128 yards and threw the first unit's first touchdown of the exhibition slate. All of that despite an offensive line that did its best to make things difficult. The starting five allowed two sacks, a handful of other pressures and committed two 15-yard facemask penalties. The run game continues to struggle, mustering just 28 yards on 12 carries with the starters in the game. There was improvement from last week, but many of the issues that have been prevalent under coach Jeff Fisher and this preseason continue to persist.

Play of the game: For the second week in a row, it's a Chris Givens touchdown. Givens got behind the Indianapolis secondary for a 44-yard touchdown from Foles for the starting offense's first preseason touchdown. Givens had an 80-yard touchdown last week against Tennessee.

Stat of note: Seven for 60. That's how many accepted penalties the Rams starters had in the first half. It's an issue that has plagued this team since Fisher arrived and doesn't look like it's going away any time soon.

Line dancing: The Rams continued to tinker with their offensive line. Without guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), the Rams moved rookie Jamon Brown from right guard to left guard with Demetrius Rhaney starting at right guard. As expected, Barrett Jones started at center. But moving Brown offered more intrigue. At this point in the preseason, the most logical reason for the move would be that the team intends to move Saffold back to right guard when he returns. Saffold played there in 2013, and going back to that spot would also allow the Rams to breakup the two rookies on the right side.

Injuries of note: Brown left the game in the second quarter with an apparent ankle injury. He had the ankle taped but did not return to the game. Running back Tre Mason left in the first quarter, had his right leg wrapped in ice and also did not return.

What's next: The Rams join the rest of the league in making their first round of cuts as they must get down to 75 players by Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET. From there, they wrap up the preseason at home Thursday night against the Kansas City Chiefs.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I also missed the game, but sounds like I didn't miss much (from these reports and what we've seen the first 2 preseason games). Hopefully the injuries are minor.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just can't leave attendance out of it. Cannot fucking help himself. Did he expect 67,000 people to be there for PRESEASON game??? Of course the attendance is going to be lower. We haven't exactly lit it up thus far and they might move. But yeah let's spend $150 to go watch a meaningless game.

RamBill

Legend
Rams offense shows up in loss to Colts
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f1079185-e5c9-5482-af2d-9f6571507ee8.html

Well, it took nine series to get there, but Nick Foles and the Rams’ first-team offense finally got into the end zone.

And even though the Rams made enough mistakes and committed enough penalties to give them plenty to work on next week, the offense showed signs of life in Saturday’s 24-14 loss to Indianapolis.

Only 37,460 tickets were distributed for the Rams’ preseason home opener.

“I think we’re improving,” Foles said. “We still have a log ways to go, but I was really proud of the guys. We were moving the ball. We had a couple of good drives. We have to stop getting penalties on ourselves, but I think we’re stepping in the right direction.”

Despite spotty, at best, blocking by the offensive line, Foles easily was the sharpest he’s been in the preseason, completing 10 of 11 passes for 128 yards and a touchdown. His passer rating was 145.5.

“It looked like Nick was very precise,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “His numbers were good, he knew where to go with the ball. We had a couple protection issues which I think you attribute to preseason. He knew he was gonna get hit and he took the hit. He got back up and kept playing.”

That first touchdown came as a result of good field position, compliments of the special teams and defensive units.

After Isaiah Pead downed a Johnny Hekker punt, Indianapolis was pinned at it’s own 5-yard line to start a second-quarter possession. Three running plays later, the Colts were punting from their 1 thanks to stout run defense by defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald, who dropped Colts running back Daniel Herron for back-to-back losses.

“That’s kinda the play that we expect, or that I expect, out of our defense,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “It’s like people got upset and decided to just take it to another level. Our D-line fired off, big time.”

The Rams took over at the Indy 44 following a Colts’ punt, and struck quickly. Using play-action that included a fake end-around, Foles seemed to temporarily freeze the Indianapolis defense then threw deep to a streaking Chris Givens, who ran under the ball for a 44-yard score.

It was the second big play for Givens in as many games. Against Tennessee, he scored on an 80-yard TD pass play from backup QB Case Keenum. This one came with 10 minutes, 18 seconds to play in the first half and narrowed Indy’s lead to 10-7.

“It definitely feels good,” said Givens, who has been the Rams’ most impressive wide receiver this preseason. “It felt a lot better too hook up with Nick and make a good play for our team when I felt like we needed it the most.”

Even prior to the Givens’ score, the Rams’ offense showed signs of life but self-destructed on two occasions because of penalties:

• On the opening series, Foles connected with Tavon Austin for a 25-yard gain that was wiped out by an offensive pass interference call on Austin. Austin did extend his arm as if to push off, but his jersey also was grabbed briefly by a Colts defender. All in all, it should have been a no-call.

• On the Rams’ second series, the Rams overcame a facemask call against center Barrett Jones, but couldn’t overcome a facemask call against right guard Demetrius Rhaney deep in Indy territory. A sack by Erik Waldenn, who got around right tackle Rob Havenstein, took the Rams out of field goal range.

“Tonight’s a great illustration of if you turn the football over and you have costly penalties at the wrong time, it can cost you the ballgame,” Fisher said. “We’ve got to get the penalty thing under control.”

The Rams were penalized 10 times for 83 yards and have been guilty of 29 penalties for 229 yards in their three preseason games — all losses.

After the Given’s TD, the Rams reached their 44 before stalling after failing to pick up a well-executed Colts blitz, leading to another sack of Foles.

Defensively, the Rams were able to shut down the Indianapolis running game in the first half, limiting the Colts to just 28 yards on 15 carries — or 1.9 yards per carry. It should be noted that Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore, the former 49er, did not play.

“We always want to start fast,” safety T.J. McDonald said. “We didn’t do that this game, but we bounced back. That’s one thing that we always talk about is responding. I think we responded real well. We have some stuff that we’ll go over in the film room and get better.”

Converting on a pair of third-down plays, the Colts did put up three points on an Adam Vinatieri field goal on their opening drive. They then fooled the Rams on an onside kick, with Indy’s Clayton Geathers outscrapping the Rams’ Cody Davis for the loose ball.

Quarterback Andrew Luck then got a freebie. A busted coverage left Andre Johnson, the longtime Houston Texan and seven-time Pro Bowler, open deep down the seam. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins had a chance to bring him down at the 7-yard line but whiffed. The result was a 32-yard TD and a 10-0 Colts lead with 7:45 to play in the opening quarter.

Luck came out to start the third quarter, but a botched handoff by running back Josh Robinson resulted in a fumble on the first play from scrimmage of the second half. Rookie linebacker Byrce Hager recovered for the Rams at the Indianapolis 17.

With Keenum in at quarterback, the Rams needed just three plays to reach the end zone — two runs by Trey Watts sandwiched around an 8-yard reception by Cory Harkey. Watts’ second carry was a three-yard TD run off right tackle in which he scored untouched.

The extra point by backup kicker Michael Palardy gave the Rams a 14-13 lead with 13:28 left in the third — their first lead of the preseason since Greg Zuerlein’s field goal on the Rams’ first possession of Game 1 in Oakland.

But the lead didn’t last long, with Indianapolis converting a Sean Mannion interception into a TD (and 2-point conversion) and Vinatieri added a third field goal late.

=============

Rams notes: Mason leaves with hamstring injury
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d49accf7-1c11-5ffd-8d13-a87a338b4ec1.html

The Rams didn’t escape injury Saturday night in their third game of the 2015 preseason. But all things considered, they got by much easier against Indianapolis than in the third game of the 2014 preseason.

In that game, in Cleveland, now-former Rams quarterback Sam Bradford was lost for the season with a knee injury. And starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson was lost for half the season with a knee injury.

Against the Colts, running back Tre Mason left late in the first quarter after suffering a hamstring injury. (He had missed time earlier in training camp with a similar injury.)

“It was just a little tweak,” Mason said. “It’s nothing too bad. It’s just tight. It got a little sore, so got out of there.”

Rams athletic trainers immediately applied ice to Mason’s right leg. Even if the injury isn’t serious, the team closes preseason play in just five days against Kansas City, so Mason won’t be seen until at least the season opener against Seattle.

With Todd Gurley not expected to play in the regular season opener, it’s obviously important to have Mason ready for the Seahawks.

He carried four times for 12 yards and caught two passes for 19 yards before he left. His last play was his longest gain of the night — a 14-yard gain on a screen pass from quarterback Nick Foles.

“You’ve got to get those yards first, then you can get out,” Mason said, laughing.

Rookie offensive guard Jamon Brown suffered an injury to his right ankle in the second quarter. Brown walked off the field on his own, got the foot examined and taped, but did not return to the game. But since he didn’t even put ice on the foot, it doesn’t appear to be a serious injury.

“It appears to be just a lateral ankle,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “When you’re talking high ankle, you’ve got problems. When you’re talking lateral, they’ll come back really fast. He wanted to come back in the game, we just kind of held him out.”

Lateral ankle sprains usually sideline a player for maybe a week or two.

LINE SHUFFLING

Brown actually started at left guard Saturday instead of his usual right guard spot. Demetrius Rhaney, who had worked at left guard all week in practice, started instead at right guard.

When asked why Brown suddenly showed up at left guard, Fisher said: “He played quite a bit on the left side in college and we wanted to get him some work there.”

Barrett Jones got the start at center. When Brown left the game with his injury, he was replaced by Garrett Reynolds, who was picked up from Detroit during the offseason via free agency.

SITTING IT OUT

Left guard Rodger Saffold sat out his second consecutive preseason game with a shoulder injury, so if he’s going to get any additional preseason work, it will have to be in Thursday’s preseason finale against Kansas City. Saffold tweaked the shoulder on the fourth play of the preseason opener against Oakland.

Also sitting out Saturday’s game: Gurley (knee), CB Brandon McGee (foot), LB Darren Bates (knee), LB Korey Toomer (ankle), OT Andrew Donnal (finger), TE Brad Smelley, DT Doug Worthington, and DT Nick Fairley.

Fairley has some soreness in the collarbone area.

LANGFORD RETURNS

Kendall Langford started 36 games for the Rams at defensive tackle from 2012 through 2014. But he lost his starting job to rookie Aaron Donald after four games last season, with his playing time decreasing as the season progressed.

Released at the end of February in a salary cap move that saved the Rams $6 million, Langford signed with Indianapolis two weeks later. His four-year deal with the Colts is worth $17.2 million, but with only a modest $2.5 million guaranteed.

So far this training camp and preseason, Langford has been the best defensive lineman on the Colts’ roster. That’s somewhat of a relative term, because the Colts aren’t nearly as talented athletically on their D-line as the Rams.

After three seasons playing tackle in a 4-3 front in St. Louis, Langford has returned to playing end in a 3-4 alignment for Indy. That’s the position he played during his first four years in the league, with Miami.

LOCAL LINE

The Indianapolis roster includes Missouri State offensive guard David Arkin and three former University of Illinois players: offensive guard Hugh Thornton, wide receiver Ryan Lankford, and cornerback Vontae Davis. Thornton did not play Saturday because of a knee injury.

Former Rams assistant coach Rick Venturi, who spent several years as a radio analyst in St. Louis once his coaching career was done, is now doing radio and TV work in Indianapolis. He was the color analyst Saturday for the Indianapolis telecast of the Colts-Rams contest.

LAST TIME (IN AUGUST)

Saturday’s meeting was just the fifth preseason contest between the teams. The most recent contest opened the 2012 exhibition season, marking Jeff Fisher’s Rams coaching debut. It was also Indy quarterback Andrew Luck’s pro debut, with the Colts winning 38-3 and Luck throwing two TD passes.

============

Gordon: Foles shines in preseason home debut
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_602f179c-72db-5d38-a82d-355c6a1d1e1f.html

Worry not about new Rams quarterback Nick Foles.

He looked just fine during the 24-14 loss to the Indianapolis Colts Saturday night before a small, widely-scattered and not-so-intimate gathering at the Edward Jones Dome.

Foles nailed his home debut after accomplishing little during preseason losses at Oakland and Tennessee. “We moved forward today as a team,” Foles said. “We still have a long ways to go.”

Progress was essential because this was the final full dress rehearsal for the regular season. The Rams will be in injury prevention mode while playing their preseason finale Thursday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

“We need to put more points on the board and help the defense out,” Foles said. “Baby steps right now, but proud of the guys for the effort they’re having.”

He moved well inside and outside of the pocket, eluding pressure time and again to make plays. For instance, Foles rolled deftly to his left to complete an early 14-yard pass to Kenny Britt.

“That was not a surprise to me to see that,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He has the ability to extend plays.”

Foles threw a 44-yard TD pass in the second quarter, heaving a long ball that speedy receiver Chris Givens ran under in the end zone. “He’s one of those guys who’s just gifted with extreme speed,” Foles said. “He did a great job getting out there and going to track down that ball and getting it.”

Earlier, Foles lost a nice 25-yard completion to receiver Tavon Austin on a dubious offensive pass interference call.

Austin ran a terrific pass route to get wide open. He got so open, in fact, that he had ample room to run after making the catch. Alas, Austin was also so open that he also drew a flag from the skeptical officiating crew.

“Really unfortunate he got that pass interference call,” Fisher said. “We could have done some things with that drive.”

Foles played the entire first half and finished 10 for 11 for 128 yards, the TD pass to Givens and a shiny 145.5 passer rating.

“I felt there was improvement,” Foles said. “I expect more from myself and more from this offense.”

There was nowhere to go but up after unsightly losses to the Raiders and Titans. He completed just three of seven passes for 18 yards and a “pick six” interception during the dismal Rams performance at Tennessee.

Overall he was just six for 12 for 87 yards and the interception during the previous two preseason games.

Two plays at Oakland — a pass to Lance Kendricks and a catch-and-run by Austin — produced 51 yards. On the other 25 plays the Rams’ top unit ran during the first two games, it generated just 52 yards.

Foles sailed one pass to Britt and absorbed two sacks against the Colts, but otherwise he took good care of the ball while working around his teammates’ sundry mistakes.

“We were moving the ball,” Foles said. “We had a couple of good drives. We have to stop getting penalties on ourselves, but I think we’re stepping in the right direction.”

Now the bad news: The Rams’ offensive line inexperience reared its ugly head early and often against the sturdy Colts defense.

Starting center Barrett Jones earned a 15-yard facemask penalty, as did fill-in right guard Demetrius Rhaney. (With veteran Rodger Saffold sidelined by his latest shoulder injury, rookie Jamon Brown moved from right guard to left and Rhaney moved over from his natural center position.)

“The big thing is we have to clean up the penalties,” Foles said. “Those are drive stoppers.”

Rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein was an easy mark for the Colts, to nobody’s surprise. Linebacker Erik Walden dusted him once on a speed rush and once in a blitz package, leading to the two Foles sacks.

“It’s a process,” Foles said. “Every day you have to keep working on it. They are coming along. They are getting better and better.”

On the touchdown pass to Givens, Brown, one of the team’s preseason stalwarts, suffered an ankle injury. But he eventually got up and left the field under his own power, to the team’s considerable relief. The preliminary diagnosis is an ordinary sprain.

The starting offensive line didn’t open many running lanes. The Rams rushed for just 28 yards on 12 first-half rushes with mostly starters playing. Seldom-seen Isaiah Pead (!) got loose for a 13-yard run, but otherwise the ground game went nowhere against the top Indianapolis defenders.

On the other hand, Rhaney, in particular, got downfield to make crushing blocks that turned little passing plays into big gainers.

Other than the long strike to Givens, those pass plays provided the Rams’ offensive highlights. Running back Benny Cunningham had a couple of 16-yard receptions and Tre Mason caught two passes for 19 yards before exiting with an apparently minor hamstring strain.

“We took a step forward to get better,” Mason said. “We’ve got to learn from this loss, but from here on out we’re going to figure out ways to get better and put in the pieces of the puzzle.”

===========

Rams' Givens continues to make big plays in the preseason
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fe49534a-32b1-5c7b-bf11-8392c86304ee.html

Every time he takes the field, Rams wide receiver Chris Givens feels like he has something to prove.

“You know how people say they have a chip on their shoulder? Well, I say I’ve got a potato on mine, a big old Idaho spud,’’ the fourth-year pro from Wake Forest said following the Rams’ 24-14 loss to the Indianapolis Colts Saturday night at the Edward Jones Dome. “Every day, I just want to make sure I’m in the right place at the right time. I want to show all my quarterbacks and my coaches that I’m a guy they can rely on.’’

Givens, who was selected in the fourth round of the 2012 draft, has been one of the Rams most consistent performers in the preseason. On Saturday, he caught a pair of passes, including a 44-yard touchdown strike from Nick Foles, and finished with 63 receiving yards. He also had a 6-yard run.

In an 18-3 loss at Oakland to open the preseason, he caught four passes for 36 yards and added a 16-yard run on an end-around. Against Tennessee in a 24-14 Week 2 loss, he hauled in an 80-yard bomb from Case Keenum for the Rams’ first TD of the preseason and added a 22-yard kickoff return.

“I’m just trying to make plays and having a great time,’’ the 25-year-old said.

The Rams trailed 10-0 early in the second quarter Saturday when the defense, led by starting defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald, forced the Colts to punt from their 1-yard line.

On first down from the Indianapolis 44, Foles lofted a pass for Givens, who ran a deep crossing pattern and made a sliding catch for the starting unit’s initial touchdown of the preseason.

“I knew how (Foles) was going to throw ball given the coverage and once I saw the ball, my eyes got big and I knew I just had to go and get it,’’ the 6-foot, 203-pound Givens said. “It was the perfect ball and the perfect situation.’’

It was the first touchdown pass of the preseason for Foles, who completed 10 of 11 passes for 128 yards on Saturday.

“Chris did a great job of tracking the ball and showing his athletic ability,’’ Foles said. “I have a trust factor with all my guys ... when the ball’s in the air, I know they’re coming down with it.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher added: “When (Givens) gets an opportunity, he makes a play. It was a great throw. Nick threw him open and he went and got the ball, which was good to see. He’s had a good camp.’’

Givens likes what he’s seen of Foles, who was acquired shortly before the draft in a trade that involved Sam Bradford going to the Philadelphia Eagles.

“I’m seeing the same thing (from Foles) that I’ve seen since OTAs,’’ Givens said. “Nick’s a real good quarterback, a guy who always makes the right decisions. And it’s starting to show more and more. We’ve struggled at times — we’ve gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot with the penalties and other mistakes — but we’re an explosive offense that’s just going to keep getting better.’’

Early in the third quarter Saturday, on a third-and-3 from the Rams’ 15, Givens caught a short pass from Austin Davis and turned it into a 19-yard gain. On the next play, he took a handoff around left end for a 6-yard gain.

Givens started his NFL career with a bang. In 2012, he set an NFL rookie record with five consecutive games with at least one catch of 50-plus yards. That season, he caught 42 catches for a team-leading 698 yards and scored three touchdowns.

Givens made 34 catches for 569 yards but did not score in 2013. Last year, he had just 11 receptions for 159 yards, including a 47-yard TD catch.

Once regarded as simply a deep threat, Givens has worked hard to make himself a more complete receiver. He has focused on learning the finer points of the Rams’ offense and now feels he can effectively play and contribute in any receiver spot.

“I’m staying positive and most importantly, staying consistent and just coming to work every day and blocking out all of the distractions,” he said. “I’m just really at a point where I’m just trying to show the world what I can do and I’m just excited to get the opportunity to do that.’’

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
After last week, I just really wanted to be encouraged.

In that respect, I'd say "mission accomplished."

Of course, there's plenty to work on, but at least now I have things to look at and be hopeful. Last week, I had to have faith that I could hope. It was like wishing on a prayer...

Just feels like while nothing is set in stone, that our optimism can feel a little more justified now.

And that feels good. To me at least...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
'Rams improve but still fall to the Colts'. Why is that a headline? It's preseason. Fisher pulled the starting secondary early. It's a practice game. Why can't the headline just be 'The Rams improvement showing against the Colts'

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
'Rams improve but still fall to the Colts'. Why is that a headline? It's preseason. Fisher pulled the starting secondary early. It's a practice game. Why can't the headline just be 'The Rams improvement showing against the Colts'

Or either "Rams starters beat Colts starters" [I'm including the first drive of the second half, we may have had our backups in, but they decided to keep Luck in, so it counts].

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
It was certainly their best pre-season game. I thought the defensive line played much better against the run and that was great to see. There were still some missed tackles(I thought the linebackers in particular missed a few) and there is some stuff to work out in the secondary but overall I was happy with the defense. I think(hope) they'll have it all together by the Seahawks game.

Foles had a good game. He had something like a 145 passer rating. I'll take it. The penalties didn't help him. But he played well.

The short passing game in particular, hitting the backs was effective tonight and they actually had some decent blocking on those plays.

Givens is a deep ball threat. Love to see that.

Blocking? Meh. They have a lot of room for improvement there. Shuffling around is probably not helping but what can they do? One injury and uncertainty at certain positions kind of make it necessary. Despite his facemask penalty, Jones may have won the center job. I hope that's settled soon.

Right now it's a team that has improved but then it was a team that had a lot of room for improvement. I am going to try my best not to judge too much until the first real game is played. But the line needs to be settled by then for sure--right now I'm guessing it's Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein. I'm hoping that at least one decent back-up lineman shakes loose during the cuts because the line just feels really thin but Reynolds had a nice play or two.

Either way--they have to be ready and soon.

I don't guess we'll learn too much in the last pre-season game.
'

V3

Hall of Fame
Just can't leave attendance out of it. Cannot freaking help himself. Did he expect 67,000 people to be there for PRESEASON game??? Of course the attendance is going to be lower. We haven't exactly lit it up thus far and they might move. But yeah let's spend $150 to go watch a meaningless game.
Aren't season ticket holders required to buy them? If so, it's a sign of poor season ticket sales.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
or...The Rams Ones beat the Colts Ones, 14-13?

Memphis Ram

Legend
LOWS
LB Alec Ogletree: Ogletree was all over the place Saturday night but also seemed a bit out of control on a few occasions. He missed some tackles and picked up a defensive holding penalty that nullified a Janoris Jenkins interception.

Ogletree should have gotten a personal foul penalty when he shoved the Colts TE head after a play, too.:mad: