Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“I’ve known the guys over the years most of my life, but I’ve got a lot of respect for them,” Kyle Shanahan told Atlanta media of the Broncos last week. “So that’s really what’s most flattering, when you got respect for people who you really think … do things the right way and they’re really about one thing, and that’s trying to win a Super Bowl.”
I hope this comment^ doesn't mean he's leaning toward the Broncos!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

View: https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/818707119595814912

yikes, even the niners job is better than the rams job.

I think we should all realize this notion is before the fact the man has actually sat with us. I am confident once this weekend comes and goes, he will have the Rams as one of the top spots in his mind. In fact, I think once we complete his interview Demoff and the staff will have a much stronger idea of who they will be targeting. He is arguably the last big name we have yet to interview. For all we know, it could be coming down to him or McVay, and our staff just wants to pick his thoughts on his scheming. It's either Payton, Gruden (long shots I know) or McVay for me. Would love to see the redskins allow Callahan to be tabbed as McVay's assistant HC or OC.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I doubt if Bill Belichick had great interviews when he was trying to get a head coach job. He's the king of mumbles. And I'm guessing Jeff Fisher gives great interviews. The man has a way with words and is an interesting guy. The point is that someone who gives a great interview may not be able to translate it to what he does with the team.

The whole "this guy or that guy sure had a great interview" thing is making me nervous. Who can you get for your coaching staff? What is your plan for fixing our offense? What players do we need on both sides of the ball to get better? What have you accomplished in the past that would give us the confidence to hire you? These types of questions shouldn't take 4 hours.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Would love to see the redskins allow Callahan to be tabbed as McVay's assistant HC or OC

If there was an ironclad guarantee that we could get Callahan to come with McVay, I'd beg the Rams to make an offer to Sean right now. Just the improvement in the OL due to Callahan would make the offense noticeably better.

I doubt if Bill Belichick had great interviews when he was trying to get a head coach job. He's the king of mumbles. And I'm guessing Jeff Fisher gives great interviews. The man has a way with words and is an interesting guy.

As Steve Martin once said, during his stand-up days: "Some people have a way with words, and others ... not ... have ... way." :ROFLMAO:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's no way in hell the 49ers job is better than the Rams job. They have batsh!t crazy ownership that is approaching Cleveland levels of dysfunction (evidenced by looking for their 3rd HC in 3 years after running off a guy who had made them a winner). They have no prospective QB on their roster and have far more holes than the Rams do. They play in a stadium that is far from their home market and is mostly empty on game days. That job is sh!t.

Riddick is feeding that BS. ESPN analyst who is on the 9er's list as a prospective GM. But none of that matters because these coaches aren't like fans, they have their own take based on extensive film work and league connections. So I agree with you, it's not close. Rams' job is second only to the Broncos, and I personally think that one is personal opinion as I like the Rams' QB situation and external elements far more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there was an ironclad guarantee that we could get Callahan to come with McVay, I'd beg the Rams to make an offer to Sean right now. Just the improvement in the OL due to Callahan would make the offense noticeably better.

I've accepted that Callahan won't come with him. But he might bring the Asst OL coach with him, who was with Callahan in Dallas and this past season in Washington. I'm not averse to a hungry young OL coach who's had a couple seasons under Callahan's wing, provided he has performed well enough for them to consider him. Here's his bio from the Skins site:

Kevin Carberry is entering his third NFL season and his first with the Redskins after being named the team’s assistant offensive line coach on February 17, 2016.

Prior to joining the Redskins, Carberry spent the 2014-15 seasons as an offensive assistant for the Dallas Cowboys. During his time in Dallas, he coordinated the daily practice schedule and scripts, assisted with the weekly run game installation and assisted the offensive staff with video analysis of opponent breakdowns and self-scouting. During practices, he coached the offensive scout teams and assisted with the offensive line in 2014 and tight ends in 2015.

Carberry spent the first five seasons of his coaching career at the collegiate level, serving as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Kansas from 2009-11 and coaching defensive ends at Stephen F. Austin from 2012-13. He helped the defense lead the Southland Conference with 31.0 sacks in his first season in 2012. At Kansas, he worked with the defensive line and outside linebackers, helping the defense place 26th nationally in sacks per game in 2009.

Prior to entering the coaching ranks, Carberry attended training camps of the Cleveland Browns (2005) and Carolina Panthers (2006) and spent the 2005 season on the practice squad of the Detroit Lions. He also played for the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe in the spring of 2006. From 2007- 08, he played in the Arena Football League for the New York Dragons and Philadelphia Soul and was a member of the Soul’s 2008 Arena Bowl Championship squad.

Carberry also coached during his playing career, serving as the defensive coordinator/defensive line and inside linebackers coach at St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago, Ill., during his AFL years in 2007-08. In 2006, he was a varsity assistant for Illinois 7A State Champion St. Rita H.S., his alma mater.

Carberry, a four-year letterman at Ohio University, earned All-MAC honors as senior team captain. He graduated from Ohio in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in marketing and earned his Master’s in sports administration in 2010 from Kansas.

Carberry is married to his wife, Emily.

CARBERRY FOOTBALL TIMELINE
2014-15: Offensive Assistant, Dallas Cowboys
2012-13: Defensive Ends, Stephen F. Austin
2009-11: Defensive Graduate Assistant, Kansas
2007-08*: Defensive Lineman, New York Dragons and Philadelphia Soul; Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line/Linebackers, St. Ignatius College Prep (Ill.)
2006*: Defensive Lineman, Berlin Thunder; Varsity Assistant, St. Rita H.S. (Ill.)
2005: Defensive End, Detroit Lions (Practice Squad)
2001-04: Defensive End, Ohio

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Charley Casserly Says He’d Be Surprised If Sean McVay Was Hired This Year

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has interviewed for the head coaching jobs with the Rams and the 49ers, and he’s reportedly “crushed them both.” Therefore, it would appear that despite his age and lack of experience with overseeing a full team, he’s a serious candidate for the two openings. Charley Casserly talks about McVay and the other head coaching candidates.

Listen to Casserly Talk Head Coach Candidates

SAK11

Rookie
I doubt if Bill Belichick had great interviews when he was trying to get a head coach job. He's the king of mumbles. And I'm guessing Jeff Fisher gives great interviews. The man has a way with words and is an interesting guy. The point is that someone who gives a great interview may not be able to translate it to what he does with the team.

The whole "this guy or that guy sure had a great interview" thing is making me nervous. Who can you get for your coaching staff? What is your plan for fixing our offense? What players do we need on both sides of the ball to get better? What have you accomplished in the past that would give us the confidence to hire you? These types of questions shouldn't take 4 hours.

I'm a big hockey fan and my team went through the process of hiring a coach in the off-season, and apparently the guy they ended up picking met with them for 12 hours over two days. I thought this was insane, but I've come to realize it's a huge choice for the franchise, one that will impact them greatly for the next couple of years at the very least. Same thing applies here. And really, there's so much they could talk about, especially in football where so much goes in to running a team. I'd rather them be thorough than to rush through it.
But it's true what you said about Fisher, there are certain guys that I'm sure would just wow you in an interview [I think McDaniel's would be this way].

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
10 head coach candidates: Why they fit, don't fit Rams
upload_2017-1-10_12-14-54.png

The Rams' interviewing party, led by executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff, left, has some very important work ahead of it these next few days as it searches for the franchise's next head coach. Mark J. Terrill/AP Photo

By Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- The proverbial first domino fell on Monday, when Jacksonville announced that interim coach Doug Marrone would remain in the role full time.

That leaves five coaching vacancies, for Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo, San Diego and, most relevant here, the Los Angeles Rams.

The Rams' interviewing party -- a group that is led by COO Kevin Demoff and also includes Les Snead, who might or might not remain general manager after this process is complete -- returned to Southern California on Monday and has some very important work ahead of it these next few days. Assistant coaches on playoff teams who continue on cannot be interviewed for the first time after this weekend, with second interviews only allowed the weekend before the Super Bowl. Once eliminated, of course, interviews can be scheduled at any time.

Last week, the Rams interviewed Steve Wilks, Harold Goodwin, Sean McVay, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Anthony Lynn and, before he came off the board, Marrone. This week, they're expected to interview Teryl Austin, Mike Vrabel, Vance Joseph and Kyle Shanahan, whose original interview was held up by weather. Other names might pop up, as well. A convenient one-stop shop for content related to all coaching vacancies can be found here. Below is a categorical look at the 10 names linked to the Rams.

Teryl Austin

Current title: Lions defensive coordinator, 3 seasons

Prior roles: Ravens secondary coach (2011-13) ... Florida defensive coordinator (2010) ... Cardinals defensive backs coach (2007-09) ... Seahawks defensive backs coach (2003-06)

Why he fits: Austin runs a very aggressive 4-3 scheme -- though he can also adjust well -- and has historically gotten the most out of his players. He can do well with a Rams group that features a solid defensive line and athletic linebackers, and he'd be very well-suited to improve a thin secondary. Austin has coached the secondary for Super Bowl teams in 2005 (Seahawks), 2008 (Cardinals) and 2012 (Ravens). He also has the magnetic personality that can thrive in a big market like Los Angeles, ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein would tell you.

Why he doesn't: Austin interviewed for head coaching vacancies with eight teams the past two years and many believe this is the year he finally gets a gig. The Rams might not be a fit, though, for one very obvious reason -- their biggest need is someone who can fix the offense. And though Demoff has stressed that the organization would remain open-minded in its search, it's hard to hire someone like Austin unless he has an offensive-minded coach he can bring with him. The Lions won't let current offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter take the same job elsewhere. Maybe quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan?

Harold Goodwin

Current title: Cardinals offensive coordinator, four seasons

Prior roles: Colts offensive line coach (2012) ... Steelers offensive line coach and quality control coordinator (2007-11) ... Bears assistant offensive line coach (2004-06)

Why he fits: Goodwin came up coaching offensive lines, which is nice for a Rams team that drafted seven offensive linemen from 2014-15 and has yet to see results. While he was in Pittsburgh, the Steelers frequently had strong running games. In Arizona, he helped spark the resurgence of quarterback Carson Palmer. The Cardinals improved 20 spots, from 32nd to 12th, in total offense in Goodwin's first year as offensive coordinator in 2013. In 2015, they had the best offense in the NFL.

Why he doesn't: Goodwin doesn't call plays. That task falls on Bruce Arians, one of the NFL's sharpest offensive minds. Goodwin has certainly gained a lot from working under Arians all these years, but going from an offensive coordinator who doesn't call plays to the head coach of a team that needs a lot of offensive help might be too big of a jump. Goodwin might need more seasoning.

Vance Joseph

Current title: Dolphins defensive coordinator, one season

Prior roles: Bengals defensive backs coach (2014-15) ... Texans defensive backs coach (2011-13) ... 49ers defensive backs coach (2006-10)

Why he fits: Joseph is the third successful defensive backs coach to emerge as a head coaching candidate for the Rams, who previously employed another former defensive backs coach -- Jeff Fisher. Under Joseph's watch from 2014-15, the Bengals' secondary led the NFL with 41 interceptions and limited opposing quarterbacks to an NFL-low 77.4 passer rating. In three seasons in Houston, the Texans allowed the NFL's lowest completion percentage (54.5). Joseph has a knack for developing young defensive backs. He's also an honest, clear communicator.

Why he doesn't: The Dolphins' defense wasn't very good in Joseph's first year as an NFL coordinator. Miami gave up the fourth-most yards during the regular season, then surrendered 30 points in a wild-card loss to the Steelers.

Anthony Lynn

Current tile: Bills interim head coach, one season

Prior roles: Bills offensive coordinator and running backs coach (2015-16) ... Jets assistant head coach (2014) ... Jets running backs coach (2009-13) ... Browns running backs coach (2007-08) ... Cowboys running backs coach (2005-06) ... Jaguars running backs coach (2003-04)

Why he fits: Two words: running game. Under Lynn's watch, the Bills have boasted the NFL's most effective rushing attack each of the past two years. Lynn helped Fred Taylor rush for a combined 2,796 yards from 2003 to '04, then helped Jamal Lewis have back-to-back 1,000-rushing-yard seasons from 2007 to '08. From 2009 to '13, the Jets -- with four different lead rushers -- averaged 136 rushing yards per game, third-highest in the NFL during that time. Lynn is the perfect man to help a Rams running attack that declined drastically in Todd Gurley's second season.

Why he doesn't: Like Goodwin, Lynn doesn't have much experience as a play-caller, doing it in only the final 13 games of 2016. He also never worked with quarterbacks until he became offensive coordinator this season, which would bring serious questions as to whether he could actually help 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff. That inexperience might not jibe for a Rams organization that needs a quick turnaround in an impatient market.

Josh McDaniels

Current title: Patriots offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, five seasons

Prior roles: Rams offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach (2011) ... Broncos head coach (2009-10) ... Patriots offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach (2006-08) ... Patriots quarterbacks coach (2004-05) ... Patriots defensive assistant (2002-03)

Why he fits: McDaniels has spent 13 years learning under Bill Belichick and working with Tom Brady, and along the way he has developed into one of the game's most innovative offensive minds. The Patriots finished within the top 10 in points in all nine of McDaniels' seasons as offensive coordinator. That includes 2007, when McDaniels was at the controls of an offense that scored a then-record 75 touchdowns. And it includes 2016, when McDaniels masterfully adjusted while being without Brady for the first four games and without Rob Gronkowski for the final five.

Why he doesn't: McDaniels didn't handle his first head coaching gig well. He bickered with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, reportedly tuned out his assistant coaches, did not make sound personnel decisions and wound up in the middle of a videotaping scandal. McDaniels was only 33 when he took that job and said he has since grown. The Rams would really be counting on that if they gave him the job. McDaniels didn't necessarily help them in 2011, a 2-14 finish with an offense led by Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson.

Sean McVay

Current title: Redskins offensive coordinator, three seasons

Prior roles: Redskins tight ends coach (2011-13) ... Redskins assistant tight ends coach (2010) ... wide receivers coach and quality control coordinator in United Football League (2009) ... Buccaneers offensive assistant (2008)

Why he fits: Kirk Cousins was a fourth-round pick who sat behindRobert Griffin III for the majority of his first three seasons. McVay helped elevate him to a star. With McVay as offensive coordinator from 2015-16, Cousins ranked third in completion percentage, fourth in Total QBR and fifth in yards per attempt. During that time, the Redskins' offense gained the sixth-most yards in the NFL. McVay has quickly become an aggressive play-caller who loves to throw the ball downfield. He also projects himself well and has quickly gained a reputation as a standout interviewer. ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim highlighted some of McVay's traits here.

Why he doesn't: Well, you know, he's really, really young. McVay will be 31 by the end of this month. And though he has packed a lot of NFL inexperience in a very short time, McVay -- grandson of former Giants coach and 49ers vice president John McVay -- is still evolving as a play-caller and a leader.

Matt Patricia

Current title: Patriots defensive coordinator, five seasons

Prior roles: Patriots safeties coach (2011) ... Patriots linebackers coach (2006-10) ... Patriots offensive assistant (2004-05)

Why he fits: Patricia, a trained aeronautical engineer, is one of the NFL's brightest minds and has had unquestioned success. Since he stepped in as defensive coordinator in 2012, the Patriots have given up the NFL's fewest points. Patricia has been calling the defensive plays since 2010. And like McDaniels, he has benefited from an entire NFL career of working under Belichick. Those who know him consider Patricia a tireless worker to whom players easily respond.

Why he doesn't: Like with any other defensive-minded coach, a limited offensive background will hurt Patricia on a Rams team that is motivated mainly by improving its lackluster offense. Patricia, however, did play center in college and called plays for the offensive line. If nothing else, interviewing Patricia is a very good way for the Rams to get feedback on their roster. Demoff sees this process as an ideal opportunity for that.

Kyle Shanahan

Current title: Falcons offensive coordinator, two seasons

Prior roles: Browns offensive coordinator (2014) ... Redskins offensive coordinator (2010-13) ... Texans offensive coordinator (2008-09) ... Texans quarterbacks coach (2007) ... Texans wide receivers coach (2006)

Why he fits: He isn't the game's most coveted offensive coordinator for nothing. In nine seasons in that role, Shanahan -- son of Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Shanahan -- has guided six top-10 offenses. He made Griffin the Offensive Rookie of the Year, helped turn Matt Schaub into a Pro Bowl quarterback and has made Matt Ryan an MVP front-runner this season. Under Shanahan, the Falcons scored an NFL-leading and franchise-record 540 points in 2016. His scheme -- a wide-zone running game, which would require quick reads from Gurley, and lots of play-action -- is appealing to the Rams' personnel.

Why he doesn't: It might take a while to grasp Shanahan's offensive concepts, as evidenced by the Falcons' disappointing showing in 2015. There are also the usual questions about assembling a staff and leading a group that come with your typical rookie coach.

Mike Vrabel

Current title: Texans linebackers coach, three seasons

Prior roles: Ohio State defensive line coach (2012-13) ... Ohio State linebackers coach (2011)

Why he fits: Vrabel has far more playing experience than anybody on this list, having spent 14 years as a linebacker for the Steelers, Patriots and Chiefs. After his playing career ended, Vrabel rose quickly as a coach, spending three years coaching linebackers and defensive linemen at his alma mater and then spending three years coaching linebackers for the Texans, where he helped develop Jadeveon Clowney and Benardrick McKinney. Now he's getting coaching interviews. Vrabel is considered an excellent teacher and motivator.

Why he doesn't: He is seen in some circles as a potential head coach, but that is probably still years away. Vrabel has only ever been a position coach and has no experience as a coordinator. He needs that responsibility first, which is why it was surprising to see the Rams request an interview in the first place.

Steve Wilks

Current title: Panthers assistant head coach and defensive backs coach, two seasons

Prior roles: Panthers defensive backs coach (2012-14) ... Chargers defensive backs coach (2009-11) ... Bears defensive backs coach (2006-08)

Why he fits: Wilks has spent a lot of years working under Ron Rivera, most recently helping with scheduling and planning, so he is familiar with the logistics of a head coach. He has also done a lot in the secondary despite having very little in the way of draft picks and free agents, most notably leading a Super Bowl-caliber group that led the NFL in interceptions in 2015.

Why he doesn't: Wilks, like Vrabel, still needs experience as a coordinator. He is reportedly next in line with the Panthers if current defensive coordinator Sean McDermott lands a head coaching job this offseason. That is the natural next step.

[www.espn.com]

KOWALSKI

Rookie
Jason Cole still thinks the Chargers and Raiders are moving to Carson. Consistently one of the least accurate NFL reporters. Spends half his time calling stuff that is completely obvious to everyone buzz and the other half reporting stuff that is completely wrong.
that's true.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
there are certain guys that I'm sure would just wow you in an interview

And unfortunately this is also true in a private workout. This is how we ended up with Brian Quick.

I'm hoping that Kevin Demoff, and whoever else is there to conduct these interviews, is basing their "wow" impression not on personality and snappy answers to questions, but on football intelligence and the ability to lead men.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So basically, you get some background on a guy and get one, maybe two interviews for 3-6 hours with a guy you're going to give multi-million dollars to. Damn.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you don't have interest in hiring them, don't waste their time. JMO.

This is their dream job. Interviewing them with no intent to hire them is just freaked up. How would you feel in their shoes?
Personally I would feel fucked, IF I knew this where the case! But, then again Football is a Business and gaining a competitive edge is the name of the game!! That's Life!!

Zero

Pro Bowler

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has interviewed for the head coaching jobs with the Rams and the 49ers, and he’s reportedly “crushed them both.” Therefore, it would appear that despite his age and lack of experience with overseeing a full team, he’s a serious candidate for the two openings. Charley Casserly talks about McVay and the other head coaching candidates.

Coach,I just have this feeling that Demoff and company may feel
so pressured to get this right,that they will be too scared to make a
brave hire.I am truly worried that they will over think this thing.
Is it just me or do you think this is a possibility?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I like your questions and agree with you these need to be asked and answered full!
But no less a Former GM than Bill Pollian (SP?) said on ESPN, in his past interviews, with potential HC's, he has formulated pages of questions that need to be asked and a proper interview should take about 12 hours. he went into some depth and it sounded good!
All I'm trying to say is, it should take more than one short interview for the Rams to make up their minds!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am not a fan of Casserly. I don't see him as a top GM mind in any measurable.

Here's my thing with McVay, though, and I'll start with a quote from an article that discusses McDaniels' failure:

Former Broncos tight end Nate Jackson talks about McDaniels in his memoir, Slow Getting Up, and how ill-suited he was to sit down with his players, let alone lead 53 grown men into battle every Sunday.

"I step into Shanahan's old office and shake hands with my new coach," Jackson remembers. "He looks like a little kid sitting in the cockpit of an airplane. For fifteen minutes he rattles off cliches about his football philosophy and his plans for the team. He says that everyone will have a chance to prove themselves on the field. He says that he looks forward to seeing how I will digest his offensive system. But he doesn't make eye contact with me and doesn't laugh at my jokes. After an awkward silence, I grab my jockstrap off his desk and leave. I know I'm in trouble."

It is my opinion based on watching vids of McVay interacting with players, staff, and the press, that he is relaxed and comfortable in his own skin. That example we see above, which I am sure mirrors some other first-time HC types who advanced at a young age only to not succeed, is the type of thing I don't see him struggling with.

IMO he's going to get one of these jobs. And whichever team hires him is going to hit the damn jackpot.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is it just me or do you think this is a possibility?

Things can turn on a dime, however, I'm starting to concur with @Merlin breakdown that the plan is a Patriot West with McDaniels as Head Coach, Nick Caserio as General Manager and Mike Vrable as the new Defensive Coordinator, much to the chagrin of some, however, things change day to day.

IMO, Demoff only focused on Jeff Fisher last time and the only other interview was Ray Horton, so I feel they are doing their due diligence to ensure they interview many to ensure they make the right hire. Will they go with somebody they feel is the ultimate fit? I sure hope so, but all we can do now is speculate.