Rams/Chargers to swap GM's?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yeah, right. Bernie is such an objective reporter. When does the favorable opinion of one goof ball about another goof ball mean that speculation is more than that?

Does Silent Stan talk to Dean Spanos? Does he talk to anybody?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ram Quixote said:
Does Silent Stan talk to Dean Spanos? Does he talk to anybody?

No, he doesn't talk to anybody about that stuff till the offseason. He's always been that way, with all of his teams.

Anonymous

Oh, goody, cause, Smith is the guy who thought Norv Turner was just misunderstood and deserved to be a head coach again.

joeybittick

Rookie
zn said:
Oh, goody, cause, Smith is the guy who thought Norv Turner was just misunderstood and deserved to be a head coach again.

Yeah, his track record is really not all that great imo. I look more at postseason success and the Chargers have not had it.

Now, is his record infinitely better than Devaney's? Yes, but I believe Devaney could one day be the better GM.

HornIt

UDFA
joeybittick said:
zn said:

Yeah, his track record is really not all that great imo. I look more at postseason success and the Chargers have not had it.

Now, is his record infinitely better than Devaney's? Yes, but I believe Devaney could one day be the better GM.

I think he has a pretty good track record. The Chargers hadn't had a winning season in the 8 years prior to him becoming GM. In the 8 years since, they haven't had a losing season, though that might change this year.

I'll take that over the track record we've been watching the last 8 years any day. I'd be thrilled if they finally got a real GM with real proven success like AJ Smith. This organization needs somebody who knows what they are doing from a personnel perspective, even if his head coach decisions have been questionable.

Anonymous

HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

I think he has a pretty good track record. The Chargers hadn't had a winning season in the 8 years prior to him becoming GM. In the 8 years since, they haven't had a losing season, though that might change this year.

I'll take that over the track record we've been watching the last 8 years any day. I'd be thrilled if they finally got a real GM with real proven success like AJ Smith. This organization needs somebody who knows what they are doing from a personnel perspective, even if his head coach decisions have been questionable.

Smith drafts fair to middlin but he didn't build that team from scratch.

HornIt

UDFA
zn said:
HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

Unless you're starting an expansion team, no GM does. But he did turn Eli Manning into Philip Rivers, Shawn Merriman and Nate Keading, and found guys like Michael Turner and Darren Sproles in later rounds.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HornIt said:
zn said:
HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

Unless you're starting an expansion team, no GM does. But he did turn Eli Manning into Philip Rivers, Shawn Merriman and Nate Keading, and found guys like Michael Turner and Darren Sproles in later rounds.

If that was the Rams you'd be complaining that Eli has a Super Bowl ring and Rivers doesn't.

HornIt

UDFA
bluecoconuts said:
HornIt said:
zn said:
HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

If that was the Rams you'd be complaining that Eli has a Super Bowl ring and Rivers doesn't.

What makes you say that? It's not true. I believe I know why you're saying that, but I'm not going to attempt to mind read first and ask questions later. You might try doing the same.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:
HornIt said:
zn said:
HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

What makes you say that? It's not true. I believe I know why you're saying that, but I'm not going to attempt to mind read first and ask questions later. You might try doing the same.

Well I guess that's more a generic statement, I mean people in general. If that was the Rams, everyone would be screaming about how Eli has a Ring and we didn't, and that's a reason why our team makes bad decisions.

HornIt

UDFA
bluecoconuts said:
Well I guess that's more a generic statement, I mean people in general. If that was the Rams, everyone would be screaming about how Eli has a Ring and we didn't, and that's a reason why our team makes bad decisions.

If the Rams were winning like Rivers has thus far in his career, and had Rivers outplayed Manning for the most part, outside of a Super Bowl ring that was hardly all Eli's doing, I'm sure there may be some disagreement about whether that was the best move or not. However, a debate about the degrees of success would sure be far preferable to the degree of ineptitude debates we get to engage in now.

Anonymous

HornIt said:
zn said:
HornIt said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:

It was a euphemism. He started with a loaded team, is the point, put more literally. Same with Thompson in GB. Makes things easier. Rivers for example didn't even play until his 3rd year.

Anonymous

HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

If the Rams were winning like Rivers has thus far in his career, and had Rivers outplayed Manning for the most part, outside of a Super Bowl ring that was hardly all Eli's doing, I'm sure there may be some disagreement about whether that was the best move or not. However, a debate about the degrees of success would sure be far preferable to the degree of ineptitude debates we get to engage in now.

Some genius in San Diego forced Drew Brees out too. Or let him get forced out. That franchise is Marty Schotty redux.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

Some genius in San Diego forced Drew Brees out too. Or let him get forced out. That franchise is Marty Schotty redux.
Could be worse. Could be Marge Schott redux.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well if you let political correctness handcuff you....then yes. However the Reds were champions under old Marge.....and haven't whiffed success in the 20 years since.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well if you let political correctness handcuff you....then yes. However the Reds were champions under old Marge.....and haven't whiffed success in the 20 years since.
Well, let's not give credit where it's not due. They won one WS under her, but Pinella had more to do with that than she did. They were in the NLDS last year, and she's been away from the Reds for 12 years - not 20. Political correctness aside, she was notoriously cheap. But yeah, her complete and utter lack of political correctness would have been a nightmare for any NFL Franchise. Much more so than Marty Schottenheimer's involvement.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well, let's not give credit where it's not due. They won one WS under her, but Pinella had more to do with that than she did. They were in the NLDS last year, and she's been away from the Reds for 12 years - not 20. Political correctness aside, she was notoriously cheap. But yeah, her complete and utter lack of political correctness would have been a nightmare for any NFL Franchise. Much more so than Marty Schottenheimer's involvement.

As the owner she gets the credit for having the pieces in place. Then 12 years of futility and the Reds were a joke in the NLDS last year.....first no hit loss in playoff history.....they also only bottom fed the entire season. It took a bizarre year of the Cardinals being unable to beat bad teams while beating good teams for the Reds to win the division.

Back to the SD GM.....letting Brees go wasn't a good decision and they haven't mae the Super Bowl yet. So I'm not sold on that being a fertile ground of NFL success.

It's simple for me....in Stan I Trust. Whether BD, SS or both stay or leave.....it's Stan's call and I'll roll with it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
It's simple for me....in Stan I Trust. Whether BD, SS or both stay or leave.....it's Stan's call and I'll roll with it.
Well, we can agree on THAT much. I don't care much about Marge. Or Marty. I do like marble rye though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Well, we can agree on THAT much. I don't care much about Marge. Or Marty. I do like marble rye though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:

There it is. :sly:

I knew someone would catch the reference.