Rams can't wait any more for Greg Robinson to take next step

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams can't wait any more for Greg Robinson to take next step
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

OXNARD, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams left tackle Greg Robinson is well aware of the importance of his third NFL season.

As the former No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, Robinson has yet to live up to the lofty expectations that go with that status. After accumulating more holding penalties than any player in the league and struggling in pass protection for much of the 2015 season, Robinson has left outside observers unafraid to use the "B" -- as in bust -- word when describing him.

But as Robinson goes through the team's organized team activities, he isn't allowing the chatter about his early career struggles to bother him. That's because he has too many other things to worry about, like opening holes for prized running back Todd Gurley and keeping No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff upright in the pocket.

"I really won’t allow myself to put any pressure on myself before I need to," Robinson said. "So it is a big role, I think the most important thing is just between now and September when we have to play is just prepare myself as best as possible and eliminate all the things I struggle with and try my best to provide the best protection possible for him."

A strong argument could be made that for the Rams to improve offensively in 2016, there's no more important player than Robinson. Sure, Goff is taking over the most important position and Gurley is the focal point of the system, but Robinson is vital in giving both of them an opportunity to maximize their success.

It's a notion that isn't lost on Robinson and has been apparent to the coaching staff.

“The entire offensive line has doubled in size here in the weight room," coach Jeff Fisher said. "They’re all bigger and stronger and quicker, so that’s a good thing. Greg is throwing around a lot more weight. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s sitting at the front of the classroom. He wants to prove something, and that’s a good thing for him.”

Another good thing for Robinson is that he's back to full strength after toe surgery. Its lingering effects slowed him considerably last offseason and into the regular season. Having a full offseason to work out puts Robinson ahead of where he was a year ago at this time, though that offseason work has brought on some mixed results.

On one hand, Robinson was able to use a chunk of that time focusing on refining his technique and fundamentals. He spent six weeks training with former NFL offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley in Arizona.

"It’s not super-aggressive workouts, it’s just mainly technical work," Robinson said. "He does a great job of it. Just in that small period of time where I was in Arizona, I felt like I made a lot of progress."

Assuming that technical work aligns with what Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has been working to teach Robinson, it should help him avoid some of the issues that threw him off balance and led to penalties in his first two seasons. Robinson drew 16 flags in 2015, with 13 of those infractions accepted for a whopping 114 yards. In two seasons in the league, Robinson has been flagged for 24 accepted penalties for 209 yards.

But Robinson and the Rams believe that he made substantial progress over the final quarter of the season. He was penalty-free in the final two games, and his pass protection improved as the Rams yielded just three sacks total in the final five games.

"I feel like throughout the year there was ups and downs but the last four games, I feel like I made really big strides and it [still] wasn’t my best and this year I really just want to focus on picking up where I left off," Robinson said. "Mentally and physically, I was working a lot smoother and just creating a lot of room on the back end. Just focusing on my technique work and just going and listening to Coach Bou, it really helped me out."

While Robinson spent most of his offseason focusing on fundamentals, he didn't exactly come back in top shape. He played last season between 316 and 321 pounds and though he wouldn't tip his hand on where he's at now, he did acknowledge that he has some work to do to get back into the 315- to 318-pound range by the start of the regular season in September.

"I came in a little heavy," Robinson said. "Right now, I’m just monitoring what exactly I put into my body. But as long as I feel good at my weight then I can prove to them that I’m capable of moving at whichever weight I’m in. I don’t think it’s a problem because I won’t allow myself to get sloppy."

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
I have a lot of confidence in him this year!

Another great post Coach, thanks!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Of all the players on this team he's definitely the most important in terms of how his play will affect the Rams' season. I'd even put him ahead of Goff because his play will also affect Keenum if Goff isn't ready to go early on. It's absolutely crucial that this guy get it together.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not worried even a bit!

alfred_e_neuman(2).jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As the former No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, Robinson has yet to live up to the lofty expectations that go with that status. After accumulating more holding penalties than any player in the league and struggling in pass protection for much of the 2015 season, Robinson has left outside observers unafraid to use the "B" -- as in bust -- word when describing him.
:redcard:By Outside observer, I take it, he means " Sports Reporters Like Himself"!!:fuelfire: We REALLY need a New Beat writer to replace Wagoner!!:giveup:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Greg Robinson working with LeCharles Bentley in Arizona

Apr 5, 2016
  • i

Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

Los Angeles Rams left tackle Greg Robinson had a difficult sophomore season as he continued his adjustment to protecting the edge at the NFL level. Robinson struggled with holding penalties and surrendering his share of sacks, especially in the first part of the season.

But the Rams believed that Robinson took some positive steps forward over the season's second half, enough to continue holding down the left tackle spot rather than kicking inside to guard.

"He’s learned a lot," general manager Les Snead said. "He got more consistent down the stretch this year than let’s call it the first eight games and like we were talking about, long story short he was a redshirt sophomore from a spread offense when he got there. Hey, playing at Auburn his junior year probably would have been good for him, maybe even his senior year. He had to learn the hard way in our league. Because he played out there on an island and he’s a left tackle we all see the moments where he’s not where you want him to be. But in that, there’s some moments where like ‘Holy cow, he just did that to Calais Campbell.’ When you see that you want to continue developing him and getting him to be a more consistent player."

To that end, the onus falls on Robinson himself even more than it does the Rams coaching staff. Which is why Robinson has been spending most of his offseason working to make himself better. Last year at this time, Robinson was recovering from a toe surgery that prevented him from having a full offseason to
prepare. With no such limitations this year, he's spending his offseason at "O-Line Performance," a training center in Scottsdale, Arizona, run by former NFL offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley.

The training center's website claims it is "the country's first training center designed solely around the needs of offensive linemen." That includes on-field and footwork drills as well as plenty of weight room work geared toward improving the skills needed to be a successful offensive lineman.

Bentley recently posted a video of Robinson going through a wide variety of activities, up to and including pushing a sports utility vehicle.

Clearly, Robinson an the Rams are hoping that the hard work will pay off and he'll be able to meet the expectations that accompanied him as the second overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft in his third NFL season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know...I was as high as anyone was about Robinson when we drafted him...I thought he had the physical talent to be a HOFer, but he doesn't seem to be that football smart and is making mistakes, constantly. I want him to have his chance this year to prove himself, but am tired of the whole potential thing without results. Maybe we need to train up Isaiha Battles for the job.....or next best guy.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Step 1: Draft a left tackle that is raw and didn't do a lot of pass blocking in college but has massive upside.

Step 2: Spend the next 2 seasons complaining about him being raw and taking time to adapt.

Poor bloke* couldn't win in his first two years but I'm confident that will change this coming season and the league will wake up to how beastly he really is.

*English slang word for "man"

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This is one of the reasons I could never understand taking an offensive lineman with a top 5 pick. Orlando Pace seems to be the only one that has fulfilled his potential. Jason Smith and Alex Barron were both complete failures and smith was also a number 2 overall pick. Rams are not the only team either, I see teams every year take a tackle with top 5 pick and I know its a very important position now days in the NFL but personally I never understood it. How much better could a top 5 tackle be than the guy getting picked in rounds 2-3 ? Sory for the rant but just something that others me every draft.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tackles coming out of college are the least ready to play in the NFL out of all the positions. Every NFL team knows that when they are going to need a LT, they are either going to have to pay huge $$ for a vet, if there is even one on the market worth signing ( see Jake Long), they are gong to have to draft one with their top pick in the draft and them coach him up for 3 years. LT takes a lot physiclly and mentally and the picking are slim. Rams are lucky they got GRob, he certainly has the desire to get better. He is showing progress, if he plays at least as good as his last five games of last year the OL will be good. I'm betting he will prove his worth this season.

GRob, had he stayed in college, would have been in this years draft. would he have been a better LT staying at Alabama? Probably the worst school in the NCAA to learn to be a LT. I'm surprised he's as far along as an NFL LT as he is.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm not ready to call him a bust, but I believe he would be better suited inside as a guard.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is one of the reasons I could never understand taking an offensive lineman with a top 5 pick. Orlando Pace seems to be the only one that has fulfilled his potential. Jason Smith and Alex Barron were both complete failures and smith was also a number 2 overall pick. Rams are not the only team either, I see teams every year take a tackle with top 5 pick and I know its a very important position now days in the NFL but personally I never understood it. How much better could a top 5 tackle be than the guy getting picked in rounds 2-3 ? Sory for the rant but just something that others me every draft.

Sorry but by your logic we should trade away every 1st round pick. After all you can get people at every position who are successful in later rounds. Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick yet people waste higher round picks on WRs.

I know that's not what you're implying but that's what you said, two firsts round OTs didn't pan out so why would we take another? That kind of logic is going to ruin a team.

FrankenRam

Starter
:redcard:By Outside observer, I take it, he means " Sports Reporters Like Himself"!!:fuelfire: We REALLY need a New Beat writer to replace Wagoner!!:giveup:

Anyone who isn't a part of the Rams organization is an outsider. And more than a few have indicated Robinson has lived a little closer to the 'bust' edge than the 'outstanding up & comer' edge......thus far. And they haven't all been sports reporters.

I don't understand your beef with Wagoner. This article was a pretty accurate statement of the facts....

- Robinson is a pretty major cog in the Rams' ability to improve offensively.
- He was a very high draft pick that came with mucho hype and expectations.
- He simply hasn't come close to living up to those expectations....thus far. Doesn't mean he never will. But thus far, he simply hasn't.

It isn't a sports reporter's job to be all Sunshine & Lollipops. That's for fans on online forums who can't stand to see anything other than S&L discussion of their team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have confidence he improves enough this year to stay off the critic's radar. Is he going to be a pro-bowler this year? I'd say more than likely not but he may improve because of the reasons given in the article. If he can improve his technique enough to not get beat so much which causes all the holding penalties, we may be presently surprised at what happens.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have confidence he improves enough this year to stay off the critic's radar. Is he going to be a pro-bowler this year? I'd say more than likely not but he may improve because of the reasons given in the article. If he can improve his technique enough to not get beat so much which causes all the holding penalties, we may be presently surprised at what happens.

Maybe pleasantly as well. :cautious:

TXRams86

The Infamous
Tackles coming out of college are the least ready to play in the NFL out of all the positions. Every NFL team knows that when they are going to need a LT, they are either going to have to pay huge $$ for a vet, if there is even one on the market worth signing ( see Jake Long), they are gong to have to draft one with their top pick in the draft and them coach him up for 3 years. LT takes a lot physiclly and mentally and the picking are slim. Rams are lucky they got GRob, he certainly has the desire to get better. He is showing progress, if he plays at least as good as his last five games of last year the OL will be good. I'm betting he will prove his worth this season.

GRob, had he stayed in college, would have been in this years draft. would he have been a better LT staying at Alabama? Probably the worst school in the NCAA to learn to be a LT. I'm surprised he's as far along as an NFL LT as he is.
GRob was drafted out of Auburn, not Alabama.

I definitely agree with you about how hard it is to be a LT in the NFL. While I don't know him personally, this is the first offseason we've heard of him wanting to better himself. The knock on him has never been his raw ability, but his unwillingness to put in the time to improve his craft and correct his shortcomings. The kid came in raw as hell so it's hard for us fans to expect immediate results; regardless of his draft status. Believe me, I've been critical of the kid as much as the next fan but I can't even fathom the learning curve GRob had in front of him since being drafted.

I really hope that the time he spent in AZ has helped him clean up some of his pass blocking issues. We need the guy to keep DE's away from Goff and open holes for Gurley to run through.

Go Rams!

TXRams86

The Infamous
Oh and I hope that extra weight he's carrying around is muscle mass and not a product of slacking off this offseason.
I'll hold judgment until we get some more information on that.
Things may get interesting during training camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I seem to remember the 2014 draft where Fisher & Snead had signed a ex all pro OLT Jake Long in 2013 free agency. As we all know Jake Long tore his ACL the first time his first season with the Rams (2013). We might want to also recall & take into consideration that Jake Long plan was to have him starting @ OLT post all the way through till the end of 2016 season. Jake started 15 games during the 2013 season until the injury took place in the next to the last game.

When Snead selected Robinson with the #2 overall pick he had no ideal that Jake Long was going to tear his ACL again. Jake's rehab had went perfect & sure enough as planned when the regular season began Jake started @ OLT.

The rookie Robinson played both left side posts in pre season 2014 OLT/OLG. The Rams had listed only 3 OG's on the roster officially Rodger Saffold/ (the ex Buc) Davin Joseph & Brandon Washington. Joseph & Saffold were the starters. The Rams did have 3 centers Scott Wells/Tim Barnes/Barrett Jones. The Rams had 4 OT's listed Long/ Barksdale/ Person/ Robinson. 10 total OL's.

When the Davin Joseph refurbishing experiment went bad, he was benched. Saffold was flipped to ORG & Robinson filled the vacant starting OLG post in game 5. I think it was a surprise to Paul Boudreau for Robinson to be the Rams starting OLT at the end of game 7 his rookie season after some really bad OL luck.

If the Davin Joseph plan has worked out I am sure that it would have been Rodger Saffold taking over Jake Long's post but he was busy doing all the heavy lifting in the interior of the OL. It should be mentioned here that there was extremely poor play ongoing @ center by Scott Wells. After the Jake Long injury Davin Joseph return to start @ ORG & Saffold flipped back to OLG to help out Robinson who was now the starting OLT during his rookie season.

Again.... I do not think for the moment that the Ram Org. has any plans for Robinson to ever get close to the starting OLT post when the plans were put in place. Three events tool place to put Robinson at the helm of OLT post. The freak near death illness in the summer with center Scott Wells, the blown out for the 2nd straight year in a row of Jake Long's ACL & the total breakdown of Davin Joseph at ORG.

If things had gone right for Boudreau....Robinson would have just concluded his second season (2014/2015) as the Rams starting OLG & Jake Long would be entering his final season under contract as the starting OLT.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Gosh, not a 'drive by' post.
Thank you @bonifay.

While we're on the (my) subject, Wagoner is a perfect example of why ESPN sucks, and will continue to, imo.

He has not had an original thought in his life, and never will. Maybe when the Rams start kicking ass, we'll get a real reporter.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
BTW, does he by any chance live in Missouri?