Rams, Browns lead worst-to-first candidates for 2015 NFL season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Going from worst to first in the NFL is tough.

Parity might rule the day, but even teams with high draft picks and plenty of salary-cap space face slim odds when it comes to mounting complete turnarounds in one offseason. The success rate of 2013's last-place teams -- none made the playoffs, and five finished in last place again in 2014 -- bears that out.

Of course, while this season's last-place teams have a tough road ahead, each features some element that provides reason for optimism. Below is my take on 2014's cellar dwellers, ranked according to their chances of pulling off the elusive worst-to-first trick in 2015.

1) St. Louis Rams
Seeds of hope: Jeff Fisher leads a very good coaching staff. The Rams have drafted well lately, adding youth and talent at key positions.Greg Robinson (No. 2 overall in 2014) boosted the offensive line after stepping in at left tackle, and 13th overall pick Aaron Donald (nine sacks, two forced fumbles) played at a Rookie of the Year level at defensive tackle. Donald joined a defense led by end Robert Quinn that -- with fellow end Chris Long missing a big chunk of the year due to an ankle injury -- started slowly before finishing strong, racking up 40 sacks after notching just one through five games.

Seeds of doubt: Sam Bradford is the key. He must stay healthy at quarterback, or the Ramshave to add someone who can carry them at the position. When Bradford is right, he's very good, a great football player and athlete who can throw a perfect spiral and boasts great recognition skills. But he's posted just two 16-game seasons since St. Louis took him with the first overall pick in 2010, missing all of 2014 with a torn ACL in his left knee after missing much of 2013 with an ACL tear in the same knee. St. Louis has built up to the point where it can compete -- but it must get strong quarterback play from someone.

Divisional outlook: The NFC West is as stacked as ever, boasting the second-best winning percentage (.583) in the NFL. Still, the Ramsproved to be a tough out, beating the Seahawksand 49ers.

He goes on breaking down other teams too, in the below link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...d-worsttofirst-candidates-for-2015-nfl-season

jap

Legend
They went from worst to first from 1998 to 1999. They were not the worst in 2014. A healthy Sam, a solid OL, and minimal injuries to key positions, and they are playoff-bound.

A55VA6

Legend
I'll believe it when I see it. I always get too high on the Rams after FA and the draft only to be let down. If we even want to have a winning record, we need our starting QB - not some old backup.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I raised an eyebrow at this..........

When Bradford is right, he's very good, a great football player and athlete who can throw a perfect spiral and boasts great recognition skills.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Sam is healthy; we have a legit QB and a threat to go deep in the playoffs.

But that's the rub we all struggle with. Sam deserves some good fortune but I'm finding a solid plan 1b . Our window is now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really like Sam Bradford. And I believe that he is a good QB.
But it sorta seems that me that he may have gotten better all the sudden without even playing.:whistle:

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But it sorta seems that me that he may have gotten better all the sudden without playing.:whistle:

I guess it depends on where you look for improvement at this position.

Thru the draft; we have few options.

Thru FA; the league is littered with teams finding a solution there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But it sorta seems that me that he may have gotten better all the sudden without playing.:whistle:

His accuracy and some other traits turn into fish tales when he is on the sideline in street clothes.

Word.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not better, just more appreciated after seeing back ups and back ups to back ups behind center for the last 23 games.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heard this last year, not getting my hopes up at all

Well duh!!!

It's a better situation than last year because the youth already know what to do but it boils down to our QB situation. Clearly our our QB was in shamples ever since CLE of preseason.

But if we get a legit QB to back up Sam, we could win it all even if Sam does go down. Our defense is that good.

16 games with Hill and Davis was painful, very painful.

But as of now, it does boil down to Bradford just like last year because no moves have been made.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The overall play of Davis and Hill makes you see Bradford in a much better light.

But, is that light bright enough to get the Rams over the hump?

I just don't know.

But, as I write this post, the other options are a complete unknown:
* Rookie? Don't like that.
* Free agent? I'm not seeing anything better than Bradford.
* Trade?

Who knows... it will be interesting to see how the Rams address QB in the off-season.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The spiral part yeah, but I don't think he's been "great" and his "recognition skills" aren't something I've ever heard anyone boast about.
well, depends on what you are referring to when you reference "recognition skills". For me, it means he "recognizes" when NOT to force throws into coverage, limiting the crucial turnovers that were so prevalent this year without him.

He gets crucified for the "checkdown" mentality, but if this year isn't a glaring example of how important it is to protect the ball, and NOT force throws, nothing will. I think Bradford is taken for granted in this area. But IMO, it might be one of his biggest strengths.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
well, depends on what you are referring to when you reference "recognition skills". For me, it means he "recognizes" when NOT to force throws into coverage, limiting the crucial turnovers that were so prevalent this year without him.

He gets crucified for the "checkdown" mentality, but if this year isn't a glaring example of how important it is to protect the ball, and NOT force throws, nothing will. I think Bradford is taken for granted in this area. But IMO, might be one of his biggest strengths.

If bradford had gotten the chance to play with Quick and Britt on the outside I don't think we would have saw as many check downs this year. I'd give my left nut to see what this team could have done in 2014 with a healthy Bradford all year. I think we would still have a lot of football left to be played.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If bradford had gotten the chance to play with Quick and Britt on the outside I don't think we would have saw as many check downs this year. I'd give my left nut to see what this team could have done in 2014 with a healthy Bradford all year. I think we would still have a lot of football left to be played.
I agree with that completely, but that being said, I also don't think we would have seen 6 "Pick 6" INTs from him either. He just doesn't force the ball unless and until he has to. (4th quarter when behind)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He gets crucified for the "checkdown" mentality, but if this year isn't a glaring example of how important it is to protect the ball, and NOT force throws, nothing will. I think Bradford is taken for granted in this area. But IMO, might be one of his biggest strengths.

I took it as meaning he knows how to read a defense, and he has been criticized for that.

As far as the INT's versus the checking down, Bradford's last full 16 game season he threw 13 INT's, this year Hill/Davis threw 16. That's a really small difference. You can point to the fumbles but a strip sack isn't something someone "recognizes" IMO. Also Hill/Davis threw 20 TD's this year versus Bradford's career best full season of 21.

In an age where we are seeing YPA increase annually Bradford's is still underwhelming. As a point of reference Hill/Davis averaged a full yard over Bradford's career average and half a yard higher than he ever did. So the check down label does have some validity.