Rams asked permission to interview Pat Shurmur for OC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If Fisher is seriously considering bringing back Pat Shurmer and the Prevent Offense, then it's freaking hopeless as long as he's here. And it will be worthless to draft a QB, because all the QB will be coached to do is throw short, safe little passes, to never push the ball down the field, never risk an INT, and to be happy with a 6.0 YPA.

Good gawd, the NFL can be stupid sometimes. Guys like Pat Shurmer and Brian Schottenhemier keep getting jobs based almost solely on their last name. Yet everywhere they go, they get the same results, and their defenders make the same excuses for them no matter what the situation. At the end of the day, maybe people should consider the possibility that they didn't get good results because they are just not that good in the first place.

This really bums me out that Fisher would even consider a dog-sh!t OC like Shurmer, he really must not like scoring points or winning, or he has no clue as to what it takes to do so. Or no balls to hire an OC that could get the Rams to do it an a consistent basis.

SMFH.

:mad:

Ram65

Legend
Bradford is coming back.
1378684026000-USP-NFL-Arizona-Cardinals-at-St-Louis-Rams.jpg

All of sudden the thought of Shurmur and Bradford kind of excites me.

Seriously you take the offense that was under Shurmur and Bradford in 2010 combined this defense and special teams if they are able to keep everyone and maybe upgrade at kicker (consistency) and IMO you have playoffs in LA, LA land.

Love SJ39 but TGII is so explosive. You're a great Rams historian

I just googled this:

st louis rams roster 2010

Seeing the names and pictures might make some Ram fans sick to their stomach. I agree with your statement about the playoffs with Shurmur and Bradford. The potential 2016 Rams roster is so much better then the 2010 Rams roster.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
1st, Nobody has been hired to be our new OC.

I like the way Fish is interviewing multiple guys. You can learn from interviewing different coaches from other teams. No reason to be in a hurry. The interview process is not always about making a hire... sometimes you're using the interview to gain 411 on the enemy.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yep. Somebody has their history right. Rams chose Schotty over Hue. What a colossally poor decision that was. And if they choose Shurmur (or Boras) over DeFilippo, it will be another colossally poor decision.

His worst decision since he came to the Rams, and this is reason #1 why they haven't made the playoffs in his tenure.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Shurmer got better than average production out of a rookie QB, no WRs, no offensive line and a pro-bowl running back when he was here. I think he's better than what we have, for sure. And I like his shot of working with a 1st round pick better than anyone else aside from the Browns guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I like the way Fish is interviewing multiple guys. You can learn from interviewing different coaches from other teams. No reason to be in a hurry. The interview process is not always about making a hire... sometimes you're using the interview to gain 411 on the enemy.

I do think there is a reason to be in a hurry. I don't mind Fish interviewing different candidates, in fact it's a good idea. But interviews aside some candidates are simply better than others. I don't care how well a guy with a track record like Schotty interviews, there is no way I hire him. Same deal with Shurmur.

Van Pelt? Sure. At least there's a chance he's gonna be a good OC. DeFillipo? Yes. It was his show in Cleveland under a defensive head coach, and the dude is a noted talent as a coach from the first coach he worked for.

Fish has one season. And at this point it's a damn good thing tbh. Because if he ends up going with Shurmur we will only have to endure a short stretch of bad offense.

jap

Legend
If the Horns are seriously entertaining the idea of bringing back Shurmur and Bradford with Sam's injury history, they will need a backup who is genuinely capable of being a bona fide starter. Fish cannot afford to give up on a season to still another Bradford season ending injury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always thought he did a good job for us and was hoping this might happen.
A serious question: why are some of you guys out on Shurmur?

Shurmur's offense with the Rams was like Molasses. He invented 'Captain Checkdown'. His offense while with the Rams was beyond conservative. Many of us were hoping that Fisher had finally realized that it was time to enter the modern era of NFL offenses and get an OC that knew how to create a 'good' passing attack, in Defelipo. Instead it looks like he is just going back into his 1980s form of offensive predictability with a move like this. Run, run, run, short pass. Fisher is exasperating.

If Fisher is looking for a free agent QB, Bradford may be the best one available at this time. But man I hate to see him come back. If the Rams hire Shurmur, it really seems likely that Sam is their target. It would be like a time warp back to 2010. It feels like we wont ever have a real passing attack.

If this actually happens, I hope Shurmur learned something from Chip Kelly and he doesn't bring his 2010 Turtle offense to this team again.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was for this season. He had his best season yet, except for the turnovers.

My apologies to @Riverumbbq. I just realised you were talking about this season all along. It didn't click to me that shurmur was his oc this season. I just imagined it was chip kelly in charge.

I was thinking about shurmur under an ultra defensive hc, like spags. Because let's face it Fisher and spags are the anti chip kelly.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Yep. Somebody has their history right. Rams chose Schotty over Hue. What a colossally poor decision that was. And if they choose Shurmur (or Boras) over DeFilippo, it will be another colossally poor decision.

Cmon we don't know what was talked about in that meeting. And we don't know if DeFilippo was even offered a job after they talked.

Jerry@32 Hue was not then or now a philosophy fit with Fisher and is the same reason why he will not go up to get Goff. And by the way that offense was no where as bad as this year's Rams.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that's why Jeff Fisher should not be head coach of this team. Jeff Fisher is not an offensive mind. He has no business passing on better OCs because their philosophy doesn't fit his. His offensive philosophy should be to hire the best damn OC in the business.

The 2010 offense? It averaged 18.1 PPG to the Rams 17.5 PPG this year. That was with a ridiculously easy schedule. That offense still sucked.

Again they talked, maybe it wasn't a fit! Shurmur is a good coach and won't be the next hot thing aka meaning "Consistency" & "long term" is good where I come from...... Just saying'

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Totally agree here, lets meet some people and see what will work

Seinfeld click was outstanding ROTFLMAO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why in the H.ell did we fire Frank Cignetti, so that we could hire Shurmer?
c'mon Fish..:hellno::gtfo: