Rams 'actively' trying to re-sign WR Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sonny Jurgensen had a gut, Billy Kilmer had a gut... that's when guys like us could play in the NFL.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
We won’t get a comp pick if we lose Sammy and sign some of the FA guys we talked about. It’s a balance of who we lose vs. who we sign. Losing Sammy does not automatically get us a third round comp pick next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We won’t get a comp pick if we lose Sammy and sign some of the FA guys we talked about. It’s a balance of who we lose vs. who we sign. Losing Sammy does not automatically get us a third round comp pick next year.

Losing both Sammy and Tru likely does. Plus, if we sign Suh, who was cut, it doesn't count against us in the formula.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I’m really on the fence regarding Watkins, I see earlier in this thread how he’s such a demon over the middle, which yes, occasionally he was, but I also saw him pull up several times unwilling to make the play, I’m just curious how this sits with McSnead, if they really want him back (and I sorta hope they do) then they’ll get it done, barring some other mystery team offering out a ridiculous 40/50 mill contract

nighttrain

Legend
I’m really on the fence regarding Watkins, I see earlier in this thread how he’s such a demon over the middle, which yes, occasionally he was, but I also saw him pull up several times unwilling to make the play, I’m just curious how this sits with McSnead, if they really want him back (and I sorta hope they do) then they’ll get it done, barring some other mystery team offering out a ridiculous 40/50 mill contract
false statement, Watkins did indeed pull up once on a route, McVay talked to hims and OK after that
train

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I don't expect a big outside signing. So even if they sign a couple mid-range guys it should not effect their comp picks because they will likely lose a few other guys like Davis or NRC etc...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still say that fat contracts hamstringing teams is an overblown concept....similar to the concept that teams who trade multiple picks to move way up in the draft for a bad player wind up crippled on draft day for years after.

Pay Donald. Pay Watkins. Return all 11 starters to the #1 offense in the league. The Rams won't be "hamstrung" if they do this. It doesn't happen. We overpayed Tavon. It didn't kill us. Money gets moved around. Players get moved around. Teams find a way.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
false statement, Watkins did indeed pull up once on a route, McVay talked to hims and OK after that
train
He gave less than optimum effort of way more than one route. Most of the games I watch were later in the year and definitely there were a couple where the ball went his way but he definitely wasn't trying to get it. But hey, that doesn't count as a drop does it?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I asked this the other day but couldn't the Rams trade Austin and a pick and I'd be willing to go as high as a 4th rounder to a team with cap space like the Browns or a team that could use him and a the pick. The pick being the real prize here like an osweiller type deal? We get back a 7th ....Austins money would go a long way in helping to keep Watkins that's for sure and no 4th rounder will be as good as Sammy more than likely. God I hate this waiting here's to hoping no news is good news!!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I still say that fat contracts hamstringing teams is an overblown concept....similar to the concept that teams who trade multiple picks to move way up in the draft for a bad player wind up crippled on draft day for years after.

Pay Donald. Pay Watkins. Return all 11 starters to the #1 offense in the league. The Rams won't be "hamstrung" if they do this. It doesn't happen. We overpayed Tavon. It didn't kill us. Money gets moved around. Players get moved around. Teams find a way.

I would argue that that's the exact reason that Seattle couldn't field an offensive line, running back or decent receiver core these last few years. And honestly, without the incredible performance of an athletic QB like Wilson who makes more plays "off-time" than "on-time" - I don't think they even make Superbowl XLIX.

We will pay Donald, we'll pay Joyner, and Gurley and Goff. Can everyone have fat contracts?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sammy Watkins - WR - Free Agent
The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs reports free agent Sammy Watkins is the Bears' "top target."

Biggs reports the Bears are also interested in Allen Robinson, but the team views Watkins a safer bet since he's 100 percent healthy and not coming off a serious injury. Both receivers were linked to multiple teams on Monday, including Watkins with the Bears, Packers, Chiefs, and Jaguars. The Rams are also said to want to keep Watkins, but his market could get out of hand.
Related: Bears

Source: Chicago Tribune
Mar 12 - 11:16 PM

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would argue that that's the exact reason that Seattle couldn't field an offensive line, running back or decent receiver core these last few years
Sure but they were still a damn good team and have been for 6+ years winning divisional titles, playoff games, going to Super Bowls etc. Time, bad drafts, age and yes....dollars and sense caught up to them but hell I'll take that.

If the logic is that we're afraid to hamstring our cap in order to "get good" then i don't buy into that. I realize thats not exactly what you're saying here. I just feel like it's a somewhat overblown fear that you have to be afraid of the cap strangling your team these days because you're paying to keep core talent like Donald, Goff, Gurley and Watkins.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
Screenshot_20180313-012113.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy Watkins will be signed by the KC Chiefs, according to Ian Rapoport 3yr/$16M contract

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There goes our 2nd rounder, right down the toilet.