Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
You cannot defend the defense by saying the offense could have done better.
The defense could and should have played better.
The final drive from the Buccaneers should never have happened.

Yes the offense blowed. But if the Offense scored 40 points a game, the defense would have been good enough.
But we don't have a high powered offense, so the defensive philosophy has to work with the offense you have.
Allowing teams to drive down the field only to try and hold them in the Redzone, is a scheme that doesn't work with an offense that can barely muster a drive. You need a defense that can get the offense the ball back, cause a turnover etc to give them a better chance.
That's the issue. Concept, idea, not jelling with reality.

And yes we have the personnel to play that scheme. What he have is a coach in love with the soft zone.
That's my issue. It has been seen he can play a more aggressive style with the personnel he has on the team and be successful.
But he is in love with his play style.

Just Google "raheem morris soft zone"

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What's amazing is the short memories fans have.
The complaint this year and last (despite winning the freaking SB) was "We allow too many long time consuming drives!!!!"

In 2020, we trailed Buffalo 28-3 and came back, scoring with 4:38 left in the game. What happens? Our D allows an 11 play 80 yard 4:15 drive for a TD to lose with 15 seconds remaining.
Against SF (week 6) after we tied it at 7, our defense allows a 10 play, 93 yard, 6:08 drive for a TD. Then on the next possession, a 13 play, 81 yard, 7:16 drive for a TD.
Against SF (week 12) our D allowed three 10 play drives that fortunately ended in FGs. But they ate up over 12 minutes of clock.
3 weeks later against the 0-13 Jets, we allowed an opening drive of 13 plays, 74 yards, 7:12 for a TD. Then to start the 2nd half, an 11 play, 72 yd TD drive that took 6:30 off the clock. Followed by a 10 play, 72 yd FG drive that took 4:30 off the clock. That was the #1 defense in the NFL, in week 13 against the 0-13 Jets!!!
The following week, at the half tied at 6, our #1 D allowed a 70 yard drive for a TD (4:28) and an 80 yard TD drive (4:29)

We recovered to beat Arizona with Wolford at QB and Seattle in the WC game, thanks to Wolford going down early but were exposed again vs Green Bay.

Their first 5 drives?
12 plays, 63 yards, 4:46 - FG
14 plays, 69 yards, 7:59 - TD
9 plays, 57 yards, 5:46 - TD
5 plays, 54 yards, 0:29 - FG
6 plays, 75 yards, 2:50 - TD

and then we threw in one more in the 4th quarter.....5 plays, 73 yards, 2:54 for a TD

The complaint back then was "those long time consuming drives we allow" except Goff and the offense got blamed for them. So I guess it's a reversal of fortune. Our offense sucks but Morris and the D get blamed for the 5-12 season!?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Said it then and I"ll say it again, as bad as the offense was that day it scored enough points to win the game. And the defense, as shitty a thing as it was to ask them for one more stop, allowed Brady to go the distance in barely more than 30 secs for the win.
That's a fact. 13 should be enough to win with a good defense. Even if you have 3 and outs on 66% of your possessions. We had the lead and lost in the closing seconds. Yeah that's on the D.
I don't know what that means but I'd bet I'd like Kupped. :biggrin:
You cannot defend the defense by saying the offense could have done better.
The defense could and should have played better.
The final drive from the Buccaneers should never have happened.

Yes the offense blowed. But if the Offense scored 40 points a game, the defense would have been good enough.
But we don't have a high powered offense, so the defensive philosophy has to work with the offense you have.
Allowing teams to drive down the field only to try and hold them in the Redzone, is a scheme that doesn't work with an offense that can barely muster a drive. You need a defense that can get the offense the ball back, cause a turnover etc to give them a better chance.
That's the issue. Concept, idea, not jelling with reality.

And yes we have the personnel to play that scheme. What he have is a coach in love with the soft zone.
That's my issue. It has been seen he can play a more aggressive style with the personnel he has on the team and be successful.
But he is in love with his play style.

Just Google "raheem morris soft zone"
Actually if the offense could have scored at least 21 points a game, we would have been 9-8.

But I get it. We won the Superbowl with a defense that allowed 35 TDs and 30 FGs, then we went 5-12 with a defense that allowed 35 TDs and 36 FGs, so it's clear.......what was different about this season was the defense! Yup that's it. Fire Morris! Get a good DC in here , run out the same offense next year, and we'll be toasting to the Lombardi!!!!

Tano

Legend
The complaint back then was "those long time consuming drives we allow" except Goff and the offense got blamed for them. So I guess it's a reversal of fortune. Our offense sucks but Morris and the D get blamed for the 5-12 season!?
I don't think one of us is blaming the defense for the 5 - 12 season

The offense is almost entirely to blame.

However, it is a team game and we believe if the defense had played more aggressively, maybe just maybe, we would have had a chance at the end of the season to go to the playoffs (probably not) but as it was I gave up after we lost 6 games in a row and became 3 9 with .0000001 chance at getting to the playoffs.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't think one of us is blaming the defense for the 5 - 12 season

The offense is almost entirely to blame.

However, it is a team game and we believe if the defense had played more aggressively, maybe just maybe, we would have had a chance at the end of the season to go to the playoffs (probably not) but as it was I gave up after we lost 6 games in a row and became 3 9 with .0000001 chance at getting to the playoffs.
Yup, if the defense stops Brady we're 6-11 and if they somehow manage to stop Seattle and the zebras, we're 7-10. PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!!

Hell that wouldn't have even won the NFC South!!!!:wow2:

Tano

Legend
Yes that Tampa game is a great example!!

In the first half, we had 6 possessions. On our third possession we scored a TD on a 8 play, 86 yard drive. The other 5 possessions? Four 3 and outs gaining 10 yards total and a 6 play 'drive' that gained 5 yards. What was our defense and ST doing at the time? 6 possessions against, three 3 and outs, two field goals and a blocked FG. Despite our offense's pitiful first half performance we led 7-6 at the half.

So what happens after the halftime break? Well McVay got into their asses and they came out firing. 6 possessions, four 3 and outs and 2 FGs. We got to the Tampa 8 before settling for a FG and the other FG came as a result of our D stopping Tampa on a 4th down try at their 47 and our offense stringing together 6 plays to get to the Tampa 16.

Had our lousy offense managed to score a 2nd TD instead of a FG in those other 9 possessions after our first TD, Tommy could have taken them down for 7 just to tie!!!

Yeah, I can see how it comes down to a FG because of our D but our offense shat the bed, the loveseat, the couch and the lazy boy over and over and over. We had the ball 12 times (not counting the possession before the half with 0:24 left or the one at the end of the game with 0:09 remaining) and we went 3 and out 8 freaking times!!! Other than the 86 yard TD in the 2nd quarter, we had 11 possessions, ran 47 plays and gained a whopping 109 yards!!! Thank god the defense gave us the ball at their 47 or we would have only scored 10 points all day!!!!

What actually being asked of the defense is, stop the other team and score some points because if we have to rely on just our offense to put points up, we're gonna be 5-12!!!! :biggrin: They scored 8 less offensive TDs (in 17 games) than the offense, who got blamed for our 2020 failures with a #1 D!!!

It's always something!
But when I saw our offense give the ball back to TB, I knew with the way Morris defense plays with a lead at the end of the game we were going to lose.

That was the last straw with me and Morris defense

Tano

Legend
Yup, if the defense stops Brady we're 6-11 and if they somehow manage to stop Seattle and the zebras, we're 7-10. PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!!

Hell that wouldn't have even won the NFC South!!!!:wow2:
I think we could have beaten Arizona and New Orleans too if we played more aggressively.

Don't say no way. Those two teams shit the bed against everybody else

So possibly 9-8 and that might have gotten us into the playoffs.

And even GB was playing terribly up to that point. But Morris gave Rodgers free reign at the soft zone and Rodgers used it to his advantage.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's a team game, yes.

Our offense had 4769 yards (#32), 293 first downs (#27), 31 TDs (#27) and 28 FGs (#16)

The lowest we've had before this year, under McVay

5784 yards (#10 in 2017)......over 1,000 yards less offense this year
311 first downs (#15 in 2017)......
39 TDS (#19 in 2020).......how many more wins would 8 more TDs got us?
24 FGs (#20 in 2019, #20 in 2020)

We have to go back to Fisher ball to see those type of offensive numbers and the best we ever did with him was 7-9.

Yeah, I get the angst towards Morris. Who wouldn't love a pressure D that takes the ball away a lot? I would love that. But to hang Morris out as the culprit for 2022 is scapegoating at it's finest. Hell with the 2019 offense we would have probably won 10 games. And the same complaints were made about Staley during the 2020 season. Long, time consuming drives have to stop. The difference was Staley may have had better numbers but that problem reared it's ugly head in the postseason. But somehow, last year, it didn't. Go figure.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Just hoping to see " Colts hire Morris for open Head Coaching role"

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
That's a fact. 13 should be enough to win with a good defense. Even if you have 3 and outs on 66% of your possessions. We had the lead and lost in the closing seconds. Yeah that's on the D.

I don't know what that means but I'd bet I'd like Kupped. :biggrin:

Actually if the offense could have scored at least 21 points a game, we would have been 9-8.

But I get it. We won the Superbowl with a defense that allowed 35 TDs and 30 FGs, then we went 5-12 with a defense that allowed 35 TDs and 36 FGs, so it's clear.......what was different about this season was the defense! Yup that's it. Fire Morris! Get a good DC in here , run out the same offense next year, and we'll be toasting to the Lombardi!!!!

In any given game--when the defense holds your opponent to 9 through 59 minutes--13 pts can be enough to get the win.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

In any given game--when the defense holds your opponent to 9 through 59 minutes--13 pts can be enough to get the win.
Absolutely.

And many times, when you've held the opponent to 9 points through the first 59 minutes, you have more than a 4 point lead!

But I'll concede. Morris and his D were a huge problem for the Rams in 2022. We coulda been 7-10 or even 8-9 with a good D. We would have been happy as a pig in shit then, right?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Absolutely.

And many times, when you've held the opponent to 9 points through the first 59 minutes, you have more than a 4 point lead!

But I'll concede. Morris and his D were a huge problem for the Rams in 2022. We coulda been 7-10 or even 8-9 with a good D. We would have been happy as a pig in shit then, right?
Could have been way better than that.
SF x2 DAL TB AZ NO SEA x2 GB I think we could have won
Even if we don't include SF
That's a 12-5 record... again no all on the defense, but the defense concedes win against SF TB GB due to play calling for sure

But arguing what could have been is pointless...

What is worth arguing is that Raheem Morris likes the soft zone D.
And if he continues to call that scheme, will it hurt the Rams vs calling a different style?

We've seen the Rams D a bit of both.
From what I see the Bend Don't Break style, isn't a game winning philosophy.
It isn't as effective preventing the big play as it's supposed to be. It allows offenses to grind yardage, demoralizing emotionally.
And it doesn't play to win, it's playing not to lose. Not a style for a tied or playing from behind. Better suited when you're up by several scores. It's a prevent defense.

The Rams have Aaron Donald. He statistically can break his block and be on the QB in under 3 seconds. But the play off CBs allow the QB to throw in less than 2.5 seconds cause they are so open. You are eliminating the usefulness of your best player. Negating the his impact. If you played more press man to man, he can get to the QB, or hurry him.

Don't let me get in on the bad tackling. The Playing off required the DBs to react and come up and make a tackle. Too many times we see them miss and the WR or RB breaks a tackle or two and gets the first down. Again scheme/training/personnel not matching to game plan. Something has to adjust and we never saw that.

Playing personnel out of position, that's on the coach. Playing slow CBs in man to man, not playing better players. That's on the coach.
That's what I see. A bad Coach. Bad decisions. He's more suited to HC than DC. That's his talent. Not calling a defense.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I like Raheem. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed with the Rams for another year but if he gets a HC job it wouldnt hurt my feelings either.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will be surprised if McVay keeps Morris this year. Only because the guy turns over assistant coaches more than any other coach I've ever seen. I was shocked when he let Wade Philips go after his contract ended. And how many people would take Wade over Raheem? I know I would. That's why I don't think Morris returns.
I don't know, my man. Wade seemed like training wheels for a rookie HC that may have been foisted on him to secure the job in LA. Raheem was a friend and may be enacting the defense that Sean wants, as much as we as fans hate it. Unless He gets hired away for a HC position, I think Morris is here next year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I will be surprised if McVay keeps Morris this year. Only because the guy turns over assistant coaches more than any other coach I've ever seen. I was shocked when he let Wade Philips go after his contract ended. And how many people would take Wade over Raheem? I know I would. That's why I don't think Morris returns.
I would have thought (even expected) that if McVay wanted to make a change, he would have already done it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we could have beaten Arizona and New Orleans too if we played more aggressively.

Don't say no way. Those two teams shit the bed against everybody else

So possibly 9-8 and that might have gotten us into the playoffs.

And even GB was playing terribly up to that point. But Morris gave Rodgers free reign at the soft zone and Rodgers used it to his advantage.

-JOKE!!!

I’ll give you the rams lossing to Tampa hurt.Brady would have eliminated as well.
Blaming Raheem Morris is total BS!! We’ll what happens with the Assistant coaches.
the Rams had a chance to make the playoffs,but reality is the season worked out well for rhe Rams at the end of the day.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Glad to see you finally agree. The Defense took the field with less than a minute remaining and allowed Tampa to go downfield basically at will (giving up the sideline AND middle both; how, I have no idea) for the winning TD.

How anyone can argue that isn't the Defense pissing their pants I just don't get...