Quick check-in on the WR depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm like I ng what I'm hearing about Kupp but I still don't think he will be a legit #1.... He will probably be a real good #2... Our #1 probably isn't even on the team....

I just don't really see a Mcvay offense having that true #1 guy.

Goff is going to be like our 'point guard' and distribute the ball to our playmakers. Mcvay has said it over and over again.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I'm pretty sure it doesn't make sense to offload Tavon financially. But that was what was said about G.Robinson. So it is a possibility. But if I was McVay and I had a healthy TA I'd rather gamplane with him than without. He is a legitimate TD threat every time he touches the ball. See that clip from the Colts above.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
@Snaz

If TA could be a consistent threat like that clip. We should be fine. I really hope he can perform.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Looks like McVay has let the cat out of the bag wrt Thomas. Seems to me he's got a roster spot when he returns. Assuming we keep 6 and with my own take for which spots they are best served:

Guaranteed roster spots
1. Woods. Y>Z. Not ideal at X (speed) but experienced and can do it if needed.
2. Kupp. Y>Z. Could probably play X but not ideal (speed).
3. Austin. Z>X. With his speed they need him outside, Z can be schemed for release from LOS.
4. Thomas. X>Z. May end up being their best option at X tbh.

Fighting for two roster spots
1. Reynolds. X. 4th round pick for this regime so probably gets one of the roster spots.
2. Cooper. Y. 4th round pick a year ago, been very visible with first team in Austin's absence.
3. Spruce. Y. Fan favorite and UDFA who looks like he's facing a cut by week 5 at the latest.
4. McRoberts. Y. Been doing some good things here and there by some accounts.
5. Ryan. Y. Caught a real nice fade in practice the other day, I think Rams really like him.

Looking at the above it's no wonder Marquez was waived. Good to let him have opportunity with another team as a special teams swiss army knife. Those last two cuts are gonna be tough.

Weakness of this WR corps still resides at X. Austin probably gets owned on the LOS by a top CB still. Thomas is suspended four games and has yet to show what the staff saw in OTAs (although he looked real good in routes on side of field in practice). And Reynolds is a rookie. Woods, thus, probably eats the most snaps there, which is not ideal. So I'm hoping for a hail mary with Thomas developing.
Great post @Merlin This is not a criticism, but I saw your title 'Quick' and 'WR depth' in the same sentence and got a brief twitch, and mild nausea. Thanks a lot, bro.

As far as the competition, I'm pretty much on the same page. Between McVay and Lefleur I don't think they are going to suffer fools well.

The Hard Knocks golf cart incident alone may have been the undoing of Huey and Duey. Marquez is not special, and I don't know if these guys are done adding competition.

• If we look at wide receiver as not just 'top 6' but ALL Protected Candidates, I think the list is a bit different, with a 2-3 year vision. -
  • Are guys like Woods and Tavon one year place holders, depending on how they do this year?
  • Are there already 8-9 guys targeted for protection, mindful of inevitable injuries at a physical position, and probably 2 practice squad slots for some of the late picks and intriguing FA projects?
  • Unless someone emerges this year (Thomas, Reynolds, Tavon) as a reliable deep route option, a high draft pick will probably be used next year to complete Mcvay's vision of a potent offense.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Mcvay likes him and keeps saying we can't wait until he gets back he's a lockbbuddy

we'll see..liking him in mini camp is different than watching him play. Thomas needed some encouragement after last season too so it's good McVay is giving him a chance..

but he needs to catch the ball and make plays this preseason to ensure that he'll get a chance after his suspension.

WestCoastRam

Legend
McVay wants a deep threat for his offense. McVay needs a deep threat for his offense (one could argue that not having one might expose him and his "enfant-genius" bonafides).

Maybe Thomas can be that guy, we won't know till later in the season and we ain't going into the season without a guy who can threaten a go or post route on the outside. Reynolds will be lucky if he sees the field this year (and we'll be unlucky if he has to).

Tavon is still the last, best hope for a deep threat we have right now.

He ain't going anywhere.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay wants a deep threat for his offense. McVay needs a deep threat for his offense (one could argue that not having one might expose him and his "enfant-genius" bonafides).

One thing I'll note is that even if he doesn't find that deep threat (which is without a doubt the Rams' weakness at wideout) this offense can still function quite well.

They're going to force mismatches over the middle, first off. They have better hands at TE, and Kupp is going to be a terror on slants and crossing routes plus he brings good size as well. Defenses will need to defend the entire field against this offense.

Intermediate routes will be greatly improved too. These are probably the most underrated aspect of a great passing offense IMO, and where I expect the Rams to seriously threaten other teams there.

Lastly Gurley is a rare element, a guy who can flip field position from the backfield. So IMO even if they don't find that deep threat we still can expect offensive improvement. We won't be a top offense, but we'll be solid or at least that is my hope.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Safeties will also have to be held accountable for Higbee, Everett, and Hemingway running down the seam.

Not too mention Gurley, Brown, Dunbar, etc. out of the backfield. I've seen quite a few shots of RB's being split out wide. Doing things like that can really dictate coverage. It can make the read easy for the offense and QB and make it hard to cover for the Defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas doesn't count against the final 53 so we know that
Austin
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Are locks (I-word aside)
So the question is how many WR are on final roster? 6?
That would leave 2 spots for Cooper, Spruce, McRoberts, Germany, Justin Thomas, Shippen, Shakir Ryan ad KD Cannon to fight for.
I get that Spruce doesnt have the speed but McVay seems like he'll go with best player over best "fit", so it seems to me that Spruce has every bit as much chance as anyone.