Question: Why would a top drawer FA NOT want to extend with the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
All things being relatively equal, that is.

I'm thinking of AD and TruJo here, of course.

Consider these factors...

Ascending team.
The #2 TV market in the country.
Outstanding up and coming HC.
Proven elite DC to play for.
Grass field (not sure about the new stadium)
Wonderful weather.

If you were either TruJo or AD, assuming that the Rams were offering market price, why in the world would you choose to leave these teammates and coaches?

Yet here we seem to be. Likely losing TruJo after this year and watching AD playing contract hardball in mid-contract.

I don't get it.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I don't get it.

Taxifornia: ~~10% state income tax, cost of living, TRAFFIC, and recent franchise history. I really don't think these negatives are that important though. It mostly comes down to agents trying to secure as much guaranteed $ for their clients as possible.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Home sickness is powerful stuff too.

Born in Pittsburgh, went to school in Pittsburgh & played all his college in Pittsburgh. The Northeast is a different world from LA California.

That why I suggested last month that the Browns would be the perfect team to trade with if AD went real ugly here (which I say looks to be trending that direction)they can easily meet AD's needs tons of $$$ & its only 2 hrs ways from Pittsburgh. On the opposite side the Browns have what we would want....5 very high draft selection in the 2018 draft in the first 2 rounds( 2 first round picks & 3 second round picks) 12 selections in all.AD wants $$$ yesterday along with freedom to make more than the NFL Tags after his original rookie 4 yr contract expires.

I trust what McVay/Snead draft creds after this past 2017 draft, where even without a frist round pick they stand a good chance by mid season to have 3 of the 4 top selection as starters. If AD does not show up then 6th rd pick Tanzel Smart will start in place of AD that would be 4 rookie starters.

Trumaine Johnson stands a good chance to play in the Bay area (9ers/ Oakland) when this season concludes. Yes he would be returning home to play in front of family & life long friends.

Both the above appear to be types of people who could careless about the so called LA esthetics.

Last edited:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
LA is way over rated by people that live here. Like FaulkSF said Taxifornia/Commiefornia traffic, Cost of Living and we havent won anything here.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its not personal - its business. Its about making every single dollar you can while you are in your performance window.

I'm sure cost of living, tax rate, wanting to play for a winner matter sometimes - but this isn't a - these guys don't want to play for the Rams thing. Its a negotiation.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ascending team.
Wonderful weather.

@Rams43 none of those show up on a bank deposit slip. And that's what players like AD want because of the rookie cap. He knows someone will pay him 20+ MIL with gobs of $$$ guaranteed. That why we are hearing about the out clause. He wants to hit the open market.

If the Rams can't get a deal done I think they will trade him.

LA is way over rated by people that live here. Like FaulkSF said Taxifornia/Commiefornia traffic, Cost of Living and we havent won anything here.

Not everyone is a fan of a city like that. I know people that have gone to NY to see it for a long weekend and not really enjoyed themselves that much. I've been all over the nation including the LA area and I wouldn't want to live there unless I had to for work.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Taxifornia: ~~10% state income tax, cost of living, TRAFFIC, and recent franchise history. I really don't think these negatives are that important though. It mostly comes down to agents trying to secure as much guaranteed $ for their clients as possible.

That's all true, although I hear Donald/his agent want an 'out' clause to void his contract early if he wants to. That could be a BIG sticking point.

Ram65

Legend
Taxifornia: ~~10% state income tax

That has to come into play. Try 13.3% in Taxifornia.

Here a partial quote from an article I suggest reading if interested. Really good CPAs can cut some tax money down.
https://smartasset.com/taxes/NFL-jock-taxes. It looks like playing in AFC South can save 3-7% yearly in taxes. That can add up on really big contracts. I'm not sure how much that means to really high paid players.
Key Findings
  • California hits hard. Athletes who play for one of the NFL’s three California teams pay a marginal tax rate of 13.3%, the highest state-level tax in the country. For that reason, players on those teams give up more of their income in taxes than players anywhere else in the country. Phillip Rivers, QB for the San Diego Chargers, has the highest effective tax rate of any NFL player, according to our analysis.
  • AFC South is the most tax-friendly NFL division. While on-field results for the four teams in the AFC South have been mixed this season, they are clear winners of the tax bracket. Three of the four teams play in states with no tax on regular income (Texas, Florida and Tennessee), which means no jock taxes on away games. Tax bills for players on Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee are among the lowest in the league.
  • AFC West is worst for taxes. With two teams in California and another in Kansas City (where there are both state and local taxes), the AFC West is the worst division for away-game jock taxes.
Ascending team.
Wonderful weather.

@Rams43 none of those show up on a bank deposit slip. And that's what players like AD want because of the rookie cap. He knows someone will pay him 20+ MIL with gobs of $$$ guaranteed. That why we are hearing about the out clause. He wants to hit the open market.

If the Rams can't get a deal done I think they will trade him.

The field will be turf.

I think players weigh their personal preferences against each offer. They all may not be driven just by money. List of reasons why players sign where. The Rams and LA have their pluses and minus. Sometimes money just wins out.

Money
Weather
Schools for kids
Traffic/Convenience
Small Market Vs big Market
Coaches
Other players
Winning Team

bluecoconuts

Legend
I really don't think the average football player is pulling out his calculator and notepad to figure out how much he's going to be taking home after taxes, after accounting for deductions and all that. For Donald it's likely his agent that is holding things up, but if it's not I'd wager that the fact we're not a proven winner has much more of an effect on his decision than taxes.

Studies show that after about 90K per year the "happiness" that one gets from money starts to level out... Meaning that the more money you earn the happier you are, but after 90K most people start to level out as they've reached "peak happy" due to money. In that sense where you're making 13 million or 12.5 million after taxes tends to mean very little... Other than to those who aren't making enough to hit that 90K threshold. Unless he's reinvesting the money (owning a business, etc) that's all just additional income for him to blow it on whatever he wanted to... Which again makes the value of that money to him less.

The push for the largest contract is likely more about ego than anything else. If a player feels they're the best they want to be paid like it. However the pursuit of that championship is going to be the biggest thing, because in the end the legacy comes down to wins and rings, not dollars and tax brackets.

bdfitz

UDFA
FA have usually proven their worth, unlike the Rams. As I always say, ya can't eat opportunity. Players gravitate to teams that have at least made it to a superbowl and are still on the upswing. You can't sign everyone anyway. Some teams will do us a favor as we continue to build a Superbowl Team!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I've lived here all my life. 20 years ago it was worth it. Now not so much, it's over taxed, overhyped, and overpriced. Players making lots of money are going to give away 50% of their tax base and that's just crazy.
Worst part is we vote in these yahoo's into office. Shurgs

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems to me that a lot of free agents sign with former coaches.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I've lived here all my life. 20 years ago it was worth it. Now not so much, it's over taxed, overhyped, and overpriced. Players making lots of money are going to give away 50% of their tax base and that's just crazy.
Worst part is we vote in these yahoo's into office. Shurgs

yep me too 50 yrs here and 1 year away from MT.

I seem to remember when SUH was a free agent he wouldn't sign with the raiders because of taxes his agent said. seems legit to me you have to make more here to keep up with the jones'.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Show us what is really important to you...

IMG_0088.PNG

bluecoconuts

Legend
Also by all accounts, Tru wants to play here, the Rams are the ones who are unsure that he's a fit in the system. If he plays well I think they're willing to give him a long term deal. Although by tagging him so much they may have blown that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Studies show that after about 90K per year the "happiness" that one gets from money starts to level out... Meaning that the more money you earn the happier you are, but after 90K most people start to level out as they've reached "peak happy" due to money.

This is an interesting point.

I read an article that pointed out the difference between people that were happy, and the people that weren't all that happy in different degrees. One of the reasons, and the article posited the big reason, was that they used their money to buy "experiences" not "things". So someone that was doing things a lot more than buying things was be a lot happier than a person that was doing the reverse. It made a lot of sense and I understand the psychology behind having more fun in life than possessions and for sure at 90K a person could have a lot of fun.

But with 20MIL with several consecutive months off per year I can't speak for everyone but I'd be buying so many experiences I'd be bursting with happy LOL. I'd be pooping rainbows like a Unicorn getting head from the Easter Bunny.

And I'd drive to those experiences in my Bugatti LOL.

I know that at 90K almost anyone in the US could be enjoying life, especially if they were married and had a household income of double that. Very wealthy people that aren't significantly enjoying life have something wrong with them. And I have met a few of them along the way.

The happiest person I know is a former employee of my defunct event business and she is just totally sparkling through life. She is a bartender making about 60K a year, mostly in cash so kinda close to the 90K reference. But she is just that type of person I think because she's made less and been the same chick. She will jump on a plane at a moments notice. She's under 30 too which helps haha.

I think there is an element of truth to the 90K thing, the buy experiences not stuff thing, and the type of person thing.

I have none of those three right now HAHAHA.

The push for the largest contract is likely more about ego than anything else.

No doubt, and not just for the player, the agents like to have that crap on their "media kit" to hand to prospective clients even when they know that a part of the contracts never get paid out.

Players gravitate to teams that have at least made it to a superbowl and are still on the upswing.

Maybe in the twilight of their careers but during the peak years they want the money.

Or another way to say it is that during their salad days they want to see some serious green! :LOL:

Players making lots of money are going to give away 50% of their tax base and that's just crazy.

I think that every player in the NFL pays out at least that.

At 1MIL a year, which isn't a lot for an athlete these days consider these expenses.

Federal taxes 39.6%

FICA (if you earn over 200K) 8.55%

State taxes 0-13% lets split it and call it 6.5%

Then they have to pay taxes on each game check for the 8 cities/states, or 42 cities/states, or 90 or so cities/states they play in depending on the sport NFL/NBA/MLB lets just say that is another 5%.

That's just under 60%

And we haven't factored in the agents fee. And I don't know what the tax laws say about a bonus earned by hitting a level of production during a road game like hitting a certain number of home runs or throwing a certain amount of TD passes.

40% of the money paid on game checks goes away. Signing bonuses are different but still it's less than half.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
lol 90K in CA is nothing. depends on where you want to live and if you want to drive 4hrs of traffic to work every day. im right around that and am living check to check with my two kids. I live way out too im lucky I drive 40 miles to work 1 1/2 hrs