Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Was that before or after they let Houston sign him last year when Austin Davis and Shaun Hill were our QBs?
He still remained and was our second option.

I'm not speaking in absolutes here, as you are, but I am suggesting that Fisher would want someone on his team who has experience with the system.

They may believe in Mannion, but they haven't seen him play, save for that fiasco after Keenum was concussed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1-UFA veteran QB (i,e, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Drew Stanton).
#2-2016 draft QB prospect.
#3-2015 3rd rd.Sean Mannion as either our 2nd to 3rd string QB.
#4-Case Keenum being resigned in his RFA status should be worth the $$ as our 3rd to 4th string QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He still remained and was our second option.

I'm not speaking in absolutes here, as you are, but I am suggesting that Fisher would want someone on his team who has experience with the system.

They may believe in Mannion, but they haven't seen him play, save for that fiasco after Keenum was concussed.

No, he didn't remain. Houston signed him. That's why we traded a 7th for him this year. We didn't see him as worth a roster spot last year despite having nothing at QB. The guy is only playing now because the Rams don't want to play Mannion and Foles has been a complete disaster. He's not our future. He's not a starter. All he does next year is take up a roster spot that could go to a better QB or a QB with real upside.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No, he didn't remain. Houston signed him. That's why we traded a 7th for him this year. We didn't see him as worth a roster spot last year despite having nothing at QB. The guy is only playing now because the Rams don't want to play Mannion and Foles has been a complete disaster. He's not our future. He's not a starter. All he does next year is take up a roster spot that could go to a better QB or a QB with real upside.
You are correct sir. I shouldn't have made that conjecture that Fisher would indeed be interested in his continued success beyond this season.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What the fuck is with the Keenum bashing? The dudes just gone out and won
He's doing better than Daniels who can't beat out Alex Smith
He's doing better than Wentz who if drafted means another wasted year - 100% unproven in the pros

Don't get this hostility towards the guy

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Was that before or after they let Houston sign him last year when Austin Davis and Shaun Hill were our QBs?
They had no choice. He was vulnerable being on the PS and he had less experience in the system than the other two. They weren't carrying 3 QBs on the 53. As far as his 13 games goes, is that all were giving QBs anymore? How do his stats measure up to Bradford's first 13 games?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had no choice. He was vulnerable being on the PS and he had less experience in the system than the other two. They weren't carrying 3 QBs on the 53. As far as his 13 games goes, is that all were giving QBs anymore? How do his stats measure up to Bradford's first 13 games?

They're carrying 3 QBs now.

Yes. That's all we're giving a UDFA who has been in the league 4 years. That's more than most guys in his shoes get.

What the freak is with the Keenum bashing? The dudes just gone out and won
He's doing better than Daniels who can't beat out Alex Smith
He's doing better than Wentz who if drafted means another wasted year - 100% unproven in the pros

Don't get this hostility towards the guy

There is no Keenum bashing. Accepting Keenum for what he is isn't bashing the guy.

He's doing better than Daniel because Daniel can't beat out a real QB? LOL okay. Where is Case's 3 year $10 million contract?

He's doing better than Wentz? LOL okay. Why didn't Case go in the first or second day (or anywhere) in the draft?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They're carrying 3 QBs now.

Yes. That's all we're giving a UDFA who has been in the league 4 years. That's more than most guys in his shoes get.
Suit yourself. I'll give him more time on this team and in this offense though. I haven't seen enough yet. And his stats against Bradford's first 13 starts? I can't look them up right now because I'm in the field and on my phone.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Watch, knowing fisher, the rams will keep all 3 current QBs on this roster next year to all of our dismay... Fisher seems to love mediocre QB play.

nighttrain

Legend
Suit yourself. I'll give him more time on this team and in this of10 GSfense though. I haven't seen enough yet. And his stats against Bradford's first 13 starts? I can't look them up right now because I'm in the field and on my phone.
Only year Bradford has had 13 starts was his rookie season, started all 16 games, 60% completion rate for 3500 yards, after that been 10 GS-16 GS-7 GS- 0 GS, then traded for Foles:eek:
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get people's infatuation with keeping two players that have taken a team most of us thought would be a contender and dragged them down to mediocrity.
I agree that Foles isn't the answer... I'd like to think it's his surrounding cast, but his mechanics are bad.
I also don't think Keenum is anything more than a good back-up. He's bounced around for a reason (yes, there are exceptions but I just don't think he's one of them).
Mannion? Who knows... clearly not enough to go on.. certainly not as a starter in the NFL.

Daniel
Started 2 games in the NFL.
Completed 50 passes on 77 attempts for 464 yards
Career rating of 80.2

Keenum
Started 13 games
222/395 for 2,689 (12 yards per completion)
Career rating of 79.6 - pretty close to Daniel.

Isn't Daniel also an unknown?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
played for division II Northern Iowa, Invited to camp by Green Bay, cut and stocked shelves/Arena football, picked up by Rams Green injured, the rest is History
train

Yes of course - it was rhetorical question though in regards to Keenum not being drafted compared to Wentz possible going in the first

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why didn't Kurt Warner HOFer not go 1st or second day (or anywhere)

Because Warner coming out of college wasn't the same QB that he was in 1999. It took him 5 years to reach that level. And Warner was one in a million. You want to wait for the next Warner? Have at it. I'm not pinning my hopes on finding the next Warner...because QBs like Kurt Warner are extremely rare. We hit the jackpot three times in 4 years with Warner, Green, and Bulger. The amount of luck we had to grab those three guys without having to use any picks is incredible.

That type of miracle is not going to happen again under Jeff Fisher.

I am not waiting on a miracle. Case Keenum isn't the next Kurt Warner. What did Kurt Warner do when he finally got to start? He certainly didn't look like a mediocre backup in 1999.

I agree that Foles isn't the answer... I'd like to think it's his surrounding cast, but his mechanics are bad.
I also don't think Keenum is anything more than a good back-up. He's bounced around for a reason (yes, there are exceptions but I just don't think he's one of them).
Mannion? Who knows... clearly not enough to go on.. certainly not as a starter in the NFL.

Daniel
Started 2 games in the NFL.
Completed 50 passes on 77 attempts for 464 yards
Career rating of 80.2

Keenum
Started 13 games
222/395 for 2,689 (12 yards per completion)
Career rating of 79.6 - pretty close to Daniel.

Isn't Daniel also an unknown?

Daniel is an unknown. That's the difference. Which is why I took the time to watch him and evaluate his game. Keenum isn't an unknown. Have seen plenty of him. He's not a starting caliber QB.

Suit yourself. I'll give him more time on this team and in this offense though. I haven't seen enough yet. And his stats against Bradford's first 13 starts? I can't look them up right now because I'm in the field and on my phone.

Had this same song and dance with people last year with Austin Davis. And then the Rams cut him. And then the Browns gave him a shot and quickly benched him. A 4th year UDFA isn't going to get 3 years of starting to prove he isn't a quality QB.

Bradford's first 13 starts: 60% completion %, 6.1 YPA, 17 TDs to 12 Ints, and a QB Rating between 79 and 80. Bradford was a rookie #1 overall pick that didn't have Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins to throw to in the majority of his starts.

And Bradford looked FAAAAAAAAR better than Keenum.

You can give him more time he doesn't deserve. But I'm not wasting more time on guys like Keith Null, Austin Davis, Case Keenum, etc. You don't get years and years of time and patience when you're a QB drafted in the late rounds or signed in UDFA. You shit or you get off the toilet. Is it fair? Nope. But the truth is that 13 games is more than enough time to see that Keenum isn't the guy.

Is there a chance I'm wrong? Sure. You have former late round picks/UDFAs like Ryan Fitzpatrick that took years but did develop into a starting QB. But they're few and far between. We don't have years to waste on a low percentage proposition.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes of course - it was rhetorical question though in regards to Keenum not being drafted compared to Wentz possible going in the first

Except you made an illogical argument. You claimed Keenum is doing better than Wentz. In what way? Wentz isn't in the NFL yet. We have no idea what he's capable of. Being better than Keenum once he reaches the NFL isn't a high hurdle to clear.

Keenum isn't Warner. He's a mediocre backup. Wentz is a highly regarded prospect. Yea, I'll toss in with Wentz before I toss in with Keenum. But I'd prefer Wentz sat as a rookie if we draft him unless his lower body mechanics improve drastically between now and the start of the 2016 season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Daniel is an unknown. That's the difference. Which is why I took the time to watch him and evaluate his game. Keenum isn't an unknown. Have seen plenty of him. He's not a starting caliber QB.
I liked Chase Daniel at Missou
A lot
But as far as what he's done in the NFL? What have you watched and evaluated on him?
Like I said, I'm a fan of his and try to keep tabs on him. What was a concern was seeing that New Orleans let him go. Seemed like the perfect spot, backing up Brees. But they still let him go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not with me you didn't.

How long are we supposed to wait until we determine Keenum isn't the guy? Another mediocre season due to poor offensive and QB play?

You can see it when you watch him. He's a backup. And if Mannion wasn't here, I'd say, "Sure, keep him around as a backup." But Mannion is here. We need the roster spots that Foles and Keenum occupy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Chase Daniel at Missou
A lot
But as far as what he's done in the NFL? What have you watched and evaluated on him?
Like I said, I'm a fan of his and try to keep tabs on him. What was a concern was seeing that New Orleans let him go. Seemed like the perfect spot, backing up Brees. But they still let him go.

They didn't let him go. They have had cap issues and Kansas City paid him 3 years $10 million to backup Alex Smith. That was more than New Orleans could afford for a backup QB.

I watched both of his career starts as well as all of his preseason snaps this year. Watched it slowly. Used coach's film. Took the time to really evaluate what I was seeing. I don't think he's the next Kurt Warner but I do think he can be a really good backup and possibly a Fitzpatrick level starter (if we get lucky...maybe more). Which is why I want him AND a rookie QB.