QB Mike Glennon Is Our Best Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
L
We're talking about a team picking #1. They're not a good team. The fact that they started McCown all season proves that imo.
I think Lovie is a great coach, but a poor personnel guy. Jamie Duncan over London Fletcher is the prime example.

FRO

Legend
You make some good points.

Glennon was handed the TB job twice lost it twice. Had about the same stats than Davis, yet had better WR's and arguably better protection. he makes poor decisions with the ball and has accuracy issues.
Given time yeah maybe he he can be a quality backup, and I'd consider him as a backup if he could beat out Davis.

But compete against Bradford, that's DOA..
Had there not been a coaching change the Bucs would have built around him. Lovie never bought into the guy. Austin Davis doesn't have starting tools. Glennon has very good arm talent.

duckhunter

Starter
Let's not be too hasty one way or the other on this decision.

When you're dumpster diving, it's not wise to be too picky. The NFL has this idea that 6'7" QBs don't make it. I read a couple articles concerning extreme height when he came out. It didn't sway me from him as a developmental guy. I think he's done well with the tools he has. Other than a running QB, I don't see many pocket guys doing well behind this OL. They don't perform well with or without continuity.

About draft time, I would think Lovie tries to move him and then we may know whether we move in the draft, etc. One way or the other we should know something by then.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@Alan

Because it's Tampa. They just traded us Mark Barron... who really is a 1st round talent if used properly as we will see next year... for a 4th and 6th.

I'm impressed by jrry's take. I hadn't liked what I'd seen of Glennon, but you hit on some things that I can't disagree with and are good in his favor. I have to agree... for a 5th, it'd be hard to not snatch him up.

While last year was a really deep draft, I just have this feeling that this year is just...not.

FRO

Legend

When you're dumpster diving, it's not wise to be too picky. The NFL has this idea that 6'7" QBs don't make it. I read a couple articles concerning extreme height when he came out. It didn't sway me from him as a developmental guy. I think he's done well with the tools he has. Other than a running QB, I don't see many pocket guys doing well behind this OL. They don't perform well with or without continuity.

About draft time, I would think Lovie tries to move him and then we may know whether we move in the draft, etc. One way or the other we should know something by then.
I don't think his height is any sort of detriment. Joe Flacco is 6'6" and won the Super Bowl. I don't think one inch makes that big of difference. I've been trying to convince myself that my whole life.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glennon was handed the TB job twice lost it twice. Had about the same stats than Davis, yet had better WR's and arguably better protection. he makes poor decisions with the ball and has accuracy issues.
Given time yeah maybe he he can be a quality backup, and I'd consider him as a backup if he could beat out Davis.

Glennon was not handed the TB job this year. McCown got hurt. If it was a real competition, Glennon would have won the job. He outplayed McCown.

As far as the first time he was handed the job, he had good rookie year. And then the new staff came in.

So no, I don't agree he lost it twice. IMO, he didn't even truly lose it once. He should have started over McCown this year.

And I'm not sure where the compete against Bradford line is coming from. I didn't say that. Unless you're responding to another poster(if so, my apologies for misunderstanding). I mean, he'd obviously compete with Sam...but he wouldn't beat him out.

Stats may have been similar to Davis but his play was not. It was far better.

So if he has the kind of potential to be as good a backup as @jrry32 thinks he does, why would they trade him for a song when we all know how important the backup QB position is?

Already have McCown and they're getting offered a draft pick for a player that won't start for them. I guess I'm hoping they would. I think it's likely they would, though. No reason to hold onto Glennon to be a 3rd string QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He may not even compete against SB, because SB may not be able to go until after the regular season starts.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would be totally on board with this. Listening to Fisher's presser yesterday I feel they will be going the veteran QB option. Glennon, Cousins, and Sanchez are the guys who fit the mold.

Another thing to keep in mind is how horrible the Bucs offensive line is. Glennon has the arm to stretch the field. I think he is a perfect fit and can be had pretty cheaply.
Sanchez can't be on the list he's garbage and don't see him and Schotty together. Call me crazy but I think Fisher trades up for Mriota or Winston

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Alan

Because it's Tampa. They just traded us Mark Barron... who really is a 1st round talent if used properly as we will see next year... for a 4th and 6th.

I'm impressed by jrry's take. I hadn't liked what I'd seen of Glennon, but you hit on some things that I can't disagree with and are good in his favor. I have to agree... for a 5th, it'd be hard to not snatch him up.

While last year was a really deep draft, I just have this feeling that this year is just...not.

Yea, I agree.

And Barron is a great example. He's a safety that needs to be playing near the LOS but he's great in that role. Yet the Buccaneers were using him almost exclusively in Cover 2.

When you have a new regime that wants their scheme and their guys...they will make some bad decisions on players left over that don't fit their scheme.

Agreed on the not being picky part. I want to be picky but the truth is, we can't. We have limited options available and have to make the best of them. After the three I mentioned in the OP, Glennon is the best option to me. He's the only guy out there available for a reasonable price that I think has starting potential and has flashed the ability to be a solid player.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Glennon is a giraffe that can throw. Who doesn't want that?
17045B56-8101-489F-A233-35B73AD7FA49-36072-000023E9DD2B3497.jpg

e8Mgxt6.jpg

Seriously though, I see a lot of potential in Glennon, and he's honestly not bad. He can play. I'd love to pick him up, and we can get him for a good price, he just doesn't seem like Lovie's guy although it's hard to tell what Lovie wants in a QB besides bad play.

Also, you have to remember the Bucs played their entire season without their offensive coordinator, and that's got to hinder a guy. I think he would blossom here.

So....yes.

FRO

Legend
Sanchez can't be on the list he's garbage and don't see him and Schotty together. Call me crazy but I think Fisher trades up for Mriota or Winston
To move from 6 to 2 the Redskins traded 3 firsts and a second. To move from 10 to 2 will take every bit of that. Fisher and Snead see what that trade has done for the Redskins. If they make that sort of move then I would be dead wrong about them. Mariota and Winston have some huge questions about their games. What is the difference of RGIII coming out of college and Mariota coming out. Yes RGIII had a heck of a rookie year, but like the wildcat the read option has been figured out and RGIII can't figure out how to win in the pocket. Mariota will have those same struggles. Winston has off the field issues. Are you willing to trade your future for a guy that could continue to be a mess of the field? If one of them falls to 10 by all means make the move, just don't trade up.

lockdnram21

Legend
To move from 6 to 2 the Redskins traded 3 firsts and a second. To move from 10 to 2 will take every bit of that. Fisher and Snead see what that trade has done for the Redskins. If they make that sort of move then I would be dead wrong about them. Mariota and Winston have some huge questions about their games. What is the difference of RGIII coming out of college and Mariota coming out. Yes RGIII had a heck of a rookie year, but like the wildcat the read option has been figured out and RGIII can't figure out how to win in the pocket. Mariota will have those same struggles. Winston has off the field issues. Are you willing to trade your future for a guy that could continue to be a mess of the field? If one of them falls to 10 by all means make the move, just don't trade up.
Buffalo didn't have to give up that much. I also think Winston slips to like 4-6 then we trade up

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Glennon can spin it, and I'll say it, most won't agree, especially jrry, Sanchez is a good backup option, knows the offense, looks much matured on Eagles.

lockdnram21

Legend
Think the Jets with no QB options are going to pass up on a QB?
I doubt they give up on Geno. They better get him some real weapons first. The last couple games he looked ok. If there smart they grab Cooper. All he has is Harvin and that's almost like having Tavon. Geno gets one ml ore year

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Okay...this is really mean...I know this.

But the one thing Glennon can't be is the "Face of the Franchise"

He can throw 50TDs and still...no.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Honestly, the deep ball isn't so much the issue with him. He has the arm to hit the deep ball...just needs to improve his mechanics to be more consistent with his placement. The issue more would be some of the deep outs and comebacks that we ran with Sam that we didn't really see this year due to our limitations at QB. We'd likely have to do the same with Glennon.

His arm isn't weak...but it's not strong either. Better than Hill's and Davis's though.

This worries me the most with anyone we draft. I really can't think of anyone that has flourished under our current coaching staff, or has developed nicely other than TJ McDonald. I don't really have faith that our coaching staff can develop guys.

Maybe it's just short sighted of me, and I'd love to be wrong.

FRO

Legend
I doubt they give up on Geno. They better get him some real weapons first. The last couple games he looked ok. If there smart they grab Cooper. All he has is Harvin and that's almost like having Tavon. Geno gets one ml ore year
You think if Winston/Mariota is sitting there at 6 the Jets would still go with Geno Smith? He had one good game. The guy is a marginal NFL QB.