QB Carousel Could Be Crazy This Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're not sure about a QB a franchise tag is a hell of a lot better than paying him.
I dont know about that. 32 mill guaranteed for 1 year is a big hit, and leaves them in a bigger hole after the season. Just another "gift" left behind by the previous administration, voiding that 5th year option.
Sure he looked improved under Daboll, but still only threw 15 td passes in 17 reg season games, had a qbr of just over 90. If Jones was smart, he'd sign a very reasonable deal. If he outperforms it, they could always extend. I like Jones and all but just like any other running qb, you have to ask what you have if the running ability gets taken away. Is he a good enough passer on his own merit?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I dont know about that. 32 mill guaranteed for 1 year is a big hit, and leaves them in a bigger hole after the season. Just another "gift" left behind by the previous administration, voiding that 5th year option.
Sure he looked improved under Daboll, but still only threw 15 td passes in 17 reg season games, had a qbr of just over 90. If Jones was smart, he'd sign a very reasonable deal. If he outperforms it, they could always extend. I like Jones and all but just like any other running qb, you have to ask what you have if the running ability gets taken away. Is he a good enough passer on his own merit?
I didn't know this; Daniel Jones had 708yds rushing this season. :oops:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am not sold on him either. But one year of cap hit, even at a ridiculous tag cost, is better than making the leap and being wrong.

Best case of course is positioning to hit on one in the draft and don't take the risk. So a tag can benefit with that. Tag him and take Haener midrounds, that is probably what I'd do.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sold on him either. But one year of cap hit, even at a ridiculous tag cost, is better than making the leap and being wrong.

Best case of course is positioning to hit on one in the draft and don't take the risk. So a tag can benefit with that. Tag him and take Haener midrounds, that is probably what I'd do.
Probably what the Giants will do, I just think that you could replace his level of play with several of the UFA or soon to be FA QB's at a 3rd of that cost, unless Jones will sign a team friendly 3 year deal (or whatever the minimum contract length is) with a low base, nice signing bonus and plenty of incentives. Give him a 20 mill signing bonus so he gets his cash, and leaves room for renegotiation down the line. He gets 32 mill, then they are stuck with him at 40 mill + the year after
They'd be better off franchise Saquon for 11 mill, and paying a QB 10-15 mill vs 32 mill on DJ alone

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Interesting idea. And I dont even think Fields would garner a "huge" package, but what if they were offered say a 2nd and 4th rounder? Im not a fan of Fields and am probably way underestimating his value but still, you get Young and 2 years of rookie contract back, and the extra capital? Not contending WITH Fields this year so why not?
Heck, this seems like a smart play for Baltimore, even with Roman gone they still can have similar offensive concepts

The idea of signing and trading jackson from the ravens to the bears for fields had been floated out there a couple weeks ago. Thought being the ravens would have to completely redo their offense unless they brought in a similar styled QB.

Personally, I saw enough from fields to warrant an attempt to load up while he’s still on the rookie deal. Get him an OL and a decent defense. The guy was running for his life all year. Another season like that and, yeah, he might be broken beyond repair; but in the meantime, the bears are in the same boat as any other team that might land a decent young quarterback (because they sucked) but don’t have much around them. No excuses though, the bears are in good shape to build around him. Even if they can’t trade outta their 1rst pick, every other one will be coveted.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I wonder what else the Bears would have to give to Ravens for the LJax deal? Surely it wouldn't be a 1 for 1, but I also doubt the 1st pick of draft would be on the table for it.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Interesting idea. And I dont even think Fields would garner a "huge" package, but what if they were offered say a 2nd and 4th rounder? Im not a fan of Fields and am probably way underestimating his value but still, you get Young and 2 years of rookie contract back, and the extra capital? Not contending WITH Fields this year so why not?
Heck, this seems like a smart play for Baltimore, even with Roman gone they still can have similar offensive concepts
Got to disagree I think Fields showed a ton this year 100+ yard weeks of running. Every OC and HC thinks they probably can do even better with him especially that most believe in the league that he is an ascending player - think Josh Allen. He didn't immediately set the world on fire it took 2 solid years to start that train going.

The reason I disagree is not your pov so much but because think about it there are 14+ openings minimumly in the NFL and possibly several more. There are 3- 4 1st round QBs and none are a slam dunk. Young is small, Stroud is erratic etc each has their detractors. So let's assume 4 go in the first then what - Carr, Mayfield, Jimmy G, (Lamar and Rodgers are 2 maybes) at best. Tua, Jones then it gets dicey neither Tua nor Jones I am counting in the 14 openings. Do the math it is a HUGE sellers market. If I was Ryan Poles (he would supposedly never do this) I would get an extra 1st and 2nd next year plus a 2nd this year for Fields I would trade back twice with either Houston and Indy or whomever comes up and acquire tons of help either in a NFL player and draft picks or picks. Here's the KEY - always making sure both Fields and their #1 pick garners a #1 NEXT season so they have 3 picks in the first round. Also try and ask for those picks from potentially bad teams like Indy, Tenn, Houston etc so they walk away this year with a very strong nucleus for next season. Then hopefully they they end up last next season and get Caleb Williams with the first pick. He is the best QB to come out since Luck and is better than Luck. He will be their Brady QB for 15+ years and with the division in so much flux next year they have 3 1sts and hopefully Caleb Williams they are set for the long term future. Imo this only works if they don't have a good QB this year and they are awful. Just think their fortunes immediately turn around by planning ahead this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to disagree I think Fields showed a ton this year 100+ yard weeks of running. Every OC and HC thinks they probably can do even better with him especially that most believe in the league that he is an ascending player - think Josh Allen. He didn't immediately set the world on fire it took 2 solid years to start that train going.
Fields hasnt shown the ability to throw the ball. Allen is a passer who can run. Fields is similar to Daniel Jones just a better runner and less of a passer. QB has to be able to pass, he hasnt shown anything on that
If they could get a 2nd for him, they'd take it and run

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what else the Bears would have to give to Ravens for the LJax deal? Surely it wouldn't be a 1 for 1, but I also doubt the 1st pick of draft would be on the table for it.
IDK Jackson will need a huge contract and Fields is still on a very nice rookie contract. The salary cap edge is huge.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I thought that was a joke… But he’s really doing it.

"It's just sitting in isolation, meditation, dealing with your thoughts. It stimulates DMT, so there can be some hallucinations in there but it's just kind of sitting in silence, which most of us never do. We rarely even turn our phone off or put the blinds down to sleep in darkness. I'm really looking forward to it."

View: https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/1623114501255233536?s=20&t=3IDpRi5q965EnCoV29wuIw

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:laugh4:

Terry Bradshaw: Asshole Face didn’t want to work with Kyler Murray — or Russell Wilson​

For most people, there’s a sharp difference between things they’ll say publicly, and the things they’ll say privately.

Terry Bradshaw is not most people.

During Fox’s pre-Super Bowl media availability, Vic Lombardi of Altitude Sports Radio in Denver asked Bradshaw a series of questions about his soon-to-be-former Fox colleague, who is now the head coach of the Broncos.

“We hung with him,” Bradshaw said, establishing a clear foundation for his basis of knowledge about Payton’s preferences. “We would talk, and he would talk and talk and talk.”

And then it slowly started to get more and more interesting.

“I’d say, ‘You can’t go to Charlotte,'” Bradshaw said. “That’s the NFC South.'”

OK, fine. Makes sense. No controversy there.

“You can’t go to Houston,” Bradshaw said. “They don’t have a quarterback down there. And you don’t want to be in Houston.”

This one seemed a little odd. They didn’t have a quarterback when Payton went to New Orleans, and it all worked out. Also, I’d love to know more about what Terry has against Houston — unless it’s just an Oilers thing from the late ’70s.

But then it got good. Bradshaw was asked about Payton coaching the Cardinals and quarterback Kyler Murray.

“He didn’t want to work with that quarterback,” Bradshaw said.

And then Lombardi swooped in for the hammer: “He’d rather work with Russ?”

“I don’t think so,” Bradshaw said, bursting out a big ol’ Louisiana laugh. “But that’s all he’s got. He’s got no choice. But I’ll tell you one thing. He’ll get the most out of him.”

Indeed he will. Especially if Wilson realizes that Payton will find someone else to do the job, if Wilson isn’t doing it well enough.

Payton truly has a no-lose situation. If Wilson works out, Payton is a hero for turning him around. If Wilson doesn’t work out, it’s not Payton’s fault. And then Payton gets a fresh start with a new quarterback.

Other than Kyler Murray, of course.

Before that, Payton will be working the Super Bowl with Fox. And it’ll be very interesting to see whether Payton has anything to say about the things Bradshaw said on Tuesday.

There’s a chance Payton is dismayed by Terry’s loose lips. There’s also a chance Payton is pleased that his message was communicated to the work in a way that seemed spontaneous and unintentional.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:laugh4::laugh4:

Lamar Jackson contract: Von Miller, Mark Andrews believe Ravens QB is worth more than Aaron Rodgers​

Quarterback Lamar Jackson's future with the Baltimore Ravens is currently up in the air, with his current contract expiring. In 2022, Jackson played under the fifth-year option since the two parties did not agree to a long-term deal in the offseason.

Jackson's future is a major topic heading into the 2023 season, with many weighing in on how they see the situation going. Ravens tight end Mark Andrews and former Super Bowl MVP Von Miller are the latest to give their perspectives.

The two back Jackson's abilities and say he deserves to get paid. Miller went so far to put him higher than a future Hall of Famer.

"[Jackson] does more than Aaron Rodgers ... [Jackson] does everything and Aaron Rodgers is getting $50 million," Miller said.

Andrews echoed these thoughts and gave some insight on what he has seen as Jackson's teammate.

"Oh my God, he does everything," Andrews said of his quarterback. "You're speaking facts man. Everything you said is true man, he deserves it, he deserves more, man. He's a fierce competitor. Every time he steps on that field he's the one, man. He's the guy, there's no one like him."

A deal will of course take both sides to compromise to get something done, but Andrews says he believes it is something both parties want.

"So he's a very special guy and I know he's gonna get paid and I just hope that the deal gets done because I know the Ravens want to get the deal done. I think that he wants to be a Raven as well, so hopefully both parties can get that done. You know how it is, though," the tight end said.

A franchise tag is a likely option and while a trade is not likely, it is still very possible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don’t look now, but it looks like another Brady in the NFL in 10yrs.

Day Valentine GIF

View: https://twitter.com/SavageSports_/status/1623472499676643328?s=20&t=Hu3FC4bQ1QP9zDuDSYQL5A

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Report: Ravens could loosen stance on trading Lamar Jackson​

The Baltimore Ravens would consider trading quarterback Lamar Jackson for a considerable return in draft picks this offseason, sources told NFL Network.

Potential trade value specifics weren't reported, but the Ravens would likely need multiple first- and second-round picks to trade Jackson. Last offseason's blockbuster trades for Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson could influence Baltimore's demands.

The Cleveland Browns sent three first-rounders and a third- and fourth-round selection to the Houston Texans for Watson, while the Denver Broncos acquired Wilson and a fourth-round pick from the Seattle Seahawks for two firsts, two seconds, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, and Drew Lock. Both Watson and Wilson signed long-term extensions with their new clubs.

Jackson is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, but the Ravens are expected to franchise tag him if they can't agree to a long-term deal ahead of the March 7 deadline. The former MVP is reportedly looking for a deal including guarantees similar to the five-year, $230-million fully guaranteed contract that Watson signed with the Browns, according to NFL Network.

The Ravens could consider both the exclusive and non-exclusive tags, per NFL Network. The exclusive tag prevents other teams from negotiating with the 26-year-old, while the non-exclusive tag allows teams to make offers that Baltimore can match. If the Ravens don't match an offer, they'd receive two first-round picks.

Jackson will have near complete control over his destination if he's traded after receiving the exclusive tag because he'll need to sign the tender to facilitate the trade.

nighttrain

Legend
My hope is he goes to the Whiners, running QB's last as long as their legs are without injury, running backs average about five years and after Jackson cannot run effectively he'll be average.
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Packers waiting on Aaron Rodgers' decision on future, open to trade if QB wants one​

Sources emphasized the relationship between the Packers and Rodgers remains positive 11 months after the club signed him to a massive contract extension that seemed to all but secure his stated goal of playing his entire career with one team. For much of the season, Rodgers played through injuries, including a fractured right thumb and a rib injury that opened the door for Love, and kept playing even amid fading playoff hopes.

Whatever happens from here, the Packers and their star QB will work on it together -- but the first move belongs to Rodgers.

If Rodgers decides he wants to continue his career elsewhere, there figures to be no shortage of suitors, with the Jets (who recently hired Rodgers' friend and former coach Nathaniel Hackett as offensive coordinator) and the Raiders among the most logical potential suitors.

Rodgers is due $59.515 million in 2023, including $58.3 million structured as an option bonus that lowers his cap number to about $31.6 million if he's on the Packers next season. If Rodgers is traded, the Packers would need to rework the deal for cap purposes prior to any trade.

All of which is moot if Rodgers emerges from the darkness and decides to turn out the lights on his Hall of Fame-caliber career.

The clock will soon be ticking, with the new league year and free agency set to begin in a little over a month on March 15.