Postgame notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm very surprised but also very happy that alot of the key defenders didn't play . Looks like we are going into he season healthy and that's huge . I seen alot of good from goff, he is night and day compared to last season where he looked totally lost .
That first quarter throw to brown when goff had to adjust and shuffle his feet was beautiful. Brown is a great back up , not sure where dunbar fits in now .
I'm sure mcvay has only showed basic looks on offense and they will look alot better come week 1 .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Would not have seen Hav get beat. He let the guy just push his hands down and go around him. It isn't just slow feet, I think Hav has slow hands.
Havenstein is not a powerful player....Power is strength applied quickly..(strength x speed = power). And Brown is just as bad....I really don't know what is wrong with the line and allowing free rushers to hit our QB? Only bad teams consistently do this....Good QB's know what to do when this happens and get rid of the ball...live to play another down.

Higbee got bailed out on that PI call ? The guy never turned back , but contact came at the sametime . He needs to catch the football ?? Even if it was , same thoughts. Make a play.
Higbee is officially soft...no fight for the ball...There is a guy on our roster...#82...probably gonna be cut...but is a beast with the ball in the air...Higbee plays nothing like him...and thats a shame.

On offense Reynolds is going to be a total non factor & probably won't be on the game day roster, imo
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Reynolds is the new Quick....Agree with everything but this...Reynolds had a great game. And will make the 53.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Havenstein is not a powerful player....Power is strength applied quickly..(strength x speed = power). And Brown is just as bad....I really don't know what is wrong with the line and allowing free rushers to hit our QB? Only bad teams consistently do this....Good QB's know what to do when this happens and get rid of the ball...live to play another down.
I think you got to see the pass rusher to be able to know what to do with the ball. Even the best has this happen to them. Plus I think we have seen Goff move or pass the ball right before he is sacked and make a play. He knows how to do it, but experience will help him get better. Goff needs to get better, more consistent, but it is going to take time. What will help is the game plan. It is going to have to compensate for the right side all year. They need to plan different ways to chip and help Hav.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It all was going as I hoped until Goff under threw Higbee. Seemed like he should have thrown the ball more over Higbee's shoulder and of course farther and it would have been a TD. I hated that throw.

This is a good point yeah. The positive on the play is the ease with which Higs blew by the LB. The negatives are that he couldn't bring it in with someone on him (consistent tendency from him through camp), and Goff not putting it on him in stride which would have changed the game.

Also of note is the 2nd and 7 thereafter where Goff didn't get through his reads quickly enough to see Woods for the TD. Another theme from camp, and what can you do other than try to keep getting him to speed things up.

Higbee is officially soft...no fight for the ball...There is a guy on our roster...#82...probably gonna be cut...but is a beast with the ball in the air...Higbee plays nothing like him...and thats a shame.

He has been a disappointment for me yeah. Only one preseason game left yet, and it's been clear that he's a guy who can stretch the seam with his athleticism but doesn't use his size or catch radius well and if a defender is in his space fugeddaboutit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd start with a comfy spot on the bench.
If RT Havenstein is on the bench then who is on the field? UDFA Darrell Williams or UDFA Pace Murphy or UDFA Micheal Dunn or UDFA Jake Eldrenkamp ? Can McVay put Havenstein on the bench?

I would make one of those 2 TE's usually on the field have the assignment of a major chip before running out 5 yds & turning around. I am not sure that Higbee wants to engage a Boza type DE. I should also add I thought that FB Cory Harkey had a good 2nd half(y), doing some major HD blocking for Mannion & company.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
WR. It didn't seem like guys were getting the instant separation we saw vs Oakland. Before this game I was interested in seeing who was going to step up into that go-to void in Kupp's absence, and it seemed like we had some good options from Woods, to Watkins, to even the TEs. Watkins, in fact, was a key for me, since I felt like his talent would allow him to show well after his self proclaimed week and a half learning the system, but he was a complete non-factor.

Bubba reported that the team looked flat in warm ups from his stadium view 35 yard line and 28 row up. That could be part of it. Goff was looking the field over early so the no separation sounds right.

TE. Expected to see Higs and Everett shine, and the two did make their presence felt, Higs with the PI after he had to slow up for the pass when he had clearly beaten his man and Everett in some short stuff. But neither really looked like security blanket type options just yet. I think the world of Everett, but he is a rook so IMO we still do need Higs to step it up. Hemingway injury was unfortunate, real bummer there. Still waiting on TE to step it up.

McVay must have his reasons but, I expected and liked to see Everett going out in deeper patterns. He can catch with size, length and speed so he may not need a lot of separation. McVay could be playing it conservatively in the preseason. Either way the Rams need to ramp it up come regular season.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If RT Havenstein is on the bench then who is on the field?
I'd see if Donnal is gonna be healthy or IR'd.....I'd kick the tires on Brandon Albert....and I'd be in some agents ears about who's expected to get cut next week that can block...You can't have a young QB protected by Brown and Havenstein....and RT is our real problem...I'm moving Wichman in again a OG....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd see if Donnal is gonna be healthy or IR'd.....I'd kick the tires on Brandon Albert....and I'd be in some agents ears about who's expected to get cut next week that can block...You can't have a young QB protected by Brown and Havenstein....and RT is our real problem...I'm moving Wichman in again a OG....

Yes sir Andrew Donnal might be the answer yet. I seen where he was standing on the sideline with the other OL'ers & looked like he was @ the Beach...If he can get healthy he might resume where he left off last season as a starter. We can not afford to sign a Brandon Albert.

Cody Wichmann had an effective game yesterday @ RG. He also replaced Saffold @ LG in the first half too. There was some shifting on going on that right side. Really have some time on your hands go & check out the right side OL after RT Pace Murphy replaced Cody Wichmann @ RG & Micheal Dunn replace Murphy @ RT. You will be seriously surprised:shocked: @ what you see. Just in case you do not have the time......Pace Murphy looked good @ RG & Dunn gave us the best play @ RT all game long...of course that was going up against the Chargers 2nd & 3rd team strong-side DL/LB'ers.

TexasRam

Legend
Pro bowler Zack Martin got completely owned by Fletcher Cox both games last year.

Havenstein has been solid. The fact that Bosa beat him is not surprising. It happens with Pro Bowlers.

Sometimes Donald is triple teamed.

It's a coaches job to double the pro bowl pass rushers.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a good point yeah. The positive on the play is the ease with which Higs blew by the LB. The negatives are that he couldn't bring it in with someone on him (consistent tendency from him through camp), and Goff not putting it on him in stride which would have changed the game.

Also of note is the 2nd and 7 thereafter where Goff didn't get through his reads quickly enough to see Woods for the TD. Another theme from camp, and what can you do other than try to keep getting him to speed things up.

He has been a disappointment for me yeah. Only one preseason game left yet, and it's been clear that he's a guy who can stretch the seam with his athleticism but doesn't use his size or catch radius well and if a defender is in his space fugeddaboutit.
Maybe he just need Mannion under center

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
On offense Reynolds is going to be a total non factor & probably won't be on the game day roster, imo

That was a misprint, right? I thought it would take Reynolds til next year to do what he's already doing. Very impressed with him holding onto the ball while getting clocked, then coming back with a TD shortly after.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was a misprint, right? I thought it would take Reynolds til next year to do what he's already doing. Very impressed with him holding onto the ball while getting clocked, then coming back with a TD shortly after.

Yeah Reynolds is one big and talented kid. Holding onto that ball showed he's tough too.

But that said not sure what to expect from him this season. I don't think he's going to factor too much into things, unless our other wideouts above him on the depth chart struggle or we suffer injuries there. Have to think he'll get a mostly redshirt season in the offense, and do teams mostly if things go according to plan.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

here is your new quick @LACHAMP46

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

You might be right ?? Even going to the Senior Bowl he has done the same. The kid is impressive, & one of the only tall WR's The Rams have .
The thing is is what about special teams ?? You can only have so many WR's on the field. Who sits ?

Truth be told I had not seen that play until yesterday & said to myself. Now you look like a donkeys azz.

Pharoh Copper returns kicks & can play other positions on special teams.I don't know , but special teams plays a big part of who is on the game day roster.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Hope you're right, but I think the right side of our OL makes that unlikely. It disturbed me last night how quickly Hav was beaten, initiating a domino effect of bad stuff.
I respect your feeling... but to be honest.....I don't feel nearly as worried as you do...not every team has a Bosa on they're defense. Plus there are ways to scheme this offense to help Hav. We will see.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
here is your new quick
Higbee is worse than Quick....Higbee is physically scared of the contact. Goff was looking for this guy all quarter....and he refused to get open...or go hard after the ball. I doubt Quick was ever the primary target except for that one magical year....think it was 2014.

Pharoh Copper returns kicks & can play other positions on special teams.I don't know , but special teams plays a big part of who is on the game day roster.
He's not Benny....and I truly doubt he's our best player for any type of ST. I'm hoping they try Davis or another RB for the role....or ....Mike Thomas.
.not every team has a Bosa on they're defense.
Look around...every team has a version of Bosa.....or even something better. DE is the most athletic player on many teams....the combo of size, speed, and power...Did you see SF last night? Truly scary team now...on defense...and we know what Seattle & Arizona bring.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Higbee is worse than Quick....Higbee is physically scared of the contact. Goff was looking for this guy all quarter....and he refused to get open...or go hard after the ball. I doubt Quick was ever the primary target except for that one magical year....think it was 2014.

He's not Benny....and I truly doubt he's our best player for any type of ST. I'm hoping they try Davis or another RB for the role....or ....Mike Thomas.
Look around...every team has a version of Bosa.....or even something better. DE is the most athletic player on many teams....the combo of size, speed, and power...Did you see SF last night? Truly scary team now...on defense...and we know what Seattle & Arizona bring.

Lmao... nonsense @LACHAMP46.... we will have to agree to disagree. ..lol... I'm sorry but I cannot agree with your assessment. I feel it originates from your negative view and not necessarily a constructive view. Higbee is entering his second year... he will get better still... he has made huge strides since last year as it is. Sure Everett is farther along at the same point and may subplant him as no.1 on the depth chart. Although I am almost positive McVay will run a lot of multiple TE sets and he will be a major part of that.

As far as Pharaoh Cooper goes... even though I haven't mentioned this before.... I would be shocked if he is not on The Rams roster all year long. Imho...the only way he isn't is trade or injury.

Sure everyone has a threat from that side but Bosa is special. ....Do you put Ealy on the same level as Bosa? Lol

I look at it this way.... I trust this NEW Rams Coaching staff until they give me reason not to. If they feel Higbee or Everett is number 1 on the depth chart then I trust them. If they feel we will be OK to roll with Hav's at Right Tackle and Brown at R Guard then I'm on board. If we need an upgrade...I'm sure they will either explore the possibility or tweek the game plan to help. We will see what happens... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All for you 56...I hope you feel special
Lmao... nonsense @LACHAMP46.... we will have to agree to disagree. ..lol... I'm sorry but I cannot agree with your assessment. I feel it originates from your negative view and not necessarily a constructive view. Higbee is entering his second year.
Higbee was a 4th round pick, that has been labeled the replacement for Cook and Kendricks...in a vital role in a TE heavy passing attack. If our attack relies on a player that seems to not want it...it is a detriment to the RAMS success. I'm sorry that my negative slant bothers not only you, but many on this blog. You know what bothers me more? 14 years of losing....Supporting a losing team...constant snickering of opponents fans...

I truly believe in McVay as a coach...we can move the ball...if we put the right pieces in place. I'd hate to lose McVay in 4-5 years because we/us/they relied on players that obviously can't get it done.

The biggest improvement, usually occurs between the 1st and 2nd years. IMO...Higbee seems to be getting worse.

he will get better still.
As opposed to...what? Look around...at first year TE's....2nd year TE's...TE's that haven't played football for years catch the ball better than him.

he has made huge strides since last year as it is
He was better at catching last year...he wasn't as healthy....so, he made strides in his health...His play, actual play, has yet to be determined.

Sure everyone has a threat from that side but Bosa is special. ....Do you put Ealy on the same level as Bosa?
hahahahahahahaha! Put him in front of a Havenstein and find out.
Think division....Avril in Seattle, #44 for Az...and whatever they're putting together in SF...real players on defensive teams. Again...if you're only out there 10-20 snaps....and you get beat on a couple....what's gonna happen in a whole game? If you get beat once in your first 4-5 plays, that's a problem.