Poll: Should the NFL allow players to use marijuana for pain management?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL allow players to use marijuana for pain management?

• Yes

Votes: 48 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Not sure if that's saying the same thing. At will employee's for sure can be fired without cause, but that doesnt mean there isnt repercussions for the business.
Also, if prescribed by a physician, not sure how it could be banned either.
What legal repercussions would there be? Right or wrong, I am fairly certain that an at-will employee being fired for weed in a state where it's legal would be fully within the company's rights.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
How is a company's owner's political affiliation relevant? If a company operates in right-to-work states, no matter who owns them, they can do whatever they please with regards to terminating employment.

Their way or the hi-way...You be surprised how many companies discriminate based on political views. If you work for a hippy green party employer do you honestly think they will give 2 craps about you smoking?

But anyways thats how I see it. So whatever.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Their way or the hi-way...You be surprised how many companies discriminate based on political views. If you work for a hippy green party employer do you honestly think they will give 2 craps about you smoking?
No, but a hippy green party employer is well within their legal rights in a right-to-work state to fire you for whatever reason he or she sees fit. Whether they're likely to do it or not is a different conversation entirely.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Can an employer fire someone for testing positive for weed in a state where it's legal? Or where its prescribed by a doctor? Honest question here

I'm now a retired state worker in California. After mj was legalized last election we had a training class that addressed it. We were told a positive test for mj could still jeopardize our jobs. State corrections did not recognize mj as a legal drug. Even with a prescription. That could change at some point though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What legal repercussions would there be? Right or wrong, I am fairly certain that an at-will employee being fired for weed in a state where it's legal would be fully within the company's rights.
Potential wrongful termination suits.
I'm not talking about an overview on employment at will.
They do drug screens and terminate for use of illegal substance typically.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm now a retired state worker in California. After mj was legalized last election we had a training class that addressed it. We were told a positive test for mj could still jeopardize our jobs. State corrections did not recognize mj as a legal drug. Even with a prescription. That could change at some point though.
Interesting. Gray area for sure.
And alcohol in system is ok. Amazing

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Potential wrongful termination suits.
I'm not talking about an overview on employment at will.
They do drug screens and terminate for use of illegal substance typically.
It's an interesting question, but I rather doubt that a wrongful termination suit would get much traction in a case like this. Might be wrong, but I don't know that anyone has tried yet, which would set precedent - would totally have to be medical marijuana to even attempt it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You still fail the tests with those creams, and they don't work as well. I only made it to JuCo and I am currently working between 50-70 hours a week. My body hurt more during those two football seasons than it ever has since, and only one player from my team made it to the NFL. He only lasted 3 weeks training camp. These are the biggest, strongest, fastest athletes that they make, and they're hitting each other with up to 1600 pounds of force. We think it's okay for them to pop a few Vicodin everyday for their pain, but oh no, don't smoke weed. Are you kidding me? Weed isn't made in a laboratory. Weed doesn't ever make you dependent upon it. It doesn't have addictive traits. I have gone months smoking weed and then just stopped because I didn't need it anymore. No issues.

A few years back I had been told that smoking weed doesn't put enough THC in't your system to be all that effective, you'd have to smoke enough to knock yourself out. But you wouldn't feel the pain then LOL. I was told that in order for it to work you consume it in gelcaps or some other delivery system.

Weed proponents can give you a list of like 1300 things that weed "cures" so there needs to be more research. Either way I don't care what the NFL does in this regard.

Especially they should find out how large doses will effect people. Simply smoking a joint isn't enough based on what I was told.

Can an employer fire someone for testing positive for weed in a state where it's legal? Or where its prescribed by a doctor? Honest question here

If it's in your employment agreement yes you can be fired. I've learned a bit about this type of thing over the years. Alcohol is legal and you can't come to work drunk.

If you operate machinery or whatever you shouldn't be high or drunk!!!

It doesn't have to be an at will state, though that makes it a lot easier since you can literally just terminate an employee with a simple phrase like "your services are no longer required by ABC Company" and that's that.

See above, you're correct fully within their rights.

Side note:

I'm from CLE originally and this opoiod epidemic is insane back where I am from. I know it's bad all over but that area is one of the hardest hit in the nation.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
A few years back I had been told that smoking weed doesn't put enough THC in't your system to be all that effective, you'd have to smoke enough to knock yourself out. But you wouldn't feel the pain. I was told that in order for it to work you consume it in gelcaps or some other delivery system.

Weed proponents can give you a list of like 1300 things that weed "cures" so there needs to be more research. Either way I don't care what the NFL does in this regard.

Especially they should find out how large doses will effect people. Simply smoking a joint isn't enough based on what I was told.

If it's in your employment agreement yes you can be fired. I've learned a bit about this type of thing over the years. Alcohol is legal and you can't come to work drunk.

It doesn't have to be an at will state, though that makes it a lot easier since you can literally just terminate an employee with a simple phrase like "your services are no longer required by ABC Company" and that's that.

See above, you're correct fully within their rights.

Side note:

I'm from CLE originally and this opoiod epidemic is insane back where I am from. I know it's bad all over but that area is one of the hardest hit in the nation.
Central and western Massachusetts has been hit by the opioid epidemic super hard, too. It's really bad... a colleague's fiancee is a doctor in Worcester and seems to spend way too much time fending off drug-seeking people just trying to get a fix.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not sure if that's saying the same thing. At will employee's for sure can be fired without cause, but that doesnt mean there isnt repercussions for the business.
Also, if prescribed by a physician, not sure how it could be banned either.
I believe IF a company has a stated "No Tolerance Policy" in regards to Drugs or Alcohol use in the work place, which every company I ever worked for does, you can be fired forth-with!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Decades of prohibition will establish a culture of cannabigotry.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We are literally killing people with prescription meds.....why the hell not should be the question.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately if your company is owned by republicans they can damn do as they please...:(

Keep politics out of this please.

Weed doesn't ever make you dependent upon it. It doesn't have addictive traits.

giphy.gif

That depends on the individual smoking it. It may not affect you like that but it may become a problem for someone else. Someone like myself, with an addictive personality, can get addicted to just about anything. Take ROD for example. :sneaky:

Btw I'm in favor of NFL players being allowed to use weed to help ease their pain as long as they don't drive while they're loaded and cause harm to others. But to say that some players won't get addicted to it is not accurate.

Is-marijuana-addictive.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Weed can certainly be addictive.
There has been a large, large uptick in cannabis poisoning cases at hospitals where legalization has occurred.
Mostly from edibles as it is very easy to over consume.
That said, CBDs can do amazing things for people suffering from pain and many, many inflammation related conditions.
Getting started in this business side of this now and it is absurd the Feds have it classified as they do.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One problem I see is how you would manage the disparity between teams in states where it is legal vs illegal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@Prime Time I thought it was the other way around with weed and it isn't actually physically addicting, just psychologically.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

If you work in an industry that is federally regulated... for example a Commercial Driver or a Pilot... your is employer damn near required to fire you. At the very least they are required to suspend your employment until you have completed a substance abuse program AND they are required to report the failed drug screen to the entire industry.

Usually that just means they terminate the employee... and then all other employers in the industry see the failed drug screen, and as a result, the person who failed will not be able to find another job in the industry. Now... it's possible that they could become "cleared" for employment once a substance abuse program is completed... but most companies in those kind of industries have company policies against hiring someone with a previous failed screen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You can have alcohol in your system, and not be drunk.
Again, in my experience, when handling requiring drug screens for employment, ineligibility came from having illegal substance in system.
I would be curious how that agreement is written as it pertains to marijuana. I suppose if it specifically mentions marijuana, then termination is simple. If it throws it in with illegal substance, then not so much

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Honestly if the NFL legalizes it and makes it a national issue. We who use it and keep it low key will not be able to smoke it anymore. So yeah if your ok for the NFL legalizing it and it backfires causing legislative actions, fml.

I am just afraid this may cause unnecessary attention. If used during nationally televised games....