Pead vs Stacey vs Cunningham

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram4life11

Rookie
With the preseason ending tonite, I would like some opinions on what order you all have these 3 backs.

Pead- has been decent, some good explosive runs and catches. But has had some fumble issues, IM NOT GONNA MENTION HIS KICK RETURN SKILLS...

Stacey- had a pretty good night tonight, some hard strong runs with a touchdown, I still feel like I haven't seen enough of him... Or atleast enough break out plays from him...

Cunningham- had the best night of his preseason, (Not great competition) but he still ran really well. Nice blend of size, speed, and power.. Has took advantage in the kick return game as well with 2 good kick returns..

Opinions???

lockdnram21

Legend
I want to see Cunningham vs the ones. I was big on him from the beginning and still am. I want him to be the #2

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think they keep four.

Richardson, Pead, Cunningham, Stacy is how I rank them based on what I saw and how I think they are. However I haven't seen enough of Stacy or Cunningham to be that confident in ranking them.

Pead is still our #2 though, but Cunningham probably plays in his spot during week 1.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Drich Cunningham stacy pead i just dont think pead is cut out to be an nfl rb

iced

Pead is still #2 without a doubt.. Although I think it's possible Cunningham just made a huge statement tonight vs stacy

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
iced said:
Pead is still #2 without a doubt.. Although I think it's possible Cunningham just made a huge statement tonight vs stacy
I agree,but only because he's the investment. He'll get more chances to prove he's an NFL back. Thats fine,but the "other guys" are doing more in my eyes in terms of showing that they want the #2 job with their play on the field and just plain running harder. Pead got additional PT vs the Ravens scrubs tonite and he had one good run IMO(and an outstanding blitz pickup). Not enough for me. Maybe im being unfair? I dont think so.

Show me something.

iced

mojorizen7 said:
iced said:
I agree,but only because he's the investment. He'll get more chances to prove he's an NFL back. Thats fine,but the "other guys" are doing more in my eyes in terms of showing that they want the #2 job with their play on the field and just plain running harder. Pead got additional PT vs the Ravens scrubs tonite and he had one good run IMO(and an outstanding blitz pickup). Not enough for me. Maybe im being unfair? I dont think so.

Show me something.

I don't think it has anything to do with his draft position - he's out played the other 2 in stacy and cunningham (i like cunningham but he's vs guys that won't be playing in the nfl next week)..and Pead has been without question the best back in pass protection - head and shoulders above the other 3. He'll be #2 for that reason alone.

And of all 3 backs I like Pead the most physically

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I haven't been impressed by Stacy at all. If we were only going to keep 3 RBs I doubt he'd make the 53. Of course I haven't seen much of him either but that says something too doesn't it?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't trust Pead in any capacity. He is last on my depth chart.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's too close to call, IMO. I know Pead has underwhelmed for many of you, and I can totally understand that, but make no mistake. He has a spot on this team - even if it's SOLELY because he's the best pass protector. All you have to do is watch Bradford get blasted a couple of times because of a back's failure to pick up his man, and you'll be pretty comfortable with Pead back there. Will he get better? Who knows. But I, for one, am not willing to get rid of him due to his value in the passing game, and because of his ability to make something happen in the open field.

Just my 1/5th of a dime.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
If you're talking about the fumbles I can see your point. If he can't get that straightened out I'm right there with you. There's one aspect that you might be forgetting about and that's his pass blocking. Even if he never touches the ball and is just a threat to run he'll be on the field in 3rd down and medium to long situations.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I like Pead. Saw why he's thought well of by the staff last night. Faulk pointed out that he was carrying the ball like he should, high and tight on the fumble.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rhinobean said:
I like Pead. Saw why he's thought well of by the staff last night. Faulk pointed out that he was carrying the ball like he should, high and tight on the fumble.
The fumble was a solid shot from the helmet right on the football. I won't excuse Pead for fumbling, but I can certainly see how it happened.

nighttrain

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
I think they keep four.

Richardson, Pead, Cunningham, Stacy is how I rank them based on what I saw and how I think they are. However I haven't seen enough of Stacy or Cunningham to be that confident in ranking them.

Pead is still our #2 though, but Cunningham probably plays in his spot during week 1.
I'll be happy if we keep 4, if we dropped one it would probably be the wrong guy,
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain chimed in:
I'll be happy if we keep 4, if we dropped one it would probably be the wrong guy
Yeah I agree. If we're going to use a RB by committee approach we should actually have a committee.

Memphis Ram

Legend
rhinobean said:

Gee. The way I heard it, Faulk pointed out that he wasn't carrying the ball correctly.

Anyway, I've waited all preseason to see Cunningham get some reps with the first team offense, but to no avail. :huh:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know I am in the minority here, but I am seeing something totally different in Pead than the majority. Before I say why, I will be the first to acknowledge the back security is an issue, especially on the kickoff returns.

But for those of you who seem to think he hasn't shown any production carrying the ball out of the backfield, I guess we are just watching different things. Last night, his cuts were decisive, and his BEST run was called back on a holding penalty.

There isn't another RB on the roster who gets to the corner, and out runs a guy who has an angle on him on the 28 yard run. And please don't tell me he doesn't get the corner without the hold. He was already on the edge BEFORE the hold took place.

They ran him on 2 or 3 stretch plays, and his cuts were decisive, and gained 6-7 yards per carry.

I really don't understand what some people EXPECT out of him, but he has shown me he is more than capable of being a PRODUCTIVE RB in this league.

His blitz pickup is BY FAR, the best of anyone on the roster. And he seems to be showing much more confidence as the preseason as gone on.

For those of you who continue to question his role, how soon we forget about how many of Steven Jackson's typical game would be. Plenty of 1-2 yards carries, more than his share of carries for loss, then he would "break" loose for a 12-14 yard gain.

This is what I envision to happen throughout this year with BOTH Pead and Richardson. Plenty of less than stellar carries, but this difference being, when they "break" one, its going to be for 20+ yards.

Stacy will get his carries in "crunch time" short yardage situations. HE will split those reps with Richardson, most likely getting the majority of his reps to help close out games when we have the lead in the second half.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
For me it would be Pead, Cunningham and Stacy.

Cunningham just makes smart decisions out there, he's definitely a favorite of mine.

And while people love to hate on Pead, he was hitting the holes well last night. He even broke away from a tackle around the ankles. He has some serious speed on those outside runs, which has been proven again and again. His pass protection is usually pretty good (I may be wrong but I thought he got smoked last night on pass blocking) and he can catch the ball very well. If he's coach-able at all they can clean up the fumbling.

If for no other reason that the role of a 3rd down change of pace back, it is obvious that Pead is the number two, and if he keeps improving with hitting the holes and cuts out the fumbling he could easily challenge for number one.

BTW, did anyone notice some kind of T formation? If so who were the two half backs lined up on either side of the QB? I just thought it was an interesting look.