Payton, Shanahan or McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
It sounds like we might have our choices of these three if we want. Who would you take? Or would you take someone entirely different?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Actually I believe now with the development in Denver, Kyle Shanahan is off the list. IMO, it will come down to these three, if David Shaw is truly not interested nor Jon Gruden:

1. Josh McDaniels (like or not with Scott Pioli as GM)
  2. Asshole Face (this is gaining some steam)
  3. Sean McVay (worked with Demoff in Tampa & maybe Demoff thinks he's found the next Genius)

FRO

Legend
David Shaw
Dave Toub
Matt Patricia

I want a well rounded HC. Not a coordinator playing HC.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kyle Shanahan runs a ZBS and a fullback 30% of the time. If he's in play, we may need to overhaul the entire offensive line...

Josh McDaniels....I'd like to see the staff he'd assemble for a turnaround first....

Not sure I'd want anyone Snead wants to work with...Simply put, look at the number of 1st & 2nd round picks...and the type of players selected....top of my head, I like Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, and....and...???? Maybe Jenkins....but he plays with the Giants now. Not one offensive player comes to mind in the early rounds. That's a problem. Snead is part of the problem.

I'd like Payton...but I seriously doubt he's moving on from NO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have a weird feeling it might be Josh McDaniels & The Rams keep Williams & Snead ??
Williams said you guys might see me around here.Maybe it is wishful thinking on his part .

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
David Shaw
Dave Toub
Matt Patricia

I want a well rounded HC. Not a coordinator playing HC.

Dave Toub? Hmm....Don't see this happening unless the Rams hire a GM first and hire Chris Ballard...More than likely that combination could surface in Indianapolis if indeed Jim Irsay eats two contacts.

Overall IMO, Shaw has always been number one, but @FRO offensive coordinators are getting it done this year in New York (McAdoo) Miami (Gase) Philadelphia (Pederson) & Tampa (Koetter) it is the flavor of the day and the NFL is a copy cat league so unless it is Shaw, I would be stunned if the new Head Coach does not indeed have an offensive background.

FRO

Legend
Dave Toub? Hmm....Don't see this happening unless the Rams hire a GM first and hire Chris Ballard...More than likely that combination could surface in Indianapolis if indeed Jim Irsay eats two contacts.

Overall IMO, Shaw has always been number one, but @FRO offensive coordinators are getting it done this year in New York (McAdoo) Miami (Gase) Philadelphia (Pederson) & Tampa (Koetter) it is the flavor of the day and the NFL is a copy cat league so unless it is Shaw, I would be stunned if the new Head Coach does not indeed have an offensive background.
I understand the flavor of the month. That doesn't change my thought process. I am not against hiring an OC as HC. I just want that candidate to be well rounded.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just want that candidate to be well rounded.

So might I suggest Iowa State's Mark Mangino.
01-Mark_Mangino-isu.jpg

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I hate the idea of us giving up even more for Payton. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could do wonders for the offense, but I want to maintain the integrity of the defense, something I'm not entirely optimistic he'll do. And yes I understand the d did not live up to expectations this year. Regardless, he'd be one of the more exciting hires.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think there needs to be a true poll after all the firings and true candidates show out. That way, for future references we can go back to see who was truly for/against a hire. (y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hate the idea of us giving up even more for Payton. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could do wonders for the offense, but I want to maintain the integrity of the defense, something I'm not entirely optimistic he'll do. And yes I understand the d did not live up to expectations this year. Regardless, he'd be one of the more exciting hires.

Can I suggest Bounty ??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyle Shanahan runs a ZBS and a fullback 30% of the time. If he's in play, we may need to overhaul the entire offensive line...

Josh McDaniels....I'd like to see the staff he'd assemble for a turnaround first....

Not sure I'd want anyone Snead wants to work with...Simply put, look at the number of 1st & 2nd round picks...and the type of players selected....top of my head, I like Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, and....and...???? Maybe Jenkins....but he plays with the Giants now. Not one offensive player comes to mind in the early rounds. That's a problem. Snead is part of the problem.

I'd like Payton...but I seriously doubt he's moving on from NO.

We need to overhaul the entire OL anyways. But Havenstein and Donnal both come from college programs that ran the ZBS. Robinson and Brown are athletic enough to play in a ZBS.

We are running a ZS this year (and last year).(had to remove the "B" because I haven't seen much of it this year) But I figured I'd leave that for the end because it doesn't really inspire much confidence.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We need to overhaul the entire OL anyways. But Havenstein and Donnal both come from college programs that ran the ZBS. Robinson and Brown are athletic enough to play in a ZBS.
Agreed....I think Brown & Donnal have a chance to be pretty decent. G-Rob may need to change positions...and I'm thinking RT. Havenstein....IDK...he's looked just....lets just say I have more hope for G-Rob than Havenstein at this point.
Of those 4 players...I'd place 3 of them at RT...

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
My take;

Belicheck, Brady and Edelman make McDaniels look better than he is.

Payton has been in the league too long (IMHO) and as Breese has aged Payton looks less and less effective.

Now the Shanahan family seems like a perfect mix. Smart, young, fiesty kid with a bright future and plenty of experience in dad to bring some respect and discipline to the locker room.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I'm liking the idea of going for broke with a guy like McVay. And even thinking Chris Peterson. Yeah, that's right. I know the history of college head coaches jumping to the NFL is perhaps dubious, but like I said, go for it this time.