Oscar Taveras - St. Louis Cardinals - Get ready folks!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you follow baseball, you've probably heard of Cardinals prospect/outfielder Oscar Taveras. If you haven't; you soon will.

Position: OF
DOB: 6/19/1992 (Age: 20)
Height/Weight: 6’2”, 180
Bats/Throws: L/L
Drafted/Signed: November 2008 (Dominican Republic)

ETA: 2013

Overview: The best hitter in all the minor leagues, Taveras was named the MVP of the Texas League last year in his age-20 season. He led the Texas League (Double-A) with a .321 batting average and 67 extra-base hits. He has all the makings of a future superstar with an outstanding hit tool, plate discipline beyond his years and unparalleled barrel-to-ball ability.

Offense: A left-handed hitter, Taveras employs a powerful yet balanced swing; keeps bat head in the zone for an extended period of time; strong hands, forearms; always gets head through the zone; extends arms; successful even when forced to muscle the ball; began to tap into his power last season against advanced competition; 25-plus home run potential; lift to swing; ball has carry; extra-base machine; hits same-side pitching; makes loud contact to all fields; comfortable hitting any pitch in any count; doesn’t walk a ton; strikeouts will always be minimal given his pitch recognition and excellent hand-eye coordination; baserunning can be overaggressive.

Defense: Capable of playing all three outfield positions; has seen a majority of time in center field; nothing flashy, but makes the plays; solid actions; slightly above-average range; tracks ball well; bat profiles best at whatever position will get him in the lineup; average runner; routes in the outfield have improved over the last year.

Final Thought: If there’s one hitter I believe can make a successful jump from Double-A to the major leagues, it’s Oscar Taveras. Get excited, folks.

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1527609-bleacher-reports-updated-top-50-mlb-prospects-rankings-spring-training-edition/page/51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1527 ... on/page/51</a>

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hope he comes through. Baseball season needs to get here!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Some people have compared his hitting ability to a young Barry Bonds. His swing reminds me of Vladimir Guerrero's. That's how good this kid is...and the scary thing is that he's only going to get better as he continues to learn how to take walks and tap into his natural power.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Username said:
He's definitely the buzz around town. I r excite.
Yeah, I second that. I've been wanting to see him since I've heard about him, probably the best hitting prospect we had since Pujols.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
Username said:
He's definitely the buzz around town. I r excite.
Yeah, I second that. I've been wanting to see him since I've heard about him, probably the best hitting prospect we had since Pujols.

And... Pujols kind of snuck up on us.

This guy; not so much. He's the real deal. I hope he breaks camp with the big club.