On the Herd Today ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That said, I think it's fair to say that he was a dick. He was a dick everywhere he went, and nothing ever changed.
I remember when he played here for DAL and Parcells was the HC. He kept faking injury so he didn't have to practice.

Parcells made him stay on the sidelines and peddle the stationary bike the whole practice.

Whenever asked how TO was doing, Parcells NEVER referred to him by name. He always referred to him as "The player".

This guy thinks it was rude... but most people thought it was hilarious.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/parcells-pulling-the-player-crap/1615
Parcells Pulling ‘The Player’ Crap Again
June 6, 2008
by Larry Brown

bill-parcells-dolphins.jpg
We’ve been over this before back when the Tuna was in charge of Dallas. He obviously clashed with Terrell Owens, which isn’t much of a shocker given the way T.O. behaved in previous stops at Philly and Baltimore (never amounted to be a stop). Even with the way T.O. destroyed the Eagles — which he did — I’m not quite sure Owens deserved the lack of respect he was given by his head coach. Parcells never referring to him by name, but as “The Player,” was a childish game that probably wasn’t necessary. And now that Parcells is gone, T.O. had a great year and has been rewarded with a superb contract, and he hasn’t even been a problem. Well, looks like The Tuna never learned his lesson since he’s up to the same tricks again:

In his interview with The Palm Beach Post (and in other quotes that have been published so far) he didn’t mention Taylor by name, instead referring to him as “the player,” just as he did with Owens two years ago.

“We’re not actively trying to trade the player, I can tell you that,” Parcells said. “We have never been actively trying to trade the player. We’re not trying to do that.”

Associated Press reporter Tim Reynolds said during his 30-minute interview Parcells called Taylor “the player” once and otherwise didn’t name him at all.

See, I missed this part of the story. I knew that yesterday Parcells kissed and made up, if not because he realized his errant ways, but maybe because he realized it would provide him more trade leverage if it appeared Taylor would play with the Dolphins this year. Why I ask, why must he call him “The Player?” How disrespectful is that? What’s the reason for it? Taylor’s priorities may not be in line with the team’s current mission and that of the younger players, but he’s still the franchise player. Give him the respect he’s due and at least name him by name. That’s weak Parcells, weak.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I will never excuse “the time” as an excuse for the use of a hurtful racial slur. When Cobb played, black people were lynched

Was just talking with my son and homophobic slurs were super common growing up. I knew even as a kid and even as various grown ups around me used them that it was wrong.

“The times” don’t inform what is right, principles do.

I feel you feel differently, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree in the strongest terms.

Mack, I appreciate your perspective. I agree. Wrong is always wrong. But I also agree with @tomas that sometimes it is easy to look back with righteous indignation at the behavior of those that lived in a different era.

I read all of that about Cobb before. To me, he wasn’t a great guy. Sure got into a lot of fights. But it sounds like the narrative that he was “the worst human ever!” Is a little more complicated.

I think the progress we have of today is very good when it comes to treating all people as equals and with dignity.

But we should probably tap the brakes a bit on some of the rewriting of history with today’s righteous indignation.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That is some amazing info on Cobb..........if it's true I hope his family sues the fucker who smeared his name for a few dollars. That's just horrible.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Mack, I appreciate your perspective. I agree. Wrong is always wrong. But I also agree with @tomas that sometimes it is easy to look back with righteous indignation at the behavior of those that lived in a different era.

I read all of that about Cobb before. To me, he wasn’t a great guy. Sure got into a lot of fights. But it sounds like the narrative that he was “the worst human ever!” Is a little more complicated.

I think the progress we have of today is very good when it comes to treating all people as equals and with dignity.

But we should probably tap the brakes a bit on some of the rewriting of history with today’s righteous indignation.

I think it's fair to say something was wrong/immoral/unethical yet normal for the time, or in that particular era. Society evolves and that will never change. But calling it righteous indignation goes a bit to far IMO it's the wrong way to describe it.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think it's fair to say something was wrong/immoral/unethical yet normal for the time, or in that particular era. Society evolves and that will never change. But calling it righteous indignation goes a bit to far IMO it's the wrong way to describe it.

:rolleyes: Of course it’s wrong, Les. Thanks for bumping me back on course again. (y)

Feelin’ The love.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
:rolleyes: Of course it’s wrong, Les. Thanks for bumping me back on course again. (y)

Feelin’ The love.

Pointing out that things in a bygone era that were normal isn't righteous indignation. It would be akin to women today complaining and being angry about not having the right to vote until 1920, or liquor companies complaining and being angry about prohibition.

When I was growing up the term "Seahawks" wouldn't get you in any trouble. Now it's a slur, but then it was a label. That's what I am trying to point out.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Les, I’m not sure where we disagree here. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. Looking back at Ty Cobb with 2018 eyes and virtue signaling is BS. Cheers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Les, I’m not sure where we disagree here. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. Looking back at Ty Cobb with 2018 eyes and virtue signaling is BS. Cheers.

Your use of righteous indignation.

I was as clear as possible there..........it's the wrong phrase for this topic.

That's all. I just mentioned that while I agree with the sentiment and though that the use of that phrase is too much.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Top 10 WR in nfl history, T.O was a beast . He was the Team Obliterator but stats don't lie and not every great athlete is a winner or team player

Ray Lewis had a sketchy life off the field and we never hear about that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get it.
I just don't care that much.
I'm not unfriendly but I dont want to be chatted up by people when I'm out and about. It bothers me.
I can't imagine being approached 30 times a day by people, half of them wanting something.
Part of the trade off I know.
I can empathize with the other side of the coin however.

Here is an example: I met Courtney Brown this weekend. He was a great player at PSU and the number one pick in the draft in 2000. He played a total of 8 years in the NFL. The setting allowed for me to chat. We talked a little about Penn State's recent success. Then we talked a bit about the NFL. Mostly the conversation focused around injuries and surgery. It was interesting and he was very nice. I never felt like he was annoyed by me. I am sure I am not the first football fan to approach him. He was cool, and after about ten or fifteen minutes he said he was going to get back to his family and shook my hand.

I didn't bother him, he wasn't rude or dismissive. He talked to me like any other person.

fearsomefour

Legend
Here is an example: I met Courtney Brown this weekend. He was a great player at PSU and the number one pick in the draft in 2000. He played a total of 8 years in the NFL. The setting allowed for me to chat. We talked a little about Penn State's recent success. Then we talked a bit about the NFL. Mostly the conversation focused around injuries and surgery. It was interesting and he was very nice. I never felt like he was annoyed by me. I am sure I am not the first football fan to approach him. He was cool, and after about ten or fifteen minutes he said he was going to get back to his family and shook my hand.

I didn't bother him, he wasn't rude or dismissive. He talked to me like any other person.
Cool.
I remember Brown.
I'm sure he was not bothered by you.
Some guys are open and some are not (like Faulk for example). I understand both sides of it.
Having worked a bit in music I all sides of cool people and some raging Dbags. Some of the cooler people were more famous. This was a niche music so even the big names would get recognized a couple of times a day but not mobbed.
Mattingly in New York probably would have a trip to the grocery store turn into 3 hour ordeal getting stopped every 40 steps by someone. I get that side of it too.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I will never excuse “the time” as an excuse for the use of a hurtful racial slur. When Cobb played, black people were lynched

Was just talking with my son and homophobic slurs were super common growing up. I knew even as a kid and even as various grown ups around me used them that it was wrong.

“The times” don’t inform what is right, principles do.

I feel you feel differently, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree in the strongest terms.
Homosexuality is not a civil right issue-
Is Homosexuality A Sin - Learn what the Bible says about homosexuality. Is it condemned or ... God's Word says that homosexuality is unnatural, a perversion, an abomination, fornication, vile affections, and a great sin against Him. He states any sexual act outside of marriage is adultery (hetro or homo sexual).

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Is Homosexuality A Sin - Learn what the Bible says about homosexuality. Is it condemned or ... God's Word says that homosexuality is unnatural, a perversion, an abomination, fornication, vile affections, and a great sin against Him. He states any sexual act outside of marriage is adultery (hetro or homo sexual).
The most religious people I know are also the most judgmental and usually the biggest hypocrites. STFU.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Yeah, that's not gonna stand. (And this isn't the venue for that, so don't)

Also, Matthew 5:22 Slurs of any kind are flat wrong. Period.

Most people, especially Evangelicals don't have the foggiest idea what the Bible really says nor do they put much stock in the ACTUAL words of Jesus (don't get me started on that Prosperity Gospel hokum)

As someone who prepared to go to Lutheran Seminary (lest someone think that I'm talking about something less than mainstream Christianity) and actually studied the Old Testament in an academic setting as well as doing tons of study on the Aramaic and Greek roots of modern translations which are more influenced by the Dead Sea Scroll finds as opposed to the poor translation that is the KJV... well, let's just say that you need to stop.

I mean, did you know that the ancient Hebrews acknowledged SIX different genders? SIX.

Prolly not.

Did you realize that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and the current understanding of how it pertains to homosexuality is almost certainly a misunderstanding due to a terrible translation?

Prolly not.

I could once again go chapter and verse through it...but I just don't feel like it and this isn't the venue for it.

Suffice it to say that upon further review, you'd be in and likely ARE in more trouble for wearing a cotton/poly blend shirt (the mixing of fabrics was an offense so egregious, you would be labeled "unclean" and forbidden entrance into the Temple) than your sexuality or habits.

Matthew 7:21-23

Oh, and also... there are people of all faiths and no faith at all who frequent here.

I keep saying it. Opinion and dogma are the currency of the day. We all have to do much, much better.

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Yeah, that's not gonna stand. (And this isn't the venue for that, so don't)

Also, Matthew 5:22 Slurs of any kind are flat wrong. Period.

Most people, especially Evangelicals don't have the foggiest idea what the Bible really says nor do they put much stock in the ACTUAL words of Jesus (don't get me started on that Prosperity Gospel hokum)

As someone who prepared to go to Lutheran Seminary (lest someone think that I'm talking about something less than mainstream Christianity) and actually studied the Old Testament in an academic setting as well as doing tons of study on the Aramaic and Greek roots of modern translations which are more influenced by the Dead Sea Scroll finds as opposed to the poor translation that is the KJV... well, let's just say that you need to stop.

I mean, did you know that the ancient Hebrews acknowledged SIX different genders? SIX.

Prolly not.

Did you realize that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and the current understanding of how it pertains to homosexuality is almost certainly a misunderstanding due to a terrible translation?

Prolly not.

I could once again go chapter and verse through it...but I just don't feel like it and this isn't the venue for it.

Suffice it to say that upon further review, you'd be in and likely ARE in more trouble for wearing a cotton/poly blend shirt (the mixing of fabrics was an offense so egregious, you would be labeled "unclean" and forbidden entrance into the Temple) than your sexuality or habits.

Matthew 7:21-23

Oh, and also... there are people of all faiths and no faith at all who frequent here.

I keep saying it. Opinion and dogma are the currency of the day. We all have to do much, much better.
Homosexuality is a sin! (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32);

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Well,that explains everything-Lutheran Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.