OL combine talk from WF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A week and a day earlier than usual, the 2015 NFL Combine kicks off in just four days with the offensive linemen taking to the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium. So what's the latest word on the blockers as the football world descends upon Indianapolis? Here are five stories to keep an eye on.

Florida_logo.gif
D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida:
Which offensive lineman will leave the Indianapolis with significantly improved draft grades? I'd gamble on D.J. Humphries of Florida. I presently grade Humphries as a 3rd rounder, earlier than most, but the feeling is he could move even higher with a good combine performance. Scouts believe Humphries is one of the most athletic tackles in this years class and holds as much upside as any of the top rated blockers. Playing the year at 280-pounds, he presently tips the scales at just over 300-pounds and is being tutored by former New York Giant offensive lineman William Roberts. Expect not only good testing marks from Humphries but a solid performance in position drills as his ability to effortlessly move about the field and change direction will surely impress.

Utah_logo.gif
Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah:
Another junior offensive lineman I expect to leave the combine with a buzz is Utah junior Jeremiah Poutasi. The Utes starting left tackle the past two seasons after manning the right side as a freshman, most teams grade Poutasi at guard with some now referring to him as Mike Iupati Jr. I graded Poutasi as an early third round pick and have been told scouts rate him much higher than those on the outside (media).

Pittsburgh_logo.gif
T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh:
Many grade T.J. Clemmings as a mid-first round choice but it's an opinion those affiliated with the league never shared. Sources told me the early first round grades placed on Clemmings were unwarranted and set up unreasonable expectations at the Senior Bowl. Most now believe Clemmings needs a strong combine performance and pro-day to stay in the first round. And though the short term picture may not be as rosy as some predict, league insiders all feel Clemmings best football lay ahead as he's still learning to play on the offensive line. There's also a belief Clemmings could start his pro-career at guard, something I've said all along, before being kicked outside to tackle.

ColoradoState_logo.gif
Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State:
Another top rated blocker who needs to turn in a good combine performance is Tyler Sambrailo. The Colorado State tackle struggled at times during the Senior Bowl and teams came away questioning his functional football strength. On the other hand his athleticism is not a concern (still remember watching as Sambrailo caught a touchdown pass last season). Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen. There's still a chance Sambrailo slides into the late part of round one. I previously posted on the Seattle Seahawks admiration for Sambrailo and now hear the Green Bay Packers are in the mix. The team could lose Bryan Bulaga via free agency in the coming weeks and the feeling is Sambrailo's athleticism and ability to easily move around the field makes him a perfect fit for the Aaron Rodgers led Packers.

Hobart_logo.gif
Ali Marpet, G, Hobart:
After his sensational performance at the Senior Bowl a lot of eyes will be on Ali Marpet in Indianapolis. The Hobart product has been working with former All Pro Bob Whitfield, who's taken to the small school lineman. I'm told teams are struggling how to grade Marpet and at what position. Most teams have listed him at guard or center, with a few slotting Marpet at the right tackle spot. Almost no one has listed him as a left tackle as arm length is a concern (calling Jeff Backus!). Expect Marpet to put up solid not sensational numbers this week (5-second forty, 30-reps on the bench). I'm told Hobart will try and hold their pro-day on March 26th, the same day Syracuse is hosting NFL teams. The plan is for Marpet to workout early in the morning before scouts make the one hour drive to Syracuse, who has denied Marpet the opportunity to participate in their pro-day.

Athos

Legend
I'd be giddy to get Clemmings in the 2nd. And yea, I'd move him to OG opposite Saffold too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't like what I saw of Poutasi on film. Humphries is extremely athletically gifted but he has durability problems and struggles keeping weight on. Doubt we'll be a team that drafts him. He makes sense for a team like Atlanta in the 2nd if they decide to let Sam Baker go.

FrankenRam

Starter
Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen.

Does anyone really care all that much about an OL's 40 time? I can see the other 2 being measures of balance and explosiveness...which do strike me as important. But 40 time? How often does an OL get more than 10 yd beyond the line of scrimmage.(?)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't disagree with most of what is written in the article. I've already put that out there on Clemmings. Ty doesn't look strong enough...yet, and I agree with jrry on Humphries. Now, a lot of these things can be overcome by NFL programs, if a player is fully invested to do so.

thehammer

Rookie
agree about Poutasi..looks awfully stiff..will be a guard but question his flexibility/hips but has an A+ personality and will work hard. Humphries will likely rise because very few solid LT prospects but with lot of question marks and high bust potential

the author nailed Sambrailo with this comment, "Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen." Just needs strength.

thehammer

Rookie
add about Poutasi..recently add to jeremiah's top 50 list...hard to evaluate as a guard but has a very high ceiling..really curious about his combine scores and plan to watch as many games that I can find on him..

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
agree about Poutasi..looks awfully stiff..will be a guard but question his flexibility/hips but has an A+ personality and will work hard. Humphries will likely rise because very few solid LT prospects but with lot of question marks and high bust potential

the author nailed Sambrailo with this comment, "Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen." Just needs strength.
hammer, ive enjoyed your comments and knowledge at rams talk/pd many times now,learned alot: however, bet you a dollor peat's shuttle and 3-cone times are terrible and yet it didn't stop you from rating him your top o-line prospect? im not trying to second guess you or anything like that i promise,just trying to learn to see a accurate evaluation myself. joe thomas had not so stellar short times too, he's still a multi. pro bowler. i agree agility ranks high on the desired list for prospects for sure,but im thinking for a rookie to start immediately he must have close to pro upper body strength (high 225 reps. ) lindsley(packers) and other rookies which started for playoff teams last year had upper 20's to higher 225# reps. barrett jones had all the awards and really good scouting reports,minus the fact he was hurt during evaluation time period, but has lacked strength to play thus far, or at least that is what jim thomas has reported. clemmings has all the tools,ex def line, agility plus,but what he will lack at game time would have to be his ex. and mental awareness aspect, and some technic issues,. i think we need a rt who starts immediately at lg and then can move back to rt, can peat play guard, sambrailo? flowers? collins? i believe the last three can start at og for sure. but upper body strength will be key in determining if they can right from the start.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Measurables are always fun but probably mean the least among OL prospects.

Have we ever figured out what the Rams really want in their O linemen?

Obviously versatility is important / but can a phone booth warrior succeed here or do they all need to be able to run a bit?

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
hammer, ive enjoyed your comments and knowledge at rams talk/pd many times now,learned alot: however, bet you a dollor peat's shuttle and 3-cone times are terrible and yet it didn't stop you from rating him your top o-line prospect? im not trying to second guess you or anything like that i promise,just trying to learn to see a accurate evaluation myself. joe thomas had not so stellar short times too, he's still a multi. pro bowler. i agree agility ranks high on the desired list for prospects for sure,but im thinking for a rookie to start immediately he must have close to pro upper body strength (high 225 reps. ) lindsley(packers) and other rookies which started for playoff teams last year had upper 20's to higher 225# reps. barrett jones had all the awards and really good scouting reports,minus the fact he was hurt during evaluation time period, but has lacked strength to play thus far, or at least that is what jim thomas has reported. clemmings has all the tools,ex def line, agility plus,but what he will lack at game time would have to be his ex. and mental awareness aspect, and some technic issues,. i think we need a rt who starts immediately at lg and then can move back to rt, can peat play guard, sambrailo? flowers? collins? i believe the last three can start at og for sure. but upper body strength will be key in determining if they can right from the start.
im veiwing humphries as a rot/og at this time. although he does appear to be very athletic at 300# w/ good feet. he played last year at about 280#, as was just reported somewhere. iv'e just heard he's added 20# since then in prep for the combine, i guess. i still keep coming back to glowinski as a very good og prospect. wondering why he's ranked nationally so low? get's good push in the run game, he's a big weight room guy , seems to anchor good too. fisher was penalized too much in his carreer at oregon, although plays with mean streak.

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac

Obviously versatility is important / but can a phone booth warrior succeed here or do they all need to be able to run a bit?
good question. do we run a power system? i think we do. fisher has been lokking for that 6'-5" ish 300# type rot for three years now. measureables tell the story but they aren't 100% unfortunately.

thehammer

Rookie

thanks for the kind words...
have gone back and restudied Linsley and Stork/...especially Linsley #1 rated sparq center last year(Rhaney was #3)..sparq doesn't use lifts and he did 36..econ major and called all the line shifts..like you said strong/smart/athletic..had him 6th rd but with a "way underrated" comment...ended up being the 3rd ranked center in the nfl per pff..he fell because he wasn't extremley flexible or dominating as a run blocker.

Stark is similar to Linsley zero sparq because he injured but a smart weight lifter and smart, funny extrovert

what I learned from studying my low Linsley ranking was too really use sparq/lifts along with proven intelligence/fast talkers, thinkers....besides just watching tape. had always liked high wonderlic/extrovert guys but this year those guys will really jump players up my rankings based on their intelligence and wit

also Joe Thomas is an outlier..his success doesn't fit the physical norm for successful LT's. Always look to outliers success and ask why? Didn't bother to attend the draft but went fishing instead..just oozes smarts/confidence...power score was close to an elite 70 and with a sub 5.0 forty(brains, brawn) but RT short times..actually just a more athletic verson of Linsley and Stork..all 3 have similar personalities

some kids I love listening to this year are David Johnson RB, Miles Dieffenbach G, Jeff Heuerman t, Sean Mannion, Jordan Hicks lb, Max Garcia, Joey Mbu and Laken Tomlinson..lot of others but these kids personalities scream future nfl success along with great tape

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

With the power blocking scheme we're currently running, physical maulers are a perfect fit.
I don't think we run any zone blocking schemes where the linemen have to pull to the other side of the line.
From what I've read. Barksdale is a better fit for our PBS than he was in the Raiders ZBS. Just what I've read.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
have gone back and restudied Linsley and Stork/...especially Linsley #1 rated sparq center last year(Rhaney was #3)..sparq doesn't use lifts and he did 36..econ major and called all the line shifts..like you said strong/smart/athletic..had him 6th rd but with a "way underrated" comment...ended up being the 3rd ranked center in the nfl per pff..he fell because he wasn't extremley flexible or dominating as a run blocker.

Stark is similar to Linsley zero sparq because he injured but a smart weight lifter and smart, funny extrovert

what I learned from studying my low Linsley ranking was too really use sparq/lifts along with proven intelligence/fast talkers, thinkers....besides just watching tape. had always liked high wonderlic/extrovert guys but this year those guys will really jump players up my rankings based on their intelligence and wit

also Joe Thomas is an outlier..his success doesn't fit the physical norm for successful LT's. Always look to outliers success and ask why? Didn't bother to attend the draft but went fishing instead..just oozes smarts/confidence...power score was close to an elite 70 and with a sub 5.0 forty(brains, brawn) but RT short times..actually just a more athletic verson of Linsley and Stork..all 3 have similar personalities

some kids I love listening to this year are David Johnson RB, Miles Dieffenbach G, Jeff Heuerman t, Jordan Hicks lb, Max Garcia, Joey Mbu and Laken Tomlinson..lot of others but these kids personalities scream future nfl success along with great tape
Are you going to camp this year hammer?
CoachO and your camp reports are always the highlight of the offseason. It provides everyone with great familiarity with the young players, making the p reason games fun to watch.

thehammer

Rookie
Are you going to camp this year hammer?
CoachO and your camp reports are always the highlight of the offseason. It provides everyone with great familiarity with the young players, making the p reason games fun to watch.

hope to....enjoy talking with coacho..cheap entertainment for an old guy

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

some kids I love listening to this year are David Johnson RB, Miles Dieffenbach G, Jeff Heuerman t, Sean Mannion, Jordan Hicks lb, Max Garcia, Joey Mbu and Laken Tomlinson..lot of others but these kids personalities scream future nfl success along with great tape

Yes finally someone agrees with me about personality and interview skills. I know it is not an end all be all way to grade, because dumb, or Introverted types succeed too but having a quick wit and confidence is a big plus and an indicator that a guy has a good chance to handle all of the mental parts of the NFL. Slow talking often indicates slow thinking process. Sounding or talking dumb can be a product of environment but usually reflects on intelligence too. A certain Tam that I thought to come across as not very intelligent, predraft still struggles with the play book.

Quick wit and confident communication skills are far too often underrated.

jjab360

Legend
Yes finally someone agrees with me about personality and interview skills. I know it is not an end all be all way to grade, because dumb, or Introverted types succeed too but having a quick wit and confidence is a big plus and an indicator that a guy has a good chance to handle all of the mental parts of the NFL. Slow talking often indicates slow thinking process. Sounding or talking dumb can be a product of environment but usually reflects on intelligence too. A certain Tam that I thought to come across as not very intelligent, predraft still struggles with the play book.

Quick wit and confident communication skills are far too often underrated.
I've always thought it was a plus to be a good interview but learned my lesson bumping Julio a bit because I thought he was a bit slow between the ears listening to him talk. Some guys just aren't comfortable in front of cameras and/or have a southern drawl to their speech. Doesn't necessarily mean they think any slower or process information any slower so I try not to look too far into it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've always thought it was a plus to be a good interview but learned my lesson bumping Julio a bit because I thought he was a bit slow between the ears listening to him talk. Some guys just aren't comfortable in front of cameras and/or have a southern drawl to their speech. Doesn't necessarily mean they think any slower or process information any slower so I try not to look too far into it.

That is why I said it isn't the be all end all. Some positions are more cerebral than others, and some guys just get too nervous in front of a camera or were brought up with bad slang. I also was hard on Julio for his interviews and was wrong. However if I were to hedge my bets one way or the other I would always lean toward the more intelligent player. Give me Marshall Faulk that knew the role of every player on the offense on every play over Marshawn Lynch any day. Both are good players but the extra knowledge with Marshall being like a coach on the field was so valuable especially for young players. Give me a WR that knows how to run routes and is always in the right spot, I want a Center that knows the protections along with Guards and OTs that do to.

The more that everyone on the field understands their jobs the less likely it is that there are any breakdowns. The Rams have had trouble at receiver for years because too many of them still don't know there jobs like they should and may never get it.

On D we have seen guys that continue to repeat mistakes. They have improved and I am not saying the are incapable of learning from mistakes but with a more intelligent player the chance for making mistakes and knowing the system and playing within it are better.

thehammer

Rookie
some kids I love listening to this year are David Johnson RB, Miles Dieffenbach G, Jeff Heuerman te, Sean Mannion, Jordan Hicks lb, Max Garcia, Joey Mbu and Laken Tomlinson..lot of others but these kids personalities scream future nfl success along with great tape

posted this earlier just found this
Matt Miller‏@nfldraftscout3 hrs3 hours ago
Fun fact on Jeff Heuerman: Ohio State folks told me he's Urban Meyer's favorite player all-time. Including Tim Tebow.

just think he will be a very solid nfl player....