Ogletree to Take Over at Middle Linebacker/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not sold on Tree in the middle. It won't take long to find out if he can get off blocks. Hope he stays healthy. Fisher thinks he is ready so let's see.
For a more athletic guy the temptation will be to step around blocks and try to make plays....which can be just as effective as the block itself. JL had trouble getting off blocks but so has Ogletree. If I am playing the Rams early I am doubling Donald and running right at them. Attack the athletes with power.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Me as well, I was very happy when they landed....particularly where they drafted him. Lucky for the Rams he fell.
With Hayes, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Ogletree, Barron in the front seven that is a very, very athletic front 7. Ayers at LB and depth along the Dline are the only questions then really.
I Trust Fisher/Snead/Williams are not going to let our "D" take a backward step!! It wouldn't surprise me if they go "D" in the 1st round, especially if they can get a Vet QB (ie Cousins of Fitzgerld) in FA!!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams have Laurinaitis' replacement: Alec Ogletree moving to middle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ent-alec-ogletree-moving-to-middle-linebacker

INDIANAPOLIS -- Los Angeles Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree is moving. And not just with his team to southern California.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Wednesday that, as expected, Ogletree is the team's new middle linebacker, a job he inherits from recently-released James Laurinaitis.

"Yes, Alec is going to be our MIC," Fisher said. "Alec, where he was playing before he got hurt at Arizona, I think he was playing, it’s hard to find someone playing behind the ball who was more productive."

When Fisher informed Laurinaitis of his release last Friday, his primary reason for making the move was that he planned to move Ogletree to the middle with the hopes of re-signing Mark Barron to step into Ogletree's vacated spot as the weakside linebacker.

Soon after meeting with Laurinaitis, Fisher discussed the move with Ogletree.

"He's excited," Fisher said. "I’ve had the conversation with him since the difficult time in releasing James and Alec is really excited about moving inside. So he’s been in the building every day and he’s wearing coach [Gregg] Williams out right now."

Alec Ogletree
Alec Ogletree only played in four games last season because of a leg injury.
That's a relationship that only figures to grow closer over the next several months. While Ogletree brings a more athletic, playmaking presence to the position, he has a long way to go to build the acumen to make all the calls and checks necessary to quarterback the defense as Laurinaitis did. In fact, Ogletree has repeatedly pointed to Laurinaitis' influence as a big reason for his development over his first three seasons.

Without Laurinaitis to help guide him, the onus falls on Ogletree to take on that more advanced role, a job that necessitates a lot of quick decisions and study. While Ogletree isn't new to middle linebacker, having played it some at Georgia, Williams brings a much more complex defense with a lot to know from down to down.

"I’m confident that Alec can do it," Fisher said. "Alec is going to get people lined up. He’s going to call the plays. He’s a really smart player. So the question is, as I told James, that was the reason for the decision and our challenge now is be it Mark Barron or whoever else is going to get behind the ball next to Alec, I’m hoping it’s Mark and those few snaps a game when you’ve got to play with three behind the ball, we’ll figure out who that last one is."

Of course, the mental side of things won't be the only adjustment for Ogletree. While some question whether he has the size to play inside, it's worth noting that he's only listed as 3 pounds lighter than Laurinaitis. So it's not really a matter of his size so much as it is his ability and willingness to take on blockers and shed them when things get congested inside.

Regardless, the Rams view Ogletree as a key piece of the defense moving forward and are all but certain to exercise his fifth-year option for 2017 this summer if they can't strike a long-term deal with him first. Those contract conversations are already taking place.

As for Barron, the Rams remain confident they can get him back in free agency and have made him one of their top priorities.

"We really liked Mark coming out, draft-wise," Fisher said. "And we were surprised to some extent that he was available and so we took advantage of it. So we just kind of plugged him in and Gregg is good at moving people around and creating opportunities and then early on in the season unfortunately we lost Alec and Mark's reps increased and I thought he had a really good year. If you see there's a trend in the league for that kind of guy. And we feel he really fits in our defense, so he's a priority from the standpoint of getting him re-signed."

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think too much is expected of the Mike as far as getting off a block. There isn't anyone who can shed blocks instantaneously or 100% of the time. Sometimes it's effective just to be in the way of the runner and force them to find a hole.

Ram65

Legend
For a more athletic guy the temptation will be to step around blocks and try to make plays....which can be just as effective as the block itself. JL had trouble getting off blocks but so has Ogletree. If I am playing the Rams early I am doubling Donald and running right at them. Attack the athletes with power.

I would agree. Ogletree has to show up against the run. I saw JL lineup in bad spots (off to one side) taking himself out of plays. Tree is going to have line every up himself, call plays and make plays. He had some trouble covering space in zone when on the weak side. Hopefully, he can adjust to the middle. He does have a big wingspand and should cover deep better. It suprised me how JL seemed to get deep in zone coverage with limited speed. Is he going to be able to come up and make plays that go underneath? All ROD eyes will be watching the "Ogletree Experiment".

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think people are overreacting to this a bit considering the defense the Rams run. The rams base defense is the 4-3 under, meaning the will and mike LB line up in similar positions off the ball and have similar gap responsibilities (see picture below). Fisher's point is Ogletree excelled in a similar off the ball LB roll last year and this year he is adding the play calling aspects to ogletree's responsibilities so i am glad he is already in the lab working with Greg Williams. Diagram below also highlights how important Brock is to this D. That shade NT position essential for getting the LBs and the rest of the D-line favorable matchups in the run and passing game

4-3_20under_medium.jpg

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are 2 legitimate concerns with Olgetree.
Health... will he be healthy he has some serious health issues. He is very productive but that means little when you are not on the field.
Being the General. I don't know if Olgetree really understand how to call the line adjustments for the defense will he be able to counter what the QB do like JL was able to do. A lot of us didn't really appreciate what James brought to the table. But in GW scheme it's always been about having a cerebral ML because of how complicated his defenses are. His ML numbers take a hit because the defense allows the edge linebackers to stuff the numbers. Just look at what Barron did when he took over.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The whole Ogeltree to middle and Baron staying in trees old spot sounds all fine and dandy and could be amazing... but shouldn't they make sure Barron is signed and delivered before committing to such things?

Would seem to be the prudent thing to do. Looks like no matter what happens to our vacated WSLBer post with Barron being no longer a Ram that the Tree to MLB was already a done deal...sounds to me that decision was made late last season.

Rams do have TJ McDonald returning back to his SS post thus TJ's good replacement Mo Alexander has the 2015 film on what Mark Barron was doing @ his WSLB'er post in Gregg's defense. Mo is more prototype WSLB'er in size being much bigger & thicker than Barron. Alexander could be plan B. In addition Bryce Hager could be be another option too if Barron does not return. Hager does have some speed & range too. There is also the possibility of greatly increasing on field time of our other starting OLB'er Akeem Ayers. Ayers was on the field very little in his first season as a Ram. Ayers is a veteran of 6 seasons so it may be where he could be in the discussion to play full-time with Tree.

Anyway you look at it Alec Ogletree is a major upgrade of skill & talent once the ball is put in play compared with JL.....its a good positive. We need to remember that Rams played most of their defensive snaps with only two Lb'ers on the field in 2015. Also remember the Sam Lb'er came off & Nickle-back DB Joyner came on. 2015 started out as Tree & JL then after the Tree injury it was JL & Barron. Lets just hope its Tree & Barron major upgrade in our LB'ers on the field IMO.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think too much is expected of the Mike as far as getting off a block. There isn't anyone who can shed blocks instantaneously or 100% of the time. Sometimes it's effective just to be in the way of the runner and force them to find a hole.

I think ao will react and move so much faster then jl that olinemen will have a hard time zeroing in on him. i'm sure this is a vast improvement for our df.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There are 2 legitimate concerns with Olgetree.
Health... will he be healthy he has some serious health issues. He is very productive but that means little when you are not on the field.
Being the General. I don't know if Olgetree really understand how to call the line adjustments for the defense will he be able to counter what the QB do like JL was able to do. A lot of us didn't really appreciate what James brought to the table. But in GW scheme it's always been about having a cerebral ML because of how complicated his defenses are. His ML numbers take a hit because the defense allows the edge linebackers to stuff the numbers. Just look at what Barron did when he took over.

I would agree with you that no other active LB'er in the NFL could make the defensive adjustments as well as JL. But Alec is not new to this defense nor is this position all that new to him either. What were Alex Ogletree's "some serious health issues?

The only major injury that Alec has suffered in college was a broken foot in his second season 2011 @ UGA his first @ Inside LB'er. which did not cause any problems since he returned to the field. The next two seasons he did not miss a game @ inside LB'er. Alec first season was as a safety. Alec was a 3 yr starter @ Inside LB'er.

As a pro the only injury experienced by Alec was last season on October 4th that injury surgery on his fractured ankle & fibula. Alec remained on the active roster all season, I really think that Gregg thought JL might need to be replaced before the end of the season but he held on. There has been no issues with this fracture which was at the bottom of the lower leg & top of the ankle. In fact Alec was ready to return to the field wk 17 if need be but there was no reason for him to be active.

You mention what Barron did when he took over for Alec...the talent that Barron show'd from the weakside LB post that was much better than Alec was Barron's ability to presser & blitz the QB. Gregg should have the majority of his defense back as starters in 2016. They know where they should be. I do not see any rookies starting for Gregg in 2016 do you?

jap

Legend

It also helps (as someone previously noted) that 'Tree has two DT studs in Aaron and The Incredible Brock to keep him clean of blockers. His increase in agility, speed, & quickness over the Baby Animal can very well serve to really make him shine in such an environment.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think people are overreacting to this a bit considering the defense the Rams run. The rams base defense is the 4-3 under, meaning the will and mike LB line up in similar positions off the ball and have similar gap responsibilities (see picture below). Fisher's point is Ogletree excelled in a similar off the ball LB roll last year and this year he is adding the play calling aspects to ogletree's responsibilities so i am glad he is already in the lab working with Greg Williams. Diagram below also highlights how important Brock is to this D. That shade NT position essential for getting the LBs and the rest of the D-line favorable matchups in the run and passing game

4-3_20under_medium.jpg
This is why Brockers value way beyond stats to the D.
With Hayes ability to play inside as a rusher as well as at DE if the Rams do draft a DT I would not be surprised if he was more of a run stuffing DT/NT type....or, could just resign Fairley.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

per rotoworld

Alec Ogletree - LB - Rams
The Rams hope to sign contract-year MLB Alec Ogletree long term.

The Rams' newly christened middle linebacker is a born playmaker whose presence was sorely missed after Ogletree broke his leg last season, especially showing up in tight end coverage. Going on 25, Ogletree is due little over $1 million between salary and bonuses in the final year of his rookie contract.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter
Feb 25 - 3:35 PM

RamBill

Legend
Alec Ogletree's Move Inside Could Hurt Linebacker
by Matt LaPan

https://nflspinzone.com/2016/02/26/los-angeles-rams-alec-ogletrees-move-inside-hurt-linebacker/

Following the recent round of veteran cuts in LA – including middle linebacker James Laurinaitis – the Los Angeles Rams have announced plans for outside linebacker Alec Ogletree to take over at the middle linebacker position in the 2016 season.

“Yes, Alec’s going to be our Mike,” coach Jeff Fisher said in a recent press conference. “I’ve had the conversation with him since the difficult time in releasing James, and Alec is really excited about moving inside.” Fisher continued by saying, “As I told James, that was the reason for the decision.”

Ogletree is entering his 4th NFL season out of Georgia and has been playing outside linebacker since he became a Ram. He tallied 100-plus tackles in each of his first two seasons in the NFL and was on pace for 168 tackles in 2015 before an injury ended his season in Week 4.

His combination of size (6-2) and speed made the Georgia native one of the ascending young linebackers in the league. This move to middle linebacker has the potential to be the undoing of all the hard work and progress Ogletree has achieved.

Although Ogletree is the same size, or bigger than eight of the other 14 starting middle linebackers on 4-3 teams in 2015, His style will have to change with a move to the inside. Not only will Ogletree have to take on more responsibility by calling out the defense, he will also have to work through more traffic to get to his tackles.

This could cause big problems for Ogletree – a linebacker who relies on speed and athleticism to make plays in space. This is becoming the calling card of many athletic outside linebackers, but is more rare for inside linebackers.

Ogletree has also shown great skill defending players off the line of scrimmage in the pass game. He does a good job picking up players off the end of the line – but that changes when having to defend from the middle of the field. He will have to rely more on field vision and instincts over his pure coverage skills.

Another factor that could hurt Ogletree’s progress when moving inside is the coverage of the players around him. After having a steady presence in Laurinaitis next to him to start his career, Ogletree will have Akeem Ayers and Mark Barron on either side of him.

Although Barron filled the outside linebacker role well in 2015, he will have to continue to grow into the role in 2016 and could deal with some growing pains. That is if Barron, a free agent, is re-signed by the Rams.

On the other side, Ayers struggle to make the transition to a full-time player in 2015. He tallied just 47 tackles on the season and failed to meet expectations as a pass rusher after a strong 2014 with the New England Patriots.

Ogletree will have to make sure that these two players, and backups such as Darren Bates, Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch are in the correct spot and have the correct assignments. This will hinder his own ability to align himself correctly as he learns how to play inside.

With the move announced, and the priority in free agency lying in the defensive backfield, the Rams could be hindering the progress of one of their young defensive stars by moving Ogletree to middle linebacker in 2016.

RamBill

Legend
Pros & Cons of Moving Ogletree to MLB
By Sean Wilkinson

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2...ec-ogletree-middle-linebacker-mlb-mark-barron

I don't know a Rams fan who doesn't love Alec Ogletree. He's a great example of how ultra-athletic players have begun taking over the NFL - particularly at OLB. With that in mind, the Rams desire to move him to the recently vacated MLB spot seemed curious.

The issue has somewhat divided Rams fans, and I can see both sides to the argument. Let's take a closer look...

Pros

Experience at MLB

While the SEC isn't the NFL, it's the closest thing to it in the NCAA ranks. Having experience playing MLB earlier in his career will make the transition a little easier.

Athletic Ability

It's no secret that 'Tree is incredibly athletic. He can be a sideline-to-sideline difference maker in the middle - as long as he doesn't get lost in the congestion. We've seen him be a tackling machine, he can hold his own in coverage, and he can lay the big hits too. If he can put it all together, this could be a VERY good move for the Rams. Best case senario? Think Luke Kuechly lite

Knowledge and Versatility

His experience at OLB, MLB, and S at various points in his playing career will behoove him in his role as QB of the D. With experience at several different positions, he should be able to more easily relate concepts to teammates on the field.

Cons

Leaves Rams Vulnerable if Barron Walks

The obvious question with the move is: Who fills in for Ogletree? The Rams have made it clear that they want Mark Barron back, but what happens if they're unable to come to terms? That would leave a potentially larger hole than JL55 left at MLB. In the wake of this move, the Rams would be wise to prioritize Barron when thinking about Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins' contracts.

Threat of Losing Athleticism

MLBs aren't necessarily known for their athleticism. Fans are much more accustomed to seeing players like Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher quarterbacking defenses with the new age players like Kuechly being the exception not the rule.

That's not to take anything away from Lewis and Urlacher - they both had HOF caliber careers. But they weren't the type of athlete that Ogletree or Kuechly are either. There's no guarantee that 'Tree can transition his athleticism to MLB like the Panthers star has.

Learning Curve of Williams D

Gregg Williams' defenses are no joke. Having to pilot the scheme, the alignments, the blitzes, the audibles, etc. is a lot to handle. JL55 proved to be an extension of Williams during their time together. Ogletree is a smart player, but how will he handle the increased responsibility?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Lewis and Urlacher were damn good athletes in their own right. Urlacher ran the 40 in 4.59 at 259 pounds. He was one of the most impressive athletes for his size at the time. That's what helped him be able to cover all that space in the middle of Lovie's Tampa 2. Lewis ran under 4.6 at his pro day as well so the athleticism argument is magnified now IMO. You need a guy who can turn and run to play great in the Middle these days, especially in a 4-3.

I have little doubt Tree will out play JL55 of 2015. My question is how much better will he be and can Barron sustain that level of play at Weakside? I hope they draft an OLB for depth behind Barron.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I found the negative comments by Matt LaPan on Akeem Ayers were incorrect. "Ayers struggle to make the transition to a full-time player in 2015". The other comment was "He tallied just 47 tackles on the season" May I offer this up here...first Ayers came off the field very fast & often. You can't make tackles when your standing on the sideline. DB Lamarcus Joyner the Nickle Back was on the field much more often than Ayers who played the Sam LB'ers post. Not because Ayers struggled. The other thrown down comment was "failed to meet expectations as a pass rusher after a strong 2014 with the New England Patriots"....how often did we see asked to rush the passer???? Just about ZERO.

I feel pretty conformable in saying IF Ayers is tasked to play more roles in this 2016 defense with Ogletree inside he is more than capable to perform those task without any concerns! Sorry I could not let that go without saying something on my Ram.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Not too concerned with this move. I saw a few signs early last year that had me thinking Alec could play the middle. What concerns me is our depth, or lack of depth, and I suppose thats why we have Greg Williams. Eventually though, even Williams will run out of decent chess pieces so I'm assuming the position will be addressed via mid range free agency.

We have Ogletree, Barron and Ayers. Backups Hagar, Bates, Lynch off the top of my head, with free agency and the draft still ahead.

You know Snisher is going to infuse talent and competition into this group. "Relax my little friend. This will only hurt for a moment." :mrburns: