OC Poll ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you believe Marshall Faulk could become a successful OC here?

• YES

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • NO

Votes: 51 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, I got skewered on this poll, thought more people would be into it. While I agree Faulk might not be interested, it shouldn't be from a salary standpoint as Kroenke pays his OC's/DC's well. Not sure what the NFL Network pays, could be near equivalent, although i'd be surprised. With some of the names i've seen mentioned, i'd prefer Faulk, and since he wouldn't be calling offensive plays on the field, maybe double duty as a RB's coach. Should he ever want to HC, learning under McVay/Phillips couldn't hurt his opportunity to learn. jmo.

FRO

Legend
What about Dennison from Denver? The Rams don't need a brilliant play caller, they hired one for HC, but Dennison is a qualified candidate and he comes from the Shanahan tree.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, Faulk wants to be part of the Front Office and I would embrace such a thing, however, if Wes Phillips became offensive coordinator and Kurt Warner QB Coach, now that would be quite exciting IMHO.

TexasRam

Legend
shaking_head_disgust_keanu_reeves.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't deserve it's own thread but I just saw Houston fired their OC. Clearly he's the GM/O'Brien's fall guy for how bad Brock is.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Working under McVay's offensive scheme and play calling, do you believe Marshall Faulk could become a successful OC for the Rams ?

I'll go with yes.

McVay has already said he is going to call his own plays.
Which in my opinion just increases the chances that he will fail as a HC.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
No .. .he needs to start as a position coach first, before you give him the keys to an offense. talking football and coaching it are two different things. Not that I think Marshall couldn't, but he needs to first learn to "coach" then work up to it. TV is a pretty easy gig for him right now compared to the rigors of coaching. Not even sure he would want to. I'm sure he has been approached before.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Voted "no."
I'd like to seem him cut his teeth in positional coaching first.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Voted 'yes'. Marshall can do anything

But, will he? I vote 'no'

I just can't see him as a position coach or coordinator because he's not one to acquiesce. He was the 'coach on the field' and nobody questioned it. It won't be that way as a RB coach or OC

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has already said he is going to call his own plays.
Which in my opinion just increases the chances that he will fail as a HC.

Didnt hurt Adam Gase season just gone .. youngest head coach (at the time) 1st year HC called his own plays and went to the playoffs

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The best option and fit for the Rams would be Callahan, no question, because he'd have our OL whipped into shape pretty quickly. Rumors still persist about him, but I agree it's unlikely and the Skins would be stupid to let him go.

It will probably be a run game expert, but doesn't need to be. The OL coach can still perform those duties under an OC who compiles and schemes under McVay. And I think a guy like Faulk would be fine as a RB coach, again provided he actually wants to do it which I doubt. Same deal with Manning for that matter, and the QB coach position, and in his case he doesn't have a cushy analyst job so there's probably a greater chance he gets into coaching than Marshall does.

Either way McVay gives you a little leeway on the offensive side of the ball. But IMO what he's going to look for is a coach who will crunch the F out of the tape, someone hungry like he was who will lessen that gameplan burden just a little.