O-line??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My suggestion is to follow your own advice and put me on ignore.

Love your camp reports, CoachO...you've turned into your friend thehammer. You're attitude that you know more than everyone else is exactly why I made the screen name I did. You act like you are better than everyone and deserve to be treated as such.
got it,,,, thanks for YOUR advice.

BTW,, I am not the one making comments about WHAT THE TEAM HAS TO DO OR ELSE!!! but I am the "know it all"?

I am not the one who started a thread asking for people's thoughts on the #2 draft pick not starting, then go on for 12 pages trying to defend YOUR position on it, when almost everyone who replied to you, disagreed with you.

And you can say what you want about your choice of screenenames, but it says a whole lot more about YOU than anything I can.

Anyway,,, this is not what THIS forum is supposed to be about. So I'm done. Carry on!

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
So you're sick of wallowing in mediocrity but you'd be happy with a season WORSE than 7-9?? That makes no sense! Jake Long was our best O-lineman last. He's an elite talent who's suffered with injury and is obviously rusty and not up to speed. The rest of the o-line hasn't gelled yet. We're one game into the season.

As dbrooks says - no ones proud of a 7-9 season, or a 7-7-1. But it could be worse. If we go around knee-jerking then it will be worse.

Thank you, THAT was my point. Turning this into a "you're satisfied with 7-9" thing means someone wasn't paying attention to my original post. Point was that Jake Long wasn't a bad signing and it could have been/could be a lot worse without him.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
got it,,,, thanks for YOUR advice.

BTW,, I am not the one making comments about WHAT THE TEAM HAS TO DO OR ELSE!!! but I am the "know it all"?
It's called keeping it relative. I didn't say "or else"...you did.

My comment was more in respect that if they don't get Greg Robinson ready to play LT they are going to be behind in that area again down the road.

You are the one wanting to create the "or else" attitude.

Athos

Legend
Wells must go. Seems like a really wasted roster spot.

It really is time for Barnes. My preference, though I'm not sure if he's coming out next year or what, might be Evan Boehm from Mizzou. Stud.

Davin Joseph is horrible. Saffold is disappointing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Center is an issue - but I don't think Barnes is the answer.

Lets be fair though - not only did this unit not have a lot of time to gel - they were out game planned by the Vikings coaches.

Alan

Legend
Athos liking Barnes:
Wells must go. Seems like a really wasted roster spot.

It really is time for Barnes. My preference, though I'm not sure if he's coming out next year or what, might be Evan Boehm from Mizzou. Stud.

Davin Joseph is horrible. Saffold is disappointing.

If you mean that Wells should be demoted to second string then I might be with you on that. Keep in mind that Barnes hasn't been looking good so do we really gain anything with a switch?

When you talk about Wells being a wasted roster spot I'm not with you at all. Who do we have backing up Barnes if we let Wells go? There are no good options other than those two. At least not until Jones gets healthy and I'm not betting my house (or anything else that has any value) on him being any good when he is finally healthy.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Who do we have backing up Barnes if we let Wells go? There are no good options other than those two. At least not until Jones gets healthy and I'm not betting my house (or anything else that has any value) on him being any good when he is finally healthy.
In the NFL you have to have a plan for every position but with limited draft picks/roster space/salary cap sometimes the success of that plan just seems to come down to luck. I am constantly amazed at how the Rams' best plans go awry, the center position really is a shining example. They overspent on Wells and he promptly wasted the money on injuries. They picked up B.Jones as a potential "redshirt" steal and it's gotten nothing. They developed Barnes over time and he's gone nowhere. They even picked up Rhaney and he came and went. It's kind of at the point of wondering what else could they do? At this point even had they spent a first round pick on a C, it would have been a bust, or if they signed Alex Mack he would have broken his back tying his shoe or something. It just seems it's year after year of the same bad luck before Bou has to duct tape something totally unplanned that works, but by that time the season is over.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So you're sick of wallowing in mediocrity but you'd be happy with a season WORSE than 7-9?? That makes no sense! Jake Long was our best O-lineman last. He's an elite talent who's suffered with injury and is obviously rusty and not up to speed. The rest of the o-line hasn't gelled yet. We're one game into the season.

As dbrooks says - no ones proud of a 7-9 season, or a 7-7-1. But it could be worse. If we go around knee-jerking then it will be worse.
No, no, no...I'm just saying I don't want to rationalize one bad situation by pointing to something in the past.

Perhaps if they had not signed Jake Long/made that the focus last year they would have formed a different plan with a different personnel decision.

I mean, they didn't have Jake Long the season before and finished 7-8-1...so I think it is safe to say that Jake Long hasn't been the guy to push the team over the top. He played pretty good last year, no doubt...and I won't discount that.

I'd like to see some of our draft picks start to play along the offensive line...and by that, I mean I'd like to see some of these guys with their potential come to fruition. I think that is paramount for the Rams current and future success. We can't keep going out and signing former all-pros that are breaking down and expecting them to be all-pros again. Those type of guys make good backup plans, but hard when you are expecting that work for 3 of your 5 offensive line starters.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone is proud of the 7-9 season. Just saying it would have been way worse without the solid play at the LT position. That's you assuming that some of us are satisfied with the mediocrity. Jake long was solid last season and is coming off of a freaking acl. That's all I'm saying.
I don't think you are saying you're satisfied with that. I just don't want go with the premise that we are good with Jake Long simply because he was our starter for a 7-9 team. I'd be more willing to accept an aging player this season if his contributions helped us be a 10-6 team last year or something like that.

I think the Rams need Greg Robinson to be what we thought he was when drafted. And we need Rodger Saffold to be healthy. I think it would go a long way also if Barrett Jones were to get healthy and compete for playing time too.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams need Greg Robinson to be what we thought he was when drafted. And we need Rodger Saffold to be healthy. I think it would go a long way also if Barrett Jones were to get healthy and compete for playing time too.

Truth be told, I think we the FO drafted Robinson, they envisioned him being a LG this year. Long term possibly LT or even RT. There is no tape on him from Auburn in which he was on an island pass blocking.

I believe they drafted the guy with the highest ceiling and that is clearly Robinson. That being said, they knew there would be work to be done with Robinson and that is why he is not starting. I preferred Matthews on draft day but give Coach Boo a couple of years with Robinson and I think you could have a special player. Your just not going to have the immediate gratification.

Alan

Legend
Fatbot with many valid observations:
In the NFL you have to have a plan for every position but with limited draft picks/roster space/salary cap sometimes the success of that plan just seems to come down to luck. I am constantly amazed at how the Rams' best plans go awry, the center position really is a shining example. They overspent on Wells and he promptly wasted the money on injuries. They picked up B.Jones as a potential "redshirt" steal and it's gotten nothing. They developed Barnes over time and he's gone nowhere. They even picked up Rhaney and he came and went. It's kind of at the point of wondering what else could they do? At this point even had they spent a first round pick on a C, it would have been a bust, or if they signed Alex Mack he would have broken his back tying his shoe or something. It just seems it's year after year of the same bad luck before Bou has to duct tape something totally unplanned that works, but by that time the season is over.
images
images
images
images

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Truth be told, 2014 is the first year that the current organization has spent a first round pick on the offensive line.

Barret Jones was a fourth round pick and Rhaney was a 7th, Watkins a 5th. I honestly wanted a linebacker more than anything, and would have preferred Matthews over Robinson, but I can't blame them for picking a player they thought would have a higher ceiling.

Anyway, I'm not surprised or disappointed that he couldn't start from day one and I doubt anyone else drafted in that slot would have changed the outcome of the game any more in our favor.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Deep breath everybody this too shall pass.

Ok I took your first piece of advice & started coughing now a question for you what will pass?:confused:

The OL issues will pass??? Hope I do not have to hold my breath waiting for the OL problems to pass its been an issue for a decade or better.;)

Anyone who has been a Ram fan even if just for a decade or less has a ton of experience of handling disappointment & the constant ongoing issues year after year with Rams OL's nothing new around here. Matter of fact the OL negative issues have been one Ram consistency for a while now.

This veteran unit was man handled Sunday by a decent front four. The Viks DC did not need to worry too much about the back seven having to help out the DL cause they were getting the job done the majority of the time. Rams with 3 pro bowlers & two good young vets with a good amount of experience certainly failed as an overall unit. This unit is our most seasoned & one of the Rams most costly units. They should be ashamed of their overall play & lack of performance.

Not sure if I could legitimately find a reason or excuse that I could throw out there to cool the fire from Ram fans. The best I could do is this unit has not been together much this OTA/TC & pre season. But this unit only has one new Ram starting so the other four have played together so that really does not carry that much water.

Wells & Joseph were weak & beaten often the back ups to these two posts would not fair any better. The rest were not much better. Robinson was beat repeatedly when he came in for the injured Saffold. Sad Sad performance from this unit period.

My only hope is this loss puts a serious fire in the belly of these big guys cause in truth with the QB situation all hope for a decent season falls onto those five OL'ers shoulders.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While it was a general statement I didn't mean too make you cough. It was directed at the two posters who were about too rip each others throats out. Seen enough of that on other boards to last me a lifetime.
Ok I took your first piece of advice & started coughing now a question for you what will pass?:confused:

The OL issues will pass??? Hope I do not have to hold my breath waiting for the OL problems to pass its been an issue for a decade or better.;)

Anyone who has been a Ram fan even if just for a decade or less has a ton of experience of handling disappointment & the constant ongoing issues year after year with Rams OL's nothing new around here. Matter of fact the OL negative issues have been one Ram consistency for a while now.

This veteran unit was man handled Sunday by a decent front four. The Viks DC did not need to worry too much about the back seven having to help out the DL cause they were getting the job done the majority of the time. Rams with 3 pro bowlers & two good young vets with a good amount of experience certainly failed as an overall unit. This unit is our most seasoned & one of the Rams most costly units. They should be ashamed of their overall play & lack of performance.

Not sure if I could legitimately find a reason or excuse that I could throw out there to cool the fire from Ram fans. The best I could do is this unit has not been together much this OTA/TC & pre season. But this unit only has one new Ram starting so the other four have played together so that really does not carry that much water.

Wells & Joseph were weak & beaten often the back ups to these two posts would not fair any better. The rest were not much better. Robinson was beat repeatedly when he came in for the injured Saffold. Sad Sad performance from this unit period.

My only hope is this loss puts a serious fire in the belly of these big guys cause in truth with the QB situation all hope for a decent season falls onto those five OL'ers shoulders.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While it was a general statement I didn't mean too make you cough. It was directed at the two posters who were about too rip each others throats out. Seen enough of that on other boards to last me a lifetime.

Could be they had beaten themselves up so bad they needed in the worse way to move on to another so they could still function as a human being:D.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Speaking of Saffold...any official report on which body part got dinged up yesterday?

Ramathon

fisher has disregarded the o line since he's been here. He's picked up JAke Long (wasn't thrilled) and grabbed G Rob, but other than that he has focused on defense much more. If this trend continues it's going to be a problem for a long period of time.

Not entirely true. He did sign Wells and found Barksdale. Not that that's worth bragging about at this point.