Now THAT'S a crap call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The rule hurt me.. cost me 5 pts in fantasy football.. and I hate the fookin patriots.

But objectivity doesn't win hearts and minds.
I hate that fucking team, also....including fantasy.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The rule isn't hard to understand until you see it in action. And then you have a lot of nonsensical rulings where a guy clearly caught the ball and made a move to score but ends up with an incomplete pass, like today.

I think it's stupid that you're going to ask a receiver who has caught the ball to pass up a TD or first down conversion in order to avoid overturning a stupid rule. It's not a hard call to make. It's an easy call to make. Did he get his feet down? If yes, did he make a football move? If yes, it's a catch. Did the ball get into the end-zone? If yes, it's a TD. If no, was he down by contact when it got knocked out? If no, that's a fumble.

It's very simple, and it would prevent the asinine results that end up with people ticked off because a clear catch was turned into an incomplete pass.

It's easy to sit here and say, "Hold onto the ball." But you're not the NFL player catching the ball in the final seconds who is trying to make sure he gets into the end-zone instead of touched down at the one yard-line.

P.S. You already have to distinguish between a fumble and an incomplete pass.
I know I'm not an NFL player, but I bet I can Moss your ass 1-on-1 and not lose control of the ball. ;)

All jokes aside, you can still make a pivotal play without losing control of the ball. I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one, but I don't think a "football move" is cookie-cutter and will be left to the discretion of the ref.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know I'm not an NFL player, but I bet I can Moss your ass 1-on-1 and not lose control of the ball. ;)

All jokes aside, you can still make a pivotal play without losing control of the ball. I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one, but I don't think a "football move" is cookie-cutter and will be left to the discretion of the ref.

A "football move" isn't any harder to define than "going to the ground" or "maintained possession."

Nah uh. If you try to Moss me, I'm undercutting you. ;)

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi
Only the NFL could obfuscate what a catch is. That play was a Touchdown in any reality except the NFL’s reality where they are too dumb to understand that catching the ball is a catch. The old rule was fine. The Rodney Kingesque breakdown is as erroneous as the jurors buying that crap that was shoveled by the prosecutors 25+ years ago. Can’t wait for the NFL to fall apart with all the current turmoil and CTE

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with @jrry32 here. If you make a football move, then it's a catch, similar to the ground can't cause a fumble, ESPECIALLY>>>if in the end zone. IMO. 2 feet down, football move. I'm good. I understand that.

i think falling to the ground takes precedence over football move.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many videos of examples proving it's NOT enforced uniformly to do ya need?

This is one topic where people have made tons of hay making videos EXPRESSLY proving that it's NOT uniformly enforced.

The video showing Calvin Johnson's catch being overturned, but Victor Cruz's was upheld that's just posted above is just one example.

that's on the officials, not the rule. it's like trying to work out why they don't call holding on quinn but used to flag grob for the most ticky tack of holds.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many videos of examples proving it's NOT enforced uniformly to do ya need?

This is one topic where people have made tons of hay making videos EXPRESSLY proving that it's NOT uniformly enforced.

The video showing Calvin Johnson's catch being overturned, but Victor Cruz's was upheld that's just posted above is just one example.
What do outdated videos have to do with the current season? They have re-written the rule several times since the Dez catch fiasco. Under the current rules in place since 2016 they have called them uniformly.
Uniformly incorrrect as it may be but in accordance to the rules

Debacled

Starter
I feel like if it were any other team than the Patriots this wouldn't even be a discussion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL hope you are joking...fearing you are not.

thems the rules.

football move relates to the receiver getting hit as he catches the ball and the ball gets dislodged from his grasp. got rid of alot of fumble calls when receivers got lit up.

falling down rule came about because there was alot of controversy about if the receiver had control of the ball falling out of bounds or falling to the ground anywhere on the field.

there are no easy solutions because all these calls are very subjective. difficult to make a black and white decision on some of them, thus the controversy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
thems the rules.

football move relates to the receiver getting hit as he catches the ball and the ball gets dislodged from his grasp. got rid of alot of fumble calls when receivers got lit up.

falling down rule came about because there was alot of controversy about if the receiver had control of the ball falling out of bounds or falling to the ground anywhere on the field.

there are no easy solutions because all these calls are very subjective. difficult to make a black and white decision on some of them, thus the controversy.

Use the same rules as everybody else on the field. Possess the ball, make a football move, and either keep the ball going to the ground, or lose it. Not brain surgery, for gosh sakes. Ground can't cause a fumble. A fumble can't occur if you don't posses the ball. Dual possession, is always awarded to the offensive player. Pretty fucking clear to me.

The rule is ONLY subjective, so the NFL can try to control the game. The rule is as clear as a ghost.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A fumble can'r occur if you don't posses the ball.

and there it is. they're trying to work out if the receiver possessed the ball. that's where the subjectivity comes into play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
and there it is. they're trying to work out if the receiver possessed the ball. that's where the subjectivity comes into play.

It's easy. Make a football move, two feet, clear possession, and it's a catch.

Again, it's not difficult, unless the NFL wants it to be, to control games.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Catch, two feet, get lit up, before you are down...fumble.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I feel like if it were any other team than the Patriots this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Actually I was thinking the exact opposite because it was the Steelers IMO, the NFL will act, if it happened against the Cincinnati Bengals for example, the NFL would not act.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Diving, but ball comes out, or moving, as you try to make the catch, INC.