No Excuses For Rams. Just Look at Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
A 5 year plan is very gracious!

Bet most rookie head coaches and GMs (regardless of their "inheritance) would love that long.

Agreed, but I guess the point I was trying to make is: Fisher & Snead have built this team's roster to finally be comparable to the one Arians STARTED with. ESPN (for what it's worth) has us at #19, better than 13 other teams (and the 1-2 Seahawks are #7....smh). This team is VERY, VERY close. If we don't have a winning record by the end of the year, I can make a case that they're on the hot seat, but otherwise, to me, they get at least 1 more season (this one).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed, but I guess the point I was trying to make is: Fisher & Snead have built this team's roster to finally be comparable to the one Arians STARTED with. ESPN (for what it's worth) has us at #19, better than 13 other teams (and the 1-2 Seahawks are #7....smh). This team is VERY, VERY close. If we don't have a winning record by the end of the year, I can make a case that they're on the hot seat, but otherwise, to me, they get at least 1 more season (this one).
I just have to take it one game at a time.

Hope they score a "W" Sunday!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just pointing out the obvious; You feel we seem "cocky", but I'm just letting you know that the Cardinals have kind of turned things around. The Cardinals are a winning franchise now. Pointing out the team's W/L records from 1984 is kind of irrelevant.

And playing a third string (practice squad) RB. And with a less than 50% Tyrann Mathieu, who I think will be a Pro Bowler this year and will get some distant consideration for Defensive MVP this year, he is that good.

Palmer WAS an elite QB prior to his first ACL tear. He was a multi-Pro Bowl QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. I think Palmer's situation is shaping up much like Warner's did: a Qb who had a lot of success early in his career, faced mid-career injuries that affected his performance, rededicated himself late career. I think if Palmer keeps it up and stays healthy he IS an elite QB right now.

Regardless of what you think, he is a top QB right now. That is objective fact based on his performance.

So the Cardinals are significantly better with Carson Palmer? I mean, we were a dumpster fire once we started Ryan Lindley.

The Cardinals have gone 3-1 against the Rams under both team's current regime. What happened on Whisenhunt isn't at all relevant. Only like 6 or 7 players from those teams are still around.

Honestly, I don't think Nick Foles is a good NFL QB. I think he is much closer to Kellen Clemens than Rams fans want to admit. He's a guy who fill the stat sheet, but lose when the game counts. So this talk of "The Cardinals are 0-1 when a real starting QB is playing" is ridiculous. N

I'm sorry that I'm not bowing to the mighty greatness of the Rams....Nick Foles is the best QB in the NFL! The Rams WRs are LEET!

Dominated like a good team should.

How am I (or we) being disrespectful of the Rams? I stated that Fisher had a losing record as a coach and got smacked down for that. I don't see how stating objective fact is disrespect.

I stated one time (and was warned and will refrain from now), that the Rams WR corps is a dumpster fire. I think most fans would agree that the Rams have a bottom five ranked WR corps. That is objective fact based on historical (and current) performance.

Are you serious? Have you looked at Palmer's performance this year? He IS right with Brady/Rodgers right now. And his stats are BETTER than Roethlisbergers. It's not a fluke; he has legitimately played that well. Yes I will say it, and I'm supported by FACTS. Palmer is an elite QB right now.

Fair enough. You will see this weekend, and I'm not saying this in a cocky manner. You sound exactly like Saints fans did, and Bears fans, and 49ers fans. They all said exactly the same thing you guys are saying.

What are you talking about? I'm telling you that the Cardinals will win the game. So I will see this weekend that I was right? I'm confused.

Palmer has played GREAT. Flacco had a historic stretch a few years ago and won a superbowl - and then came back down to reality. One year Derek Anderson had a really good year for the Browns. Palmer is playing elite football right now, but he is not elite. I don't see how you could argue this:

http://www.nfl.com/player/carsonpalmer/2505245/careerstats

Only once has he finished a season (injury or not) with a passer rating above 100. Only 4 times has he passed for over 4000 yards in a season. Only once has he passed for 30+ TDs in a season. So RIGHT NOW, he is playing elite. You've also played three of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. So I'll say again, you lose credibility trying to argue that he's "elite". Even if you go by wins and losses, he's never won a playoff game.

I'd wager I'm giving the Cards a lot more credit than those fans did - I've been saying we have almost no chance to win. I've never said our team was "all that". I still think you're offbase on our WRs....we're not bottom 5. I'm not saying they're above average, they're below average - but not bottom 5.

I never said you should bow to the greatness of the Rams. I think we actually largely agree on the Rams, minus Foles, the WRs, and the secondary...I think Foles is an average NFL QB; same opinion I have of Carson Palmer. Who you play, and who you play around, makes a huge difference.

I think you overrate your own team quite a bit, but I probably would do if my team started off this year like yours has.

ram007

Starter
Some of the cards fans are obnoxious. F them. With quick back, Rams are full strength offensively. Who will they stop now? Quick? Britt? Tavon? Givens Bailey? Gurley? Mason? With your mediocre defense. And we are coming after you defensively.

Be your best and it still won't matter. Rams will never trail in 59-0 Rams win on Sunday

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you are who I think you are, then how can you act like you weren't trolling our board when you had an avatar of Calvin pissing on the Cardinals logo? Stay classy....

And the comment that Ramzfanz was making on our board would get a Cardinals fan BANNED on this board.
You like that? That's a fresh avi i left as a going away present. I posted there for 8 years as a member just like you. Never trolled anyone. I'm just done with it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't help it if the proverb has been bastardized over the years or is simply wrong. Attracting flies with honey would be like saying "busy as a sloth".

But let's take a look at it - shall we?. You can try attracting flies with honey and you know what you are going to get? Maybe a couple fruit flies but no real flies at all. The simple fact is that though the idea that honey is sweeter and therefore would be an attractant for flies, it just isn't the case. Now vinegar is also not a good attractant for your standard house fly but is a very good attractant for fruit flies. You can catch a butt load of fruit flies by using vinegar. In fact, most fruit fly traps contain vinegar as their main attractant with just a little bit of soap in it to kill the flies.

I think it should be duly noted that as such is the case, you are actually going to catch more flies with vinegar than you would with honey rendering the idea that the saying is not only inaccurate but in fact a misconstruction of the real saying that interchanges bees and bears much like the saying "busy as a bee" can be said as "busy as a beaver".

Now if you are a bear hunter, you know that baiting them is done with a combination of cooking oil and honey. Therefore, what are you doing? You are trying to attract more bears by using honey. What did Whinny the Pooh love more than anything in the world? Honey. What caused him to get stuck? His overwhelming attraction to honey.

Now - when bee keepers, before the use of pheromones, wanted to attract new bees for their hives, what do you think they used? That's right - honey. In fact, if you put honey out on a warm sunny day, you will very quickly find bees buzzing around. What you won't find is flies. Well - unless you happen to either combine it with crap or have an unfortunately placed pile of crap nearby.

I understand that you would be confused just as the many people who misuse the saying each and every day but it is never too late to correct your misdirected ways. I believe you should see now why the saying is being wrongly used and what once was indeed based on the reality of attracting bees and bears is now FUBARed by yet another example of generations mixing up their metaphors.

I actually think that if I put out honey that I will catch flies. They sure like the sweet soda on the rim of my glass and the glazed donuts from dunkin donuts. They seem to like sweet stuff as much as they like shit. In fact I once swatted a fly sitting on the edge of my Honey jar. I wasn't too happy about it but I doubt he was there for a rest. Vinegar may attract them, but if I had to put odds on a dish of honey and a dish of vinegar there would be more standard house flies in the honey, therefore making the saying true.. Fruit flies are not the topic of the saying though. Otherwise it would be 'You can catch more Fruit flies with vinegar than you can with honey'.

BTW: I am not sure how the bearhunting stuff got in here but, I have family that went to Maine to hunt bears and they bait them with apples and corn. Or so that is what the guides in Maine told them would work best. I am sure they would eat honey too because they eat just about anything that is edible, they absolutely love dirty diapers. If I was to bait a bear then dirty diapers might be my bait of choice.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fair enough. You will see this weekend, and I'm not saying this in a cocky manner. You sound exactly like Saints fans did, and Bears fans, and 49ers fans. They all said exactly the same thing you guys are saying.

And you sound exactly like we did before the Skins game. I love the mentality of your team, I like how your team does what it needs to, but I think you overrate most every position on your team. Switch coaching staffs and we beat you every game. IMO of course. And of course we can't switch coaching staffs, but the closer to Sunday I get the more I think this may be an even game. We keep our heads up our asses for a lot of games, but these kind of division games against swaggering opponents we usually remove them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sorry Doc, but did I miss this stretch of games? I liked Bradford, and rooted my heart out for him, but I would not...in a million years classify his play as elite. I am not sure he even had an elite game in my eyes. Closest one would probably be the win at home against the Skins a couple of years ago. Man was that a great Rams game. So few and far between....
I won't hold it against you for missing the games, he played very well. ;) It is certainly debatable, but I think that both us, and Philly, would be playing better, currently, than we both are.

I completely understand the trade, and I truly hope it greatly benefits us, in the future. I hope we end up with the better part of the deal, and I will factor in all we gained, not just the QB swap.

We may see Bradford different, because I don't really factor in stats, except for wins. I think he did the best, with what we had, while he was healthy. It was a short sample, though.

And I'm not crying about it. I'll stand behind Foles, and cut him the same slack, until I think he doesn't deserve it anymore. Of course, my opinion will be completely biased, by how I evaluate a player.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I actually think that if I put out honey that I will catch flies. They sure like the sweet soda on the rim of my glass and the glazed donuts from dunkin donuts. They seem to like sweet stuff as much as they like crap. In fact I once swatted a fly sitting on the edge of my Honey jar. I wasn't too happy about it but I doubt he was there for a rest. Vinegar may attract them, but if I had to put odds on a dish of honey and a dish of vinegar there would be more standard house flies in the honey, therefore making the saying true.. Fruit flies are not the topic of the saying though. Otherwise it would be 'You can catch more Fruit flies with vinegar than you can with honey'.

BTW: I am not sure how the bearhunting stuff got in here but, I have family that went to Maine to hunt bears and they bait them with apples and corn. Or so that is what the guides in Maine told them would work best. I am sure they would eat honey too because they eat just about anything that is edible, they absolutely love dirty diapers. If I was to bait a bear then dirty diapers might be my bait of choice.
Someone needs to write those myth buster guys and finally get to the bottom of the great Shit vs Honey debate of 2015.

Name
Tom
What are you talking about? I'm telling you that the Cardinals will win the game. So I will see this weekend that I was right? I'm confused.

Palmer has played GREAT. Flacco had a historic stretch a few years ago and won a superbowl - and then came back down to reality. One year Derek Anderson had a really good year for the Browns. Palmer is playing elite football right now, but he is not elite. I don't see how you could argue this:

http://www.nfl.com/player/carsonpalmer/2505245/careerstats

Only once has he finished a season (injury or not) with a passer rating above 100. Only 4 times has he passed for over 4000 yards in a season. Only once has he passed for 30+ TDs in a season. So RIGHT NOW, he is playing elite. You've also played three of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. So I'll say again, you lose credibility trying to argue that he's "elite". Even if you go by wins and losses, he's never won a playoff game.

I'd wager I'm giving the Cards a lot more credit than those fans did - I've been saying we have almost no chance to win. I've never said our team was "all that". I still think you're offbase on our WRs....we're not bottom 5. I'm not saying they're above average, they're below average - but not bottom 5.

I never said you should bow to the greatness of the Rams. I think we actually largely agree on the Rams, minus Foles, the WRs, and the secondary...I think Foles is an average NFL QB; same opinion I have of Carson Palmer. Who you play, and who you play around, makes a huge difference.

I think you overrate your own team quite a bit, but I probably would do if my team started off this year like yours has.

I guess we agree to disagree...I think Palmer is playing at an elite level, and is in fact an elite QB right now, and you don't.

Name
Tom
And you sound exactly like we did before the Skins game. I love the mentality of your team, I like how your team does what it needs to, but I think you overrate most every position on your team. Switch coaching staffs and we beat you every game. IMO of course. And of course we can't switch coaching staffs, but the closer to Sunday I get the more I think this may be an even game. We keep our heads up our asses for a lot of games, but these kind of division games against swaggering opponents we usually remove them.

The game will decide this.

That might be the case (if we switched coaching staffs), which is why I want the Rams to keep Jeff Fisher as long as possible. I know whenever I watch the Rams, it's like watching a football team from the 90's. I can't help but feel that the game has passed Fisher by.

I'm having fun Rams fans, you guys have been gracious. I can say, that outside of my sheer hatred for Gregg Williams and my belief that he should have been banned for life, the Rams are my favorite opponent in the NFC West. I have no ill will towards the Rams, like I do for the 9ers and the Seahawks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

That might be the case (if we switched coaching staffs), which is why I want the Rams to keep Jeff Fisher as long as possible. I know whenever I watch the Rams, it's like watching a football team from the 90's. I can't help but feel that the game has passed Fisher by.

I'm having fun Rams fans, you guys have been gracious. I can say, that outside of my sheer hatred for Gregg Williams and my belief that he should have been banned for life, the Rams are my favorite opponent in the NFC West. I have no ill will towards the Rams, like I do for the 9ers and the Seahawks.
I hope we keep Fisher too, and win with him, because when that happens, it will be a good rivalry, because there is no love lost between Fisher, and Arians.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stanton was 5-3 during Carson's absense :p

And then he got hurt and the team went 0-2 with Lindley.

So 5-5 without Palmer.

He is the key to the season, and I'm certain that if something happened (I am NOT wishing for it let me say that right now) AZ fans would not be comfy with Stanton leading the O for the rest of the year.

Essentially any playoff aspirations would be kaput don't you think?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Why do you feel like the game has passed him by? In what way?

FYI, I have the same feelings about Williams, but he's now a part of the "family" so like the azzhole uncle you have to live with it......

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A 5 year plan is very gracious!

Bet most rookie head coaches and GMs (regardless of their "inheritance) would love that long.
And most vet HCs should probably get that

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually think that if I put out honey that I will catch flies. They sure like the sweet soda on the rim of my glass and the glazed donuts from dunkin donuts. They seem to like sweet stuff as much as they like crap. In fact I once swatted a fly sitting on the edge of my Honey jar. I wasn't too happy about it but I doubt he was there for a rest. Vinegar may attract them, but if I had to put odds on a dish of honey and a dish of vinegar there would be more standard house flies in the honey, therefore making the saying true.. Fruit flies are not the topic of the saying though. Otherwise it would be 'You can catch more Fruit flies with vinegar than you can with honey'.

This ain't over bub.:D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back on topic, if using Arizona as a barometer, I think we all agree that the addition of Palmer is the straw that stirs that drink.
With that in mind, they did start out 3-4 with Palmer at the healm and didn't really hit their stride late in the season. So if Foles is going to be our Palmer, let's see if this ship turns around too.
Talent wise I think we can, in fact I know we can.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The bear stuff got here because the saying allows for bears and bees. See my reference to busy as a bee or beaver. I'm not sure what kind of shit eating bears you have around Maine but if you are out hunting with dirty diapers, let's just say I'm not sitting around the fire in your hunt camp. Not sure I wanna eat any of the meat from these Maine bears either. Seems like it would be on the extra gamey side. :sick:

Now back to the flies, honey, and vinegar thing. The saying that you referenced, y'know, the bastardized one, doesn't specifically say "house flies" It only references flies. And being that fruit flies are flies, you can't just ignore them. Are you some sort of fly racist?

Now I will admit that you bring up an interesting point. I would imagine that flies would love a glazed donut. Especially if it was a glazed Lemon Jelly Filled Donut with some powdered sugar sprinkled on it. Nothing on this earth can resist one of those. The hole in your idea though is that Dunkin Donuts has no clue how to make one. Their donuts are filled with some disgusting lemon custard type goop. But even though I can appreciate the desire by flies to eat a Lemon Jelly Filled donut, that is completely beside the point.

A huge part of the problem with your idea of attracting flies with honey is that the kind of flies that you have selected with such prejudice are a big part of the decomposition chain. Those flies tend to go after rotting items for food. Everyone knows that honey physically cannot rot or spoil. Therefore it would be an extremely poor choice to attract an insect that lives for the decomposition process.

I buy honey 350 pounds at a time for use in a couple of our beers. At no time have I had an issue with flies in that honey. I have however had lots of bees in my brewery and even following my truck when leaving the apiary. In fact, the owner of the apiary says yellow jackets can be an issue and of course there are lots of bees but nary a fly to be found.

Now you claim to have swatted a solitary fly on your honey jar and I would not ever call into question your honesty but is it possible that you had one of those dirty diapers nearby and the fly was simply sitting on the jar whilst it figured out the best way to devour your bear bait? But that is not very likely either as you would have quite a few flies going after this shit as well as - apparently - a bunch of Maine bears. You may need a bigger swatter if you keep that up.

So being that we have established that your version of the saying in no way specifies the type of fly to be attracted, we can then go to the next stage and determine if this version has any merit at all. How you ask? Very simple - and you can do this one yourself with no special equipment necessary. Simply put out a small cup of honey and a small cup of vinegar and see which one attracts the flies. When I performed this test yesterday, the vinegar was swarming with fruit flies and interestingly even a few other types of flies. The honey however, had one yellow jacket and 3 bees either hovering or actually in the honey. I am confident if you try this simple test, you will have similar results and will come away thinking, "Well that Stu was absolutely correct. He definitely knows his shit from honey."
tumblr_mn9fmxFVcZ1qz8x31o1_400.gif

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-3_16-42-8.png
    upload_2015-10-3_16-42-8.png
    112 KB · Views: 141

RamzFanz

Damnit
I knew this tripe would say Bernie at the bottom. Nonsense like this is his calling card. So many omissions and bs made up crap, I'm glad I gave up at the second paragraph.