No changes to Rams' O-line, but team optimistic about better results

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Los Angeles Rams' coaching staff and roster underwent numerous changes throughout the offseason as star running back Todd Gurley was cut, receiver Brandin Cooks traded and three new coordinators arrived. But there was one group that went largely untouched: the offensive line.

After an uneven season, it was widely expected that the position group would be addressed in free agency, or more likely -- because of salary-cap constraints -- the NFL draft. But the lone addition came in the form of a seventh-round offensive guard. Rams general manager Les Snead said he knew the lack of movement within the group would buck conventional thinking.

"We did go into [the draft] probably a little different than maybe the outside of our building where, 'OK, hey, it's a major, major glaring weakness,'" Snead said. "We felt confident that if we continue grooming and developing these players, they'd have a chance to become a really solid offensive line."

Since Sean McVay joined the Rams as coach in 2017, the Rams have used six of 39 draft picks to select offensive linemen, all of whom remain on the roster. And all 13 linemen (including practice-squad players) from last season's 9-7 team will return in 2020, including left tackle Andrew Whitworth -- who signed a new three-year, $30 million contract -- and guard/center Austin Blythe, who returns on a fresh one-year, $3.9 million deal.

"We know we have players that can play, but it's about finding ways to get the best five on there," McVay said. "Certain guys might have a little bit more position flex."

After the Rams held a virtual offseason program amid the coronavirus pandemic, it remains uncertain who will make the starting five, and how they will line up.

Whitworth, who is entering his 15th season, will maintain his post at left tackle. After an unexpected decline in production last season, Rob Havenstein -- who was sidelined after nine games because of a knee injury -- is anticipated to return to right tackle. Blythe, a dependable starter at center and guard, also is expected to maintain a starting role.

"I'm still comfortable going back and forth," Blythe said. "Wherever the team thinks that I can help the best or help the most is a position that I'll play."

Last season, the Rams' line experienced instability previously unseen in McVay's tenure as coach.

In 2017, the Rams started the same five linemen in 15 games (McVay did not play starters in Week 17). In 2018, the Rams started the same five linemen every game as they powered their way to a Super Bowl LIII appearance.

But last season, the offensive line shuffled through five different starting lineups because of injuries and fit issues.

As the Rams drew 118 penalties in 2019, which ranked 25th in the NFL, 42 of those penalties were committed by the offensive line -- including 13 from Whitworth and eight from Havenstein.

The offensive line's pass block win rate dropped from 74.3% in 2018 to 56.9% last season, according to ESPN metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats. McVay and Snead have emphasized that the unanticipated injuries and growing pains last season could pay dividends in 2020. "We've been adding those players and I've said it many a times," Snead said. "Fortunately or unfortunately, a lot of them got to play last year." Whitworth emphasized the unit's steady growth through the final seven games after the lineup stabilized.

"You really think about the inexperience we had up front and how little guys have played in football games," said Whitworth, who played alongside four left guards during 2019. "To see where we finished the season offensively and really were able to build ourselves up." If optimism about the development of the offensive line pans out, the Rams' biggest issue next season could be sorting which players will fill interior spots.

Guard Joe Noteboom and center Brian Allen, who started a combined 15 games in 2019, return from season-ending knee injuries. Guard David Edwards and tackle Bobby Evans -- who both were thrust into starting roles as rookies -- and guard Austin Corbett, who started seven games last season, also will compete for starting spots. "We have a lot of guys who can play really good football," Blythe said. "When you have guys go down to injury like we did last year, there are silver linings to all of it."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams position battles: Interior offensive line

Who starts at center and the two guard spots next season?
By Kenneth Arthur Jul 6, 2020, 9:20am CDT
1594049405398.png

I’ve run through four potential training camp battles for the LA Rams so far but have yet to officially hit the offensive line, which is where many eyes will be fixed coming the alleged 2020 training camp. Specifically on the interior, where at least eight players could be fighting for three jobs.

We’ve touched on this in the recent past at Turf Show Times and now seems as good as any to put it to a vote and add this group to the position battles section.

Both NFL.com and ProFootballFocus have projected Austin Corbett to start at left guard for the Rams next season. They also both have Austin Blythe starting on the inside, but Gregg Rosenthal sees him as a right guard whereas PFF had him at center. Comments here at TST have so far looked to quiet down any talk of Brian Allen starting again. as Rosenthal suggested.

Also competing at guard will be 2018 third round pick Joseph Noteboom, who started the first six games last season before tearing his ACL and MCL. Sean McVay said at the combine that Noteboom was “on track” to be ready for the start of the season, but downgrading his ability to win a starting gig this offseason would be understandable.

David Edwards was projected to start at right guard by PFF and the 2019 fifth rounder started 10 games there last season. His most likely competition there is Blythe, if he doesn’t win the job at center, Noteboom, 2019 third rounder Bobby Evans if he moves inside, and potentially seventh round rookie Tremayne Anchrum. Of course, if a seventh rounder can compete, we can’t discount UDFA Cohl Cabral, a college center. Coleman Shelton, Jamil Demby, Jeremiah Kolone, and Nate Trewyn round out the roster.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Seeing that list makes me feel sick. I'm hoping that Edwards starts at LG and either Evans or Brewer wins the RG spot. I'm guessing Blythe at Center and Corbett his backup. I like Corbett as a backup because he could play all 3 spots in the interior vs Allen who can only play center. I've got my fingers crossed that Whit and Hav can bounce back this season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams Oline ISN'T better this year, Kromer should be fired so hard, that he bounces. If the Oline blows, petals will be torn off the McVay rose, with me. No excuses.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams position battles: Interior offensive line

Who starts at center and the two guard spots next season?
By Kenneth Arthur Jul 6, 2020, 9:20am CDT
View attachment 37232

I’ve run through four potential training camp battles for the LA Rams so far but have yet to officially hit the offensive line, which is where many eyes will be fixed coming the alleged 2020 training camp. Specifically on the interior, where at least eight players could be fighting for three jobs.

We’ve touched on this in the recent past at Turf Show Times and now seems as good as any to put it to a vote and add this group to the position battles section.

Both NFL.com and ProFootballFocus have projected Austin Corbett to start at left guard for the Rams next season. They also both have Austin Blythe starting on the inside, but Gregg Rosenthal sees him as a right guard whereas PFF had him at center. Comments here at TST have so far looked to quiet down any talk of Brian Allen starting again. as Rosenthal suggested.

Also competing at guard will be 2018 third round pick Joseph Noteboom, who started the first six games last season before tearing his ACL and MCL. Sean McVay said at the combine that Noteboom was “on track” to be ready for the start of the season, but downgrading his ability to win a starting gig this offseason would be understandable.

David Edwards was projected to start at right guard by PFF and the 2019 fifth rounder started 10 games there last season. His most likely competition there is Blythe, if he doesn’t win the job at center, Noteboom, 2019 third rounder Bobby Evans if he moves inside, and potentially seventh round rookie Tremayne Anchrum. Of course, if a seventh rounder can compete, we can’t discount UDFA Cohl Cabral, a college center. Coleman Shelton, Jamil Demby, Jeremiah Kolone, and Nate Trewyn round out the roster.

I guess this guy Thinks brewer is no longer a Ram or is in competition??
Lol - If Austin Blythe starts a RG I’ll be blown away. I never liked him there since he took over for J.Brown.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seeing that list makes me feel sick. I'm hoping that Edwards starts at LG and either Evans or Brewer wins the RG spot. I'm guessing Blythe at Center and Corbett his backup. I like Corbett as a backup because he could play all 3 spots in the interior vs Allen who can only play center. I've got my fingers crossed that Whit and Hav can bounce back this season.

Interesting how all the penalties came from the Veterans from the SuperBowl team that was so good??

Dude ? Anyway- Corbett & Whitworth start things off in my eyes. That’s the beginning the continuity. Noteboom to me is the Wild card if healthy?? He was the starting LG in 2019. I don’t even think he plays 2020 though.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don’t think that these ‘experts’ have as good a handle on this OL as many posters right here on this board do.

Here’s my personal take:

Whit early on with possible snaps going to Boom later in the season, if healthy.
Corbett or Edwards.
Blythe
Edwards or Evans (if Edwards is moved to LG)
Hav likely, if healthy. Evans if Hav struggles.

Rams carry 9 OL, maybe even 10 this year because of fierce competition. Couple of OL cuts might not make it through waivers to get to PS.

Excruciating decisions will occur after the 7 mentioned above plus 2-3 others for final depth slots.

A damned shame that there will be such limited practice snaps available because of the virus restrictions. Sigh...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I guess this guy Thinks brewer is no longer a Ram or is in competition??
Lol - If Austin Blythe starts a RG I’ll be blown away. I never liked him there since he took over for J.Brown.
I thought Blythe looked pretty good in 2018 between Havenstein and Sullivan.

But he looked like hell last year at guard between Allen and an injured Havenstein, which is to be expected.

I'm sticking with my projection that the line we finished the season with and looked good except for two games and those same 5 will start the season, (if we have one).
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Havenstein/Evans

That offensive line, playing together, early in the season, could really gel out into an excellent offensive line.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No mention of Brewer. Huh
He definitely has prototype size and has looked really good so far.

We're actually sitting pretty good having three to four potential left tackles to replace Whitworth.
Noteboom
Edwards
Evans
Brewer

I definitely think that we can attribute quite a few of those penalties called against Whitworth as being the result of being lined up next to Noteboom and Corbett, etc.

For a left tackle, being next to someone that you can mentally count on doing their job is huge.

Conversely, being distracted by thinking you might have to help the left guard next to you can be a mental distraction which can lead to penalties.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It looks like they were concentrating on the five expected starters.
Yep & starters on the OL in the NFL don't start for long normally. I tend to always consider the entire OL unit when evaluating.
If the Rams Oline ISN'T better this year, Kromer should be fired so hard, that he bounces. If the Oline blows, petals will be torn off the McVay rose, with me. No excuses.
You would have to give some of that hardness you are speaking of to his boss to include McVay as I see it too. Many of us old timers know that you build your teams OL with high quality better stock ....provide the maintenance with a good OL coach & add better new parts on a regular basis year after year......... then after you attained this you can easily move your attention as a GM/HC to the TE's WR's RB's & other play toys....
I don’t think that these ‘experts’ have as good a handle on this OL as many posters right here on this board do.
Here’s my personal take:
Whit early on with possible snaps going to Boom later in the season, if healthy.
Corbett or Edwards.
Blythe
Edwards or Evans (if Edwards is moved to LG)
Hav likely, if healthy. Evans if Hav struggles.

Rams carry 9 OL, maybe even 10 this year because of fierce competition. Couple of OL cuts might not make it through waivers to get to PS. Excruciating decisions will occur after the 7 mentioned above plus 2-3 others for final depth slots. A damned shame that there will be such limited practice snaps available because of the virus restrictions. Sigh...
Sure appears to me that a lot of so-called expert sport writers have a very poor handle on the upcoming Rams OL. I constantly see them mention Noteboom being involved in competition @ OG comments...o_O, totally deleting our #6 OL last season (Brewer) from the OL conversation altogether,:hellno: then reinserting Blythe back into the RG competition all over again when our weakest OL position is @ center:rolleyes:.

Yes, if Noteboom is physically ready to go then I do see a "Combo LT Operation" forthcoming. Same might end up ongoing @ RT with Havenstein/ Evans twosome action too.

I lean hard to the side of thinking that McVay/Kromer strongly desires to keep the same unchanged interior OL'ers (Edwards/ Blythe/ Corbett) which started the last 8 weeks of the season continuing to build in concert together due to the short brief practice times now mandated by NFL players. As we discussed previously time to breakdown & reassemble a new functioning OL unit under these time restrictions is near impossible. A great deal more to be gained if the OL can be preserved close to previous season(y);).

The main 8 OL'ers of Whitworth/ Havenstein/ Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Brewer/ Blythe/ Allen is rather easy & the 9th being Noteboom is also very easy to guesstimate on if he is healthy. Allen being the main OL'er that might face some serious competition from Shelton/ Cabral/ Trewyn & Anchrum.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yep & starters on the OL in the NFL don't start for long normally. I tend to always consider the entire OL unit when evaluating.
You would have to give some of that hardness you are speaking of to his boss to include McVay as I see it too. Many of us old timers know that you build your teams OL with high quality better stock ....provide the maintenance with a good OL coach & add better new parts on a regular basis year after year......... then after you attained this you can easily move your attention as a GM/HC to the TE's WR's RB's & other play toys....
Sure appears to me that a lot of so-called expert sport writers have a very poor handle on the upcoming Rams OL. I constantly see them mention Noteboom being involved in competition @ OG comments...o_O, totally deleting our #6 OL last season (Brewer) from the OL conversation altogether,:hellno: then reinserting Blythe back into the RG competition all over again when our weakest OL position is @ center:rolleyes:.

Yes, if Noteboom is physically ready to go then I do see a "Combo LT Operation" forthcoming. Same might end up ongoing @ RT with Havenstein/ Evans twosome action too.

I lean hard to the side of thinking that McVay/Kromer strongly desires to keep the same unchanged interior OL'ers (Edwards/ Blythe/ Corbett) which started the last 8 weeks of the season continuing to build in concert together due to the short brief practice times now mandated by NFL players. As we discussed previously time to breakdown & reassemble a new functioning OL unit under these time restrictions is near impossible. More to be gained if the OL can be retained close to previous season.

The main 8 OL'ers of Whitworth/ Havenstein/ Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Brewer/ Blythe/ Allen is rather easy & the 9th being Noteboom is also very easy to guesstimate on if he is healthy. Allen being the main OL'er that might face some serious competition from Shelton/ Cabral/ Trewyn & Anchrum.

I don’t quite share your confidence in Allen making the 55, Bonifay. I don’t have Kromer’s insight, of course, but I’ve gotta say that I, at least, have lost a great deal of confidence in Allen at C and his chances at either OG position seem nonexistent.

OTOH, I do feel pretty comfortable with the 4 competitors you listed plus Corbett for the backup C position. In fact, the Rams seem to have assembled an impressive stable of potential depth players for this entire OL.

JRobinson

MiLB
I could care less about any article written by anyone. This unit is going to be average at best; and that’s with a prayer.

“Well they don’t have experience”,

“they haven’t played together”,

“too many injuries last year”....

These are scapegoats. All of them. I’m not saying there aren’t some factual content to these, but these will be reasons that are given if/when they suck (which will be soon IMO).

Management. They didn’t address the OLine which many of us wanted and expected to see happen. If you can win up front, your record will be reflective of that.

At the end of it all, I’m hopeful and very cautiously optimistic that I’m wrong because I’m no scout or professional of the sort. But, let’s be clear, these guys are not studs by any stretch.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don’t quite share your confidence in Allen making the 55, Bonifay. I don’t have Kromer’s insight, of course, but I’ve gotta say that I, at least, have lost a great deal of confidence in Allen at C and his chances at either OG position seem nonexistent.

OTOH, I do feel pretty comfortable with the 4 competitors you listed plus Corbett for the backup C position. In fact, the Rams seem to have assembled an impressive stable of potential depth players for this entire OL.
I am not as down on Allen as most of my fellow ROD members. I look @ the 8 completed gms by Allen @ center by Allen.....I see the starting OG's who started on both sides of Allen as Noteboom, Demby, Blythe & a rookie Edwards who was getting his first 2 starts during those 8 gms. Allen was in a real tough spot as a starter.

We know that Demby who started 1 gm and played major parts in two others due to injuries (Blythe & Noteboom), should not be anywhere close to being a starter in the NFL. Blythe was injured early in the 2nd gm & after his return to the line up after missing some time was limping badly & ineffective for several games into the season. Not sure Blythe should have returned so early. Noteboom as a starter @ OG was nearly graded as bad as Demby. Thus I can pause for cause on behalf of Allen due to the above.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could care less about any article written by anyone. This unit is going to be average at best; and that’s with a prayer.

“Well they don’t have experience”,

“they haven’t played together”,

“too many injuries last year”....

These are scapegoats. All of them. I’m not saying there aren’t some factual content to these, but these will be reasons that are given if/when they suck (which will be soon IMO).

Management. They didn’t address the OLine which many of us wanted and expected to see happen. If you can win up front, your record will be reflective of that.

At the end of it all, I’m hopeful and very cautiously optimistic that I’m wrong because I’m no scout or professional of the sort. But, let’s be clear, these guys are not studs by any stretch.
Yeah they really rolled the dice with that unit. Enormous risk to stand pat given how poorly they played. And late in the season the surge we saw was largely on the back of a moving pocket that kept Goff clean enough to get the ball out.

I'm expecting a mediocre team because of another poor OL. But I hope I'm wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am not as down on Allen as most of my fellow ROD members. I look @ the 8 completed gms by Allen @ center by Allen.....I see the starting OG's who started on both sides of Allen as Noteboom, Demby, Blythe & a rookie Edwards who was getting his first 2 starts during those 8 gms. Allen was in a real tough spot as a starter.
Allen gets a lot of unfair bias against him IMO. While Boom benefits strangely the other direction. I relate it to people "picking their horses" after a draft and hoping they're correct, but none of that is going to matter in the end. He'll either fix his pass blocking and line calls and win the job, or he'll settle in as a depth player.

Same with Boom and the rest of these clowns tbh. All of them are questionable talents to my eye. So we're going to see if Kromer knows best, or if he's allowed his ego to negatively impact the entire organization. Sure hope he's right.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@JRobinson

Whitworth is not a stud?
(He is) :)

Havenstein was not a stud prior to his injury?
(He was) :)

I can already see right now that Edwards has stud potential.

And an offensive line does not have to have studs at every position.

All they really have to do is be above-average at their position and know how to work together as a unit.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, let’s be clear, these guys are not studs by any stretch.

He's right. It's time to cut Edwards, Evans, Corbett, Noteboom, Shelton, and Allen. I don't know why the team didn't draft a few all-pros this year to replace these bums. Where's the blue font?

Listen... I'm a homer, and I understand why some of you folks are pessimistic. But for the 100th time... who would you have drafted this year that would be better than our current guys? And why don't you think that the rookies and first-year linemen will not improve? And don't forget to subtract Cam Akers and Van Jefferson from the team, because we wouldn't have them either if we drafted more o-linemen.

If we still had all-pro Gurley and pro-bowler Cooks, we might have been able to sign a veteran O-linemen or two. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and the D-line needed more help than the O-line anyway. I'm just hoping for another competitive season. It would be nice to be in the super bowl every year, but then football would suck for 31 other teams. I'm just hoping for the playoffs. Go Rams!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
@JRobinson

Whitworth is not a stud?
(He is) :)

Havenstein was not a stud prior to his injury?
(He was) :)

I can already see right now that Edwards has stud potential.

And an offensive line does not have to have studs at every position.

All they really have to do is be above-average at their position and know how to work together as a unit.

When I think stud I think of Saffold. Sad to say....