Nice StL PD article from Burwell: Rams draft about Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Re: Re:

brokeu91 said:
interference said:
zn said:
I am assuming Fisher is right but if he's not, he will move on from Bradford like a doctor dumping the wife who put him through med school for a younger girlfriend.
No kidding... this happened to a female cousin of mine.
Hey I'm a doctor and most of us don't do that.

I agree with Zn to some degree. It is likely in part to help build confidence. But I remember when Fisher said something about Bradford having the ability to be the best NFL QB. When Bradford was questioned about it, he was surprised; he had not heard it.

It might be that Fisher is saying these things because he really does feel that Bradford has the ability to be special and is looking good out there. He is also probably saying it to build confidence in Bradford (and quiet critics). Let's face it, even if we new Fisher was 100% sincere in his faith in Bradford, that still doesn't mean he has to tell everyone about it either. So in the end I think it's a bit of both.

In other words---you know for a fact Bradford heard it. Which of course is the point. The timing of it hardly matters.

And he responded by saying it's good to know the head coach has confidence in you.

Fisher is a confidence builder. It's one of his key traits as a coach.

And no coach is going to build the confidence of a young qb by saying "I think he has a chance to be a top 10 in qb rating in a couple of years."

Just as you don't tell your wife "while technically you would not qualify as a model or leading actress, still, I find you reasonably attractive."

In other words, Fisher has not once and for all resolved the debate about how good Bradford can become. He's being a coach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Re:

zn said:
In other words, Fisher has not once and for all resolved the debate about how good Bradford can become. He's being a coach.
Well, duh. If that's the point you're trying to make, it's a given.

See, here's what happened. Burwell wrote a column about Fisher's growing admiration for Bradford. Posters responded by echoing those statements. Meaning, we're all in agreement that Bradford isn't 2011 Bradford and it's nice to hear a head coach silence the dipshits on other forums who say Bradford is already done, or he's a shitty QB. Whether or not Fisher's motivation is to build confidence, or if he really feels like Bradford's going to be special, we're kind of only interested in his anticipation of what Bradford will become. Not his modus operandi for saying what he said.

Burwell didn't say, "This is Fisher being a coach, and he hasn't settled any debate about Bradford."

What he said was:

"Unlike some of the incurable idiots on the Internet and other assorted understudies at Short Attention Span Theater, Fisher understands that his third-year quarterback — the No.1 pick in the 2010 NFL draft — simply is the most important piece of the rebuilding puzzle for this franchise."

What that means is, there are imbeciles who say Bradford is washed up already, and he'll never be a Franchise QB. Burwell is pointing out that Fisher doesn't feel that way. He didn't before he took the job, he didn't when he was interviewing for the job, he didn't when he met with Bradford, and he doesn't feel that way now.

And it's okay to point that out. It's not necessary to try and rationalize his statements under the blanket of realism.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Nice StL PD article from Burwell: Rams draft about Bradf

I can't figure out why we need to question what a coach says about his players. It's not like he's being an A-hole and calling one of his players out. He is talking about his players. In this case it is about Sam. Of course he is going to say good things about his #1 QB. If you read back on some of his statements about Vince Young, you'll see that he said good things about Vince. But what you will also notice is that they are qualified compliments in many cases.

Do we need to read things in like he is simply trying to pump up his confidence? I am pretty damn sure that if Fisher didn't like what he saw in Bradford and some other key players, he wouldn't have taken the job. I am pretty sure that Sam has confidence and Fisher saw that when he met with him during scouting, during the job interview phase, and on a daily basis. For Fisher to make statements about Sam's accuracy just to pump him up, when there are plenty of witnesses that could call him out on it if it were not true, would be ludicrous. Instead, we'd be hearing things like, "well there's a lot to learn about the new system", or "He's trying to get comfortable with the scheme and the routes but he'll definitely get there". Or as in the case of Vince Young, ""He's a tremendous player. He's certainly got a great deal of ability, and he's a rare athlete, and he's a good teammate." In essence stating that his play is not fitting of his abilities but still acting confident in his young QB.

I feel like many make excuses for a coach that is clearly pleased with what he sees in his QB. As if he is really hiding that he feels Sam is so fragile that he could break the young lad if he doesn't refer to him as the second coming.

I also think Burwell's article is somewhat of an apology for the trolls on the PD.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

RamFan503 said:
I can't figure out why we need to question what a coach says about his players. It's not like he's being an A-hole and calling one of his players out. He is talking about his players. In this case it is about Sam. Of course he is going to say good things about his #1 QB. If you read back on some of his statements about Vince Young, you'll see that he said good things about Vince. But what you will also notice is that they are qualified compliments in many cases.

Do we need to read things in like he is simply trying to pump up his confidence? I am pretty damn sure that if Fisher didn't like what he saw in Bradford and some other key players, he wouldn't have taken the job. I am pretty sure that Sam has confidence and Fisher saw that when he met with him during scouting, during the job interview phase, and on a daily basis. For Fisher to make statements about Sam's accuracy just to pump him up, when there are plenty of witnesses that could call him out on it if it were not true, would be ludicrous. Instead, we'd be hearing things like, "well there's a lot to learn about the new system", or "He's trying to get comfortable with the scheme and the routes but he'll definitely get there". Or as in the case of Vince Young, ""He's a tremendous player. He's certainly got a great deal of ability, and he's a rare athlete, and he's a good teammate." In essence stating that his play is not fitting of his abilities but still acting confident in his young QB.

I feel like many make excuses for a coach that is clearly pleased with what he sees in his QB. As if he is really hiding that he feels Sam is so fragile that he could break the young lad if he doesn't refer to him as the second coming.

I also think Burwell's article is somewhat of an apology for the trolls on the PD.
Plus, Fisher doesn't do this for all his players, or quarterbacks for that matter. Can't we just just imagine that Bradford may legitimately impress him, instead of questioning his motives.

Speeps

Starter

This debate has grown into something that it shouldn't. The coach expressed admiration for his QB. What's the problem?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Speeps said:
This debate has grown into something that it shouldn't. The coach expressed admiration for his QB. What's the problem?
There is no problem, and we don't need to try and understand why he's saying what he's saying. Let's just enjoy it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
Speeps said:
There is no problem, and we don't need to try and understand why he's saying what he's saying. Let's just enjoy it.
Some things are beyond understanding, LOL.

images

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Speeps said:

How dare he!? There must be something behind it to which we're not privy. :cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

[nfl]09000d5d8276b488[/nfl]

Speeps

Starter

Here comes another debate... :ww:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Speeps said:
Here comes another debate... :ww:

Well YEAH.... You can obviously tell he is constantly looking off to the side to see if Fisher thinks he's stroking Sam's ego enough. What are you daft? :7up:

Anonymous

Speeps said:

No one said there was a problem. Just a small difference of opinion.

Some want Fisher's comments to be "proof" of Bradford's high potential.

Some are saying that's not possible even if he is sincere, but it is an example of great coaching either way.

I don't need Bradford to be the best qb in the league and neither do the Rams. Certainly Fisher saying it doesn't determine anything.

I do believe Bradford will be anywhere from more than good enough to very good. I base that on the potential I've seen.

I think there are 2 grains of truth in what Fisher said. 1, yeah Bradford has very good potential. 2, yeah Fisher believes in him.

The question is, why is it a problem to say that Fisher's words aren't to be taken at face value or to be taken literally--they're coachspeak for confidence building. Which is just fine with me--that is example of why Fisher is a good coach. JF has a positive knack for building confidence. Partly how he uses words. Partly how he coaches players up AND at the exact same time does not expose them.

But if you don't agree, and see his words differently, then all we have in the end is a natural and normal difference of opinion.

And there's certainly no problem with having differences of opinion over things like that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:
Speeps said:

Some are saying that's not possible even if he is sincere, but it is an example of great coaching either way.

I don't need Bradford to be the best qb in the league and neither do the Rams. Certainly Fisher saying it doesn't determine anything.

I do believe Bradford will be anywhere from more than good enough to very good. I base that on the potential I've seen.

I think there are 2 grains of truth in what Fisher said. 1, yeah Bradford has very good potential. 2, yeah Fisher believes in him.

The question is, why is it a problem to say that Fisher's words aren't to be taken at face value or to be taken literally--they're coachspeak for confidence building. Which is just fine with me--that is example of why Fisher is a good coach. JF has a positive knack for building confidence. Partly how he uses words. Partly how he coaches players up AND at the exact same time does not expose them.

But if you don't agree, and see his words differently, then all we have in the end is a natural and normal difference of opinion.

And there's certainly no problem with having differences of opinion over things like that.
I don't know why these threads have to turn into something more than they are, but inevitably, they always do. That said, there are two fallacies to your post here. One, nobody said Fisher's words are proof of anything. Two, you're saying it's coachspeak and nothing more. So in essence you're debunking one claim that was never made, and making another that can't be proven. How about we just rejoice in the fact that Fisher (and Snead) said some cool things about their QB, and then backed it by trading away their pick, and then let's call it a day.

All in all, the original article is basically Burwell calling the PD extremists (who have already rendered judgement on Bradford) morons. That much I agree with, and I don't need any additional evidence in support of that claim.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Speeps said:

I don't know why these threads have to turn into something more than they are, but inevitably, they always do. That said, there are two fallacies to your post here. One, nobody said Fisher's words are proof of anything. Two, you're saying it's coachspeak and nothing more. So in essence you're debunking one claim that was never made, and making another that can't be proven. How about we just rejoice in the fact that Fisher (and Snead) said some cool things about their QB, and then backed it by trading away their pick, and then let's call it a day.

All in all, the original article is basically Burwell calling the PD extremists (who have already rendered judgement on Bradford) morons. That much I agree with, and I don't need any additional evidence in support of that claim.

Well, yeah, a poster or 2 took Fisher directly at his word; since he was so experienced, he was they said right about qbs. My take on Fisher is that part of the reason qbs who played for him who were good WERE good in part cause he has a knack for building confidence and putting them in a position to win.

Now why do people debate these things? Because given both the nature of all people--and the nature of of making statements like Fisher's--not everyone agreed on what he said. The words mean different things to different people. And when that happens there's never any harm in discussing it, either--provided people accept that there are just going to be different views on things like that.

It plays out, it has value as discussion, and then like you said, we move on to the next one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So is it the nature of all people to never figure out when a debate should be over or when you really didn't need to have that last word on a subject?