NFL will have medical evaluation tent on sidelines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23/nfl-will-have-medical-evaluation-tent-on-sidelines/

NFL will have medical evaluation tent on sidelines
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2017

442315532fc51885d54b14e9b378dc05-e1495573769417.jpg

On a day when the NFL would have been wise to borrow college football’s overtime procedures, pro football is instead adopting something else from the amateur game.

Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters at the conclusion of the ownership meeting in Chicago that the league will use a medical tent on the sidelines in 2017. The University of Alabama first employed the device in 2015, aimed at preventing fans or media from seeing physical examinations that otherwise would in plain view of opponents, media, and fans. Other programs began to adopt the device in 2016.

While useful for the evaluation of various physical ailments without taking him to the locker room, it may not be an appropriate substitute for a locker-room concussion evaluation, which benefits from the player being removed from the noise and the elements of the playing area, possibly with a chance to remove his shoulder pads and relax a bit, allowing for a meaningful assessment of his cognitive abilities.

The tent will inject a high degree of secrecy to the medical evaluation process, putting the media and fans at the mercy of the accuracy of the in-game updates by hiding what sideline reporters or binocular-equipped journalists in the press box otherwise would be able to observe in plain view.

While some teams may still do basic evaluations and manipulations in the open, it makes plenty of sense to use and device available to keep prying eyes from nothing anything more than the bare minimum about a given player’s health.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I guess they are tired of seeing people get carted off the field. Now its within walking distance less humiliation. Will they have a walkway now like in ET?

0777e88ad549b423a20ae6e6704ad859.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The NFL is covering its butt when it comes to player safety, and they should. Anything they can do to quickly deal with injuries should be done. I hope they have an MRI and CT scanner available right on the sidelines for every game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is my concept of what the Tent area will look like ...

circus-big-top-tent-3084784.jpg

Debacled

Starter
The NFL is covering its butt when it comes to player safety, and they should. Anything they can do to quickly deal with injuries should be done. I hope they have an MRI and CT scanner available right on the sidelines for every game.

The tent is for privacy really, not anything else. Its going to be there so they don't have to run back to a locker room to take a look at a guys groin or to give him another pain shot without the public falling out of its rocker about it.

MRIs and CTs generally aren't for acute issues, especially directly after an injury. Its why guys with knee injuries often aren't fully diagnosed until a day or few have passed.

fearsomefour

Legend
Alabama medical tent.....
Translation....
So a guy can get IV fluids or injected with pain killers and get back out ASAP.
No college program particularly cares about the health of its players beyond winning.
That is a sham of shams.
To the point the spokesman should be the sham wow guy.

Psycho_X

Legend
freak that guy's a bozo. why is the media overrun by them? .

Fixed it for ya. Media is nothing more than click whores now.

As for the tent, I'd think they'd still take concussion protocol players to the locker room for eval because of reasons stated. This is just so they can pull a guys pants down or take a jersey and shirt off to evaluate other injuries without his hairy ass being shown on tv or the opposing team bird watching what might be wrong with a dude. Privacy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fixed it for ya. Media is nothing more than click whores now.

As for the tent, I'd think they'd still take concussion protocol players to the locker room for eval because of reasons stated. This is just so they can pull a guys pants down or take a jersey and shirt off to evaluate other injuries without his hairy ass being shown on tv or the opposing team bird watching what might be wrong with a dude. Privacy.

Yeah that's the first thing i typed, then decided to throw nfl in there.