NFC West offseason: Several key 49ers may be set free/USAToday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/08/for-49ers-kaepernick-becomes-the-new-harbaugh/

For 49ers, Kaepernick becomes the new Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2015

kaepernick.jpg
Getty Images

With 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick entering a contract year in 2014, the franchise persuaded him to agree to a ridiculously team-friendly deal, one that gives the 49ers until April 1 of each of the next five years to walk away with no further financial obligation.

Apart from whether and to what extent the financial package slights Kaepernick (and at times last year his performance suggested that perhaps he has been overpaid), the ability of the organization to assess all options on an annual basis for three months after the regular season ends puts Kaepernick annually in a precarious spot. In contrast, players like Drew Brees had their salaries become fully guaranteed in February; already, the Saints are on the hook for $18.75 million in 2015 for Brees, thanks to contract language that made the salary fully guaranteed on the third day of the waiver period.

And so, as Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News explains it, Kaepernick has become this year’s Jim Harbaugh for the 49ers. Although the team is prepared to go forward with Kaepernick for at least one more year (especially since his failure to make the All-Pro team or to take the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2014 dropped his base pay from $12.4 million to $10.4 million), Kaepernick’s status for 2016 will hover over the franchise the same way Harbaugh’s status for 2015 did.

Beyond from the many flaws in Kaepernick’s contract, the failure to anticipate a coaching change becomes perhaps the biggest problem; with Harbaugh now gone, Kaepernick’s performance will be largely influenced — and evaluated — by coach Jim Tomsula, offensive coordinator Geep Chryst, and quarterbacks coach Steve Logan. What if Tomsula, Chryst, and Logan decide Kaepernick isn’t the right guy for the long haul? What if Kaepernick doesn’t respond to them the way he did to Harbaugh and his shoulder-pad slapping enthusiasm?

Even under Harbaugh, Kaepernick never quite became the guy everyone thought he’d be. Under Tomsula, Chryst, and Logan, Kaepernick could regress — and the 49ers could decide a year from now to move on. The contract makes it easy, and the new circumstances in San Francisco could make it a necessity.

Whatever happens with Kaepernick in 2016, it’ll be a constant question and, eventually, distraction for the player and for the team.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that it would be extremely unwise to be looking down the road at other positions when you can't even field an average offensive line. Even QB is less of a need for the Rams than OG and center is right now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wow we have 2 starting CB positions & SIX CB's .

Rams have 2 starting OT positions & only ONE OT.

Rams have 2 starting OG positions & we have only One OG who is just had his shoulder reconstructed.

So in conclusion Rams have 4 starting OL positions & can only field half of those, but we can field 3 NFL secondaries with our CB cadre.

I just can not see any comparisons:palm:. But I am just the old guy here & have done traditional math that has been used for several thousand yrs until common core arrived.

Actually, the Rams still have Jake Long as he hasn't been released yet. And while not probable, if he still wants to play and were willing to take a paycut, he might not get released. Also, the author might be assuming that the team re-signs Barkdale. If both of these guys stay with perhaps, Long moving inside to guard, the team might see the need on OLine as highly as some of us.

Last edited:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
That 49ers secondary is going to be absolutely gutted this offseason. Kinda exciting as most of those guys are scumbags to boot.

If it's up to me, I'm targeting Clemmings or Scherff at 10. If they aren't there, I'd gladly trade back and target the best CB or WR.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As long as we resign Britt, WR is deep too. Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey, and Cook exploiting the middle is really solid. OL is by far and away our biggest need, especially if we lose Barks.

LB'er is a little thin but we often use the nickel and we have a couple hybrid guys that can play in the spot.

QB and OL has to get solved. But I don't wanna spend a high pick on a QB. I like that kid they were looking at, do that.

I'm with you on LB and it's odd but we se articles that say the Rams need RB, WR, OL, secondary and so on but it seems like we NEVER hear anyone say they need to bolster the LB corp. Maybe because the DL makes the front seven look stout, I dunno.

Anyway you're right we are thin at LB. We have one good one, one average one and a few question marks. If they add to that unit the D will be fierce.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have 3, maybe 4 CBs worthy of starting right now, and two of them could leave the building next year. Plus, you need 3 starting level CB's at a minimum because teams are in nickle more than 50% of the time these days..... and to protect against injury.

O-Line and QB are definitely more immediate needs, but smart teams are always looking ahead at what's coming down the road and CB could become a major issue next year. So picking another CB this year would be a wise thing to do....and that doesn't mean it has to be a high pick.

Good Morning RamBill great to have a discussion with you.:)

Its in my nature & I can not help myself from looking into the future in most things I have posted many times on the upcoming situation in 2016 with the high number of Rams that will be entering free agency. One big reason I would prefer to go light in 2015 FA'cy so this Ram team can be in position to sign at least half of the 7 to 8 starting players who will enter FA'cy in 2016. So in order to go light in FA'cy in 2015 you must address the vacancies & holes mainly in the draft.

I would like to add that I do see the need for a highly talented CB in the future (like 2016) based on the UFA's of JJ & TJ. I just happen to really like a CB in this 2015 draft named Kevin White he is a little short 5-9 190 but if we had an extra 3rd I would take him fast.

Yes its a possibility that very young corners McGee, Roberson, Joyner & Gaines may not be enough talent to please Ram fan demands (if they could not meet @ least one of those UFA's CB's contract demands). However that's in 2016 & the 2016 draft could be used to assist in this area. Of the four named Ram CB's underlined...we have no ideal of the possibility of high latent skills yet to be displayed on the field of play. You mention smart teams above would it be smart to undervalue those four CB's now so early in the NFL careers?:whistle:

I would consider it irresponsible for this Rams teams highly DEFENSIVE experienced coaches (Head Coach Fisher, assistant HC McGinnis, DC Gregg Williams & DB Chuck Cecil & DL Mike Waufle) all have many extensive NFL years in their NFL back grounds..... should NOT be able to coach up all this defensive talent. On the flip side where the offensive Line has remained in a weak & pathetic over the last 3 seasons in terms of talent with WWC's, worn out & surgically repair players.

I see it this way too that Chuck Cecil has a very large DB cadre with (12) Twelve under contract in 2015. to fill 4 to 5 starting positions. These DB's have two 2nd rd.picks, two 3rd rd. picks, one first rd. , 4th rd., 5th rd., 6th rd & 7th rd. picks with two UDFA's included.

My mind then goes directly to comparing this OL unit & Boudreau's 5 starting positions that he has to field. Looking @ the number of OL'ers he will have under contract (excluding the players who are no longer under contract & two (Long & Wells) who will be certain cap casualties). I count only Five ..........Robinson-Saffold-Jones-Rhaney & Baker. Which comprises of one 1st rd., 2nd rd.,4th rd.,7th rd. & a WWC. Basically the same amount of fielded starting positions with one unit having 12 the other 5. Even my future driven brain will not permit me to go past onto what might/maybe 2016 concerns with that kind of certain bona fide 2015 concerns.

If I were Snead I sure would not want to explain to my owner & boss why I considered a CB in the top 3 needs on my 2015 Ram team in this upcoming draft. Looks to me those top three needs are clear & would be QB, OT, OG. Based mostly on vacancies alone.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Actually, the Rams still have Jake Long as he hasn't been released yet. And while not probable, if he still wants to play and were willing to take a paycut, he might not get released. Also, the author might be assuming that the team re-signs Barkdale. If both of these guys stay with perhaps, Long moving inside to guard, the team might see the need on OLine as highly as some of us.

Hey Memphis I want to thank you for your hard work in posting on the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago. Gave us various reports on many opinions on what they were seeing on the practice field...very interesting. Like you I like Blake Sims a lot.

Yes many Ram sports writers do seem to think that Joe Barksdale is a certain resign & do write their opinions as such. As far as Jake Long making a return to the NFL this season after two back to back ACL tears & then those five straight off seasons undergoing surgical rehabbing events? I consider it very questionable. Even if he is cleared physically on that right knee no way Rams bank will pay out that 8 million here in a month or so for such an unknown. Rams used a lot of high priceless team value investment in the position that Jake has always play in & starred... already.

How could they not released Jake from his current Ram contract? When so much cap $$ is involved here? Unknowns here with Jake are many what OL post could he play? How long can they expect him to remain in the lineup with all his worn & damaged body parts? What would be his real $$ value? Really think Jake would sign a short term contract?

Why would any NFL team with so many unknowns currently involved in its OL add another serious unknown:eek: (Jake Long) into that mix?:confused:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hey Memphis I want to thank you for your hard work in posting on the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago. Gave us various reports on many opinions on what they were seeing on the practice field...very interesting. Like you I like Blake Sims a lot.

Yes many Ram sports writers do seem to think that Joe Barksdale is a certain resign & do write their opinions as such. As far as Jake Long making a return to the NFL this season after two back to back ACL tears & then those five straight off seasons undergoing surgical rehabbing events? I consider it very questionable. Even if he is cleared physically on that right knee no way Rams bank will pay out that 8 million here in a month or so for such an unknown. Rams used a lot of high priceless team value investment in the position that Jake has always play in & starred... already.

How could they not released Jake from his current Ram contract? When so much cap $$ is involved here? Unknowns here with Jake are many what OL post could he play? How long can they expect him to remain in the lineup with all his worn & damaged body parts? What would be his real $$ value? Really think Jake would sign a short term contract?

Why would any NFL team with so many unknowns currently involved in its OL add another serious unknown:eek: (Jake Long) into that mix?:confused:

Of course, Jake Long at his current contract is a no go which is why I mentioned the paycut. How much of a paycut? Don't know what they can agree upon, but I wouldn't rule out the option.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That 49ers secondary is going to be absolutely gutted this offseason. Kinda exciting as most of those guys are scumbags to boot.

If it's up to me, I'm targeting Clemmings or Scherff at 10. If they aren't there, I'd gladly trade back and target the best CB or WR.
Scherff is definitely on my radar! Like what I see in him and .... I've always felt OL from Wisconsin and Iowa were your best bets in the draft. Always good units

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What Bonifay said.

OL is and has been the worst unit on this team for years. Jake Long coming back too early is what caused Bradford's injury in 2014 IMO. No way in hell I put Sam behind him again. Robinson, Saffold and Barksdale (presuming he resigns) are the only 3 guys with proven experience I trust right now although I have high hopes for Jones.

I don't see how the Rams could be looking at WR or CB as positions of need going in to the 2015 draft. If someone falls to them that they are absolutely in love with could they take one. Of course,

I just don't see how anyone watching this team for the last two years can think anything besides protecting the QB can be a higher priority.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
OL is and has been the worst unit on this team for years.
Don't think I can agree with this since I think it's forgetting just how awful the roster was when Fisher was hired. In fact I think the whole reason why the OL is in such a sad state now is because it wasn't horrible then.

It wasn't good, but the OL was just average enough for Fisher to try to get by with it while he turned over all the other worse position units. So he tried to add Wells & Long, patch in vets, move Saffold around, get by with late round draft picks, etc. -- and in 2012 and 2013 it kind of worked, the OL was decent at times. But then the plan got wrecked by injuries and guys not panning out.

I think it's fair to criticize how Fisher approached the OL with the opinion that he should have laid the foundation first and invested premium OL draft picks to develop for the future, not gamble on the overpriced old fragile guys. But that's easy to say now when the team isn't a 2-14 laughingstock. Remember at the time all the thinking was that just a couple playmakers could help reach a 7-9 finish, good enough to win the weakest division in the NFL.

Memphis Ram

Legend
BTW, I wonder if some might need to re-read what was presented. I did.

Draft pickings: St. Louis is in a good spot with the 10th overall selection in the draft's first round. Cornerback and receiver are potential areas of need, but the Rams could also end up taking a quarterback if they decide to lay the groundwork for life after Bradford.

And it seems that all the author stated was that CB and WR are potential areas of need that may be had with 10th overall selection in the draft.

Now follow me here.

Interior linemen or even long term RTs (Robinson has the LT spot) aren't typically selected within the top 10 picks of the NFL draft. The last two (Warmack and Cooper) broke that mindset of many years hence AND to date NEITHER has lived up to their selections. Cooper is even going to have to make a sharp turn in his career to avoid being considered bust.

Just some food for thought.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Buddy, I respect you very much but not here. We will probably disagree on this and so be it. But if I am running a business, and my business is the Rams, no way in haiti's do I bank on Jake Long. One would have to be a fool to do that with his past history. Thoughts like that are what have gotten this OL in the shape it is today. With Jake's history, and god bless him, I wouldn't put bank on him even as a depth player. You really can't be serious here?

I hope the team might see the need on OLine as highly as some of us as you said in this post. I can appreciate that.

I agree with Bonifay that we're pretty much down to one OT. We'll see what happens with Barksdale, but I have a gut feeling someone will overpay him. Like Saffold last year. Don't even go there with kicking Saffold out to OT.. He seems to get injured out there way more often than at Guard.. lol I don't want him at OT..

You're my Joel Buschbaum of this site. Kind of disappointed here. You're acting like a Russ Lande.. lol Please don't be telling me we need to draft a CB when that's a position of strength we have right now. Hell, we could even trade a SS right now. CB's we need not draft though. Good Lord. Peace.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
We have 3, maybe 4 CBs worthy of starting right now, and two of them could leave the building next year. Plus, you need 3 starting level CB's at a minimum because teams are in nickle more than 50% of the time these days..... and to protect against injury.

O-Line and QB are definitely more immediate needs, but smart teams are always looking ahead at what's coming down the road and CB could become a major issue next year. So picking another CB this year would be a wise thing to do....and that doesn't mean it has to be a high pick.

So who do you have in mind? Just asking.. We have no 4th pick.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So who do you have in mind? Just asking.. We have no 4th pick.

I don't have anyone in mind. I just started studying the draft class. I just wouldn't be surprised if one of their picks ends up being a CB. Right now they don't have a 4th and 6th round pick, but they are projected to get a 6th round comp pick and could trade down at some point in the draft to pick up another pick.....like when they dropped down 5 spots to get an additional 5th, picked Pead/Watkins and missed out on Wagner. :cry:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I don't have anyone in mind. I just started studying the draft class. I just wouldn't be surprised if one of their picks ends up being a CB. Right now they don't have a 4th and 6th round pick, but they are projected to get a 6th round comp pick and could trade down at some point in the draft to pick up another pick.....like when they dropped down 5 spots to get an additional 5th, picked Pead/Watkins and missed out on Wagner. :cry:

Okay.... lol No offense brother but if you wish to draft a CB in later rounds.. I would like to know who you like? No dun, but just saying.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Watkins?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Here ya go my friend.. Not saying CBS is correct, but not to far off the boat. :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/CB

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I tend to look at NFL defense much like i do NBA defense, although the dynamic is slightly different.
In basketball you want to be your strongest defensively on the perimeter and at the rim(meaning you need a Guard who can lock down opposing Guards and a big man who can defend the rim).

In the NFL, ideally... you need an elite pass rusher at the LOS and an elite corner on the back end.

We could use a stud CB more than a stud LB in my opinion.
You may be right mojo, IDK, But we seem pretty thin when it comes to good LB's!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Buddy, I respect you very much but not here. We will probably disagree on this and so be it. But if I am running a business, and my business is the Rams, no way in haiti's do I bank on Jake Long. One would have to be a fool to do that with his past history. Thoughts like that are what have gotten this OL in the shape it is today. With Jake's history, and god bless him, I wouldn't put bank on him even as a depth player. You really can't be serious here?

I hope the team might see the need on OLine as highly as some of us as you said in this post. I can appreciate that.

I agree with Bonifay that we're pretty much down to one OT. We'll see what happens with Barksdale, but I have a gut feeling someone will overpay him. Like Saffold last year. Don't even go there with kicking Saffold out to OT.. He seems to get injured out there way more often than at Guard.. lol I don't want him at OT..

You're my Joel Buschbaum of this site. Kind of disappointed here. You're acting like a Russ Lande.. lol Please don't be telling me we need to draft a CB when that's a position of strength we have right now. Hell, we could even trade a SS right now. CB's we need not draft though. Good Lord. Peace.

Looks like we have a reading comprehension issue here. I never said that the Rams should bank on Jake Long. I merely stated that he hasn't been released yet and that he might not be if he were to take a paycut. And keeping him on the team doesn't necessarily mean that the team is banking on him and shouldn't further address the position. He could merely be another positional option. Remember, not all rookies can come in and be effective immediately.

As far as CB being a position of strength, I beg to differ. Sure, they have bodies, but they don't have an impact player at the position. One capable of taking away (figure of speech) a teams #1 or even #2 WR. And again, the team didn't need Aaron Donald when they selected him, but I'm sure glad that they did as teams shouldn't pass on superior talent in order to attempt to fill a so-called immediate need.

Last edited: