My take on DB rotation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This opinion is based on film study, I won't be able to attend camp til a week from Thursday.

Let me start by saying I believe Mo Alexander has a bright future but this is a redshirt year. The same goes for Christian Bryant, Greg Reid, and Marcus Roberson to lesser degrees. Beside the learning curve all three rookies face, health issues are also a factor this year. Think Barrett Jones...

The starting outside corners, JJ and TJ will flourish under Williams. Both will give up a handful of big plays by bad gambles but those will be exceeded by big plays that will impact games much more. Think of how the GSOT didn't worry about turnovers because they knew their aggressiveness would greatly outweigh the losses. Bottom line, rather than safe, soft cushions...QBs will have to gamble their receivers will win those battles outside.

LJoyner is our second best offseason get. While Donald will likely get DROY accolades, Joyner's development/success is the essential key to an effective secondary. Should he lock down the nickel role, JJ and TJ get to stay outside. If LJ is injured, JJ will need to go inside and we will have to hope Gaines is ready for the outside and he will be limited to zone coverage because he's maybe a couple years away from competently handling press duty. Sorry, I never want to see McGee or McLeod playing more than spot CB duty. Furthermore, when we have three linebackers on the field, I want Joyner in the FS role. While McGee or Daniels will be our best FS options in the nickel, neither have Joyner's juice in the base set.

Matt Daniels and Cody Davis both represent depth potential behind McDonald and Joyner. If they stay healthy, both could push McLeod. Their presence is important because they allow the redshirt guys to develop in practice rather than be forced to be liabilities this year.

I purposely saved McDonald for last. He is the one player with the pedigree, physicality, and intelligence GWill can trust for the big play role in the secondary. Face it, this will be a balls to the wall defense that will live or die by the big play. The aggressive mindset will make them feared but more than occasionally die by the same sword. TJ goes for kill shots and this leads to missed tackles. While he might improve by experience and film study...do you really think Cecil, Williams, and Fisher will EVER tell him to dial back his aggressive nature? Nickel, please... We have a budding Pro Bowler in our midst.

Last edited by a moderator:

nighttrain

Legend
Looking for more snaps for Safety Cody Davis this season. First four games on PS, then played in final 12. He is only gonna get better.
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree with TJ...Mo Alexander will surprise many in here.....I got faith in that kid. L. Joyner hopefully stays in the slot...Or just corner..All the time....Don't know why so many doubt McGee? What did he ever do to deserve that? No faith in Cody Davis...Gaines is a zone corner, will he work with Williams D?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I find it humorous how so many people have already written off Brandon McGee, based on what, 30 snaps on defense in a rookie year? All the while Cody Davis seems to get so much hype without showing much of anything on the field.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I agree with TJ...Mo Alexander will surprise many in here.....I got faith in that kid. L. Joyner hopefully stays in the slot...Or just corner..All the time....Don't know why so many doubt McGee? What did he ever do to deserve that? No faith in Cody Davis...Gaines is a zone corner, will he work with Williams D?

Wow, we basically wrote the same post at the same time.

I AGREE!

nighttrain

Legend
I find it humorous how so many people have already written off Brandon McGee, based on what, 30 snaps on defense in a rookie year? All the while Cody Davis seems to get so much hype without showing much of anything on the field.
None of our DB's showed much of anything last season under McDonald, and see very little wrote about Davis except for myself doing it
train

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I only listed Daniels as depth to push McGee. While I like and appreciate McGee's contributions, I evaluate his performance much like I do with Pettis. While he was our best option last year...there is a reason we acquired so many DBs this offseason.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
None of our DB's showed much of anything last season under McDonald, and see very little wrote about Davis except for myself doing it
train

You're not the only one. Cody Davis has been hyped by many Rams fans on many boards since we signed him as a UDFA. If he hadn't run a 4.4 40 at his Pro Day, nobody would even be talking about him.

I'm curious of what you've seen that makes you think he can make a difference. In college he played slower than he runs in shorts. He wasn't very physical and his instincts were lacking.

If he ends up being a valuable defender in the NFL it'll be a major surprise. I do think his speed and solid wrap up tackling could make him a valuable special teamer. That's ultimately where I think he'll carve his niche if he does end up on the 53-man.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My opinion on the DBs is only one needs to be more consistent: Janoris Jenkins. Let's see that "top 10 pick talent come that I've heard so much about. I like Trumaine Johnson, and so far he's been more steady than Jackrabbit.

Lamarcus Joyner + TJ McDonald have so much potential oozing; I really, really hope they are ready day 1.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well said, maybe two points to add to this. I think with Joyner, he is going to be used all over field depending on matchups. I think most of his time this year will be in the slot but based on matchups I can see him playing some FS also. As for Greg Reid, I agree with you but he is a pretty polished player and if his head is on straight and is healthy, he should have a much larger impact than fans expect. He was a very good player at Florida State and had probably 2nd round talent.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I only listed Daniels as depth to push McGee. While I like and appreciate McGee's contributions, I evaluate his performance much like I do with Pettis. While he was our best option last year...there is a reason we acquired so many DBs this offseason.

While I can appreciate your take on this, why are you making the claim that McGee is a Safety? Unless YOU are projecting him in that role, he has never been listed as such, nor has he played there since being a Ram.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I can appreciate your take on this, why are you making the claim that McGee is a Safety? Unless YOU are projecting him in that role, he has never been listed as such, nor has he played there since being a Ram.

My bad. I was thinking McCleod. By Zig referencing Davis, I naturally thought about the competing player w a Mc name that played both S and CB. Obviously McGee is a CB we were looking to upgrade w Joyner, Gaines, and Roberson.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My bad. I was thinking McCleod. By Zig referencing Davis, I naturally thought about the competing player w a Mc name that played both S and CB. Obviously McGee is a CB we were looking to upgrade w Joyner, Gaines, and Roberson.
thank you,, just was curious ,,, makes perfect sense now,, LOL

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not writing him off, but he has some really rough moments last year. But, I agree, it's early for him.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm not writing him off, but he has some really rough moments last year. But, I agree, it's early for him.

If 5th rounders even see the field, they tend to have some rough moments. I don't think that's any indication of his future career arc.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If 5th rounders even see the field, they tend to have some rough moments. I don't think that's any indication of his future career arc.

As a fan, I hope ultimate success for all players who wear horns. W that said, I trust my eyes over my heart. If McGee ascends to All Pro status I will be most elated. And while he has physical attributes that garner attention, I haven't seen it translate to the field yet. I'm thinking if Cecil, Fisher, and Snead disagreed w me, there might be less than four potential upgrades added in the draft w Gaines, Roberson, Joyner, and Reid.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As a fan, I hope ultimate success for all players who wear horns. W that said, I trust my eyes over my heart. If McGee ascends to All Pro status I will be most elated. And while he has physical attributes that garner attention, I haven't seen it translate to the field yet. I'm thinking if Cecil, Fisher, and Snead disagreed w me, there might be less than four potential upgrades added in the draft w Gaines, Roberson, Joyner, and Reid.

I think a solid #4 CB would be more than enough for Brandon McGee to deserve that 5th round draft slot. If he cracks the starting lineup I'd be worried.

Other than Joyner, none of the players you mentioned cost as much in resources as McGee did. You gotta fill out that depth chart and they've done so with a 6th rounder, a UDFA, and a street free agent. I don't think that speaks as much to a lack of faith in McGee as it does to the fact that you can't have too many solid corners with today's passing offenses.

Could they outplay him? You bet. But bringing in those guys for depth doesn't say much about a lack of a future for McGee, IMO.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I think a solid #4 CB would be more than enough for Brandon McGee to deserve that 5th round draft slot. If he cracks the starting lineup I'd be worried.

Other than Joyner, none of the players you mentioned cost as much in resources as McGee did. You gotta fill out that depth chart and they've done so with a 6th rounder, a UDFA, and a street free agent. I don't think that speaks as much to a lack of faith in McGee as it does to the fact that you can't have too many solid corners with today's passing offenses.

Could they outplay him? You bet. But bringing in those guys for depth doesn't say much about a lack of a future for McGee, IMO.

100% agreement.