My mobile home park manager embezzled over $50K from us

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great job @snackdaddy.. This kind of shit infuriates me. That bitch needs jail time and that management company needs to be deep sixed as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a thought on a side note, you may want to take a look at your credit report to make sure the “delinquency” wasn’t sent to the credit bureaus. Most people don’t look at their credit until they apply for it. And that is the worst time to find out “mistakes”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good job, Charlie.
Way to be proactive.
It's the only way to get anyone to do anything, unfortunately.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Nice work Snackdaddy.

I am trying to understand what the retirement/trailer park company was thinking on this? It wasn't any of the residents' fault. They paid their Bill. The company knew it too. So, did someone figure that they would just try to get back their lost money by scaring it out of the residents? Or did someone not get the info that the money had been embezzled, and followed procedure?
I suspect it's an automated system that tracks bills and send notices, etc. The people processing things don't know what's going on and probably aren't paying attention.

Plus, you know, make somebody accidentally pays twice when they shouldn't. Come on, whose fault would that be?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work Snackdaddy.

I am trying to understand what the retirement/trailer park company was thinking on this? It wasn't any of the residents' fault. They paid their Bill. The company knew it too. So, did someone figure that they would just try to get back their lost money by scaring it out of the residents? Or did someone not get the info that the money had been embezzled, and followed procedure?

Oh, they knew money was being embezzled. I was the one who found out when I went to the bank to ask where the money went. I immediately went into the office with the information and the president of the company was in there. I have to think they were trying to intimidate us.

Most residents didn't want to talk to the reporter out of fear of reprisal. I don't scare easily. I was the one who contacted the local paper. The TV station saw the article and piggy backed off it. The reporter said she asked a man if he was one of the victims. He said yes. But he said "I don't want any trouble" and he wouldn't talk to her.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I suspect that bitch has some kind of inappropriate relationship with the "boss" of the management company... or is related to the boss somehow. Something smells big time there. Follow the money and the truth will be revealed. There's no way that nobody at that management company didn't see this happening long ago.

Its possible. She's 35 years old and fairly attractive. She lived on site where everyone else is 55 or older. I have no idea what her qualifications were when they hired her. I thought she mighta been a relative or something. As far as I know she hasn't been arrested yet.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Its possible. She's 35 years old and fairly attractive. She lived on site where everyone else is 55 or older. I have no idea what her qualifications were when they hired her. I thought she mighta been a relative or something. As far as I know she hasn't been arrested yet.

Something seems very suspicious about this. I'm sure the police will easily figure out if there is any kind of relationship going on with her and the management company. I have a funny feeling about this. Hopefully the police department follows through with this. I would be on the phone with them daily if I were you.

I sure hope this mess gets worked out for all of you.. and that the perp (and possibly the management company) gets what's coming to them for their crimes. Good luck going forward.

The Ram hat was an excellent touch btw!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The local paper wants a follow up in a few days. I don't want to be beating a dead horse. But I think I might if I can get them to mention she hasn't been arrested yet. Might motivate the police to move a little faster.

I didn't care for the detective's response that there was no guarantee she would be arrested. When I told her I would mention that to the news she said "I'm not saying there's no guarantee". So I replied "So you can guarantee it?" She says "I'm not saying that either". So I said "Either you can or your cannot guarantee an arrest. Sounds like you can't so I'll be mentioning that to the news." I really want this woman arrested and jailed.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice work Snackdaddy.

This. I can understand initially sending out delinquency notices, but once they found out the money was embezzled, it was their loss. You paid, and can prove it. Their employee then stole the money from the company. Not your fault at all, but legally THEY are liable. What they should have done is immediately fixed the reports showing that you all had paid, and then started legal proceedings to get the money back from the thief - and if that's not possible, start criminal proceedings.

Now they are still out the money but have a ton of bad press to boot. And if they try to retaliate, you have contacts in the press who would love to do a follow-up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd threaten a class action lawsuit.

You'll have REAL damages if they've reported you to the credit bureaus and if they did it in bad faith, there are substantial criminal and civil penalties.

it's awesome you stood up and that's fantastic.

Keep pushing. As they say, fight until the fight is won.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. I can understand initially sending out delinquency notices, but once they found out the money was embezzled, it was their loss. You paid, and can prove it. Their employee then stole the money from the company. Not your fault at all, but legally THEY are liable. What they should have done is immediately fixed the reports showing that you all had paid, and then started legal proceedings to get the money back from the thief - and if that's not possible, start criminal proceedings.

Now they are still out the money but have a ton of bad press to boot. And if they try to retaliate, you have contacts in the press who would love to do a follow-up.

I hate to assume the worst, but having seen what I've seen as a lawyer, it's hard not to assume the worst. My assumption here is that they were betting that they could scare people into paying because those people don't know their rights. As much as people hate lawyers, that's why we're here. There are a lot of greedy people out there who are all too happy to exploit others when they believe they can get away with it. It's good to be friends with a lawyer because companies think twice when they know you have representation and know your rights.

The reality of the situation is that they have to eat the loss unless they can intimidate you guys into paying.(because the odds of getting anything from the embezzler are quite low) They figure that they're dealing with older people who don't have the disposable income to hire a lawyer. Threatening to put older people out on the street is such a scary thing for them that they'll just cave and pay. As a lawyer, I love sticking it to those sort of people.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The reality of the situation is that they have to eat the loss unless they can intimidate you guys into paying.(because the odds of getting anything from the embezzler are quite low) They figure that they're dealing with older people who don't have the disposable income to hire a lawyer. Threatening to put older people out on the street is such a scary thing for them that they'll just cave and pay. As a lawyer, I love sticking it to those sort of people.

My wife can attest how stubborn I can be. I made it clear to the company reps that if I had to pay $3,000 to anyone it would be to an attorney. And I'll be asking for a lot more than that 3K back. Once I dig in I don't give in. Even if it cost me money to do it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hate to assume the worst, but having seen what I've seen as a lawyer,
As much as people hate lawyers, that's why we're here
It's good to be friends with a lawyer
They figure that they're dealing with older people who don't have the disposable income to hire a lawyer.
As a lawyer, I love sticking it to those sort of people.
So what line of work are you in, Jrry?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My wife can attest how stubborn I can be. I made it clear to the company reps that if I had to pay $3,000 to anyone it would be to an attorney. And I'll be asking for a lot more than that 3K back. Once I dig in I don't give in. Even if it cost me money to do it.

Good. The world needs more stubborn, fearless folks.

So what line of work are you in, Jrry?

Everybody on this site knows that. :LOL:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good job, Snack... stay diligent!