My Heart Goes out to Front Office

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Could you imagine the uproar if we had drafted Mettenberger, whom is looking pretty good

"Great! Bradford AND our draft pick are both coming off ACL's!"
But, but. but.... he wasn't drafted til the 6th round, so he can't be a developmental guy!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last people I feel sorry for over the situation is the Rams FO. If they did their job, then Hill will at least be respectable. With what I have seen from the OL and our question marks all over the secondary, backup QB likely won't be the biggest issue either way.
Jesus, this is a pretty un-empathetic crowd.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now it's looking like the most significant signing in the off season was Shaun Hill. The FO did cover their behinds by signing him. In fact, the Rams organization got high praise from various sports talk personnel for getting Hill just in case this kind of thing happened. The Rams are true to their word. They said Sam was their guy and they kept their word by not getting another potential #1 QB to start a crapfest with Sam. Loyalty and faith in Bradford, that is what the FO is guilty of. If there is any justice, we will win with Shaun Hill and when we get to the playoffs, people will be supporting the underdog Rams because the initial bad luck of losing Bradford resulted in them still finding a way to win. Bring it on! I still believe!

duckhunter

Starter
and yet, AJ McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberger, all QBs who were supposed to 2-4th round developmental guys you refer to, were taken in rounds 5 and 6. And honestly, i wouldnt trade any of the top picks (Robinson, Donald, Joyner) which they would have had to forego, to take Garropolo, or Carr, (assuming those are the guys you are taking about). SO NO,, I don't disagree with what they did. Because for all anyone knows, Gilbert will turn out to be every bit as good.

Maybe, Maybe not about the QBs. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure they had QBs rated higher than Gilbert and wished they would have pulled the trigger sooner. Would have gave them a little more cover under the circumstances and maybe us a better prospect.

May have alleviated some of the angst the fan base is going through. I think it may not look well for the FO and actually be seen as a red herring to point to Gilbert as the developmental guy right now. I can see a reporter grilling them hard and looking not as good as you want your coach to look. Personally, I like what June Jones does with his QBs and have a little hopium that the guy turns out. Sure he has the tools.

They will get some tough questions and articles, so gird the loins. No matter what You or I think or say this thing is not going away and will be messy as if we need to return to mud hole.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Maybe, Maybe not about the QBs. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure they had QBs rated higher than Gilbert and wished they would have pulled the trigger sooner. Would have gave them a little more cover under the circumstances and maybe us a better prospect.

May have alleviated some of the angst the fan base is going through. I think it may not look well for the FO and actually be seen as a red herring to point to Gilbert as the developmental guy right now. I can see a reporter grilling them hard and looking not as good as you want your coach to look. Personally, I like what June Jones does with his QBs and have a little hopium that the guy turns out. Sure he has the tools.

They will get some tough questions and articles, so gird the loins. No matter what You or I think or say this thing is not going away and will be messy as if we need to return to mud hole.
Or Shawn Hill actually plays well and it's all a moot point. And Gilbert goes on the practice squad. And he develops into a viable prospect. Which is as likely as any other rookie QB they may have taken. I'm done for the night. This is exhausting. Lol.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Yea, I just don't get why the FO didn't get someone in here as an insurance policy of sorts behind Bradford. It's like they wanted him and everyone else to know that he was THE guy and they weren't going to bring a #2 in that would even come close to challenging him for the starting spot.

It's funny , because I am a Laker fan and was/am pissed off about them signing Kobe to that big money deal after he had 2 major injuries last year. I understand they wanted to make a statement about loyalty and honoring what he has done for the team and the city... I have a hard time with that, and Kobe helped the team win 6 titles and is a future HOFer. If I am having issues with THAT... then you can imagine how I feel about this weird loyalty towards Bradford, who hasn't won squat and isn't even close to being a pro-bowler, let alone HOFer.

duckhunter

Starter
Or Shawn Hill actually plays well and it's all a moot point. And Gilbert goes on the practice squad. And he develops into a viable prospect. Which is as likely as any other rookie QB they may have taken. I'm done for the night. This is exhausting. Lol.

Hill will have his ups and downs but he gives us a shot. Davis is back up. Gilbert goes to PS. The question then do they see it necessary to sign another or trade for another back up. If they do that will be a internet melee for sure.

We could of handled any other injury on the roster with ease, IMO.

duckhunter

Starter
Jesus, this is a pretty un-empathetic crowd.

I think everyone was concerned with SB's durability and expected the Rams to do more than what they did during the offseason.

The timing before the first game couldn't be any worse and the backlash is normal because expectations were high.

Puts the entire season at risk without playing a single game. I can't think of a worse thing to give fans.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think everyone was concerned with SB's durability and expected the Rams to do more than what they did during the offseason.

The timing before the first game couldn't be any worse and the backlash is normal because expectations were high.

Puts the entire season at risk without playing a single game. I can't think of a worse thing to give fans.

I think that you're under - estimating Hill as a QB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Try not to get upset Coach. Most of us have a very small sample size of Gilbert to pull from. You have seen what he is capable of first hand.

Fisher reiterated your reports by stating that Gilbert has looked mu h better In practice then he has SO FAR in games.

For most fans, the unknown can be scary when the season starts in two weeks.

plaza23

I cant really feel any sympathy towards the front office. I have no clue why they were so 100% behind Bradford, when Bradford has never shown that he was very good to begin with, was injury prone, and had a high cap number. It just made no sense. If anything, this Bradford injury gives the front office an out to cut him and save the cap dollars, a decision they should have made in the spring. They'll have to pay him some sort of injury settlement, but at least they can save about $10 mils and bring in some other players to help the team.

All those picks Snead acquired and to never even use one pick on a legitimate QB? Just terrible GM'ing. There's alot of questionable moves (that were questionable at the time) that Snead has made:

- Pead - bust
- Quick - developmental guy in the 2nd round
- Trading a 2nd rounder to get Austin
- Taking a GUARD with the #2 overall pick this past year

Everyone wants to say how bad of team Snead/Fisher inherited, but in reality they inherited the best players still on the team (Quinn, Long, JL55). Getting Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, Stacy were good moves i think. Finding Barksdale a good one. Other than that, lot of Jags and not many difference makers. Gotta find a QB somewhere. I hope Mariotta drops next year.

The front office are responsible for this mess. My heart goes out to Sam, the fans, the players, the venders in the stadium, the parking attendants, local hotels...It doesn't go out to the front office, either give us a winning season with Hill or whoever you want to play at QB, or get out.

Rambition

Rookie
Yes, it's a shame that Sam goes down again. Double Deja-vu.

But.

Did it not enter the front office's collective mind during the off season that SB might get injured again? It definitely wasn't in their execution with Hill and some scrub 6th rounder as backup additions. If they would have at least drafted someone in the third say, they would have given fans some hope and looked like they were on top of things.

The press will give them every opportunity to say they don't value the position or the dog ate their plan or whatever they are going to say.

Pick your poison. Murphy's law-what can go wrong will go wrong. Failing to plan is planning on failure.

Been there, done that, and it's no fun, for sure.
i kind of think hill is going to perform at a higher level, and over more games, than any QB the rams might have drafted this year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
That ended up not working out, and here we are, talking about Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Mallett, and Tim freaking Tebow and not about the young stud we drafted in the past 3 years as an insurance policy.

I'm not talking about any of those Turds.

Rambition

Rookie
Now it's looking like the most significant signing in the off season was Shaun Hill. The FO did cover their behinds by signing him. In fact, the Rams organization got high praise from various sports talk personnel for getting Hill just in case this kind of thing happened. The Rams are true to their word. They said Sam was their guy and they kept their word by not getting another potential #1 QB to start a crapfest with Sam. Loyalty and faith in Bradford, that is what the FO is guilty of. If there is any justice, we will win with Shaun Hill and when we get to the playoffs, people will be supporting the underdog Rams because the initial bad luck of losing Bradford resulted in them still finding a way to win. Bring it on! I still believe!
AMEN, rams bro!!!!

duckhunter

Starter
I think that you're under - estimating Hill as a QB.

Sure, I could be but he hasn't carried the load in a long time.

If Hill gets them into the playoffs, it looks like a good move.

Otherwise, just a square filling move.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I cant really feel any sympathy towards the front office. I have no clue why they were so 100% behind Bradford, when Bradford has never shown that he was very good to begin with, was injury prone, and had a high cap number. It just made no sense. If anything, this Bradford injury gives the front office an out to cut him and save the cap dollars, a decision they should have made in the spring. They'll have to pay him some sort of injury settlement, but at least they can save about $10 mils and bring in some other players to help the team.

All those picks Snead acquired and to never even use one pick on a legitimate QB? Just terrible GM'ing. There's alot of questionable moves (that were questionable at the time) that Snead has made:

- Pead - bust
- Quick - developmental guy in the 2nd round
- Trading a 2nd rounder to get Austin
- Taking a GUARD with the #2 overall pick this past year

Everyone wants to say how bad of team Snead/Fisher inherited, but in reality they inherited the best players still on the team (Quinn, Long, JL55). Getting Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, Stacy were good moves i think. Finding Barksdale a good one. Other than that, lot of Jags and not many difference makers. Gotta find a QB somewhere. I hope Mariotta drops next year.

You do understand it takes a few years for guys to develop right?

Pretty early to write off all these "horrible" picks by the "terrible" staff.

IMO, it is VERY hard to come up with any logical argument that proves this roster's talent isn't MUCH better than any team before Fisher and Snead arrived. They have done a pretty good job IMO.

This team was so bad with talent what did you want them to do? You have to try and create an even balance of talent ACROSS the roster. Not just one position. I mean Shaun Hill gives us the BEST option to win this year. None of the guys that could have been drafted instead of the list you mentioned would give them as good as chance to win THIS year. Yes, perhaps they would have given the Rams a better chance in the future, but that is what Bradford was supposed to do.

Bradford was only 26. It is not like he is 30. They gambled he was going to be healthy and they lost. But it was a decent gamble. In this league your starter goes down you are in trouble. Its that simple.