More on Gil Brandt's Rams Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
3e3be7b8ed4a4aef8f7823b.png

http://101sports.com/category/misc-blog ... st-round?/

With only four NFL teams still playing, we have entered the “other” season of the NFL. Not the preseason, the regular season or the postseason. I am talking about mock draft season. Between now and the actual draft, thousands of websites will deliver hundreds of their own mock drafts. Some sites hold more credibility than others, and those are the ones we keep an eye out for.

The first mock draft that caught our eyes was that of NFL.com’s Gil Brandt. He compiled his 2013 mock draft and the Rams’ two selections in the first round are compelling.

With their first pick (16th overall) in the first round, Brandt has the Rams taking Alabama running back Eddie Lacy. The pick is intriguing, especially with the future of Steven Jackson in limbo. Lacy, is a Jackson clone. He isn’t as tall as Steven, or as heavy (yet), but he is a bulldozer of a back and will knock people over. Lacy finished with 1,322 yards and 17 scores this year at Alabama. Brandt has him as the first running back coming off of the board.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrnpAK4n5Y[/youtube]

With their second first rounder (23rd overall) Brandt has the Rams upgrading the wide receiver position and selecting Keenan Allen out of Cal. Here is CBSSportsline.com’s scouting report on Allen:

Strengths: Has a long, tapered build with prototypical height for the position. Very good all-around athlete. Good initial quickness, balance and lateral agility. Is a smooth accelerator with sneaky build-up speed. Natural big play threat who isn't afraid of contact and has very good vision and patience to set up blocks. Rarely allows passes to get past his hands and into his chest. Typically snatches passes out of the air, showing very good hand-eye coordination and a wide catching radius due to his length, flexibility and big hands. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Experienced route-runner who has extensive experience lining up outside and in the slot. Quick hands and feet to slip past press coverage. Shows a natural savvy running his routes, altering his speeds, dipping his shoulder and exploding out of his cuts to generate separation from the defender. Does a nice job of shielding defensive backs from the ball with his size. Wastes little time getting upfield. Competitive, attentive downfield blocker.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite straight-line speed. Is quicker and more agile than his size would indicate but does not possess the elite elusiveness to consistently make defenders miss in tight quarters. Will occasionally drop catchable passes, though this typically occurs when he's in traffic and attempting to make a defender miss before securing the ball. Missed the final three games of the 2012 season with a left knee injury that will need to be evaluated at the Combine.

Compares To: Jordy Nelson, WR, Green Bay Packers -- Like Nelson, Allen possesses just enough straight-line speed to beat defenders on the outside, as well as the size, toughness and sure hands to attack over the middle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskHoNba-JE[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have a hard time getting excited about a running back at 16 after using a 2nd on Pead last year.

We could have landed a starter at that spot if Pead ain't the guy. Lavonte David and Peter Konz come to mind as popular picks at that spot!

:grr:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
As this board's resident Lacy proponent, I could live with that :mrgreen:

Not convinced about the argument re: 2nd rounder on Pead last year. Admitting mistakes early is not something we want to see, but it's something previous staffs have struggled with. That in itself is progress. If the Rams braintrust, who have earned our support and trust thus far, believe RB in round 1 is the way forward, I support it.

Pead might get it. Lacy already has it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I thought that Pead started to come on towards the end of the season. I don't think it is necissarily a wasted pick. That being said I'm not sure that Pead can be starter due to his frame, which is why we may still need one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
brokeu91 said:
I thought that Pead started to come on towards the end of the season. I don't think it is necissarily a wasted pick. That being said I'm not sure that Pead can be starter due to his frame, which is why we may still need one.

I'm not giving up on him either. We didnt see enough of him to know what he's got.

But the 50th overall selection better have starter potential. That's where a RB at 16 this year would rub me wrong... What did we draft Pead for?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
What did we draft Pead for?

Presumably as a change of pace and I suppose some youth.

Thing is, just as with the position switch between Smith and Saffold, a similar thing (of sorts) occurred between Pead and Richardson. So much for statistics, evaluations and draft pick order when it comes to actually producing. Anyway, this is a long winded vote in support of consideration for Lacy as a power back (should) Jackson leave. Personally, I don't believe either Pead or Richardson are likely to hold up physically speaking, as well as Lacy (should) over the longer haul (all things being equal).

I am less enthusiastic about Brandt's 23'rd pick however.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
What did we draft Pead for?

Presumably as a change of pace and I suppose some youth.

Thing is, just as with the position switch between Smith and Saffold, a similar thing (of sorts) occurred between Pead and Richardson. So much for statistics, evaluations and draft pick order when it comes to actually producing. Anyway, this is a long winded vote in support of consideration for Lacy as a power back (should) Jackson leave. Personally, I don't believe either Pead or Richardson are likely to hold up physically speaking, as well as Lacy (should) over the longer haul (all things being equal).

I am less enthusiastic about Brandt's 23'rd pick however.

The thought of losing Jackson isn't something I want to think about. But, if it happens, I'd support Lacy on the assumption SJ's dollars are reinvested toward a "name WR via FA".

There! I compromised! :cheese:

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I have a hard time getting excited about a running back at 16 after using a 2nd on Pead last year.

We could have landed a starter at that spot if Pead ain't the guy. Lavonte David and Peter Konz come to mind as popular picks at that spot!

i'm still on board with Pead/Richardson and resigning SJ as the best solution.. Draft a Safety and OLB in the first round, then the two best OL with our 2nd and 3rd picks..maybe a reciever late, but if we need one to produce day one, that's who we target as a FA..

train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
CGI_Ram said:

2nd round is where we should get a RB. If SJack doesn't return.

Speaking of David/Konz...anyone else cheesed that Torrey Smith isn't a Ram? I like Lance and all, but Smith would keep defenses honest.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing...

2011: Quinn, Smith, Pettis
2012: Brockers, Quick, Jenkz, David/Konz

Probably would be in the playoffs right now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:

i'm still on board with Pead/Richardson and resigning SJ as the best solution.. Draft a Safety and OLB in the first round, then the two best OL with our 2nd and 3rd picks..maybe a reciever late, but if we need one to produce day one, that's who we target as a FA..

train

To be honest; this is exactly what I expect (with what we know today).

I could see TE in the 1st, maybe.

But it's hard to argue with your picks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:

train

I agree with an off season to improve on thier understanding of the offense and lifting etc, I can see both of those two coming back a little faster and 10 lbs heavier I think we stick with them.
IF however SJ doesn't resign and Ganaway isn't the power back they want I could see us going for a power back somewhere.
I could see the WR though and a safety with o-line as a second and even a third round pick . LB I'd go for in FA ,that IMO is a position where you can evaluate VERY WELL from tape and get a very servicable guy in FA , Dunbar worked out pretty well and another guy like him we'd be pretty well set .

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I may be in the minority but I would be pretty unhappy with these two picks. WR is a position of need but I don't think Allen is even the best WR in the draft. Not even top 2-3 for me. While Lacy is a good talent I just can't see that as being BPA or one of major need. OL and SS would probably offer BPA and position of need at those spots.
There is talent at both of those positions in round 2 and 3. Just my opinion though and I manage everything from my couch :)