Mizzou's Sam as a Ram? Fisher says no problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Mizzou's Sam as a Ram? Fisher says no problem
• By Jim Thomas

[www.stltoday.com]

With a roster brimming with talented defensive ends, from Robert Quinn to Eugene Sims, the Rams probably won’t be in the market for University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam in the upcoming draft.

Even so, coach Jeff Fisher says he’d have no qualms about having Sam on his roster.

“We were aware of the situation before his courageous announcement,” Fisher said Thursday. “We have a preliminary draft grade on him, like we do all of our other prospects. He will be discussed as a fine football player. And he will be discussed no differently than any other prospect.”

Sam made national news Sunday when he announced that he was gay, meaning he probably will become the first openly gay player in NFL history once the draft takes place in May.

Linebacker James Laurinaitis, who was at Rams Park Thursday training on his own, was almost eloquent in discussing Sam and the prospect of an openly gay player in the league.

“There’s 53 guys on a football team from many different cultural backgrounds, with different political views, a lot of different views on a lot of things,” Laurinaitis said. “When you bring your lunch pail and you go to work and you’re grinding, you’re working hard in practice and you’re going through the workouts, you develop a bond and a love for your teammates.

“There’s some guys in this locker room that I don’t see eye-to-eye on a lot of things with. But when it comes to playing football, I know they have my back and I have theirs.”

He said that dynamic would be no different if Sam were on the Rams’ roster.

“The thing about the whole Michael Sam thing to me is he’s gonna be evaluated by what he does between the lines,” Laurinaitis said. “If he’s a St. Louis Ram and he comes to work, and proves himself through camp and OTAs and all that, then I’ll have his back. It can help us win football games.”

In a broader sense, whether you agree with Sam’s sexual orientation or not, Laurinaitis said it’s a matter of respect.

“He’s a human being,” Laurinaitis said. “And every human being deserves to be treated with respect. If he gives respect, he’ll earn his respect. To me, sexual orientation, race, political view — anything — that doesn’t give you the right to not treat somebody with respect.

“They’re still a human being. They come from a family, they have feelings, and they deserve to be treated a certain way because of it.”

WILLIAMS’ PLAYBOOKS

Two weeks ago, former Jacksonville defensive end Renaldo Wynn said Gregg Williams told him the reason why William’s Tennessee team defeated Jacksonville in the 1999 season’s AFC title game was because he had the Jaguars’ playbook. According to Wynn, Williams told him so when he later joined Williams with Washington.

“I have playbooks of everybody’s team,” Williams said Thursday at his introductory press conference as Rams defensive coordinator.

Williams said he’s a “voluminous” reader and loves to collect playbooks. He said old playbooks of former coaches Buddy Ryan and George Allen are two of his most treasured ones.

“Every time a free agent walks in a building, he gives you the playbook,” Williams said. “I’ve had guys that have come in to play for me (from) other places that bring my playbook ... they got it from guys that went and played for them.

“We always have everybody’s playbook and (Wynn’s remarks) was really a joke story to listen to that whole thing. When you turn the film on, do you have their playbook? When you match the audio to the thing, do you have the playbook?”

“How much traction did ‘Omaha’ get when Peyton (Manning) said ‘Omaha’ 46 times one game on TV? What’s that mean? It doesn’t mean anything.”

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If he doesn't get drafted,I'll lay odds he goes to training camp with us or the Chiefs, unless he wants to play for a Texas team ,I expect he'll get FA offers from most teams.

BTW we are talking about the football player NOT THIS GUY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sams :sick:

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I think the rams could use him. Hayes contract is up this year. Wouldn't hurt to have a rotational guy. As a mizzou guy, I watched him play a lot. Dude is a stud. K.Ealy is a stud too, but if Sam had Ealys size, he would be a first round talent.

BadCompany

Rookie
What about drafting him as a project linebacker? We might have some long term needs there, and while he wasn't exactly stellar at that position at the Senior Bowl we're talking about a one-game sample size. With a year or two training as a depth guy do you think he could develop into a mid-to-late round steal? I'm not saying to draft him ahead of whoever else you have on your list, but if he does fall because of this "issue" getting a potential 3rd round talent in the 5th or 6th round would be pretty good, no?

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I was thinking about this. He has Dunbar size. But I'm not sure about his change of direction.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Some scouts have him as not a draft able talent from the git go, FWIW I'm not convinced he didn't do what he did to shame the league into drafting him.
BTW that's just me covering all the bases, no need for the storm troopers to come over the hill I'm fine with him being a Ram in pretty well the same words as Lauranitis said it.

IMO he'll struggle at LB worse than Leonard Little did but he's not the freak athlete LL was so playing DE at his size won't be comparable.
I say you only draft projects if they have extraordinary athletic ability or are amazingly smart (Barret Jones) I have no idea how smart Sams is but he's not what I call a freak ,his production tells me he'd be a terror on special teams though and if we go for him ,that's what I think the Rams will be wanting from him and in that case OK with a 7th round compensatory pick I'd be fine with that. AND I'm ALWAYS happy to root for Mizzou graduates who don't play for the niners.(y)

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
As far as I've seen, he has always been a 3-5 round pick. Probably closer to 5 than 3. I haven't seen anything saying he was really undraftable. You don't win dpoy in the best conference in football without having a little talent. His issue will he his size. If he was 5" taller. Would it be an issue?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Sam reminds me a little bit of Elvis Dumervil. I don't think that he's nearly as good as Dumervil, but I know that many "experts" downgraded Elvis because of his height/weight when he entered the league.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No thqnks if they want to draft a LB there are plenty of other guys out there better than him and without the media show that will follow him. I want the Rams camp to be all business no hard knocks or any BS detracting from winning football.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd be kind of shocked if the Rams drafted any DE this year, except possibly Clowney if it turns out he's all that.

And as others have said, the Rams don't need the distraction.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not sure it'll be a distraction after one week, maybe two. It'll be a story that's mostly played out by then I would guess.

ram29jackson

Rookie
bla bla bla bla blobbity bla bla bla bla don't sue me blobbity bla bla bla bla we already knew blobbity bla bla bla bla

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He won't be a Ram.

If he's there in the 6th round I'd start to think about it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm getting killed on facebook for saying that this is a non-story. What more can the NFL do? Multiple owner and currently employed frond office employees have come out and said that they would draft him.

jjab360

Legend
Not a good scheme fit for us, and if it's not Clowney we don't really need another DE.

Besides that, anything in his personal life doesn't matter in the least. All it amounts to is extra media attention and a few light hearted jokes in the locker room. Unless you have an Incognito playing for you of course, then it's another story altogether.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm getting killed on facebook for saying that this is a non-story. What more can the NFL do? Multiple owner and currently employed frond office employees have come out and said that they would draft him.
To be fair, everyone's going to SAY they would draft him. The alternative to doing so is front page stories stating that your team is homophobic.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What I'm more interested in is how Fisher knew before the announcement. Did he tell a select few NFL employees before or what? Either way, I'm glad nobody on the Rams is saying anything stupid and want to judge him as a football player only, as they should.

Ram_of_Old

A man's sexual preference on the football field or locker room should not matter. His talent and work ethic should.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is also an SI article quoting sources saying the NFL is not ready for openly gay players

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
To be fair, everyone's going to SAY they would draft him. The alternative to doing so is front page stories stating that your team is homophobic.
Yeah because if you don't approve you must be homophobic