Miami extends Ryan Tannehill's contract through 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...yan-tannehill-to-contract-extension-till-2020

Ryan Tannehill's mega-deal has been completed.

The Miami Dolphins quarterback signed an extension through the 2020 season, the team announced Monday. The 26-year-old is the first of the big four from the 2012 draft class (Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson) to solidify a second deal.

The numbers could very well be a launching pad for Luck, who is working on an extension of his own.

Tannehill capitalized on a career-best 2014 season which included new personal bests in completion percentage, touchdowns (27) and yards (4,045). Armed with a slew of new targets, the team hopes that his trajectory will continue.

The move marks the second time Mike Tannenbaum, the team's new executive vice president of football operations, has overseen a hefty extension for a young quarterback coming off a solid year -- the last was Mark Sanchez with the Jets. While the deal was reasonable considering the market value of a quarterback, it tethered a player to a franchise for a few years longer than anyone hoped.

Of course, Tannehill is not Sanchez. In offensive coordinator Bill Lazor's scheme, Tannehill's looking like a future top-10 player at the position. After a shaky start to his career, he's one of the few cases of a team being rewarded with patience and faith in steady progress.

This certainly gives Russell Wilson leverage and pushes up his asking price :sneaky:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
77Million with 45 guaranteed, almost sounds cheap by todays standards!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dolphins had to do it.

Tannehill is a top 15 QB and you can win with the guy.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I don't really have any complaints with this. I mean who else are they going to go with? Better to lock him up now before he has a bigger year. Once you get a top 15 qb you must lock him up.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Dolphins have been getting better each year and they drafted well. I think they win the division this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nothin' wrong with that deal.
He's worth that money.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The Dolphins have been getting better each year and they drafted well. I think they win the division this year.

I agree. I like that team from top to bottom. Definately my "team to watch" of this season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So it's really a six year, 95M contract now.

For a top 15 QB that's only 26? That's dirt cheap, especially since the college game isn't making QBs anymore...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think this might be somewhere in the neighborhood of what Foles makes if he has a decent season here.

A55VA6

Legend
The most important position in football.. you gotta pay those guys. Tannehill is a solid QB. I think it's a good deal for both sides.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And Seattle wanted to pay Wilson $80M

Bwahahahahahahahahaha....

Pretty sure this put that number to sleep.

It's gonna be a 6 year contract north of $110M. Whether Wilson gets to be the richest QB in the game, I dunno.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
And Seattle wanted to pay Wilson $80M

Bwahahahahahahahahaha....

Pretty sure this put that number to sleep.

It's gonna be a 6 year contract north of $110M. Whether Wilson gets to be the richest QB in the game, I dunno.

Without question Wilson's camp is thinking $20MM per year.

Tannehill's deal averages $16MM.

The difference ($4MM) puts another quality player on or off the roster.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uts-tannehill-in-top-six-of-all-quarterbacks/

“New money” puts Tannehill in top six of all quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2015

tannehill.jpg
Getty Images

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill doesn’t currently rank among the top six quarterbacks in the NFL. His contract does. Sort of. For now.

As so-called “new money” analysis goes, Tannehill gets $77 million over four years. That’s an average of $19.25 million, putting him behind only Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers ($22 million), Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ($20.75 million), Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco ($20.12 million), Saints quarterback Drew Brees ($20 million), and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ($19.8 million).

But the “new money” analysis assumes that all quarterbacks will earn every dollar of their contracts. For Tannehill, who has $21.5 million fully guaranteed at signing (including a signing bonus of $11.59 million), the challenge will be earning a back end that at some point could spike beyond his performance.

Then again, the market could spike even higher, making Tannehill a relative bargain and known quantity by 2019 or 2020, when his “new money” average will have been surpassed by guys like Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, and Philip Rivers.

Before too long, Flacco and Brees could have new deals, too. And young quarterbacks likeBlake Bortles, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota eventually could be in line for big-money deals that nudge the market higher.

Still, for what Tannehill has accomplished in three NFL seasons (63 touchdowns, 42 interceptions, 84.0 passer rating, issues with the deep ball), a second contract with “new money” that puts him in the top six is impressive. It’s now up to him to earn it all — and then to cash in again at some point before the current deal expires in 2020, when he’ll be 32 and eligible for a deal that puts him back in the top six, or higher.

Until then, $77 million over four years is a pretty good second deal for a guy who played receiver for much of his college career.