Memphis Ram Mock 3.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
FREE AGENCY
Rams re-sign Coleman Shelton and give Alaric Jackson and Micheal Hoecht (moves back to DE) the appropriate tenders.

Rams sign Noah Fant, TE, Seahawks

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJ7apuWTiw

NFL DRAFT

1.19 Brian Burns, EDGE, Panthers via TRADE

View: https://youtu.be/G0kHQ_eNE9g?si=r67n3G7LtgwvlWS7

View: https://youtu.be/cR0W65Tu47s?si=Lt7JBiiBMst1C9_d

Rams trade 2024 & 2025 1st round selections for a young stud pass rusher who only turns 26 years old right before the draft. With the Donald effect & Turner improving this kid could potentially set the NFL sack record.

2.52. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 5110, 187 32 1/8” arms

View: https://youtu.be/Xc0gvAUiUFo?si=9YV2i7XIkNRovMYb

Brother of Packers WR Bo Melton, Max and his 32 1/8” arms, ran a 4.39/40 and had a 40 1/2” vertical jump at the combine. He’s a physical CB who is also a good special team player with 4 blocked punts.

3-83 Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College 6033, 314

View: https://youtu.be/bQoraEyGrG0?si=nU3WSMvH6TqGzbIQ

Kevin Dotson gets an offer he can’t refuse on the free market so the Rams seek competition for his spot. Mahogany is a road grader who shined during the East West Shrine practices after 34 career starts. BC seems to run the same rushing scheme as the Rams.

3-100. Tykee Smith, STAR, Georgia 5096, 206

View: https://youtu.be/t3LgXpARMEs?si=Zzyjtad-ZFSaPx-V

Smith provides the Rams with a physical slot defender who plays the run like a linebacker, but can also cover. He lead the team in tackles, INTS, and TFL last season and is the type of player the Rams need vs. the 49ers.

5-153. Ainias Smith, WR/Returner, Texas A&M 5043, 190

View: https://youtu.be/UMRKqPqmUFc?si=LctvCpYlyUZWs8Pz

@OldSchool turned me on to this kid. A former RB turned WR who is also a very good punt returner. A play maker able to be active on game day.

5-154. Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame 6021, 234 (from Steelers)

View: https://youtu.be/l66lWG_4LKM?si=ZBZBXxHtkG3Qxokf

I’ve only seen highlights, but Liufau is said to play with his hair on fire, is a good blitzer, and in pass coverage. 34 ¼” arms can do wonders there. Liufau should also be an asset on special teams.

5-177 Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky 5084, 228

View: https://youtu.be/Ku4n-p8opYE?si=FraLx8v1HL7AMfSf

One of the best RBs in the entire draft class who will probably only be on the board this late because he will turn 25 in November. Good runner, receiver, and blocker.

6-191) Travis Glover, OT, Georgia State 6060, 338 (from Broncos)

View: https://youtu.be/aZaXG5IITO0?si=8aAWK1_aOCYW819a

Glover is a 5 year starter with 34 ½” arms. After a strong showing in the Hula he was a late call up to the Senior Bowl where is was said to fair pretty well. With an 80.7 PFF pass blocking grade he was said to also hold his own vs. North Carolina and LSU.

6-212) TRADED FOR AN UNKNOWN VETERAN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

6-217
Levi D. Rodriguez, DT, Texas A&M-Comm 6014, 297 (comp)

View: https://youtu.be/9biGLEtrkqY?si=n2R1LCghvg-8rh6m

Rodriguez arms measure 3348 and was said to be the consensus top overall player at Spiral Tropical Bowl where he had 3 sacks in the game and was voted MVP.

6-218 Will Reichard, K, Alabama 6010, 190 (comp)

View: https://youtu.be/O5oO4qFrL7g?si=KnNWOIJgm4cUj25Q

2023 STATS 55/55 extra points, 22/25 field goals, 3/3 inside 30 yards, 7/7 30-39 yards, 7/10 40-49 yards, 5/5 50+ yards, 52 long

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of guys in there I really like along with Smith! I wouldn't be upset at all by this off season :) Well done! Plus the Fant addition I think I'm going to keep adding him.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I don’t think Burns is worth two firsts, and he certainly isn’t worth the wages he’ll be after. I would rather spend our FA dollars on Dotson and not lose valuable draft capital, especially with such a talented class this year. We can get someone really good at nineteen, or trade down for more depth.

Fant is a good call in free agency; we definitely need another TE with Higbee out.

I like the rest of the draft; they aren’t necessarily the individual players I would go for, but your selections certainly target positions of need. A really good effort- I would be happy with that in April.

One last thing: what is it with draft season and the word “shined”? It’s like “defensed”- just bad English.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Love everything about this draft. With the addition of a CB1 in FA, and a DL here and there, and this is pretty complete as is.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t think Burns is worth two firsts, and he certainly isn’t worth the wages he’ll be after. I would rather spend our FA dollars on Dotson and not lose valuable draft capital, especially with such a talented class this year. We can get someone really good at nineteen, or trade down for more depth.

Fant is a good call in free agency; we definitely need another TE with Higbee out.

I like the rest of the draft; they aren’t necessarily the individual players I would go for, but your selections certainly target positions of need. A really good effort- I would be happy with that in April.

One last thing: what is it with draft season and the word “shined”? It’s like “defensed”- just bad English.
If they can get Burns for less than two first round picks and a cheaper contract all the better.

But the 19th overall selection in one draft class and what should be an even lower draft selection the following season (hopefully) for a young established stud pass rusher who happens to be just a little over a month older than Byron Young and slightly over a year older than Kobie Turner. Sure, those traded selections could turn out of be studs or merely solid. But they also could be busts. And they may not be able to trade down for a chance at more options who will likely be lesser rated as it takes two to tango. I'd rather have more of a known commodity if the opportunity presented itself. Especially, in what may be Donald's last season.

Burns didn't have the season many wanted last year, but that pitiful offense and rarely, if ever, playing with a lead didn't do him any favors. Plus, I read that Evero dropped him into coverage more than he had ever done so prior to last season. And finally, while perhaps not the best look, he had a short hold in (as opposed to out) and admitted he didn't want to get hurt prior to getting his new deal.

Shined? Take it slang.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
But the 19th overall selection in one draft class and what should be an even lower draft selection the following season (hopefully) for a young established stud pass rusher who happens to be just a little over a month older than Byron Young and slightly over a year older than Kobie Turner. Sure, those traded selections could turn out of be studs or merely solid. But they also could be busts. And they may not be able to trade down for a chance at more options who will likely be lesser rated as it takes two to tango. I'd rather have more of a known commodity if the opportunity presented itself. Especially, in what may be Donald's last season.
I accept your points, but we are going to start thinking about replacing Stafford/Kupp/Donald over the next couple of years. Giving up our 2025 first round pick doesn't help with forward planning.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on Burns: I think he's a very good player, but not worth what you are proposing. :sunglasses:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I accept your points, but we are going to start thinking about replacing Stafford/Kupp/Donald over the next couple of years. Giving up our 2025 first round pick doesn't help with forward planning.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on Burns: I think he's a very good player, but not worth what you are proposing. :sunglasses:
Yeah, but we are still in a window now.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yeah, IMO, Burns eventually replaces Donald as the DLine foundational piece along with Turner.

WRs can be had at any point. Kupp was a 3rd rounder. Puka was a 5th.

QB? That's the issue. But it's not likely that a 1st rounder in 2025 at the bottom of the round is going to be the answer, IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am assuming the competition at RG will be with the veteran OL you gave up a 6th for and Christian Mahogany. I like Mahogany, however, IMO, that will be a falloff from Dotson, but maybe not that much.

Love Ray Davis, Burns makes this draft. Do they like him that much? Be tough to give up an additional #1 pick for, IMHO, not sure the Rams do that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I am assuming the competition at RG will be with the veteran OL you gave up a 6th for and Christian Mahogany. I like Mahogany, however, IMO, that will be a falloff from Dotson, but maybe not that much.

Love Ray Davis, Burns makes this draft. Do they like him that much? Be tough to give up an additional #1 pick for, IMHO, not sure the Rams do that.
I hope I'm wrong, but my fear is that Dotson may get crazy money that the Rams won't match for a guard. Just hard to see them making Dotson one of the highest paid guards in the NFL when they've got a LT entering the final year of his deal. LTs make more even more money. But if they do, I'd probably bet the farm that pick #19 will be a LT so that they can enjoy that rookie contract money.

Yes, the competition would be Mahogany, the veteran acquired via trade, and I'll even add Zach Thomas who was moving people as a guard in a preseason game I saw. Hopefully, they got him bigger and stronger and give up this OT nonsense they tried last year.

They supposedly offer two 1st rounders AND a 2nd rounder for Burns before.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesnt have the players I like, but I love the plan any way.
I wouldnt draft a kicker any higher than a 6th, but I think both Reichard and Karty will go much higher, maybe even 4th round

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The risk is the OL. Shelton and Jackson are variable, Avila and Havenstein are plus players.

That's a lot of pressure on that third rounder/vet that we trade for, and our entire season hinges on it at that point.

That said, love the offseason and I think you did a very realistic job of what it could be....but I think we could afford to do this AND match whatever Dotson gets, knowing we can backload his and Burns' contracts with AD and Stafford coming off the books

Memphis Ram

Legend
The risk is the OL. Shelton and Jackson are variable, Avila and Havenstein are plus players.

That's a lot of pressure on that third rounder/vet that we trade for, and our entire season hinges on it at that point.

That said, love the offseason and I think you did a very realistic job of what it could be....but I think we could afford to do this AND match whatever Dotson gets, knowing we can backload his and Burns' contracts with AD and Stafford coming off the books
Maybe they can afford both with the cap going up and contracts falling off. But next year whomever is playing LT is going to be looking awfully hard at that Dotson contract.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Memphis:

Maybe it’s just me…and Londoner, who think that’s a lotta cheese and draft capital to give up for a guy whose numbers weren’t any better than the Young and Turner last season. There just has to be another way to improve the pass rush. Bringing back Hoecht is a good start. I think he’s underrated because it’s to noticeable how below average he is in pass coverage.

Love your 5th round picks, though. 3 absolute needs and ST help from those three guys. Man, I would really like to see a guy like Ray Davis get a shot with the Rams. I like this guy not just as a football player, but he seems like a good, inspirational person too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis:

Maybe it’s just me…and Londoner, who think that’s a lotta cheese and draft capital to give up for a guy whose numbers weren’t any better than the Young and Turner last season. There just has to be another way to improve the pass rush. Bringing back Hoecht is a good start. I think he’s underrated because it’s to noticeable how below average he is in pass coverage.

Love your 5th round picks, though. 3 absolute needs and ST help from those three guys. Man, I would really like to see a guy like Ray Davis get a shot with the Rams. I like this guy not just as a football player, but he seems like a good, inspirational person too.
Maybe. But Young and Turner got their numbers WITH Aaron Donald and on a winning team that finished 8th in points scored against vs. 604 passing attempts.

Burns got his numbers WITHOUT Aaron Donald and after a brief holdout while trying not to get hurt. And on a losing team that finished 31st in points scored (481 passing attempts vs. 586 rushing attempts).

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
You can can count me out right here. I might give this years one, not next year too.
Yeah, but from what I understand a 2025 1st rounder today is typically valued as a mid-second rounder today. And if the Rams do what they should do it should be valued even less as it will be at the bottom of the round.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Maybe. But Young and Turner got their numbers WITH Aaron Donald and on a winning team that finished 8th in points scored against 604 passing attempts.

Burns got his numbers WITHOUT Aaron Donald and after a brief holdout while trying not to get hurt. And on a losing team that finished 31st in points scored (481 passing attempts vs. 586 rushing attempts).

Fair point(s).
… but it still seems steep to me. I think the hesitation is that I’m not sure the Rams could not actually have a better overall team by drafting DL/Edge like last year and saving the $$ for a couple decent signings—one of them being Dotson.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fair point(s).
… but it still seems steep to me. I think the hesitation is that I’m not sure the Rams could not actually have a better overall team by drafting DL/Edge like last year and saving the $$ for a couple decent signings—one of them being Dotson.
If that EDGE panned out. And quickly given the Stafford, Kupp, Donald window. And if Dotson doesn't become one of the top 3 paid guards in the NFL.

BTW, I noticed that Burns still had the same number of TFLs than Turner and Young had combined.

Oh well. I guess another option would be to wait and see how things are going closer to the trade deadline on Burns. But methinks it's still going to be costly if they went that route.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the draft with one exception. Burns was worth two first round picks when he still was on his rookie deal for a year and a half. Also, at that time the Rams still felt that they could vie for the Super Bowl. So that made them more desperate and ready to offer more.

IMO the big pay day that he’s seeking should factor in and lower the trade value. Maybe this years first and next years third.

The Rams would be getting the best overall edge rusher on day 1 with this trade. I like Melton. I might lean more Cole Bishop though.

I am a big Ray Davis fan. I’d like to squeeze Vaki in there somewhere. I’m not a huge fan of Mahogoney, but there will likely be a few other interior Olinemen that could be plugged into that slot.