McVay on Joyner and Watkins at Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
My bad, I think you're totally right, in 2014 and 2015 it was moved a few weeks back and it's just stuck in my head that it's stayed that way. Funny how that's worked.
I thought the same thing though. It does feel later for some reason and I have no idea why haha.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we re-sign Joyner and Watkins..No way we flush a 2nd rounder, which allowing Watkins to walk, does...We will save a shytload of cash by letting TruJo go and replace him with a much cheaper, more talented guy like Marcus Peters.

How much is he worth ? It sounds like he is gone. Josh Reynolds is a player McVay talked about.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How much is he worth ? It sounds like he is gone. Josh Reynolds is a player McVay talked about.
TruJo? I don't know, and right now don't care that much. Aint no way we are paying him like the last couple of years..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right but Sammy wants to be here. I think as long as it's a fair deal for Sammy he won't walk. Well at least I hope not

I think he wants to test the market. He will get paid , but his numbers were not good.
There is no excuse , even though McVay could have play called better for him.
McVay totally tried to get Tavon Austin the ball to a fault.

Ram65

Legend
If we lose Watkins, I think it's important to note that we don't necessarily have to replace his entire skill set. We would just need to find someone who could regularly take threaten to take the top off of the defense. I'm a little concerned that Reynolds and Thomas are unproven and while they have sneaky speed, are just short of having elite speed. I wonder if we would go after an aging vet with a tiny bit of juice left in his legs - say an Emmanuel Sanders?

Is Sanders a free agent?

I don't remember much talk about alternatives outside the Rams roster if Sammy walks. Thomas seems to be able to get deep while we have to see how much stronger Reynolds got. I agree that Rams could use a speed guy on the outside. I thinking the Rams won't be able or willing to pay Sammy what other teams will pay him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we lose Watkins, I think it's important to note that we don't necessarily have to replace his entire skill set. We would just need to find someone who could regularly take threaten to take the top off of the defense. I'm a little concerned that Reynolds and Thomas are unproven and while they have sneaky speed, are just short of having elite speed. I wonder if we would go after an aging vet with a tiny bit of juice left in his legs - say an Emmanuel Sanders?

Losing Watkins gives up the 2nd round pick they moved for him, and creates a hole in the roster at X that is going to be difficult to fill this particular offseason.

I wouldn't read too much into McVay's wording on Watkins. He's not the top priority, but I am sure he's still a priority to be retained. Only way that's not the case is if they didn't like something about him in the locker room or how he prepared, etc. To where they feel he won't improve next season. But I see no reason to think that, given how much he was wide the F open last year.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Is Sanders a free agent?

I don't remember much talk about alternatives outside the Rams roster if Sammy walks. Thomas seems to be able to get deep while we have to see how much stronger Reynolds got. I agree that Rams could use a speed guy on the outside. I thinking the Rams won't be able or willing to pay Sammy what other teams will pay him.
FYI - There was talk that the Broncos would cut Sanders (possibly Thomas too), but the current feeling is that he'll be there one more year. They are trying to land a QB in free agency and getting rid of receiver talent could hurt those efforts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do have confidence in Snead/McVay/Phillips in improving the team no matter what. Seem easier just to keep Watkins, especially in considering the 2nd rounder than for Snead to work an extra feat of magic to replace him.......

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

in his acting debut on hard knocks a couple of years ago joyner said he wasn't about the money. let's see how that pans out when free agency comes a knocking.

i don't think the rams let watkins walk. they're not in the business of throwing away 2nd rounders.

Ram65

Legend
FYI - There was talk that the Broncos would cut Sanders (possibly Thomas too), but the current feeling is that he'll be there one more year. They are trying to land a QB in free agency and getting rid of receiver talent could hurt those efforts.

That's what I was thinking. They need need to keep him for the new QB.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that I want Watkins to leave, want to see what he could do in his 2nd year here. But if he does, do we not get a comp pick like we would with Trujo?

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Sanders a free agent?

I think he's listed as a likely cap cut due to roster bonus.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Is Sanders a free agent?

We will see how much SW values the CA climate and winning. We know he likes the weather in CA and if winning isnt important to him, do we really want him on the team?

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Losing Watkins gives up the 2nd round pick they moved for him, and creates a hole in the roster at X that is going to be difficult to fill this particular offseason.

I wouldn't read too much into McVay's wording on Watkins. He's not the top priority, but I am sure he's still a priority to be retained. Only way that's not the case is if they didn't like something about him in the locker room or how he prepared, etc. To where they feel he won't improve next season. But I see no reason to think that, given how much he was wide the F open last year.

Not arguing he's not a priority but just because we prioritize them, doesn't mean they prioritize us. I'm basing my conversation on the fact that we may not sign Joyner before the start of FA, if that's the case we franchise him and lose Watkins (unless we miraculously sign Watkins before FA). There's definitely a chance we can sign both with some combo of tag and long term deal but I think the more likely scenario is Watkins walks into FA. I'm putting it at 70/30 right now.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Not that I want Watkins to leave, want to see what he could do in his 2nd year here. But if he does, do we not get a comp pick like we would with Trujo?
Barring any large FA signings of their own, the Rams would probably get a 3rd for Watkins as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like it's foreign Rams crew time. flv, we should get some betting odds about keeping Watkins, Joyner, and TruJo...I need to overtake the year leader in points!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Is it just possible that McVay really likes Reynolds and Thomas as deep threats?

Maybe it’s not just coachspeak.

Maybe there’s a FA out there that they also like? Much like they felt about Woods last year.

Their actions between now and March 14 will speak volumes about their various strategies regarding multiple UFA’s.

I’m thinking that Watkins is not a slam dunk to be a Ram in ‘18, much less a tagged player.

This group really gets it.