McVay Confident In Offensive Line; Excited For Development Of Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm predicting that if Allen is healthy he's the starter at C. Blythe continued to show his lack of athleticism at C. If he couldn't master RG how does he suddenly become a "serviceable" center? Center is one of the most difficult positions to master in the NFL. Yup they loved Blythe so much he was shown the door and only brought back because of the uncertainly of things due to the virus. Yup he was brought back on a one year deal.

Blythe was a serviceable center last year. And he wasn't shown the door. His contract expired. If allowing a contract to expire automatically means one is shown the door, then Whitworth and all the other free agents got shown the same door. And it's been said that Whitworth's contact is basically a one year deal stretched out to 3 years for salary cap purposes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tremayne From Clemson might be in the mix ?? His size says it is a Excellent spot for him. He is said to be a smart leader type.

That is possible, however, I could see that next year after he was drafted a few mentioned he could be a nice fit at Center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is possible, however, I could see that next year after he was drafted a few mentioned he could be a nice fit at Center.
Watching this TC & preseason as to whom will be involved as our OC's will be interesting for sure. The short squatty size of this ex RT Tremayne Anchrum 6-2/315 does look like an inviting OC prospect for the future. Snead sure loaded the OC boat for this upcoming season.The OC boat has Blythe, Allen, Shelton, Kolone, Trewyn & Cabral. Other members throwing in Austin Corbett & Tremayne Anchrum too.

I just do not see Austin Corbett being moved from his starting LG post & relegated back down into OC reserve competition action behind Blythe. Only way I see this happening is if Noteboom is ready to go & takes back his swing OT position then last half season starter Bobby Evans would be looking for a spot. His best spot outside the swing OT position would be LG.

It may be best for Rookie Anchrum to concentrate on working the two OG posts for this season in order to make this 2020 roster. I think his main competition to succeeding with this is Chandler Brewer. Brewer would appear to be in the OT mix too with Noteboom's availability being a big unknown.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to add to Boni’s take on Corbett, I watched him regularly as he played for the local college. He has it in him to be a good guard or center but not a tackle. I advocated us drafting him but not as a tackle.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Like I've mentioned before;
Improvement in the offensive line comes from working together extensively as a unit.
Our Rams found, due to injury necessity, which guys were able to stand up to the challenge even though two of them were flat-out ROOKIES.
That says a lot about what their ability COULD be with a full camp under their belts and the ability to concentrate on their primary position.
I wasn't sure they were going to hang on to Whitworth because of his price tag but I understand why they did.
That is a solidifying move.

Leaving Corbett at left guard would be a solidifying move.

Having a veteran Center who rarely makes mistakes and is a Pro's Pro, (beyond physical limitations) is a solidifying move.

Edwards IS the Right Guard, (in a solidifying move :) ).

Havenstein was close to being a pro bowler before his injury.

The first guy off the bench will be Evans with the potential of sliding Corbett over to Center.

I don't see ANY problem with the offensive line that they are developing.
Kromer is STILL an excellent offensive line coach.
This is actually how you build an offensive line.

I don't see the problem here. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Like I've mentioned before;
Improvement in the offensive line comes from working together extensively as a unit.
Our Rams found, due to injury necessity, which guys were able to stand up to the challenge even though two of them were flat-out ROOKIES.
That says a lot about what their ability COULD be with a full camp under their belts and the ability to concentrate on their primary position.
I wasn't sure they were going to hang on to Whitworth because of his price tag but I understand why they did.
That is a solidifying move.

Leaving Corbett at left guard would be a solidifying move.

Having a veteran Center who rarely makes mistakes and is a Pro's Pro, (beyond physical limitations) is a solidifying move.

Edwards IS the Right Guard, (in a solidifying move :) ).

Havenstein was close to being a pro bowler before his injury.

The first guy off the bench will be Evans with the potential of sliding Corbett over to Center.

I don't see ANY problem with the offensive line that they are developing.
Kromer is STILL an excellent offensive line coach.
This is actually how you build an offensive line.
I don't see the problem here. ;)
I agree.

This interior OL in 2020 is getting a high influx of players different from 2017/ 2018/ 2019 TC's. Snead has added 2 brand new rookie OL'ers (Cabral/Anchrum) into the interior OL contention this April. Along with the above two, Snead has another 3 interior OL'ers (Trewyn/ Shelton & Corbett), who will be involved in the Rams first time Kromer Training Camp/ Preseason events. My point here is this Kromer interior OL will have many new faces involved that were not here last season.

Not all of these new interior additions are "rookie like"..... this will be Shelton/ Kolone/ Demby/ Corbett's 3rd NFL training camps. It will be Nate Trewyn's second.

Reference Blythe this will be his 1st TC where he will enter as the leading prospect to start @ CENTER. In 2016 & 2017 seasons Blythe was battling for a reserve OL roster position. In 2018/ 2019 he entered camp working specifically on the RG post to start. So now after 4 TC's & preseasons under his belt along with having his shoulder's surgically fine-tuned & his lower leg fully healed ....we should see a rejuvenated Blythe playing in a position that best fits his skills & talents.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The scouts talked about that. They think him being 6”2 is a better spot for him.I’m not sure he makes the squad. I’m saying that looks to be the position that most suites him in the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe was a serviceable center last year. And he wasn't shown the door. His contract expired. If allowing a contract to expire automatically means one is shown the door, then Whitworth and all the other free agents got shown the same door. And it's been said that Whitworth's contact is basically a one year deal stretched out to 3 years for salary cap purposes.

The reason for Whitworths contract being structured as such gives The Rams time to find a LT.
Noteboom hopefully can comeback healthy at some point, & The Rams can get him signed to another contract? If not who becomes The Rams next LT ??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree unless one of the other Centers on the roster besides Brian Allen shows anything.

1. Coleman Shelton
  2. Nate Trewyn
  3. Cohl Cabral

Corbett can also play Center.

I also like Chandler Brewer. He could be a player.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Shelton got sometime and he's bigger at 6'4 300lbs and played at Washington, so, maybe he makes a jump and beats out Brian Allen to backup Blythe.
Allen's is just too undersized for the NFL game IMHO. Too short. Too short arm length. Not enough beef in his frame to get much bigger to anchor. I think that they took too much stock in his wrestling background and that it was going to be enough to cover up his lack of physical traits.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
You know what? Maybe? I was pretty meh about getting Corbett last year. He did come from a dysfunctional organization like the Browns, but you would think that a team who spent a 2nd rounder on a OG and they decided to offload him for a 5th? That says to me that they thought he was garbage, and now we are depending on him to pan out as a starter That seems dangerous to me. There's a whole lotta of hope about this Oline....ugh..

Remember we're talking about the Browns here so traditional wisdom does not apply.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have zero faith in Corbett at any spot other than OG. He didn't respond well to being moved around prior to being in horns, leave him where he has looked comfortable and let the guy settle in.

Anchrum I'm pretty excited about. The guy has a lot of solid tape in college vs good players, really happy with it as I've gone back and watched him. He doesn't stand out, granted, but Jesus we can use a guy who just does his job up front. I value the fuck out of that after this past season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have zero faith in Corbett at any spot other than OG. He didn't respond well to being moved around prior to being in horns, leave him where he has looked comfortable and let the guy settle in.

Anchrum I'm pretty excited about. The guy has a lot of solid tape in college vs good players, really happy with it as I've gone back and watched him. He doesn't stand out, granted, but Jesus we can use a guy who just does his job up front. I value the fuck out of that after this past season.
I agree with you on Austin Corbett & would go on & say that left OG would be his best position. I would plan to keep Corbett @ the same post where he started for 7 gms last season. Right between Whitworth & Blythe just like last season. Moving Corbett around does not help him nor would it add to the great need of OL continuity. I would ask of my ROD cadre who are suggesting moving Corbett away from the LG post ......who are we making a starting place for? Then ask why?

Tremayne Anchrum has some serious work ahead of him to win a master roster position. If this Ol remains healthy its unlikely that he wins one of those top 8 OL positions. As it looks now those 8 positions would be close to whom were our top 8 @ the end of the 2019 season.

LT- Whitworth
LG- Corbett
OC- Blythe
RG- Edwards
RT- Havenstein
#6-Swing OT- Evans
#7-Swing OG- Brewer
#8-Reserve OC- Shelton
(PUP) Noteboom

I see TA's best targeted position for him to aim at would be as #9 position. Using his talents & skills to be versatile enough to work as a Reserve RG/LG/RT OL'er. But @ the moment I believe Kromer will fill that #9 OL position with a OL'er who would be more combo center/OG type. Kromer has a good amount of signed Ol'ers fighting for that #9 position (Allen/ Kolone/ Trewyn/ Cabral).Not sure that TA can fill the role @ OC that remains to be seen. The probable landing position for TA is on the practice squad.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can understand why many of you guys want to see Austin Corbett stay at left guard. My opinion, however, is that Kromer and McVay need to work with these guys in the preseason and figure out where their best positions are. I still think David Edwards might be a good tackle, and Bobby Evans a better guard. Maybe Corbett is a better center. I don't know how the hell Kromer figures this stuff out, but that's his job. Play the best 5 guys and let them grow together this year. It only takes a few games to gel as a unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
LT- Whitworth
LG- Corbett
OC- Blythe
RG- Edwards
RT- Havenstein
#6-Swing OT- Evans
#7-Swing OG- Brewer
#8-Reserve OC- Shelton
(PUP) Noteboom
I wouldn't give Shelton any special consideration tbh. He has more time under Kromer working at Center, but he's a plodding type dude and that's not generally a good thing in this scheme. I think he's very much on the bubble. He's the guy Anchrum should be gunning for.

And I realize it's commonly assumed that Allen's a cut but I think he'll be our C2 this year.

If I'm Anchrum I'm going all-in though to work on the mental side at Center to try to make a move next year but either way I think he will have a shot to get himself on the depth chart at OG so if he can show a bit at the pivot he'll probably beat out Shelton.

Evans btw... I don't think he has enough strength to be an OG, prefer they dial him in at LT with an eye to him being the LT2.