McClain Thinks It's Between Clowney and Manziel for Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
John McClain from the Houston Chronicle joins Mike Florio to discuss what the Texans will do with the first-overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. McClain says deciding between Jadaveon Clowney and Johnny Manizel will be rough for the Texans and breaks down who the team would select if the draft was today. He says they don't want to trade down beyond #6 if they trade down. He thinks the Robinson visit is just a ruse to perhaps get the Rams to trade up to get him. McClain said he'd take Manziel if he were making the pick. (14:07)

Watch McClain/Florio Talk Texans Pick

Good Interview

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
John McClain from the Houston Chronicle joins Mike Florio to discuss what the Texans will do with the first-overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. McClain says deciding between Jadaveon Clowney and Johnny Manizel will be rough for the Texans and breaks down who the team would select if the draft was today. He says they don't want to trade down beyond #6 if they trade down. He thinks the Robinson visit is just a ruse to perhaps get the Rams to trade up to get him. McClain said he'd take Manziel if he were making the pick. (14:07)

Watch McClain/Florio Talk Texans Pick

Good Interview

Clowney, quite possibly, although I'd go WR,.... maybe that's why I'm not a head coach.

Manziel, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Rams pick a QB in the first round....especially one with as many "holes" as this guy has.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hope it's Manziel! Be nice to have that card in our hands! Take him or trade down for more picks! Win-win!

radjohns

UDFA
Other than being from Texas, Manziel playing for O'Brien makes zero sense to me.

V3

Hall of Fame
I will be absolutely SHOCKED if they take Manziel. I can't see it happening. I would have to say the owner stepped in and overruled everyone else if that happened.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Hasn't McClain been saying all along that there is no chance that the Texans take anything other than a QB at 1? Now he says that Clowney is in the mix (not that any if us thought otherwise). I just find it amusing that someone who was so vehemently staying that it's a QB at 1 has now flipped.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would not want to be known as the GM who passed on Clowney.

That cuts both ways.

They need a QB bad. If one of those guys has success elsewhere they'll be kicking themselves for failing to fill that position with the top pick when they had it.

Besides, I like Clowney, but I don't view him as risk free either.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Why would the Rams trade up for Robinson? They would just take Matthews if they wanted an OT bad enough.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why would the Rams trade up for Robinson? They would just take Matthews if they wanted an OT bad enough.
Yeah I was wondering where that came from too, no way anyone wants Robinson that bad

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Houston would crazy to pick Khalil Mack at number 1. Not going to happen. Houston needs a QB.

Snead should be able to undercut any trade down Houston attempts to make. Houston is Macy's we are Walmart.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Houston would crazy to pick Khalil Mack at number 1. Not going to happen. Houston needs a QB.

Snead should be able to undercut any trade down Houston attempts to make. Houston is Macy's we are Walmart.

I hear you but if Houston doesnt see a Franchise QB in this draft (which is pretty weak at the qb position) I think it would be foolish to take one purely based on need. Unfortunately, I think we may miss out on Clowney for this very reason

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Ugh, can we use Target an our analogy. Walmart and it's business model gives me the creeps.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I hear you but if Houston doesnt see a Franchise QB in this draft (which is pretty weak at the qb position) I think it would be foolish to take one purely based on need. Unfortunately, I think we may miss out on Clowney for this very reason

Houston is Macy's and we are Target. Thanks for the suggestion Stranger. I agree, Walmart is creepy scary. There is a wonderful horror book called The Store by Bentley Little. Totally Walmart hyperbolized. Buy it used from the Amazon business model. A penny plus $3.99 shipping.

Clowney is a definite possibility. Yet, I think Houston believes they slip into the 2014 playoffs Maybe they can get to the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Clowney. But, if Houston want's one this years top 4 QB' they'll have to pick him in the first round.

I don't think Houston ends up with a top 10 pick next year. Vegas has the Houston Texan's over under at 8.5 wins.

What about this logic train of thought?
If Houston attempts to trade down, that would mean they don't want Jadeveon Clowney. Right?

Suppose Snead wants trade down too. If team X , wants to trade up for Jadeveon Clowney, Snead can and probably would undercut Houston's asking price. And that team could still pick Clowney with the 2nd pick. Does that make sense?

Therefore, if Houston makes a trade down, and the team they trade with takes a QB, we know the Rams want Clowney, because Snead would have undercut Houston's asking price, and the Rams will keep their #2 pick and take Jadeveon Clowney.

So either Houston takes Clowney with #1 pick, or the Rams or a team that traded with the Rams takes Clowney at 2. Therefore, it's very unlikely Clowney slips past #2.

Please feel free to tear apart my twisted logic, or add your own addendum. I'm not saying the above will happen. I'm just supposing.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Does history play an part in this? Houston has shown in the past that they aren't afraid of taking the best defensive player over a supposed need on offense. Maybe Reggie Bush wasn't as much of a need as a QB is for them this year but taking Mario Williams first overall was a bit of a bold move for them. Maybe they do the same this year with Clowney.