Malcom Brown gets offer sheet from Lions - Rams Match It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Brown is staying

That's surprising to me. He's a good blocker and receiver, but he's nothing special as a runner. He gets what is blocked and runs hard, but he's not that athletic.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
That's surprising to me. He's a good blocker and receiver, but he's nothing special as a runner. He gets what is blocked and runs hard, but he's not that athletic.

I really believe McVay loves him as the #2 or even the #3 rb bc he does a little bit of everything. I don’t think it means we won’t pull the trigger if a rb they love is sitting there in the 5th round or later. Assuming they don’t believe Kelly can get the job done in the future.

Plus I believe the rams actually saved about a half million by matching the offer compared to what they originally tendered him at. So thank you for that Detroit!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m good with this signing. Unlike C.J., who can’t run to the outside, and is weak in receiving out of the backfield, thus changing the Rams offense when he is being used, making it easier for the defense to scheme against, Brown plays into the Rams style of offense, keeping the defense on their heels. My only concern is that he does seem to get injured regularly. But with John Kelly I feel we’ll be just fine. Plus the Rams can always find another running back who isn’t signed if needed like they did with C.J..
So yes I’m glad they chose Brown over C,J., as Brown fits in with the Rams.
Plus let’s not forget that there have been rumblings that C.J. is asking to be a starter, and if that’s the case then he made the choice simple for the Rams.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I am a little shocked by those who don't like Brown. I really like his ability to hit the line with power and agility both up the middle and the edges.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Wish we could keep all three. But I like it.

I hope CJ gets the chance to start somewhere. Preferably back in the AFC.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
CJ isn't a receiving threat, Brown is more versatile and was having a good run before a fluke clavicle injury. He's also huge on special teams.

CJ was a better fit and offered a different look to the offense than when Gurley was in.

Which made the opposing defenses scramble and lanes would open.

CJ is a different style of runner which could have easily made playing Gurley and CJ in a 60/40 split, plausible and EFFICIENT.

Agreed to disagree.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This says to me that Kelly plays a bigger role in receiving next year.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, this can be killed. Saw that it has been reported in the other thread.

Ram65

Legend
They could want to tell Brown the good news first.

And so they did.....

Smart money investment with little risk. He may not be the wow type back but, he gets it done in the three phases. He can run, block and catch the football.

I would like to see what John Kelly can do. He has that early quick burst. Rams can see how Gurley plays this year and go from there. I'm sure they will have another in camp with Justin Davis.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure they will have another in camp with Justin Davis.

I'd guess a couple of UDFAs, unless someone they really like falls in the draft and they want to lock him up. A UDFA would save the Rams about $150k over Davis - not a whole bunch - but also Davis is an RFA after this season, AND hasn't actually shown much in games. So basically, Davis will need to outplay the competition in training camp to keep his roster spot.

Last edited:

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I think CJA would've been better able to threaten the edge and better in this offense if he wasn't hauling around that flak jacket of fat. Was hoping to see that after OTAs, etc. Oh well.

I'm presuming that if he was willing to sign for similar/less than MB, he'd be here. Wasn't going to happen.

Moving on. Best wishes to him except in games of Rams' interest.

View: https://twitter.com/cjandersonb22/status/1109098100843520000

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Although Brown is limited I think he offers a lot in his versatility, he might not be great in any one area but he's pretty good in every area. With him in for Gurley the entire playbook is still open.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This says to me that Kelly plays a bigger role in receiving next year.
How so? Wouldn't it make more sense to sign a guy like CJ who's a better runner and lacks as a receiver if they were to increase Kelly's role?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think Brown has done very well in his limited opportunities.